IGNORED

Finbogasson (if That Is How You Spell It)

Pack’s Chin

It's always reminded me of us buying a young Andrew Cole all those years ago. The fact is though, we are no longer a team that can contest with buying this level of calibre due to funds and prospects at the gate. Hense the need for uncovering of gems abroad and in divisions below. Buying at our level and above now seems to be something that is out of our league

I'm not sure what you mean. I was pointing out that just because Bendtner was loaned he wasn't cheap.

We can reasonably expect to compete for signings in this division with every club except those on parachute payments - that was the reason given for the price hikes after all. :innocent06:

Andy Cole wasn't particularly expensive when we got him because George Graham had written him off.

But that's something of a 3rd tier mentality. Cashing in on potential rather than exploiting it. At this level and with strikers especially, it is about potential to be better than the club (Lita recently, before that Akinbuyme, Goater and Cole). This is obviously a risk as the player can move on, but essentially you need a goalscorer that improves the whole calibre of the team (as obviously scoring is the most important factor in football), however it is important that the team continues to grow with the player. And of course you need to capitalise on this potential in a player by going up! Look at Sharp, Eastwood, Best, Sacpowiza (the S'hampton chap) Bendtner etc, these are all better than the teams they played in. Some of these worked some didn't... I don't know, it's obviously a very difficult balance to get, all we can do is try and get behind the player(s) that Gary and Pete decide on!

I'm not talking about cashing in on potential, I'm saying that it doesn't matter what a player's background is if he's good enough. I don't think there's any risk at all in getting a player who has potential to be better than the club. You've either got a very good player or a lot of money coming if he goes.

The price paid for player or the level of football you get him from does not make that player better or worse than he is. You don't get a better calibre just by spending more money, there's a huge variation.

We don't have to spend a fortune on "proven" Championship players if GJ and the scouts can find players as good that are cheaper (therefore better than their price tag). So far they have done well at that.

In my view we should now be exploiting clubs lower than us in the league by nicking their best young players who will likely become better playing at a higher level. That's not a third tier mentality at all, that's what every club does - feed off those lower.

In my view we should now be exploiting clubs lower than us in the league by nicking their best young players who will likely become better playing at a higher level. That's not a third tier mentality at all, that's what every club does - feed off those lower.

I'm not sure what you mean. I was pointing out that just because Bendtner was loaned he wasn't cheap.

We can reasonably expect to compete for signings in this division with every club except those on parachute payments - that was the reason given for the price hikes after all. :innocent06:

Andy Cole wasn't particularly expensive when we got him because George Graham had written him off.

I'm not talking about cashing in on potential, I'm saying that it doesn't matter what a player's background is if he's good enough. I don't think there's any risk at all in getting a player who has potential to be better than the club. You've either got a very good player or a lot of money coming if he goes.

The price paid for player or the level of football you get him from does not make that player better or worse than he is. You don't get a better calibre just by spending more money, there's a huge variation.

We don't have to spend a fortune on "proven" Championship players if GJ and the scouts can find players as good that are cheaper (therefore better than their price tag). So far they have done well at that.

I wasn't getting at anything in particular, I think you've just surmised my thoughts to be honest. Like I said, as long as the player doesnt risk the equilibrium in the changing rooms, then a better calibre player than the rest of the team is the only way forward, so long as we can optimise on this potential at the time before he moves onto bigger and better things.

What I said was a 3rd tier mentality was to make a profit on a player through buying and selling, rather than optimising on their skills whilst they are with the team via promotion. In a business POV it's like buying and selling shares just to make a profit, or buying majority shares, improving a company then taking that profit. Take Rochdale, Wycombe, Grimsby, Stockport to an extent Crewe, they never utilise their prospects. They are stuck in lower league mediocrity. I hope that doesn't help to us! Liiiike

Archived