IGNORED

Remember Gary Reputations Can Be Lost

Guest ashtonyate

As for naming players I will give you the same answer are you saying that none of the player who have moved in the last ten or so months are not good enough, and would not have done the job for us.

Nobody is saying that. But spending large amounts is not always the answer. A player may not fit for a 100 different reasons, none of which any of us are privvy to.

Why do you assume, even now, that we are just scratching around for the dregs at the bottom of the barrel, when Johnson has pulled off two signings out of nowhere as far as the fans are concerned?

Your initial posting about reputations is an interesting one, I actually think that GJ is still forging one rather than having gained it already but that's a moot point. These two outfield signings have enhanced that reputation not tarnished it.

Your own reputation though, is already forged....... I doubt very much whether you would ever lose it in the future! You must be very proud.

That's not an answer it's a question. But i'll fall into your trap anyway.

I am saying, there is not one striker who we could have signed in this transfer window, that has moved to a smaller or equal standing club for a reasonable fee, that would have guaranteed us goals in this league or even has scored goals in the league below. That's what I'm saying. So in the last ten months I don't think there is a striker who we could reasonably expected to have landed who would have scored much more than our current strikers have.

Who could we have got? Seriously, this is like Paxman vs Howard, answer the question Howard. Which striker could and should we have got?

What i want to know is did he threaten to over rule him ;)

Can't quite believe I am taking the bait as I'm more and more convinved by the day that you are a gashead on a wind-up but here goes anyway... The club have made it abundantly clear that work is going on behind the scenes to sign players and that we have bids in with clubs. That GJ has been looking at Finnbogasson is demonstrable proof that he feels that we are short on strikers.

We are actively pursuing players - that is a fact.

GJ believes that he is short on at least 1 striker - that is a fact.

But, hey, why let the facts get in the way of a good rant?

So we should only be targeting players who are being targeted by bigger clubs, thereby reducing our chances of actually getting the players to sign for us? Are you utterly immune to the idea that GJ may unearth a player who the bigger clubs haven't targeted or have mistakenly written off? Lita was written off by Chelsea but he didn't do a bad job for us when he was finally given his chance. Andy Cole was allowed to leave for us by Arsenal and he's gone on to win every honour in the game bar a World Cup. Reading found Kevin Doyle a couple of seasons ago when no big clubs were interested. I could go on and on but you know fine well that your argument is utter twaddle.

Why, oh why, am I trying to reason with you - you are clearly incapable of doing such a thing. These 'turkeys' to whom you refer got us promoted a few months ago. Nobody is saying that we don't need to add some quality to the squad - GJ and SL are actively trying to do so - but the disdain which you hold for those players is quite astonishing (assuming that you aren't a gashead on a long-term windup).

Go on, then. Name one. Who would you sign? Really, I would like to know.

As for Trundle, how heavy is he? What is his BMI? How does he fare in beep tests? How does he do in the cross-country? How much body fat is he carrying? Do you have any evidence whatsoever that he is overweight? Any? And how do you know that his better days are behind him? Players these days are very different to what they were 20 years ago in terms of how long they can compete for - how old was McAllister when he had his fantastic season for Liverpool? How can you possibly know that his next 3 or 4 seasons aren't going to be his peak? The truth is that you can't know but I'd sooner trust the judgement of GJ, his scouts and his sports professionals than some bloke from Yate who is on a one man mission to put a negative slant on anything that the club ever does.

I don't think GJ will be particularly trembling if he is unfortunate enough to read this post. Of course crowds can turn, but you turned years ago anyway when you decided that nothing that the club could do was good enough. If GJ ever stops trying to do his job properly and starts trying to keep the likes of you happy instead then it will be a very sad day. Fortunately, that isn't ever going to happen so you may as well resign yourself to the reality that you are never going to be satisfied and leave GJ to get on with signing the players that he wants in peace and quiet.

Ah well, that's 10 minutes of my life that I'll never get back...

I was very tempted to write something very similar to this....but I have now seen the light! Never again will I respond to one of AY's ridiculously negative posts!

I don't have a problem with anyone having concerns and airing them on this forum or in any other way that they choose, but AY has taken it to a whole new level, and one that i don't want to go to.

As i wrote to him in another thread....the boy has cried wolf once too often!

I will not name a player because them you get silly argument but lets put it another way are you saying no play that has moved clubs since the end of last season would be good enough for us

Torres

Tevez

Ronaldo (the fat one)

Bellamy

Fowler

Owen (he's unsettled at Newcastle - I don't care what anyone says...)

Its not me hiding be that big word I think you need to pay the going rate what ever, the fans are made to pay the going rate for there tickets Wigan was made to pay the going rate for Cottrell.

If you can get a player cheap great but quality will pay in the end. As for foreign players they are not use to our game if they have never played here before so it takes a time to settle we need someone who can perform right away we are that poor up front.

As for naming players I will give you the same answer are you saying that none of the player who have moved in the last ten or so months are not good enough, and would not have done the job for us.

What was the going rate for Cotterill?

Before the Northampton game, I am pretty certain that we would have snapped someone's hand off if we had received a bid if £1m for him. Wigan had been tracking him for a while, as had Norwich. After Cott's stormer on the telly Wigan knew they had to bid up to get him and as a result we ended up with £2m. The Norwich chairman posted on their website an apology for not getting Coterill but explained that they were outbid and could't compete. If only 1 club had been after him I suspect we would have got only about £1m.

This just goes to show that the Prem clubs have so much money that they can bid what is necesary to get their man, even if it is not a true market valuation. The problem is that even the relegated clubs have a huge parachute payment so, as Charlton in particular have demonstated, they are out of our league in purchasing terms.

As a result, if we are going after what might be termed a proven player, particularly if a striker, and find ourselves up against a top Champoionship or prem club, then their financial muscle will either price us out very quickly, or we will end up having to pay stupid money . If the latter, then the purchase becomes very high risk for us should it not work out.

Bernie has posted a thread today which is an interesting read. In particular, that BCFC is regarded highly in the "upper echelons" of the game for the way the club is run and managed. There are other interesting insights into the transfer market. In the light of all this I would rather GJ handle his transfer dealings the way he does, so that whatever player brings in we can be pretty confident that the player will be right for us, and the fee will represent good value for BCFC.

Even with SL's money I hope we never get carried away with silly money purchases just to keep AY happy ( although I think the chances of AY being happy are very remote!)

I cannot still believe that we still have not got a central striker this late in proceedings we got lots wide players but still no one in the middle I am amazed at the prospect of us going into the new season with no central striker being signed.

It seems that Finnboggson is not producing the good which I thought may be the case as if he was that good he would been targeted by a bigger club than us still early days but its not looking good for him.

So as my post said in May (It was the night before Christmas) we now are left with the Turkeys which one will Johnson pluck, all this talk about Trundle is Pie in the sky we need a fast hungry target man not an over weight player who better days are over looking for a big pay packet.

As i said Gary Ashton Gate Crowds can turn on a sixpence if thing are not going well be warned.

Oh my xmas must have been fun at your house when you were growing up .....

I sent Santa my request for a bicycle ages ago and he still hasnt got it for me and it's 12th of December already.

I seen my mates mum's buying my mates their bikes but omg my mum and dad havent done nothing.

I seen Mum buying stuffing Cranberry sauce and loads of of vegtables doesnt she know we need a "Turkey" not duck not goose but a turkey not a cheap bernard matthews turkey, a turkey which has been corn fed and is ready to go - I know there are frozen turkeys out there but I want a fresh turkey - I told my mum vegetables isnt going to make the xmas dinner a winner it has to be turkey - why isnt she listening to me we need a turkey and I want a fresh one and I want to know where my bike is - it's still 2 weeks til xmas but I demand to be told. As time goes by the chances of me geting the bike I wanted going down and down to the extent that unless she pre-ordered my bike then I am going to be left with a tricycle with stabilisers and we are going to have to have a vegetarian xmas dinner. Unless they havent told me something

Guest ashtonyate
Oh my xmas must have been fun at your house when you were growing up .....

I sent Santa my request for a bicycle ages ago and he still hasnt got it for me and it's 12th of December already.

I seen my mates mum's buying my mates their bikes but omg my mum and dad havent done nothing.

I seen Mum buying stuffing Cranberry sauce and loads of of vegtables doesnt she know we need a "Turkey" not duck not goose but a turkey not a cheap bernard matthews turkey, a turkey which has been corn fed and is ready to go - I know there are frozen turkeys out there but I want a fresh turkey - I told my mum vegetables isnt going to make the xmas dinner a winner it has to be turkey - why isnt she listening to me we need a turkey and I want a fresh one and I want to know where my bike is - it's still 2 weeks til xmas but I demand to be told. As time goes by the chances of me geting the bike I wanted going down and down to the extent that unless she pre-ordered my bike then I am going to be left with a tricycle with stabilisers and we are going to have to have a vegetarian xmas dinner. Unless they havent told me something

Bit early to start Drinking is it A striker was on my Christmas list last year and we got a Turkey Smith

Guest ashtonyate
Was promotion on your list?

Answer the question Howard!

No at Christmas I though promotion was out of the question and to be fair the team were playing poor some of the game we were terrible but then about February we started to play better I still say it was a poor Division and the team is not good enough to survive in the Championship without a good central striker then we are going to have to be lucky

the team is not good enough to survive in the Championship without a good central striker

Well, you may be correct, but then

at Christmas I though promotion was out of the question

so you've already proven your judgment to be inept so why would anyone in their right mind listen to what you are saying now?

Guest ashtonyate
Well, you may be correct, but then

so you've already proven your judgment to be inept so why would anyone in their right mind listen to what you are saying now?

Well did you think we would go up at the start of the year then, and do you think we will stay up without a couple of strikers

Well did you think we would go up at the start of the year then, and do you think we will stay up without a couple of strikers

At the start of the year we were three points off of the top of the league...so yes!

You're not answering the questions Howard.

Name the player we should and could have signed?

Why when you're consistently wrong do you still believe you're right?

Guest ashtonyate
At the start of the year we were three points off of the top of the league...so yes!

You're not answering the questions Howard.

Name the player we should and could have signed?

Why when you're consistently wrong do you still believe you're right?

Instead of me tell you the players we should have signed tell me the ones we should not have signed

Instead of me tell you the players we should have signed tell me the ones we should not have signed

Ok, I'll do that. George Best.

Your turn.

1) that's not the opposite question to mine anyway.

The question you meant to ask was, give me some names of players we could and should have signed?

I've said i don't think we should and could've have signed anybody who's gone so far. That's EVERY name that's gone before, take your pick lad. Varney, Sharp, Hawley, Platt, Eastwood etc etc

You make yourself look more and more ridiculous every time you fail to answer the question. I find you hilarious.

You won't even give me one name Howard, one player you think we could've and should've signed?

Guest ashtonyate

The question you meant to ask was, give me some names of players we could and should have signed?

I've said i don't think we should and could've have signed anybody who's gone so far. That's EVERY name that's gone before, take your pick lad. Varney, Sharp, Hawley, Platt, Eastwood etc etc

You make yourself look more and more ridiculous every time you fail to answer the question. I find you hilarious.

You won't even give me one name Howard, one player you think we could've and should've signed?

Most of them would have done now your going to say we could not afford them ant you

he is dead

Never... Is he really? Next you'll be telling me that Tony Blair's not Prime Minister any more.

Now, how about answering the question?

hu? how'd i get brought into this?

Most of them would have done now your going to say we could not afford them ant you

Yes, either that or we didn't want them, or they were being chased by bigger clubs than us.

Answer the question.

Please, it's the only way you'll get anywhere.

One player who we could and should have signed?

Guest ashtonyate
Yes, either that or we didn't want them, or they were being chased by bigger clubs than us.

Answer the question.

Please, it's the only way you'll get anywhere.

One player who we could and should have signed?

Eastman or sharp would be my chose

Who the **** is Eastman? If you mean Eastwood I think that Southend were\are holding out for offers over £2.5m

Also Sharp was being chased by top championship clubs and has now signed for Sheffield United (I think) who have more chance of going up than we do and also able to pay higher wages due to parachute payments.

It also would have probably used all of our transfer budget on one player.

You seriously think we could compete with what Sheffield United or Wolves were offering?

Not just even financially, but just purely on a football level?

Finally, you condemn yourself with your own words.

Guest ashtonyate
You seriously think we could compete with what Sheffield United or Wolves were offering?

Not just even financially, but just purely on a football level?

Finally, you condemn yourself with your own words.

Well that's the league we are in if he does good we will get alot more than we paid and give us a chance to stay up I am not saying buy 10 at that price just one will do

Well that's the league we are in if he does good we will get alot more than we paid and give us a chance to stay up I am not saying buy 10 at that price just one will do

But there isn't one available to us.

They have gone elsewhere, they'd have gone elsewhere whether or not we had (or did) bid for them!

You've said two names, both of which went to much bigger clubs than us who are looking to get into the Premiership this year.

Name a sensible name who we could've got, who isn't a "Turkey"

Guest ashtonyate
But there isn't one available to us.

They have gone elsewhere, they'd have gone elsewhere whether or not we had (or did) bid for them!

You've said two names, both of which went to much bigger clubs than us who are looking to get into the Premiership this year.

Name a sensible name who we could've got, who isn't a "Turkey"

Its Johnson job to sell the club and its lansdown job to fund the players we need you ask me to name a player that's not a turkey but that's the point if you will not pay the price them that's what you are left with, or players who will be a gamble

Was buying two wide players necessary could one of the fees have gone on a quality striker , Its no good having nice body work if you got a crap engine and now if the transfer rumours are true we are signing Trundle not the position we need to fill.

Its Johnson job to sell the club and its lansdown job to fund the players we need you ask me to name a player that's not a turkey but that's the point if you will not pay the price them that's what you are left with, or players who will be a gamble

You just don't get it do you?

How can we compete with Wolves, Sheff Utd and Charlton? All three are bigger clubs with more money and more support. Even if we meet the asking price for a player he will go to any of those three before us.

Was buying two wide players necessary could one of the fees have gone on a quality striker , Its no good having nice body work if you got a crap engine and now if the transfer rumours are true we are signing Trundle not the position we need to fill.

I don't really want Trundle but are you for real - that's exactly the position we need to fill. We just need to fill it with players with pace.

Guest ashtonyate
You just don't get it do you?

How can we compete with Wolves, Sheff Utd and Charlton? All three are bigger clubs with more money and more support. Even if we meet the asking price for a player he will go to any of those three before us.

I don't really want Trundle but are you for real - that's exactly the position we need to fill. We just need to fill it with players with pace.

Well have it your way we need a pace target man if you say that's what Trundle is ok

Archived