IGNORED

Tell Me Steve Who Can We Afford

Guest ashtonyate

Guest ashtonyate

We are being told we can't afford to pay the wages needed to sign the Quality players that may give us a chance to compete in this division also it may upset the wage structure at the club.

What also bugs me is if our pay structure is that bad where is all the money going, is it going on interest to pay back the loans we took out to cover up Lansdowne c**k ups or were is it going we have only bought a few players which the transfer money should cover.

Our chairman has made it clear that we are going to stand on our own two feet and he is not going to bank roll the club which is his right but he should bring more members on to the board has I think its to cosy at the moment and needs freshening up a bit with other views

As I see it the Squad is not good enough to survive in this league we have signed 1 player so far and going to give a try to the Islander who Johnson said his self needs to be work with so he is far from being the finish article.

Johnson has been trying to sign a central striker for nearly a year now without success is that because we cannot pay the going rate for such a player or what. The club expect the fans to pay the going rate for entry to the ground

I just think the squad is not good enough by a long way so are we going to do a Watford or what after waiting 8 years to go up it would be a shame to go back again but i can't see us staying up with the team as it is.

Guest ashtonyate
..typical negative City fan! the last time we splashed millions on strikers look what happened!

SL is a top chairman doing things sensible, get behind him like the majority of city fans!

You say I am negative what do you think the club is then when it will not sign players that can keep us up.You wait until November when we are at the Bottom of the league then you will hear what the majority of fans think

..typical negative City fan! the last time we splashed millions on strikers look what happened!

SL is a top chairman doing things sensible, get behind him like the majority of city fans!

Typical ashtonyate you mean.

You make a great point. We cant go around spending a million on this sort of player, 2 million on that sort of player. we need stability in this first season. the aim is to simply survuve, then push on from there.

IMO its a 3 season (at least) objective:

Season 1: Survive. Bring in 1 or 2 better players again this time next year.

Season 2: Consolidate. Finish mid-table, with a great chance of pushing on. again sign 1 or 2 better players

Season 3: Push for the play offs. By this time we should haev a very good championship squad capable of doing well in cup competitions whilst also maintaining our play off challenge.

Surely that doesnt seem too far-faetched does it? In my eyes, its realistic.

Guest ashtonyate

You make a great point. We cant go around spending a million on this sort of player, 2 million on that sort of player. we need stability in this first season. the aim is to simply survuve, then push on from there.

Season 2: Consolidate. Finish mid-table, with a great chance of pushing on. again sign 1 or 2 better players

Season 3: Push for the play offs. By this time we should haev a very good championship squad capable of doing well in cup competitions whilst also maintaining our play off challenge.

If we had a good strike force when we came up no your plan would be OK, but we came up with one of the worst forward lines I have seen in over 50 years of watching City. If we try to play without a good central striker we will be relegated in fact we need two good forwards to have any chance

You say I am negative what do you think the club is then when it will not sign players that can keep us up.You wait until November when we are at the Bottom of the league then you will hear what the majority of fans think

AY, how do you know that GJ won't make signings capable of keeping us in the championship? GJ clearly likes to keep things on the low in the transfer market.

He has said that he's looking to bring players in soon and i have no doubt these players will be of a decent quality.

The current squad has the right spirit and I'm confident that GJ will add the players needed to help us survive!

I'm sure will find out before friday, which i think is when the team head off to latvia.

What players can we afford?

Unless I misinterpreted it, we were going for Naismith at £1m+, which gives a pretty fair indication of what we can afford. If that is the type of player we can afford, then I am more than happy. The fact that Naismith doesn't want to leave Scotland and appears to want to play for Rangers or Celtic is something that SL and GJ can do little about, but it says everything about their ambition for this club.

For 9 years we have been a 3rd division team. As a result, SL and GJ have a real selling job to do in order to convince players like Naismith as to why they should commit their immediate future to us, especially when there will be many more established and "bigger" clubs after them. In these cases, I think we must sadly accept that we will lose out on many occassions and also because other clubs just have more money to spend than we do, but I back GJ to get the right players for BCFC and also that he will have the financial backing from his Chairman when that right player is available and wants to come.

We are being told we can't afford to pay the wages needed to sign the Quality players that may give us a chance to compete in this division also it may upset the wage structure at the club.

What also bugs me is if our pay structure is that bad where is all the money going, is it going on interest to pay back the loans we took out to cover up Lansdowne c**k ups or were is it going we have only bought a few players which the transfer money should cover.

Our chairman has made it clear that we are going to stand on our own two feet and he is not going to bank roll the club which is his right but he should bring more members on to the board has I think its to cosy at the moment and needs freshening up a bit with other views

As I see it the Squad is not good enough to survive in this league we have signed 1 player so far and going to give a try to the Islander who Johnson said his self needs to be work with so he is far from being the finish article.

Johnson has been trying to sign a central striker for nearly a year now without success is that because we cannot pay the going rate for such a player or what. The club expect the fans to pay the going rate for entry to the ground

I just think the squad is not good enough by a long way so are we going to do a Watford or what after waiting 8 years to go up it would be a shame to go back again but i can't see us staying up with the team as it is.

1st of all who has said we cannot afford the wages, where did you read this from? We signed Sproule on a 3yr deal and I would imagine his wages aren't cheap! Ok we cant afford the likes of David Nugent & Billy Sharp but we certainly have more bargaining power than the likes of Scunnythorpe, Colchester, barnsley to name a few..

Re Lansdowns C**k ups, in my opinion he has only made one and that was employ Brian Tinnion as manager. SL has made massive contributions to keep this club alive & kicking & no he is'nt going to be a Jack Walker, he would rather do things slowly & sensible which I agree with. Again the last time we bought 3 so called top strikers in on massive wages look what happened we got relegated & then had these players on huge wages in what was Division 2 then! Its more important to get the right players at the right time. It appears to me there are too many fans panicking! By all means come on this forum & moan your socks off if were bottom of the league after a few games but give GJ & SL a chance.

I also think the current squad with a top manager in GJ would do ok in th CC, ok we wont set the world on fire & ok we do need to bring in 1 or 2 more players but they have to be the right players & not panic signings!

Finally I don't think we will do a Watford either, have some faith in the current regime pleeeeease!l

If we had a good strike force when we came up no your plan would be OK, but we came up with one of the worst forward lines I have seen in over 50 years of watching City. If we try to play without a good central striker we will be relegated in fact we need two good forwards to have any chance

Jevons got 15 goals. Which, he has PERSONALLY admitted that it was a disappointing season for him. Even though it was still a decent return.

Enoch got 12 goals (i think?) Which still isnt a bad return. Plus he has CCC experience.

let me ask you a question.: Have you got the promotion/season review DVD? If so, i advise you to watch the last section, titled "Goals Goals Goals" and look closely at all of Jevons goals from OPEN PLAY. Then watch it again, and look closely at all of Enoch's goals from OPEN PLAY. They both scored some cracking goals and some bloody brave goals. Carlisle at home springs to mind with Enochs header, he was about 6 inches away from the keeper kicking his head into Row Z of the Williams! Jevo scored a very similar one against Gillingham i think it was in the league.

As i have said before, what's to say the GJ and SL arent in talks with a striekr who can get 15-20 goals a season in the Championship? GJ has said on the OFFICIAL WEBSITE that the club are in talks and they are progressing very well with a few players/clubs.

NONE of us know any inside information. All we are doing on here is speculating either who people would like to sign personally, or who we can realistically sign. Why do you think we have got Finbogasson and others on trial for the Latvia tour? So that we can have a look at targets in a match!

STOP moaning for once if you can, and either shut up about the "lack" of transfer activity or be patient like the rest of us. You'll go along way on here if you do.

Ashtonyate your short sightedness baffles me. Have you forgotten GJ decided against signing Easter, Holt's missus was about to drop so he decided against moving and the lad from Hearts didn't want to drop down a division. Hardly a case of SL not splashing the cash.

As for the wages lets be realistic, I'd assume a good few of our playeres are on between 3-5K a week. Some of the players who are in demand are going to be want triple that I'd imagine as they will get it because clubs with the money will pay it.

IF we were an established championship club then yes I'd be upset we were not competing but I personally do feel that our current strikers can do a job for us IF they stay fit, if we can unearth a gem then fantastic. What I don't want is to sign players who will cost us a fortune and then if we do get relegatyed seriosuly harm our clubs structure.

Steve L has always backed his managers do you think the signing of Sproule was cheap???? Gary J has always kept his cards close. Maybe we'll sign Trundle who has image rights with Swansea IIRC so I'd imgaine his wages won't be cheap.

As for the comment of bringing in new board members I don't see anyone jumping up and down to join Do you??

Buying a striker isn't like going to the shop and choosing the nicest looking apple. It takes a lot of time. They are the most saught-after (sp?) player in the game, hence their rarety. If there was a quick and easy option it would have been taken. Trust the Johnsons. They are considerably more intelligent than us!

Jevons got 15 goals. Which, he has PERSONALLY admitted that it was a disappointing season for him. Even though it was still a decent return.

Enoch got 12 goals (i think?) Which still isnt a bad return. Plus he has CCC experience.

let me ask you a question.: Have you got the promotion/season review DVD? If so, i advise you to watch the last section, titled "Goals Goals Goals" and look closely at all of Jevons goals from OPEN PLAY. Then watch it again, and look closely at all of Enoch's goals from OPEN PLAY. They both scored some cracking goals and some bloody brave goals. Carlisle at home springs to mind with Enochs header, he was about 6 inches away from the keeper kicking his head into Row Z of the Williams! Jevo scored a very similar one against Gillingham i think it was in the league.

Jevons didnt get 15 league goals and many of his goals were penalties, i think he only scored 8 goals from open play in the league which is a poor return for a player who virtually played every game in a team which finished 2nd in the league

No, we're not. We're being told we can't persuade players to join us when bigger, more successful clubs come in and offer them more money. Shock horror.

There is no interest on the loans Lansdown has made to the club.

The money from transfer fees received in 05/06 went on stemming the loss we still made that season.

I suspect the money we got for Cotterill and from cup runs in 06/07 is a big factor in why Lansdown is willing to spend this season. Just because we haven't spent a fortune yet doesn't mean we're not prepared to buy players at the right price.

I agree with that but more people on the board doesn't mean they will chuck money at the club so it runs at a loss and I'd rather we didn't do that.

I think the current squad would scrape survival but I hope to see it improved with a couple of signings up front and on the left wing and I'm certain that GJ is working hard on doing so.

Well, yes. When you see Billy Sharp going for £2.6m and Luke Varney going for £2m - neither of whom has proven themselves in the Championship - why should we expect to be able to pay that "going rate"? Cardiff just accepted £5m for Chopra, a player with one good season behind him at this level. They bought him a year ago for £500k. We need to find players similar for £500k-£750k that will go on to become very good players at this level. That's the challenge.

I wouldn't say we're a long way off. We're short a few goals and a left footer IMO.

What I don't want to see us do, is spend nearly £4m on the wrong players like we did last time and still get relegated anyway with a huge debt that keeps us saddled in league one for nearly a decade. We need above all to make sure we bring in the right players at the right price.

Sounds like what Stoke City have achieved...about right I would say. However, I think we will do quite well this season. We have a momentum and I do not think anybody can moan until 3 months in; are u listening ashtonyate because you are, with respect, the king of the moaners.

GJ and SL have my full support, for now; I am sure another striker, or two, are coming before the season begins.

... and anyway, AY, what do you mean by "do a Watford"? The last time Watford were in our position - ie just got promoted from League One to CCC - they spent very little, gave the players that had won promotion a chance to prove themselves, and kept a settled team with a great spirit together, strengthening to a small extent in a couple of key areas.

Anyone got any ideas what happened to them that season? Or what our transfer policy was, and where we finished?

... and anyway, AY, what do you mean by "do a Watford"? The last time Watford were in our position - ie just got promoted from League One to CCC - they spent very little, gave the players that had won promotion a chance to prove themselves, and kept a settled team with a great spirit together, strengthening to a small extent in a couple of key areas.

Anyone got any ideas what happened to them that season? Or what our transfer policy was, and where we finished?

Your probably being sarcastic but ill answer it anyway.

They won promotion again (did they win the league at the same time?). We spent lots of money to quick and got relegated.

don't let facts get in the way of a good old moan!! :innocent06:

Guest ashtonyate

I cannot believe how a lot of you think we are going to stay up with last seasons team members, City won promotion by having a good defence. The league was poor with no outstanding teams in it,this season it will be a different story with some teams who are premiership standard most have very good forward line.

Even Leeds went down with a stronger team than us so I don't see where the optimism is coming from.

This season the defence will not be able to carry the team like it did last season I even wonder if the back four will be good enough , we never had anyone up front who could hold on to the ball it came strait back putting us under pressure if that happens this seasons we will be in for a few hiding's.

Now there post saying I am mad, all this blind faith is great until the ball is kicked then the reality we come home to roost it will be to late then

Johnson has had the last 9 months to sign a player to fit the bill how much more time does he need Its no good quoting his yeovil record and the time he has been with us. This league there are not so many players to choose from not like the lower division, this is were we see if he can make it or not.

Guest ashtonyate
Ashtonyate your short sightedness baffles me. Have you forgotten GJ decided against signing Easter, Holt's missus was about to drop so he decided against moving and the lad from Hearts didn't want to drop down a division. Hardly a case of SL not splashing the cash.

As for the wages lets be realistic, I'd assume a good few of our playeres are on between 3-5K a week. Some of the players who are in demand are going to be want triple that I'd imagine as they will get it because clubs with the money will pay it.

IF we were an established championship club then yes I'd be upset we were not competing but I personally do feel that our current strikers can do a job for us IF they stay fit, if we can unearth a gem then fantastic. What I don't want is to sign players who will cost us a fortune and then if we do get relegatyed seriosuly harm our clubs structure.

Steve L has always backed his managers do you think the signing of Sproule was cheap???? Gary J has always kept his cards close. Maybe we'll sign Trundle who has image rights with Swansea IIRC so I'd imgaine his wages won't be cheap.

As for the comment of bringing in new board members I don't see anyone jumping up and down to join Do you??

Or do you think they are making offers that they know will not accepted to make it look good, I could go and offer 30k for a new rolls but they want 100k for it, I have made an offer so am I trying to buy the car or not.do belive all you read

I cannot believe how a lot of you think we are going to stay up with last seasons team members, City won promotion by having a good defence. The league was poor with no outstanding teams in it,this season it will be a different story with some teams who are premiership standard most have very good forward line.

Even Leeds went down with a stronger team than us so I don't see where the optimism is coming from.

This season the defence will not be able to carry the team like it did last season I even wonder if the back four will be good enough , we never had anyone up front who could hold on to the ball it came strait back putting us under pressure if that happens this seasons we will be in for a few hiding's.

Now there post saying I am mad, all this blind faith is great until the ball is kicked then the reality we come home to roost it will be to late then

Johnson has had the last 9 months to sign a player to fit the bill how much more time does he need Its no good quoting his yeovil record and the time he has been with us. This league there are not so many players to choose from not like the lower division, this is were we see if he can make it or not.

I think Johnson is on the wind-up myself. He knows what a load of old moaning barstewards we are and I think he will get in absolutely nobody and bugger off to the Premiership at Christmas when he has more or less got us relegated. My source saw Roman Abramovich in the car park crouching down behind Enoch's motor whispering something in Johnson's direction - Johnson to Chelsea in January - you mark my words. You don't think he got that Pro Licence for nothing do you?

For the record Ashtonyate you are correct

We will not sign anybody decent

Johnson clearly is a useless Conference standard manager

We are all going to have a miserable season

The football will be awful

We will get 18 points all season if we're lucky

Crowds will be down to 3,800 by October

Bas Savage will be brought back in March as a last ditch attempt to escape the drop

And all the above at record high prices

Enjoy your season Ashtonyate - if you need to call the Samaritans I have the number!

Guest ashtonyate
I think Johnson is on the wind-up myself. He knows what a load of old moaning barstewards we are and I think he will get in absolutely nobody and bugger off to the Premiership at Christmas when he has more or less got us relegated. My source saw Roman Abramovich in the car park crouching down behind Enoch's motor whispering something in Johnson's direction - Johnson to Chelsea in January - you mark my words. You don't think he got that Pro Licence for nothing do you?

For the record Ashtonyate you are correct

We will not sign anybody decent

Johnson clearly is a useless Conference standard manager

We are all going to have a miserable season

The football will be awful

We will get 18 points all season if we're lucky

Crowds will be down to 3,800 by October

Bas Savage will be brought back in March as a last ditch attempt to escape the drop

And all the above at record high prices

Enjoy your season Ashtonyate - if you need to call the Samaritans I have the number!

Stop being so negative I think we will get at least 25 points and its not savage coming back he would cost too much now, its smith Johnson has a bet on that he will score this season

Stop being so negative I think we will get at least 25 points and its not savage coming back he would cost too much now, its smith Johnson has a bet on that he will score this season

Perhaps it will be Smith AND Savage up front! And you think we have problems. Can't see it myself.

Tell you what Ashtonyate. You think you can do better? Well go on then. You go and find us a 20 goal a season striker that fits into the Bristol City mentality and will cost under 750k and will be on around 5 k a week and will want to move him and his family to Bristol and choose us over the likes of Charlton, WBA, Wolves, Leicester, Coventry, Southampton, Norwich, Palace, Watford, Sheff Utd&Wed, Preston and Ipswich.

All of whom are established Championship clubs who wont be facing relegation this season, More like promotion. So if you were a player who would you honestly choose? Us or them?

Gj has said that we have 2 or 3 bids out there and they are very far along the road so it seems some signings are close. Lets just wait until 1st Sept when the window is closed to pass judgement.

Archived