IGNORED

Why Does Nobody Trust Johnson?

Big Red Rich

TRUST JOHNSON 110% PERSONALLY

He had a EXCELLENT record at Yeovil, and personally the moment Tinnion left personally speaking I felt he was the best choice for the job, honestly felt though that Lansdown wouldn't go out and get him from Yeovil.

To say I was delighted when he took over is an understatement.

HOWEVER

he took over and tried to get the team and club around his way of thinking and unfortunately it took longer than he wanted and hence the long losing run, this is what I think the problem is, although the losing run did have a good effect within the club behind the scenes over the long-term some people are STILL having problems moving on from that and even though in his FIRST FULL SEASON he gained us promotion AND VERY CHEAPLY! they still don't like him and will do anything in an attempt to discredit him.

In some people eyes they honestly feel that City gained promotion because forest f@@ked up, not because WE DESERVED promotion based on a season of 46 games, I could list though people but we all know who they are and now we are promoted they are moaning about things that haven't happened, despite the fact that Gary has actually said he is in the process of doing things such as signing a forward

Funny thing is, I honestly believe that if Johnson doesn't the impossible and get us back to back promotions and get us a place in the prem come may, those critics will be demand answers and will want him replaced with someone else, problem is these people will REALISTICALLY expect us to replace Johnson with someone like Sir Alex or Arsene Wenger and demand Lansdown out if he didn't show enough ambition if he only replaced Gary with someone like Fabio Capello or Big Phil Scholri.

Some people.........well the less said the better

You can please some of the fans most of the time, and most of the people some of the time, but never all of the fans all of the time.

On balance Johnson is God. The few people who loose sleep over lack of signings need to learn patients and trust more Johnsons God-like ability, there is still an monumental amount of time left until the transfer window closes for perma signings so don't hang yourselves just yet!

There are also other players outside league 1 and the Championship who we are capable of signings, there is a whole big world of talented and willing footballers who would sell their gran down the river just to represent themselves in the Championship

• SC&T Board Members
Whatever they said (can't be arsed to read it).

People are happy with GJ but see that we will struggle without more signings and so are entitled to ask where are they? Given it is July.

Patience Frank - it's not August yet! ... or even late July ... or even mid-July for that matter ... goods things come to those who wait!

Now what really does anger me is all of these posters who think we need to be splashing cash left right and centre. Names such as Wanchope & Fowler have been mentioned which are just absurd. Johnson is using his tried and tested method of getting keen and hungry players in and you only have to look at the likes of Colchester to see that it does work at this level.

Cast your minds back to our last foray into the Championship; we spent mountains of cash on players and STILL got relegated. We bought strikers in Thorpe, Akinbuyi and Anderson. We bought defenders, Sebok, Watts, Dyche etc and yet we still didnt stay up.

Why are so many people confident that if we spend bucket loads we are going to stay up? Players who want big pay days are going to want more that a years contract and if we give them 2 years for example and still get relegated then we are immediately on the back foot when trying to get back out again.

Other CCC clubs are signing up good players.City (so far) are not.Thats the difference.

City run the risk of being left behind.

Johnson may have the knack of signing players who turn out to be good buys but imo its quality that is needed higher up. A team full of super fit workhorses is all very well but that won't be enough over 46 games where virtually every team will be expecting to take three points of City.We need that extra quality and players who have that quality cost money.

Johnson has said that he'll give last years players every chance to prove themselves in the CCC - well thats ok as long as he doesn't wait too long before those that aren't up to it are 'rested'.None of us want to be 10 games in with only a few points on the board.

That said - there are no doubt more signings to come.Lets hope that they have the quality.

Some people should think about getting a bit of a life between May and August.

The players are just back training and Mr Johnson is saying he has more targets.

SO FAR...We have a new up and coming GK, a brand new winger with a very good reputation and to the best of my knowledge we are taking a good look at a new Icelandic striker in pre season!!

What else would every body like...And is there anyone out there who would like to financially contribute to the effort...?

I have faith that

A/ Mr Johnson will give the players that got us up a fair crack of the whip in the new league

B/ He will have players (old and new) ready to go by the begining of August

C/ Will be ready to bring in players when we REALLY know what we need

:disapointed2se:

My method of judgement is results. As not a game has been played in 07/8, I'm staying shtoom for now.

Some people appear to take themselves and their opinions very seriously (often at the sacrifice of enjoyment, particularly evident in the stands at AG). GJ and his backroom staff and players are the only people who need to do this as it is their livelyhoods at stake, everyone else has insignificant amounts of power and influence over proceedings so although sometimes interesting and thought provoking on the whole I tend to discard their opinions as irrelevent.

Rhetorically asking ''yeah, so what you going to do about it?'' is a common habbit of mine.

City have too many managers and not enough supporters, imo. I'm sure the rise of Football Management computer games and media punditry partially fuels the crazy mis-disposition.

Personally, I think the frustration is more complicated.

1. Some fans will never be happy and have ideas way above our place. You only have to listen to Geoff 20pence on Friday evenings to hear the worst culprits (yeah, Kelvin).

2. Gary Johnson has in the past brought new players in early,both at Yeovil and City.Players are generally in place before pre season training starts and before (usually Latvian,nothing wrong with that) tours start.

3. We,as fans, were badly wounded the last time we went up. We spent a fortune by our standards yet still failed.

4. Don't know about you but there are some very good sides in the CCC.

5. Probably the most important point. We went up last season through team work and sheer hard work. No forward player contributed more than 14 goals! Surely we can all see that we are (especially without SB) extremely weak up front? With the squad we have at present we will do well to stay up but a couple of decent additions could make the world of difference.

I trust GJ to look after our club but can understand the people who are starting to get a little twitchy. After all it took us 8 years to get here and a return to L1 would be awful. Signings have to be the right signings though and I would assume it is all in hand but we aint going to storm this league, there are some serious big hitters in with us now! Maybe we will be one soon (hopefully).

U REDS

Other CCC clubs are signing up good players.City (so far) are not.Thats the difference.

City run the risk of being left behind.

Johnson may have the knack of signing players who turn out to be good buys but imo its quality that is needed higher up. A team full of super fit workhorses is all very well but that won't be enough over 46 games where virtually every team will be expecting to take three points of City.We need that extra quality and players who have that quality cost money.

Johnson has said that he'll give last years players every chance to prove themselves in the CCC - well thats ok as long as he doesn't wait too long before those that aren't up to it are 'rested'.None of us want to be 10 games in with only a few points on the board.

That said - there are no doubt more signings to come.Lets hope that they have the quality.

Robbored you are 100% right for once! There is no way with the squad we have, will we have a season without a struggle. I'm not saying that most of our players wont make the BIG step up, but we do need that extra bit of knowledge of playing at this level.

These players we have made offers on should be signed up by now, if they want to play for us. They should be on board for pre season training to work with the rest of team. GJ said when we made an approach to sign Easter, "He seemed that his heart was not into playing for us"( or words to that effect)

so why are we still waiting to see WHO these players are. Just because we did well in cup matches last season, does not mean we will last a season in the Championship.

When you see championship clubs paying 1 or 2 million for a player, they are mainly established teams who have a chance of the premiership. Us being newly promoted need players of at least 500k to help with survival. We have the manager but IMO not the players, YET!

Robbored you are 100% right for once! There is no way with the squad we have, will we have a season without a struggle. I'm not saying that most of our players wont make the BIG step up, but we do need that extra bit of knowledge of playing at this level.

These players we have made offers on should be signed up by now, if they want to play for us. They should be on board for pre season training to work with the rest of team. GJ said when we made an approach to sign Easter, "He seemed that his heart was not into playing for us"( or words to that effect)

so why are we still waiting to see WHO these players are. Just because we did well in cup matches last season, does not mean we will last a season in the Championship.

When you see championship clubs paying 1 or 2 million for a player, they are mainly established teams who have a chance of the premiership. Us being newly promoted need players of at least 500k to help with survival. We have the manager but IMO not the players, YET!

Totally agree. In my opinion you have to look at the amount of time it has taken to identify, bid and sign these players that have been talked about. Its all good and well everybody saying have patients but the club have said all along that certain targets have been identified. If we have known about certain players and have been working on signing them for a long time now, why havnt they signed yet?? We can all talk about holidays and players only just coming back from training but everybody else seems to have been able to identify their targets and get them on board already while we have been constantly told that bids are in and that the club is working on potential signings.

Now ask yourself why we havnt been told of any specific targets yet?? I know we have been told that the club don't want to alert other teams to potential signings but do any of you think that after the amount of time since last season that no other managers have been enquiring about these so called players. All managers after the season finishes are working on signings for the next season and it would pretty far fetched to think that we are the only club looking at certain player given the amount of teams on the look out for players. I would imagine that almost every player from every team has had an enquiry about their availability for the upcoming season so unless the players we sign are totally unknown from an obscure place in the world, chances are we have been competing with other teams for players and have more than likely missed out already. I mean the club arnt going to tell us when we have been knoced back for certain players , especially if these players have then signed for somebody else, its a whole lot easier to just say we are still working on potential signings.

Guest DanC

Has anyone ever considered that it's possibly not Johnson's fault that we haven't signed many players up to date?

Lets think about this. Many players contracts have just expired, So are keeping there options open and trying to get the best contract they can, A footballers career is short so they will try and make as much money as they can whilst they can. Most decent players will be holding out hoping the likes of Charlton come in for them as lets face it they can offer a lot more money than us. Most of us in there position would do the same.

When we were in League one most players would want to join us as we were a big club in that league, However now we are currently no more than a Lower Championship side and the sooner us fans' accept that the better. We have the potential to be bigger and better but for now that is what we are.

The same goes for clubs, They are trying to hold out for as long as they can so they can get the best offer. It's kind of like they are playing deal or no deal, You wouldn't take the Bankers first offer would you? So why should they take the first offer?

Johnson has a list of players he wants and I trust that he will try his hardest to get them but wont get ripped off.

These things just take time, What's worse waiting for the right player or panic buying and buying the wrong player?

The key is Brooker with him at his best we have a chance; we should of signed a cover at Christmas but didnt; a great team effort and a solid defence pulled us through.

Now its the championship things are going to be a whole lot tougher against some good tough teams and top players.

Our defence remains capable but we remain light up front.

There will be a limit on funds availabe to G.J and therefore the quality of players available to bring in. We have heard about "the list" :read: but with the players back in training we are still waiting for a name up front, and are still waiting for our number one forward to get fit, as well. :dunno::yawn::yawn: :yawn:

SL and GJ have said whoever we sign, will be better than what we have. That means they will be selected, because they are better ? So far a winger and a keeper, with a striker getting a trial. There are 2 other bids out there.

As to the question about trusting GJ, quite frankly, no I don't. Its like politicians, you trust none of them but expect results. If GJ wishes to hang MS out to dry for 6 months, thats his method, no different to Ferguson at ManU. I love GJ's results and would not swap him. Trust him on a personal basis. NO.

Another thing worth factoring in here that people may not agree with me here is the fact of pursuading players to want to move to Bristol.

We aren't a big footballing area like the north west or midlands or london or north east therefore I think it makes it extra difficult to attract players.

I do belive the club are doing all they can to bring in the players they want but just because we want them and can possible match what other clubs are offering that they will necessarily want to join us.

Another thing worth factoring in here that people may not agree with me here is the fact of pursuading players to want to move to Bristol.

We aren't a big footballing area like the north west or midlands or london or north east therefore I think it makes it extra difficult to attract players.

I do belive the club are doing all they can to bring in the players they want but just because we want them and can possible match what other clubs are offering that they will necessarily want to join us.

You don't know what you are on about!! You need to read the experts on here and learn something. The way it works, apparently, is that a big name player becomes available, Bristol City get in touch, offer the player Five Big Ones per week and, even though other clubs can afford to pay and have offered three times as much, we just click our fingers and the player will be ours - because he realises what a massive club we are when compared to minnows such as Charlton, West Brom, Sheffield United, Sheffield Wednesday, Wolves and many other clubs in the Championship.

The only two people who are not aware of this, I believe, are yourself and Gary Johnson.

You don't know what you are on about!! You need to read the experts on here and learn something. The way it works, apparently, is that a big name player becomes available, Bristol City get in touch, offer the player Five Big Ones per week and, even though other clubs can afford to pay and have offered three times as much, we just click our fingers and the player will be ours - because he realises what a massive club we are when compared to minnows such as Charlton, West Brom, Sheffield United, Sheffield Wednesday, Wolves and many other clubs in the Championship.

The only two people who are not aware of this, I believe, are yourself and Gary Johnson.

:clapping:

the sad thing is some people actually think that is the case!

If you want to cause unrest in the squad - go ahead and buy a load of high priced footballers with wallet splitting wage agreements and just see where that gets us. Johnson is shrewd and he said that the current sqaud had earn't the right to be part of the championship so let them get on with it and keep the faith. I fully believe Johnson knows what he's doing, after all he got us where we are now and anyway isn't great when we get someone from the bargain basement who turns out to be a gem.

If you want to cause unrest in the squad - go ahead and buy a load of high priced footballers with wallet splitting wage agreements and just see where that gets us. Johnson is shrewd and he said that the current sqaud had earn't the right to be part of the championship so let them get on with it and keep the faith. I fully believe Johnson knows what he's doing, after all he got us where we are now and anyway isn't great when we get someone from the bargain basement who turns out to be a gem.

EXACTLY....

Oh silly me :doh:

How stupid am I?

Thanks Greebo

We will be down by xmas if we keep the same squad that got us promoted. We didn't even win the division, and you think we can step into the championship and compete?

We will be down by xmas if we keep the same squad that got us promoted. We didn't even win the division, and you think we can step into the championship and compete?

What?! Colchester, 2005-06, 80 points, 2nd place. 2006-07, no major signings, mid-table Championship. Get a grip pal.

What?! Colchester, 2005-06, 80 points, 2nd place. 2006-07, no major signings, mid-table Championship. Get a grip pal.

Whilst I agree to a certain extent and see your point. They did have 2 quality strikers who scored goals and stayed fit, We currently do not have that.

Whilst I agree to a certain extent and see your point. They did have 2 quality strikers who scored goals and stayed fit, We currently do not have that.

True, and a good point. But I think we've a better all-round team than the one they got promoted with - I say it evens itself out a bit. I think we do need a striker, but with the current squad I still think we're good enough for 16th/17th/18th place.

quote name='citypope' date='Jul 6 2007, 3:21 PM' post='767385']

True, and a good point. But I think we've a better all-round team than the one they got promoted with - I say it evens itself out a bit. I think we do need a striker, but with the current squad I still think we're good enough for 16th/17th/18th place.

Guest DanC
quote name='citypope' date='Jul 6 2007, 3:21 PM' post='767385']

Would you be happy with current squad and a 16th-18th position after a £110 rice in prices?. That to me is not what we won promotion for. GJ has stated that he wants fans to reserve judgement until the season starts, fine, that is what I personally will do.

He has said himself we need to strengthen, we do, the current squad is neither big enough or strong enough for this level.

Let's wait 'till the season starts, then we can start criticising.

If you would have said to me last summer right we can have promotion but you will have to pay extra for your season ticket then I would have bitten your hand off.

Archived