IGNORED

Finbogasson (if That Is How You Spell It)

Pack’s Chin

I know he is only young, and probably has bags of potential - but I am concerned that he appears to be another addition to the famous GJ list of strikers who have never scored a professional goal!

- Bas Savage

- Andy Smith

Now Finnbogason?

I know he is only young, and probably has bags of potential - but I am concerned that he appears to be another addition to the famous GJ list of strikers who have never scored a professional goal!

- Bas Savage

- Andy Smith

Now Finnbogason?

The difference being Bas Savage didnt score 24 in 28 reserve games.

to be honest i know the reserves obviously isnt as much of a stage, but he must be able to finish to have a record like that.

- Bas Savage

- Andy Smith

Now Finnbogason?

tough to score a goal in professional football, when you haven't actually played a game in professional football???

2 Words

Steven & Gillespie

Remember how much "Potential" he had and the Liverpool's fans dismay at him leaving.

We need minimum someone proven at this level or higher who could get 10-15 and ensure our safety.

however, both Gillespie and Finbogasson weren't being looked at as instant players for the first team. both very much players for the future.

besides, it's only a Trial and Johnson has said he is talking to clubs about other players, so I'd imagine that his signing would be in addition to other forwards being looked at and not as being our main forward signing

We need minimum someone proven at this level or higher who could get 10-15 and ensure our safety.

These are the guys who did it last year - perhaps you could narrow it down for me and let me know which of these guys you want us to sign

Jamie Cureton 23

Michael Chopra 22

Diomansy Kamara 20

Grzegorz Rasiak 18

Robert Earnshaw 19

Chris Iwelumo 18

Kevin Phillips 15

Steven Howard 16

Alan Lee 16

Gary McSheffrey 14

David Nugent 15

Freddy Eastwood 11

Kenwyne Jones 14

Rowan Vine 13

Dexter Blackstock 13

Andy Gray 14

Barry Hayles 13

Iain Hume 13

David Connolly 13

Steven MacLean 12

Clinton Morrison 12

Deon Burton 12

Marcus Tudgay 11

Nicklas Bendtner 11

Chris Brunt 11

Carlos Edwards 11

Sylvan Ebanks-Blake 10

Martin Rowlands 10

Daryl Murphy 10

Marek Saganowski 10

Nathan Ellington 10

Ricardo Fuller 10

David Healy 10

These are the guys who did it last year - perhaps you could narrow it down for me and let me know which of these guys you want us to sign

Jamie Cureton 23

Michael Chopra 22

Diomansy Kamara 20

Grzegorz Rasiak 18

Robert Earnshaw 19

Chris Iwelumo 18

Kevin Phillips 15

Steven Howard 16

Alan Lee 16

Gary McSheffrey 14

David Nugent 15

Freddy Eastwood 11

Kenwyne Jones 14

Rowan Vine 13

Dexter Blackstock 13

Andy Gray 14

Barry Hayles 13

Iain Hume 13

David Connolly 13

Steven MacLean 12

Clinton Morrison 12

Deon Burton 12

Marcus Tudgay 11

Nicklas Bendtner 11

Chris Brunt 11

Carlos Edwards 11

Sylvan Ebanks-Blake 10

Martin Rowlands 10

Daryl Murphy 10

Marek Saganowski 10

Nathan Ellington 10

Ricardo Fuller 10

David Healy 10

well said, you are talking about SERIOUS money for any players who are in that bracket, they are very hard to find at this level with the amount of money we have to spend.

How about a loan signing? If we want qualilty quickly at minimal cost then perhaps we can go down that route.

Bendtner at the Gate??? :noexpression: (I know, I'm dreaming)

Loans can be good and loans can be bad.

Positives:

May not have to pay full wage budget

No transfer fee

If the loan goes well the player will almost certainly be tempted in signing permanently

Negatives:

Not permanent

Can be recalled

Tony Dinning (Plays well on loan to impress, get his contract and then relaxes)

How about a loan signing? If we want qualilty quickly at minimal cost then perhaps we can go down that route.

Bendtner at the Gate??? :noexpression: (I know, I'm dreaming)

I think that's the only way to be honest, unless the scouts get lucky (no disrespect to the scouts but it is a very tricky task!) and do a Wenger uncovering a gem, then I'd say loaning a quality yoof needing experience is the best bet. Although Bendtner signed for Brum didn't he?

I think that's the only way to be honest, unless the scouts get lucky (no disrespect to the scouts but it is a very tricky task!) and do a Wenger uncovering a gem, then I'd say loaning a quality yoof needing experience is the best bet. Although Bendtner signed for Brum didn't he?

Yeah, was at Brum but has gone to back to Arsenal now. However Arsenal have just signed Eduardo the Silva so unlikely he will get a run next season.

I genuinely think that if we had the money, one of the Sheff Wed lads should be a target.

Maclean, Tudgay or Burton would be handy I think. Opinions?

Bendtner was far from cheap even on loan. Think 5 figure wages and a large fee.

When people say they want established players what they really mean is that they want players they are confident are good enough. It doesn't matter where players come from if they are good enough. In fact it's better than they are not "established" because that just means they cost more.

A big part of being a good manager in my eyes is finding players that are better than their price tag. I'd say that even though I'm not particularly impressed with the idea of Showunmi or Jevons up front next season, we've already had value for money out of both. We got value for money in every permanent signing with the possible exception of Betsy really.

Therefore, if GJ is confident that Finbogasson has what it takes for this level, or will in the near future, then excellent. Everything I've read about the player has been positive. He's not going to cost a fortune. GJ's judgement so far has been sound.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see us sign Billy Sharp - but bear in mind that at one point he cost S****horpe £100k. And that was because the manager at the time recognised that he was a great deal better than that. Who's to say Finbogasson might not be similar?

Yeah, was at Brum but has gone to back to Arsenal now. However Arsenal have just signed Eduardo the Silva so unlikely he will get a run next season.

I genuinely think that if we had the money, one of the Sheff Wed lads should be a target.

Maclean, Tudgay or Burton would be handy I think. Opinions?

although Arsenal have signed Eduardo the Silva, they have lost 3 forwards during the close season in, Julio Baptista, Alliaderare and that other bloke whose gone to spain? Terry someone? so in fairness I think his chances at Arsenal are going to very good.

well in recent seasons they have pulled a few rabbits out of hats with that scounting on players, McCombe and Noble from Lincoln and Boston are 2 players they have plucked from little clubs and have become KEY players very quickly, Wilson has also shown signs of promise though is still early days with him

Sproule looks a good signing possible as well, one thing I'm confident with the club at the moment is the scouting we have.

no reason why they can't find a forward as well I reckon, maybe Finbogasson could be the next Lita or Lorenco the Silva, then again he could turn out to be the next Mo Bokoto or Jehad Muntasser!

When people say they want established players what they really mean is that they want players they are confident are good enough. It doesn't matter where players come from if they are good enough. In fact it's better than they are not "established" because that just means they cost more.

A big part of being a good manager in my eyes is finding players that are better than their price tag. I'd say that even though I'm not particularly impressed with the idea of Showunmi or Jevons up front next season, we've already had value for money out of both. We got value for money in every permanent signing with the possible exception of Betsy really.

Therefore, if GJ is confident that Finbogasson has what it takes for this level, or will in the near future, then excellent. Everything I've read about the player has been positive. He's not going to cost a fortune. GJ's judgement so far has been sound.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see us sign Billy Sharp - but bear in mind that at one point he cost S****horpe £100k. And that was because the manager at the time recognised that he was a great deal better than that. Who's to say Finbogasson might not be similar?

glad I find myself agreeing with you!!

Anymore know more on this guy? like if he has much pace? what side footed etc.......? he has a good record in celtic reserves and iceland u'21's.

[/quote

Good pace. Right footed, scores a lot with his left to. Scored 24 goals in 28 games with Celtic Reserve. Have played only 3 games in u'21's because of his injury

last year.

The (My) jury is still out on Wilson. I don't know how much money he was signed for, but whatever it was, it may have been too much.

GJ's judgement on loanees has been far from sound. I agree that his full time signings have generally been good but some of the loanees have been woeful.

The (My) jury is still out on Wilson. I don't know how much money he was signed for, but whatever it was, it may have been too much.

Personally I think Wilson has looked a tidy player and I expect to see him push Bradley Orr very hard for the right back slot and probably win it, unless we don't get our left winger. He cost less than £100k, we did give Cheltenham Scott Brown as part of the fee but he was looking likely to be released.

Betsy might come good yet but I'm not holding out alot of hope. Stepping up two levels in a few months is a big ask for a player who agewise is probably already at his peak.

GJ's judgement on loanees has been far from sound. I agree that his full time signings have generally been good but some of the loanees have been woeful.

I'd agree but we're not signing Finbogasson on loan and I think it's a different context really. With loans you're looking for someone to do a specific job temporarily, you don't care whether they have long term potential or not and you've very, very limited by availability.

It's always reminded me of us buying a young Andrew Cole all those years ago. The fact is though, we are no longer a team that can contest with buying this level of calibre due to funds and prospects at the gate. Hense the need for uncovering of gems abroad and in divisions below. Buying at our level and above now seems to be something that is out of our league

But that's something of a 3rd tier mentality. Cashing in on potential rather than exploiting it. At this level and with strikers especially, it is about potential to be better than the club (Lita recently, before that Akinbuyme, Goater and Cole). This is obviously a risk as the player can move on, but essentially you need a goalscorer that improves the whole calibre of the team (as obviously scoring is the most important factor in football), however it is important that the team continues to grow with the player. And of course you need to capitalise on this potential in a player by going up! Look at Sharp, Eastwood, Best, Sacpowiza (the S'hampton chap) Bendtner etc, these are all better than the teams they played in. Some of these worked some didn't... I don't know, it's obviously a very difficult balance to get, all we can do is try and get behind the player(s) that Gary and Pete decide on!

well in recent seasons they have pulled a few rabbits out of hats with that scounting on players, McCombe and Noble from Lincoln and Boston are 2 players they have plucked from little clubs and have become KEY players very quickly, Wilson has also shown signs of promise though is still early days with him

Sproule looks a good signing possible as well, one thing I'm confident with the club at the moment is the scouting we have.

no reason why they can't find a forward as well I reckon, maybe Finbogasson could be the next Lita or Lorenco the Silva, then again he could turn out to be the next Mo Bokoto or Jehad Muntasser!

The scouts at city have been outstanding the last couple of seasons. However, the striker with potential is always the hardest and rarest. And don't get me wrong, I'm thinking Finngybottom would be atleast a potential gem, 24 in 28 speaks for itself whatever level you're playing, you can only beat whats in front of you, so the lads going to have confidence skyhigh, and an obvious amount of talent. But, I'm still hoping we get another one or two.

• Admin
According to the OS,if we sign Finboggason we would have to pay Celtic a small fee because of his age,is this correct? if so why did'nt Motherwell pay anything to oldham for Porter? :dunno:

I would guess that despite Oldham's protestations, it has less to do with players crossing borders and more to do with FIFA's set of rules governing these sort of transfers.

My interpretation of them is that Oldham signed Porter when FIFA's rules believe his footballing education to be complete (at 21) and thus when he moved on, despite still qualifying in age terms, Oldham didn't actually qualify for compensation as this education period was deemed completed by the time he joined them.

With Finnbogason, Celtic have contributed a portion of his education period and thus are entitled to some form of compensation?

Archived