IGNORED

Did We Need Another Wide Player

Guest ashtonyate

Guest ashtonyate
yes, they play on different wings mate.

Yes but will they play on both wings at the same time can't see it, Johnson will play very defensive this season.

But with Sproule record he may only play half a season anway

Yes but will they play on both wings at the same time can't see it, Johnson will play very defensive this season.

Why will Johnson play very defensive this season???? Why why why why why why why why why why?????

Sproule is a right winger

McInode is a left winger.

WE WILL PLAY BOTH.

Yes but will they play on both wings at the same time can't see it,

Well, you will.

Johnson will play very defensive this season.

He never has before when his team have stepped up a level. He won't this season. He might try and be solid away from home but he will be looking to win each home game.

You really do work hard at being negative about everything don't you? And again you get it wrong. Sproule played 94 games for Hibs in just over 2 years. Get a clue.

I can definately see it. Our only 2 signings so far are quick attacking tricky wingers which suggests we won't be playing defensive football this season. If we play defensively all season then we will get beat every week. I'm sure Johnson will continue to produce exciting attacking football as he did last season.

Yeah but nice to have options to change things around though isnt it - especially if the options have players playing in their natural positions - btw you think we are going to be playing defensive against Plymouth, S****horpe, Barnsley, QPR, Blackpool, Colchester, Hull - if we play defensive against these teams then we desreve everything we get...

You love it don't you AY?

People have explained the situation and explained how and why two different players can play on two different positions. They've also explained why two wingers would be great and how the pace would benefit the team but your still whinging about something.

All I can suggest is counselling.

After all the dust has settled I am confused by the signing of Mcindoe we have wide players in abundance. Before Mcindoe signing we had Sproule Murrey Betsey Williams Showunmi all wide players now Mcindoe.

Yet we still have not signed a player in the position that we need the most, I know we are given a trial to Finnbogason but he still is very inexperienced and young.

What I also don't understand with Finnbogason is it is well known for weeks now that he was going to have a trial with us yet only one team has tryied him out if he is that hot a property why is that we will wait and see.

But never the less if he is a good signing we still are short of a quality target man hopefully Johnson will address this soon

Every silver lining had a black cloud doesn't it? Why don't you wait for a ball to be kicked before you go off on one? Or do you secretly hope the city don't do very well then you can come back here and gloat, " See, told you so". If city do reasonable well then you are in for the biggest slagging of all time... enjoy

I have seen so many posts in the last two seasons wondering where are left sided midfield player/ winger was. I am betting, although of course I can't be sure, that some of those posts may have been by AshtonYate himself.

We get one at last and his first post is "do we really need one?" . It is quite incredible really how someone can be so consistently contrary, it deserves some sort of reward really.........

After all the dust has settled I am confused by the signing of Mcindoe we have wide players in abundance. Before Mcindoe signing we had Sproule Murrey Betsey Williams Showunmi all wide players now Mcindoe.

Yet we still have not signed a player in the position that we need the most, I know we are given a trial to Finnbogason but he still is very inexperienced and young.

What I also don't understand with Finnbogason is it is well known for weeks now that he was going to have a trial with us yet only one team has tryied him out if he is that hot a property why is that we will wait and see.

But never the less if he is a good signing we still are short of a quality target man hopefully Johnson will address this soon

Who's to say we wont be selling a player?

everyone is assuming sproule will play on the wing.

my guess is that if johnson starts the season with a 4-4-2 formation, sproule will play as a striker.

I was thinking this as an option myself,

His pace is obviouly a plus factor & he can score goals

We will have to wait and see...but Ilike the shape things are taking

Lets hope the rumours re the Slovak striker are good

I think McIndoe is a very good signing! Like people said, a left winger, seldom seen at the gate in recent years. We now have McIndoe, Sproule, Betsy, Murray with JMW and wilson possibly as wingers which I think is very sensible because in this league we're going to need good cover incase of injuries/suspentions.

I'm a bit confused by AsthonYate, why don't you think we'll play a left winger and a right winger at the same time??? :huh:

I don't see how anyone can moan about the signing of either Sproule or McIndoe.

There's a Wolves fan at work who ain't happy about it. He said they've let him go because they've signed Matt Jarvis but for him Jarvis is a bit of an unknown how he'll fit in their line-up whereas McIndoe "was quality"

We've bought two outright wingers who can slot into the wings as their "natural position".

That's the key - Sproule on the right, McIndoe on the left - NEITHER OF THEM PLAYING OUT OF POSITION - which is what I saw all last season!!!

In this league, we're going to be away at Hillsborough, St Mary's, Molineux, Hawthorns etc etc and we're going to be defending a fair bit so we need outright blistering pace and decent wing men to hit on the counter. This for me is what we now look like we'll have.

We just now need a good striker who can finish.

A fit Steve Brooker and hopefully one more signing?

All in all, happy as you can get about this signing!

Guest ashtonyate
I think McIndoe is a very good signing! Like people said, a left winger, seldom seen at the gate in recent years. We now have McIndoe, Sproule, Betsy, Murray with JMW and wilson possibly as wingers which I think is very sensible because in this league we're going to need good cover incase of injuries/suspentions.

I'm a bit confused by AsthonYate, why don't you think we'll play a left winger and a right winger at the same time??? :huh:

What do you call a winger is he someone who stays upfront or his he someone who attacks from midfield. My interpretation of a winger is someone who stays upfront. I can't see us playing with two wide men who do not go back to help

Now I can't see how you can play with 3 players staying upfront so are we talking of an attacking wide midfielder which is more likely what we will play so where does Betsy fit in to this or Murry

What do you call a winger is he someone who stays upfront or his he someone who attacks from midfield. My interpretation of a winger is someone who stays upfront. I can't see us playing with two wide men who do not go back to help

Ah now I see why you're confused, you're thinking of football in the 50s.

Winger these days means attacking from wide positions from midfield not hanging on the goal line. It carries a share of defensive responsibility though not as much as a central midfielder - mainly preventing the opposing full back from overlapping.

Now I can't see how you can play with 3 players staying upfront so are we talking of an attacking wide midfielder which is more likely what we will play so where does Betsy fit in to this or Murry

I'd reply properly but I've hurt my head from headbutting the desk in frustration!

I'm going for a little lie down now!

Arjen Robben, Ryan Giggs, John Barnes, Chris Waddle, Robert Pires oh and Steve Stone - THAT IS WINGERS

Guest ashtonyate
Ah now I see why you're confused, you're thinking of football in the 50s.

Winger these days means attacking from wide positions from midfield not hanging on the goal line. It carries a share of defensive responsibility though not as much as a central midfielder - mainly preventing the opposing full back from overlapping.

Right you mean an attacking wide midfielder not a winger, like betsy and Murry our a attacking wide midfielder right we cleared that one up

AY FFS mate, just being a little positive for a change would be nice.

Its a bloody good signing of which you should be happy

AY FFS mate, just being a little positive for a change would be nice.

Its a bloody good signing of which you should be happy

Second that Arn; in G. Johnson we trust

Right you mean an attacking wide midfielder not a winger, like betsy and Murry our a attacking wide midfielder right we cleared that one up

nearly as good as the wolves fan on the other thread you are mate. i for one will be referring to all wingers from now on as "attacking wide midfielder right/left".

Sorry but we definatly needed a left winger!!!!

Betsy and wilson are crap. Probibly the two worse signings we have made in a long time!

I think betsy 's days are over at city. Wilson may make it at right back but thats questionable?

Two great wingers we have signed. I hope?

Up and up the CITY!!!!!

I know we got promoted with them, but I think it was down to the rest of the squad!

No, I mean a winger, in the post war sense of the word. It's 2007 Mr Yate, you might not like it but that's a fact. Wingers bring the ball forward now they don't stand around in the opposition half waiting for the ball.

No wonder you have so much trouble understanding what goes on in modern football.

Well my interpretation of wingers is two players who play either side of the 2 centre midfielders (assuming the formation is 4-4-2). To me, and I don't think i'm alone here, someone who stays upfront is called a striker!?!?

As for Betsy and Murray, well they will have to fight for their places along with Sproule and McIndoe. Unless Betsy plays linebacker with Murray as quarter back?

Guest ashtonyate
Well my interpretation of wingers is two players who play either side of the 2 centre midfielders (assuming the formation is 4-4-2). To me, and I don't think i'm alone here, someone who stays upfront is called a striker!?!?

As for Betsy and Murray, well they will have to fight for their places along with Sproule and McIndoe. Unless Betsy plays linebacker with Murray as quarter back?

Well to me a winger is a player that plays on the wing not dropping back much past the half way line like Walsh used to do I class a player who drops back and defend as a midfield player.

Well to me a winger is a player that plays on the wing not dropping back much past the half way line like Walsh used to do I class a player who drops back and defend as a midfield player.

Care to name a player you consider a winger by that "definition" then?

Archived