IGNORED

'i'll Settle For Fourth From Bottom'

Dave L

'I'll settle for fourth from bottom'. Several people have used this phrase over recent weeks, and there does seem to have been a fair amount of realism about our prospects for the coming season. Maybe next May, still being in the Championship will be viewed as an achievement. But will it feel like that as the season is under way? In order to finish fourth from bottom, we'll have to lose a hell of a lot of games. Will this sense of optimism and realism survive a few defeats on the trot and a constant flirtation with the relegation zone? Somehow I think not.

'I'll settle for fourth from bottom'. Several people have used this phrase over recent weeks, and there does seem to have been a fair amount of realism about our prospects for the coming season. Maybe next May, still being in the Championship will be viewed as an achievement. But will it feel like that as the season is under way? In order to finish fourth from bottom, we'll have to lose a hell of a lot of games. Will this sense of optimism and realism survive a few defeats on the trot and a constant flirtation with the relegation zone? Somehow I think not.

Obviously people want us to finish as high as possble. I've said that I would happily settle for finishing 21st as it means we are in the Championship for another season. If we can finish 14th then great, brilliant achievement, but if we do finish 21st, then, its still job done.

I would be happy to see us not losing too many at home and picking up a few points away. I think away points will be at a premium and people will have to get used to a few stinging defeats. If we can make 34 points at home (8 wins 10 draws) I think we will get enough points away to stay up.

There will be far more games this season where we will be expected to lose which should relieve the pressure a bit.

Settle for 4th from bottom?

Looking at our last 6 games we have Norwich, Wolves and Preston at home and Saints, Stoke and Sheff U away. As a promotion run in I think that's pretty tough , don't you?

Colchester is another example, but they had a one off season and will this year most certainly go down after losing iwelumo and cureton. same goes for s****horpe. keogh is already at wolves, and sharp looks to be definitely on the move.

its only a matter of time before these teams go back to where they came from, but we are different.

unlike these teams, we can keep all of our good players AND enhance our squad further.

with qpr, blackpool, s****horpe being our first 3 games, we could well be top by september!

:city:

Are City 'different'?

Look at the facts so far.

As yet City have signed 1 outfield player and not released anyone who was a first teamer last season.Most of us agree that with last years squad that City would struggle to be a force in the CCC.Some even think that City would struggle to survive.

We hope and expect more signing to be annouced pretty soon and it all depends on who these players are and what positions they fill.

To answer the question at the start of this thread - I would not be happy with a fourth from bottom finish.Such a position suggests a very tough and anxiety ridden season.I would much prefer any anxiety to be focused on whether we can reach the play-offs rather than avoiding relegation.

Hand on heart mid-table obscurity will be fine by me.

I suppose the crux of the question is whether or not you would consider finishing fourth from bottom a success come the end of the season. We will all experience ups and downs on the way but for me it is about separating ambition from what would be enough to leave us satisfied come May.

We have to have ambitions to make an impact in the division - that is why we are here. It's what sport is all about. Anything other than an ambition to exceed what is expected of us would be demonstrating a lack of fighting spirit and that would be unacceptable.

That said, if we are in a position this time next year where we are still in the CCC, I think anyone would be hard pressed to put together a convincing argument that the season was a failure. Looking at the resources at our disposal, at our fanbase and at the competition around us, I think it is perfectly reasonable for GJ to bill this as a consolidation season (not that I have actually heard him saying that) and, to my mind, consolidation is all about retaining CCC status and using that as a foundation from which to push on in 2008/09.

Putting it more concisely...

Would I settle for fourth from bottom? Yes.

I'm sorry but i wont, my expectations went up when season tickets went up by 30%, mid- table at least. if season tickets had gone up by say 10%or 15% then id have settled for fourth bottom.

I would settle for tenth. Perhaps my expectations are too high but that is what I would settle for. If we finish fourth from bottom then I'll live with it but would be slightly disappointed.

P.S. My expectations have nothing to do with season ticket prices - you still have to be realistic and look at the players you have/are trying to acquire and they are not going to be top 6 material.

Depends which way to look at it really:

1) If we happen to be struggling in 23rd/24th place in the league and then have a great finish to the season - i would take 4th from bottom.

2) If we have a good season and play good football - i would expect more than 4th from bottom.

3) if we play poor but on the occasion grind out a result - i would take 4th from bottom.

I'm sorry but i wont, my expectations went up when season tickets went up by 30%, mid- table at least. if season tickets had gone up by say 10%or 15% then id have settled for fourth bottom.

An excellant point and one that hadn't occured to me.

But...all of us would settle for fourth bottom rather than below it.

God, I hope GJ and the players aren't looking at this thread.

I was watching Kill Bill 2 last night and the long bearded Chinese blokie said something like "If you plan for defeat you are likely to be successful" (strokes long white beard). Whilst I question his dress sense, I can't argue with his philosphy.

For that reason I will be disappointed if we don't finish 6th or above :)

patience is going to be required by all and we all know how good we are at being patient

That was the point of my post really. Everyone is projecting forward to the end of the season and talking about what they might be reasonably happy with then. It's whether or not people can retain the same objectivity during the season that I think might be open to question.

That was the point of my post really. Everyone is projecting forward to the end of the season and talking about what they might be reasonably happy with then. It's whether or not people can retain the same objectivity during the season that I think might be open to question.

You already know the answer to that one Dave.

No doubt someone will trawl through' the archives and find this thread if City are struggling next season.

As Del Boy would say "No way Pedro"

All this fourth from bottom malarky went straight out of the window when the ST prices went up 30% and POD almost became a thing of the past with 40% hikes and silly rules in the EE for youngsters.

Those rises, we're told, will enable us to compete and compete to yours truly means just that-not losing loads of games!!

I expect signings-quality ones and to do as well as Colchester did last season.I don't want to see Skuse go unless he's replaced by a good young defensive midfielder either and/or the moneys silly, ala Cotterill.

Clubs like Watford have shown, twice under two different managers, that you don't have to break the bank to reach the promised land-albeit, you have to do a lot more than they did if you want to stay there for more than a season!

Onwards & Upwards David-Onwards & Upwards!!

When people say ''I'd settle for...'' what exactly are you on about? what will the consequences be if not achieved?

No renewed ST next season? Might stamp your feet and have a big girly fit or what?

FTR: I would settle for 4th bottom because it would be a foundation to build on and would represent our highest finish in 12 odd years.

In all honesty, the excitment of staying up on the final day would outstrip mid-table mediocracy and having nothing to play for with 8 games to go easily.

People bringing ST prices into it is nonsical for me, no one really knows what the future holds, it's all a bit ''wait and see''.... that's the way things are and that's what makes Football and life, exciting.

If Big Col knew we'd be finishing top do you think we'd not be paying top ST bills? Football is a gamble, both in terms of finance and faith.

In sum, I just don't know, we could be in the Premiership this time next year!

Depends which way to look at it really:

1) If we happen to be struggling in 23rd/24th place in the league and then have a great finish to the season - i would take 4th from bottom.

2) If we have a good season and play good football - i would expect more than 4th from bottom.

3) if we play poor but on the occasion grind out a result - i would take 4th from bottom.

yeh, i will go along with that

if we remain in the championship for 5 years (or if not, promotion to premiership) i am a very very happy man

I won't settle for 21st, stuff that.

I'll settle for City's players and management giving their all in every match home and away. They do that and they have the collective ability to finish well above 21st (and that includes cold wet Tuesday nights oop north).

We're used to seeing City win more often than lose and we can still moan (I include myself wholeheartedly) so to accept 21st now would be difficult if not virtually impossible to acceed to.

I travel to away games with a friend who attended 11 away games last season, he only witnessed us lose once, it was early season, players were not available for selection! At Tranmere (he went to Boro but claims the moral draw). Some of these games were bogey matches, ie we never get a result there, ever, so he's expecting some battling performances in the Championship and why not!

If we can get a goalscorer in, a left winger and a street wise central midfielder I can see us being comfortable mid table and maybe even flirting with a play off place.

agreed, because of the increase, do feel that they have raised the bar, and in saying that the increase will finance fight to stay in the championship, people are entitled to expect more,

people are happy to say be happy to finish 4 from bottom, but I do wonder how the feel half way into the season, if we are losing a few games at home, we all know how fickle a lot of supporters can be, esp after forking out £425

Short answer - No, I wouldn't. It may be controversial but if it came down to it, I'd prefer to see us winning in a lower division than losing week in week out in a higher division. Ofcourse, I'd rather see us winning in a higher division, but so long as we're winnning. Watching City loose just isn't fun. It makes me sad and ruins my whole week (or at least the next few days in the case of a mid week match). If we lose that too it just makes it worse!

I'm not a glory hunter that only supports the winning team (Lord knows I've proved that by supporting the reds - and growing up in a Sheff Wed stronghold (back when they were good) wasn't too much fun!) but football is the cause of too much heartache and not enough joy when you're losing all the time.

Archived