IGNORED

65 Premiership Players Available On A Free

Eddie Hitler

i would have kevin lisbie on trial hes a goalscorer and surely ready 4 a drop to the ccc, and he could be the quick goalscorer we need 2 stay up!!! :fingerscrossed:

:clap: Couldn't agree with you more about lisbie, i think he would do a great job i really do. Mark Delaney would also be a good quality addition but i think we would have more chance with lisbie. :city:

:clap: Couldn't agree with you more about lisbie, i think he would do a great job i really do. Mark Delaney would also be a good quality addition but i think we would have more chance with lisbie. :city:

That's 16 in 155 Kevin Lisbie? The one who tried to enginneer a move to Arsenal when he couldn't get in Charlton's first team? He's 28 and he's played 189 games in 10 years and scored 24 goals!

Actually, as a non goal scoring striker he fits the bill!

That's 16 in 155 Kevin Lisbie? The one who tried to enginneer a move to Arsenal when he couldn't get in Charlton's first team? He's 28 and he's played 189 games in 10 years and scored 24 goals!

Actually, as a non goal scoring striker he fits the bill!

he's had very bad injury problems and has been in the premiership for a long time now. well done you can read a website like the rest of us, whenever i have seen him play he has looked tidy, and i think johnson could get the best out of him. Lets just say i think he would be better than williams. jevons and would be a good signing if another target doesn't pull through, if he's fit obviously, surely also hi wages wouldn't be that high??

he's had very bad injury problems and has been in the premiership for a long time now. well done you can read a website like the rest of us, whenever i have seen him play he has looked tidy, and i think johnson could get the best out of him. Lets just say i think he would be better than williams. jevons and would be a good signing if another target doesn't pull through, if he's fit obviously, surely also hi wages wouldn't be that high??

I can indeed read a website. I looked up his stats rather than saying, "isn't he crap and injured all the time?" without backing it up. I remember the story about Arsenal just because of how laughable his comments were.

What makes you think Johnson could when Curbishley couldn't? What makes GJ better than him?

Couldn't agree more Frank.....well put.

It seems to be the same old people who rule players out due to wage demands. Come on guys, change the record!!

What surprises me is that no-one has approached Robbie Fowler according to the BBC, I think the guy could do a great job in the CCC....more than Sutton (Celtic Scum)

Change the record????

How much do you think RF would want a week, 4,5,6 grand, don't make me laugh, more than we can afford is the answer, GJ will not be held to ransom, that goes for wages aswell as transfer fees.

Change the record????

How much do you think RF would want a week, 4,5,6 grand, don't make me laugh, more than we can afford is the answer, GJ will not be held to ransom, that goes for wages aswell as transfer fees.

There's an old saying in sport - you are a very long time retired.

For professional footballers nothing can replace the adrenalin surge of playing in front of a crowd. If you look at Robbie Fowler ( alledgedly one of the wealthiest footballers due to his property investments) all the money in the world and possessions cannot buy, and will not replace what he felt on the pitch and the buzz of goalscoring.

The cynics might say that top players get to the point where they don't need to play and will go of and enjoy their money and a long retirement, but perhaps if Fowler doesn't have a team the thought of sitting on his backside every Saturday might focus his mind on the salary he is looking for?

Change the record????

io wolfie, calm down! I didn't say about us taking Fowler on, all I commented on was the fact nobody has approached him and that I thought he was a better signing than Sutton.

Nobody knows what we are willing to pay a player, not even you my friend :disapointed2se: What makes you the GJ expert on pay scales, eh?

io wolfie, calm down! I didn't say about us taking Fowler on, all I commented on was the fact nobody has approached him and that I thought he was a better signing than Sutton.

Nobody knows what we are willing to pay a player, not even you my friend :disapointed2se: What makes you the GJ expert on pay scales, eh?

I was using RF as an example, I was trying to empathise that RF and the like will be demanding too much in the way of wages, I am not saying I am an expert, I am just saying that we will not be dramatically expanding the wages structure at the club (significantly) to accomodate individuals.

Obviously we are trying to attract higher quality players in a higher league now, so would be signings may expect more in the way of wages, this is acceptable and part and parcel of our promotion, however, we will not pay inflated, ridiculous wages.

Robbie Fowler - if he wants to continue his footballing days will no doubt be playing for Tranmere or the likes - he doesn't need the money and yes he is far better than Chris Sutton - you know the guy who turned down England B because it was beneath him - with that kind of attitude surprised anyone wil take him - will he play for anyone for £3k - £5k per week or is it below him?

I'll never forget a hat trick Lisbie scored against Liverpool a few years ago..awesome.

Alas, I agree with the people here that say he is not good enough now. RF just isn't the striker I would want either, would prefer a hungrier striker from divison below.

I don't, IMO think GJ will look at them twice.

Sheringham joins Colchester

One for the knee-jerk "wages" crowd. Little cash-strapped Colchester sign Teddy Sheringham; he was alos considering teh mighty Bournemouth.

Still think every single player who's played in the premiership is beyond the humble means of Bristol City?

It's not a "knee-jerk "wages" crowd" but a combination of factors as to why alot of people instantly dismiss players like Sheringham.

Short termism - GJ seems to like players that can improve their game, he likes to improve players perhaps out of ego, perhaps because he wants have a team that improves together while it's moving up the leagues. That's his style so suggesting players that clearly don't fit in with that doesn't make too much sense.

Athleticism - Old and past it players like Teddy don't fit our system and work ethic. All of GJ's signings are athletic and fit players, or if they're not naturally like Enoch he'll try to turn them into them. Alternatively suggesting players like Malcolm Christie is equally stupid, since when has GJ looked at a player with such an horrific injury record?

Wages - Yeah it's a factor. Not in Sheringhams case but it would seem, if there's interest in a player from higher up the league we'd have to pay more money than them no doubt. GJ won't do this as we're trying to keep some sort of wage structure.

In Sheringham's specific case he's going to Colchester to see out his career and to do his coaching badges. Good for him but it flies in the face of everything we are as a club and GJ seems to be as a manager for us to sign him.

Until GJ deviates from his signing pattern of under 30's who can improve, from abroad or the lower leagues or Premiership kids then it's easy to dismiss Sheringhams of this world. It's not "knee-jerk "wages" crowd" it's an aplication of evidence and logic.

I was using RF as an example, I was trying to empathise that RF and the like will be demanding too much in the way of wages, I am not saying I am an expert, I am just saying that we will not be dramatically expanding the wages structure at the club (significantly) to accomodate individuals.

Obviously we are trying to attract higher quality players in a higher league now, so would be signings may expect more in the way of wages, this is acceptable and part and parcel of our promotion, however, we will not pay inflated, ridiculous wages.

It has been reported that Teddy is talking a pay cut to around 5K to 6K to join colchester. Granted that at the age of 41, if he wants to continue playing, he would have to expect that. It does show that players can be attacted to less glamourous clubs. The likes of RF and co should have enough coffers in the bank to take the pay cut if they wish to continue playing for the love of the game. If not, they can bog off elsewhere or retire.

He would be a great signing for the right price. Personally I hope we bag Finny as we need speed to keep up with "Billy Whizz" Sproule

Archived