IGNORED

Hardest Shot At The Gate.

WarksRed

I was discussing this recently, well you have to discuss something at this time of year.

i think it was Terry Bush back in the 60's .

i remember one goal he hit from halfway inside the oposition half, not far in from the touchline in front of what is now the Dolman stand, it was still rising when it screamed just inside the far post.

and in those days the balls were not like the balloons they are now .

lets hear your views and who you think

:englandflag:

I was discussing this recently, well you have to discuss something at this time of year.

i remember one goal he hit from halfway inside the oposition half, not far in from the touchline in front of what is now the Dolman stand, it was still rising when it screamed just inside the far post.

When I read the title of the post I immediately thought of Terry Bush and that goal.

It's one that I have always remembered.

I found it amazing when I read the post itself that you describe it exactly as I remember it.

I was on the terrace at the open end, where the tunnel is now, and was right behind the shot.

It just kept coming at me in a straight line gradually rising until it hit the net in the top corner.

Unbelievable!!!

When I read the title of the post I immediately thought of Terry Bush and that goal.

It's one that I have always remembered.

I found it amazing when I read the post itself that you describe it exactly as I remember it.

I was on the terrace at the open end, where the tunnel is now, and was right behind the shot.

It just kept coming at me in a straight line gradually rising until it hit the net in the top corner.

Unbelievable!!!

well its fifty years for me soon watching them at the gate Tucks, and i've never seen a shot hit harder in all that time

:clapping:

I remember that about 50 years ago, we had a left winger named Johnnie Watkins and in one match I was in the covered end (Wedlocks) when he hit a shot so hard that it broke the net at that end. This was when we had a small wooden stand where the Dolman is know. I've never seen a ball hit harder.

rob newman without a doubt

• SC&T Board Members

I bow to the greater knowledge of those with 50 years service.

With a mere 40 or so myself, I was going to say Norman Hunter. Few with more clout from a dead ball since the late 60s... though Jimmy Mann comes close.

I can recall Greg Goodridge sucessfully rewarding the opposition with a throw-in through one of his ''attempts'' one time, that gave me a wry but memorable smile.

Other than that, sorry. Shaun Taylor did regularly head a ball further than I could probably kick it mind you.

One of my true City idols.

Norman Hunter :clapping:

A run up similar to Bob Willis, used to run from way back and thump it :superman:

or Jimmy Mann :dancing2:

I'm with you redmin! Norms free kick against Man city (I think) stands out in my memory. I have been told the keeper (Englands Joe Corrigan) caught his boot!

Super Jimmy Mann (my fav player) could give it a fair whack too!

Great memories.

U REDS

yeah Alan Walsh & Rob Newman sprang to mind, also I'm thinking there was some sort of competition in the late 80's for the hardest shot and I thought we had someone up near the top. Just been trying to look it up and found this.

"David Hirst of Sheffield Wednesday hit a official shot Against Arsenal it 111 mph in a league game in the early 1990's ....

but the hardest shot of all time was by Joe Ernst in 1971 which knocked the keeper back 3-4 yards snapping his neck and back on the post killing him instantly. Joe was jailed for manslaughter (as he been warned previously by the ref for hitting shots too hard) and committed suicide 4 months later.... :( ..... Joe average shot was estimated between 180 to 220 mph !!!!!!!!" :shocking:

Also read this guy could hit the ball Geert hard. But never seen him..

http://www.citystats.org.uk/playerdetail.a...80&filter=M

yeah Alan Walsh & Rob Newman sprang to mind, also I'm thinking there was some sort of competition in the late 80's for the hardest shot and I thought we had someone up near the top. Just been trying to look it up and found this.

"David Hirst of Sheffield Wednesday hit a official shot Against Arsenal it 111 mph in a league game in the early 1990's ....

but the hardest shot of all time was by Joe Ernst in 1971 which knocked the keeper back 3-4 yards snapping his neck and back on the post killing him instantly. Joe was jailed for manslaughter (as he been warned previously by the ref for hitting shots too hard) and committed suicide 4 months later.... :( ..... Joe average shot was estimated between 180 to 220 mph !!!!!!!!" :shocking:

Also read this guy could hit the ball Geert hard. But never seen him..

http://www.citystats.org.uk/playerdetail.a...80&filter=M

Mind you, Joe Jordan could strike it mind. I remember a goal he scored after coming on as sub in front of the open end (i think). Can't remember who it was against, but he cut inside and hit it from about 30 yards and it was almost in the net before it had even left his foot!

Lee Peacock used to be able to hit them when he wanted to. Sometimes it worked (free kick away at Swindon c2003) and sometimes it didn't (THAT penalty at Cambridge).

In other news someone mentioned throw ins. I saw Andy Legg playing for some Welsh side in the Euro qualifiers during the week. Still set up two goals from that stupidly long throw in. And didn't he retire because of a tumour in his neck? Fair play to him. Despite his obvious sin I thought he was quite good with the banter.

Lee Peacock used to be able to hit them when he wanted to. Sometimes it worked (free kick away at Swindon c2003) and sometimes it didn't (THAT penalty at Cambridge).

In other news someone mentioned throw ins. I saw Andy Legg playing for some Welsh side in the Euro qualifiers during the week. Still set up two goals from that stupidly long throw in. And didn't he retire because of a tumour in his neck? Fair play to him. Despite his obvious sin I thought he was quite good with the banter.

Lee Matthews had a rocket on his leg. Remember that free kick at Cheltenham when we had our yellow and green away kit?

Archived