IGNORED

Train Tickets

bez

Good tip for anyone going north. When purchasing Virgin Value fares, if you are unable to get cheap tickets straight from either Parkway or Temple meads split your journey with a beer/food stop at Birmingham New Street. For example my trip to Carlisle last season booked through www.TheTrainline.com a company owned by Richard Branson cost me £40 return however I had to split my journey in Birmingham(station that you have to pass through) otherwise the qouted price was £110 return. This is a practice that the train companies DON'T advertise and I wonder why?

split your journey with a beer/food stop at Birmingham New Street.

If you have tickets, you can stay on the same train and not get off.

EG 1; P'boro - Brum was expensive, so I got PB - Stamford single for £4.95, then a single Stamford - Brum and stayed on the same train. Coming back I was able to buy in advance Brum - PB single for £10 and that way it was much cheaper than a simple return.

EG 2; had to go to Carlisle yesterday. They asked originally for £77 from PB, but by haggling I paid only £36. £13 single to Newcastle and another back plus a cheap day return NCL - Carlisle.

I don't know about Bristol's stations these days, but the Peterborough staff will help find a cheaper fare if you ask. The key is to book in advance and if poss specify exactly which train you will travel on. Also check on each company's website for offers not even mentioned elsewhere. EG 3; only by booking on line with Scotrail you can travel on the sleeper from Euston - Inverness for just £20.

I wonder how much it would cost to take the Train to Norwich or Ipswich?

Norwich is a bit of an ask.

Ipswich is definitely do-able by train. 1.5 hours to London followed by a 1 hour train from London to Ipswich. Factor into that a half hour tube journey across London. If you book early it could cost as little as £25 return. Getting a railcard is a must for next season.

Archived