IGNORED

Johnson In Todays Wdp

A comment in todays WDP made me think this morning.

Gary Johnson claims that all the talk about finding a new striker is disrespectful as "the current strikers got us into the championship". Anyone take issue with this view point? I know he's only saying it so to protect his current players and keep morale high, but i assume he is more aware than most that out of all the areas of the team, the strikers were probabaly least responsible for our promotion.

I would say our defence was the main factor, then midfield, very closely followed by Basso, with our strikers lagging some way behind him.

Your thoughts?

Gary Johnson claims that all the talk about finding a new striker is disrespectful as "the current strikers got us into the championship". Anyone take issue with this view point? I know he's only saying it so to protect his current players and keep morale high, but i assume he is more aware than most that out of all the areas of the team, the strikers were probabaly least responsible for our promotion.

Your thoughts?

He would say that, woudn't he? Johnson is loyal to his squad and rightly so.

You only have to look at the stats of last season to see why Johnson needs to sign a striker or two. Top scorer with only 17 goals, five of which were penalties. 63 goals all league season at 1.3 goals per game and 32 games when City scored one goal or less which supports the arguement that City didn't have a quality goal poacher.Those stats come from a lower division.

Against better quality opposition in the CCC City would score even less goals.

Personally I don't think comments about our strikers are 'disrespectful'. Just facts thats all.

Guest DanC

Yes we need a new striker or two, But at the same time lets not be disrespectful to our current strikers. They are human just like you and me and have feelings just like we do. Just because they are footballers it doesn't mean they are any different to us. They do there jobs and we do ours. I have off days in work just like they do. We are all human and can't perform 100% every time.

Like I said in a previous thread, They helped get us here however small there part was so they deserve the chance to prove themselves.

How would you like it if in your job you helped achieve something big then to be told that someone else will be coming in to replace you?

Yes we need a new striker or two, But at the same time lets not be disrespectful to our current strikers. They are human just like you and me and have feelings just like we do. Just because they are footballers it doesn't mean they are any different to us. They do there jobs and we do ours. I have off days in work just like they do. We are all human and can't perform 100% every time.

Like I said in a previous thread, They helped get us here however small there part was so they deserve the chance to prove themselves.

How would you like it if in your job you helped achieve something big then to be told that someone else will be coming in to replace you?

I'd take a long hard look at myself and my performance and ask myself what i have actually contributed and can i give anymore.

Sorry Dan, but that's life and that's business. If you can't do the job, then someone else will be brought in who can. It's not disrespectful, just professional.

I didn't see an awful lot last year that would convince me they could a job this.

Johnson is a team man and i know why he has said this publically, but i bet in private he's told a few they need to up their game if they want to stay.

I would say our defence was the main factor, then midfield, very closely followed by Basso, with our strikers lagging some way behind him.

Your thoughts?

I agree with what Johnners is saying, irrespective of what he is thinking.

The players that got us there deserve the chance to show what they can do at a higher level.

This is football I'm afraid, not the school classroom.

Its a tough part of the sport but if you arent good enough, you arent good enough. We need to do whats best for Bristol City and that unfortunately means that we need at least one new striker. Jevons and Showumni are only going to be good enough to be squad players.

He would say that, woudn't he? Johnson is loyal to his squad and rightly so.

Didn't you label this kind of talk as 'spin, spin, spin' once upon a time Robbored?

I agree that it's fair to question our firepower. Brooker's injured already, which only leaves Jevons, Showumni, a 17 year-old in Plummer and a trialist. Not exactly a frightening prospect for the opposition.

So, following that logic, is Gary Johnson himself going to be accused of being disrespectful to his strikers when he eventually signs a new one ?

Everyone knows the club wants to sign a new striker, so pretending we don't seems a bit odd to me.

To be fair, I think GaryMarshall has it spot on.

It's like a Gordon Brown budget, give with the one hand take with the other

Not quite... Gordon Brown is an Octopus mate.. He gives with one and takes with all the others...

lost count how many that would be...7 more perhaps.

Oh and GJ is simply saying, as he has on many occasions this close season, that all the players he has will get a chance even if he brings in more competition for any position. he said it to dampen down the furore over all the signings, to keep the players on board with their promotion euphoria BUT NOT to say no more signings.

I'm in on the general flow, man.

What people say and what people do are commonly conflicting. I think it's to do with political correctness as well as other motives already mentioned. Self sensitivety and Football/life are not a working compound.

My money/hope is on us bringing in some shithot striker who can both play the game and stick the ball in the net. If Gary Johnson's genuinely isn't then I'd be dissapointed.

Fao: Jevo/Enoch - this doesn't mean I still don't love you.

Beginning to think it may be time to count our losses with Brooker when his contract expires, although that's for another thread.

ps/Good to hear from you, Nick.

edit: and you Moz.

Judging by last seasons efforts (no pun intented) we need at least 2 new strikers.

We don't know how Showunmi & Jevons will get on in the higher division (like the rest of the squad really) but how long do you give them 10 games, 15 games, 20 games?, by then we could already be involved in a relegation dogfight.

If we play with 1 upfront (IMO we will) then we know that Jevons can't handle that role, he hasn't got the strength/power and he just can't hold onto the ball (as was proved on many occassions last season) and Showunmi is also too inconsistent in the hold up department.

1 new striker (powerfull/athletic) and a FULLY FIT & FOCUSED Steve Brooker would be ideal but I have more chance of becoming the queen of England than of that happening.

BCAGFC

I agree with what Johnners is saying, irrespective of what he is thinking.

The players that got us there deserve the chance to show what they can do at a higher level.

Theres no sentiment in proffessional sport least of all in football.

What would you be posting if after 10 games in the CCC City have scored 4 goals and amassed 4 points with Johnson sticking to the same players that 'got us up' because they 'deserve a chance'?

I doubt you'd be a happy bunny.

Not totally blaming all the strikers we just need more cover in Brooker we just can not know if he is ok or not,the others Jevons,Showunmi,Jennison Williams,and the likes of Murray and Noble can play up front,but a few injuries were struggling

Lets make absolutely no mistake we needed 2 strikers BEFORE Brookers latest injury, judging on last seasons efforts we will probably have the worst strikeforce in the division if we make no signings, don't let anyone try to fudge that, why the hell did GJ try to sign Holt and bring Corr,Smith and Andrews on loan, its because our strikers were not good enough in the third tier so they certainly will not be good enough in the second, in saying all that i have faith in GJ and do not believe for 1 minute that we will start the new season with at least 1 new striker

What would you be posting if after 10 games in the CCC City have scored 4 goals and amassed 4 points with Johnson sticking to the same players that 'got us up' because they 'deserve a chance'?

Not correct I'm afraid Robbored.

Loyalty is one of life's virtues I believe in.

I'm never happy if a player leaves us to go to a "bigger" club and/or for more money.

The same works the other way.

Sentimentally unrealistic perhaps, but thats how it is.

Not correct I'm afraid Robbored.

Loyalty is one of life's virtues I believe in.

I'm never happy if a player leaves us to go to a "bigger" club and/or for more money.

The same works the other way.

Sentimentally unrealistic perhaps, but thats how it is.

Yes, my Bank, who i have been with for 20 years, showed me a lot of loyalty this morning by sending me a £30 letter for being £2.68 overdrawn, loyalty was replaced by greed in 1979 when the wicked witch got into power

Three possibilities:

1. He's stupid
  2. He thinks we're stupid
  3. He wants to give agents the impression he's not desperate
The latter gets my vote.

Your thoughts?

Are you talking about the BCFC World interview today? Did not hear him say that.

Guest DanC

Well i'm hardly expecting 30 points after 10 games, However 10 I would be happy with, However we need to remember we are traditionally poor starters and it may take a while for our players to settle into the Championship.

You would be one of the first to moan if a player moved to a bigger club so i find it hard to understand why you are not the first to be offering a player a chance at Championship football. You never know they could flourish.

Yes we need two new strikers but I would like to see them brought in but also at the same time give players like Brooks(who could have easily left us a while back) Jevo and Enoch a chance at the start of the season.

Archived