IGNORED

Why Does Nobody Trust Johnson?

Big Red Rich

If you would have said to me last summer right we can have promotion but you will have to pay extra for your season ticket then I would have bitten your hand off.

But that's not the practicality of things. We are in the Championship, we need to invest, we have to invest. We have one addition to the squad, we need more.

If we haven't invested, and are at the bottom, things we be very ugly - I think that's a cert. But we will invest, won't we?

Guest DanC
But that's not the practicality of things. We are in the Championship, we need to invest, we have to invest. We have one addition to the squad, we need more.

If we haven't invested, and are at the bottom, things we be very ugly - I think that's a cert. But we will invest, won't we?

See myself I'm not to worried. I trust Johnson and I know he will put together a squad that will be able to not only survive in the Championship but compete.

I may be one of few here but even if we make no more signings then I still feel we could survive. If we get Brooks fit then that will be just like signing a new player.

Not necessarily invest big, but certainly add a bit of quality and depth to the squad. There is always the stories that GJ does not like 'Big Name' players, perhaps that is an issue in the Championship? BTW, I'm not criticising GJ, he works in a certain way, has been successful to date, so why change a winning formula.

Our scouting network seems to be Garys brother in London and his son, from his days in Edinburgh. That has always worried me, extended family ties work better at a smaller Club.

He may well be looking for the right type of player rather than just buying anyone that becomes available.

We are all talking about the players not being proven at this level, well neither is GJ. Unfortunately, football Managers can go from hero to zero very quickly, and conversely, they can surprise us all and achieve a lot without resources.

Fingers crossed everybody!

Its not so much Johnson that I don't trust, more so the powers that be that control the purse strings.

Its not like we've only just realised we need a striker is it? Each of the last 2 Januarys I have expected us to sign a goalscoring forward, each time we made noises about signing a goalscoring forward and each time we ended up with nothing. I just hope that this feeling of deja vu I have is not justified this time around.

Anyone want to have a bet on how many days it will be before we see 'GJ happy to start season with existing squad of players' appearing as a headline on the official site?! They have already used the same story numerous times, no need for editing...

In my opinion, our team last season was a work in progress and I cant wait to see what the team is like when we have 2 fit, effective goal scoring forwards, preferrably with a bit of pace. The success of last season was built on fantastic defence, work rate throughout the team and the most unlikeliest of players chipping in with vital goals (Bradley Orr for example).

We took a big gamble and it paid off. I hope the powers that be resist the temptation to gamble again by cutting corners as we will get found out much more often at both ends of the pitch in the Championship.

I'm not talking about spending millions, its all about value. We need quantity of players as well as quality as we are short on numbers too.

Sproule looks a decent signing but from all accounts seems to prefer playing on the right rather than the left. So we still need a left winger too.

Its not so much Johnson that I don't trust, more so the powers that be that control the purse strings.

Its not like we've only just realised we need a striker is it? Each of the last 2 Januarys I have expected us to sign a goalscoring forward, each time we made noises about signing a goalscoring forward and each time we ended up with nothing. I just hope that this feeling of deja vu I have is not justified this time around.

Anyone want to have a bet on how many days it will be before we see 'GJ happy to start season with existing squad of players' appearing as a headline on the official site?! They have already used the same story numerous times, no need for editing...

In my opinion, our team last season was a work in progress and I cant wait to see what the team is like when we have 2 fit, effective goal scoring forwards, preferrably with a bit of pace. The success of last season was built on fantastic defence, work rate throughout the team and the most unlikeliest of players chipping in with vital goals (Bradley Orr for example).

We took a big gamble and it paid off. I hope the powers that be resist the temptation to gamble again by cutting corners as we will get found out much more often at both ends of the pitch in the Championship.

I'm not talking about spending millions, its all about value. We need quantity of players as well as quality as we are short on numbers too.

Sproule looks a decent signing but from all accounts seems to prefer playing on the right rather than the left. So we still need a left winger too.

Nail well and truly hit on the head; I look at the teams and forwards now in this division and shudder;

G.J purse strings are limited from above and if we are to compete in this division money needs to be spent. Many forwards have moved that could of done a job for us, meanwhile we have to hope a unfit striker gets fit and stays fit :disapointed2se:

I am afraid of this also, this would be disasterous, especiallly if we have our one of our infamous bad starts.

I think, hope, we will have at least one striker in. GJ knows this, as do 10,000 other City fans, it's just whether we get our man.

Excuses wont wash well in September.

I am afraid of this also, this would be disasterous, especiallly if we have our one of our infamous bad starts.

I think, hope, we will have at least one striker in. GJ knows this, as do 10,000 other City fans, it's just whether we get our man.

Excuses wont wash well in September.

I'm more curious than afraid of starting with the same players who were unbeaten to Championship and Premiership opposition last season. I genuinely have no idea about how we'll do in the Championship and to answer the original post, I have faith that Johnson has a better idea than I.

Look, GJ has done a lot for this club in the short time he's been here. Despite a few poor loan signings (Younga, Sankofa, Savage..) he's brought in some real quality at next to nothing (Noble, McCombe, McAllister...) And got us promoted in his first full season at the club. I don't think anyone would doubt Johnsons ability now.

But, even Gary Johnson doesnt dispute the need to strengthen the squad for this coming season. And it was painfully clear to anyone who watched last season that we need a goal-scorer (or better still, two !). If Brooker cant stay fit, we really need to go out and buy someone. Can anyone seriously argue with that ?

John Ward had a similar record when he got us promotion. But, he failed to keep us up because he made the wrong signings in the summer. Akinbiyi turned out to be a good signing. But, what was the point of spending £1m on thorpe when what we really needed was a commanding centre half to replace Shaun Taylor ? (and its not true to say we signed Dyche and Sebok that summer - Dyche was with us the previous season and Sebok arrived later in the season when we were already in trouble - all we got in the summer was Julian Watts)

Now Johnson faces a similar challenge. Its possible that we can make do with Jevons, Showunmi and a half-fit Brooker. But, thats taking a massive and completely unnecessary gamble. Sproule looks like he could be a good signing, but he's another winger... are we making the same mistake by buying players we don't need ?

Of course, there's still a few weeks yet, but pre-season friendlies are only a couple of weeks away now and many of our championship rivals have already made their summer signings (why do they find it easier to sign these players than us ?) If we wait until the very last minute to make our purchases, are we giving the new players a proper chance to "bed in" ?

Its not that we don't have faith in Gary Johnson - his record so far is fantastic. But, we all know from experience that it can go badly wrong from here. Thats why people are asking questions and until we get answers, people will be nervous.

And one more thing. This is a discussion forum - wouldnt it be a bit dull if none of us had opinions on signings, because we all had blind faith in Gary and the club ?

Archived