IGNORED

Paulo Wanchope

huntl3y

Yes of course, but I was replying to your previous post of "What is a Johnson player?"

Paulo Wanchope is a mercenary, fancy footballer who turned it on occasionally nearly ten years ago.

We need to carve out goals in this league, the goals scored by a "fox in the box", or if you will somebody who runs themselves into the ground, not Paulo Wanchope.

a hungry young, "Johnson" player.

That's what I want, and thats what I hope we will get from our Icelandic friend Finny :fingerscrossed:

and finally, how we going to be bankrupted by one "rumoured" signing? If we don't spend some bloody money, we will be in league 1 next year visiting the same dumpy grounds we did last season.

Noone's arguing about the need for spending money, it's mainly about how you spend it.

Splashing out huge wages on an aging pro on the way down isn't sensible in my book. You might get some quality, you might get injuries and a lack of fitness - both of which affect older players more. You certainly won't see any of that money back. It's risky, it leaves you with no money for a replacement if your aging pro graces the treatment room for most of his final payday contract. How many good signings have made in the last 20 years of players aged over 30? I can think of ONE.

Spending money on signing younger players on the up is a much more sensible way to do it. If they do well you've a good chance of getting that money back and more. You might have to pay a transfer fee but that's a one off and the wages are smaller. The risk is that they don't step up well... to be honest I'm not concerned about that because it's usually easy enough to tell if a player is good enough and GJ seems to be able to do that.

Noone's arguing about the need for spending money, it's mainly about how you spend it.

Splashing out huge wages on an aging pro on the way down isn't sensible in my book. You might get some quality, you might get injuries and a lack of fitness - both of which affect older players more. You certainly won't see any of that money back. It's risky, it leaves you with no money for a replacement if your aging pro graces the treatment room for most of his final payday contract. How many good signings have made in the last 20 years of players aged over 30? I can think of ONE.

Spending money on signing younger players on the up is a much more sensible way to do it. If they do well you've a good chance of getting that money back and more. You might have to pay a transfer fee but that's a one off and the wages are smaller. The risk is that they don't step up well... to be honest I'm not concerned about that because it's usually easy enough to tell if a player is good enough and GJ seems to be able to do that.

Agreed. But I am not saying we should be spending big on the likes of Wanchope and Co, its rumours at the end of the day. But we might have to turn to an aging pro, if the price is right, to give us that little bit of experience at this level.

Can't think signigs of the over 30's at present, but the top scorer in the CCC last season wasn't a kick in the arse of that age was he?

Don't get the impression that I want us to sign Wanchope, but in this day and age, who knows :laugh:

Guest zider_head
The more i think about it, the more i think that it could be a realistic target. Experienced at champiosnhip level with Man City, 2 world cups, scoring in the world cup aswell, premiership experience, scoring on his english debut at old trafford. doesnt get much better than that to be fair.

Question is though, is he Johnson's type of player?

I was there that day he ran around the man utd team and scored that goal cracking goal, got a feeling it finished 2-2 or 3-2 to coventry, the highlight of the day was Cantona, different gravy and Roy Keane.

Cantona for the pure arrogance factor, the ref gave a free kick he placed it the ref moved it back he replaced it in the same spot the ref told him to move it back so he picked it up marched round in a circle and slammed the ball at his feet crowd went barmy ref looked a right muppet :laugh:

I remember a few years back William Hill's had a bet available for the Manchester derby called a 'Bobbit' (after John Wayne Bobbit who had some novel surgery performed on him by his wife). The Bobbit bet was Man City to win 2-0, scorers Wanchop and Dickov :) Still makes me smile!

all this stuff about a "johnson player" makes me laugh. I think it is pretty true to say that GJ has spent his club career in the lower leagues, city are certainly the biggest club he has been in charge of, and he has worked out a formula for getting teams promoted by combining some decent enough footballers with a real team ethic. GJ might have managed cambridge for a year or 2 at championship level a decade ago, but that would have been on 5000 gates, and obviously yeovil never had a support base or level of football to warrant the kind of signings that are being speculated about on here. Therefore, who really knows what kind of player might be brought in, just out of curiousity, does anyone know the biggest transfer fee ever spent by GJ? I think it must be sproule? Presumably he has never had the chance to bring in a bigger name player before, hence the stereotypical view of a johnson player that some people have now.

Archived