IGNORED

Enoch Showunmi

Ian M

• Admin

Anyone else notice with all the talk of how fat Trundle is and how Jevons is in the wrong career, Enoch Showunmi has been quietly going about his business scoring in each of our pre-season games thus far?

As we all know, Enoch was a late starter in football and last season was pretty much his first season as a consistent first XI starter up front.

Personally I'll be keeping a close eye on Enoch throughout the rest of pre-season as he possesses all the right ingredients to be a top class striker and who knows, this season he might just surprise all of us and bag 15+ goals from CF! (Something only 8 clubs in the Championship could boast about one of their players last season).

Belated apologies for posting in a positive manner

Hmm i was about to post the very same sort of topic actually about our Enoch.

3 goals, 3 games.

I really rate the bloke, I think he's a great lone striker with pace ability and physique . GJ would have worked on him over the summer and I'm very confident we'll see a much more imposing Enoch this year.

When people slag off our strikeforce i really think they're being harsh on this guy who's clearly got alot about him as a player and will do well in the championship.

I'd be more than happy with him up front this season + another. He will score 13+ provided he plays the same amount of games.

Anyone else notice with all the talk of how fat Trundle is and how Jevons is in the wrong career, Enoch Showunmi has been quietly going about his business scoring in each of our pre-season games thus far?

As we all know, Enoch was a late starter in football and last season was pretty much his first season as a consistent first XI starter up front.

Personally I'll be keeping a close eye on Enoch throughout the rest of pre-season as he possesses all the right ingredients to be a top class striker and who knows, this season he might just surprise all of us and bag 15+ goals from CF! (Something only 8 clubs in the Championship could boast about one of their players last season).

We saw glimpes of what Enoch is capable of last season.For a big (huge) bloke he has a decent touch and is a cool finisher.

That said his attitude is lacking on occaisions and he doesn't always put in a full shift. He's also prone to injury/illness and missed too many games for my likeing last season.

If he can stay fit and sharpen up his attitude and improve his work rate then 15 goals next season could be realistic.

Oh Dear

If Enoch is going to be our 'One to watch' then we are in for a hell of a long season.

I whole heartedly agree - I think Enoch will be in front of Jevons and Brooker in the pecking order. Yes there have been times when he's been off the pace and hasn't loked 100% interested, but most players have days like that.

I think he can get 15 goals, the only issue being the fitness side which has been mentioned.

I think alot of people we're surprised by Enoch last year. Although he missed many games he still ended up with a good goals return, more than I expected anyway! So I think if he stays fit and works hard to improve some parts of his game then I can see double figures again, just who will partner him though...

Enoch could become a very good forward and target man, providing he stays in the centre forward position, and no way let him play left wing. Let him concentrate on ONE position so he can learn to make this his own. Treat him roughly in training, chuck potatoes sacks at him (full) so he gets used to bumps and bruises and give him more confidence to get stuck in. If he can harden himself up IMO he will become a class forward!

We saw glimpes of what Enoch is capable of last season.For a big (huge) bloke he has a decent touch and is a cool finisher.

That said his attitude is lacking on occaisions and he doesn't always put in a full shift. He's also prone to injury/illness and missed too many games for my likeing last season.

If he can stay fit and sharpen up his attitude and improve his work rate then 15 goals next season could be realistic.

Agree ES is not the most pleasant on the eye player, but he has a knack of scoring vital goals.

I felt his touch let him down last season, but GJ could be improving him season by season.

The best performance I saw from Enoch was the game where he ended up going off with his head bandaged. He went off for treatment and when he came back he was so fired up he frightened me let alone the opposition defenders.

I suggested at the time that maybe someone should smack him around the head before the start of each game, a bit extreme maybe but something seems to be needed to motivate him to get stuck in.

Who`s that coming over the hill it`s Showunmi :dancing6: knocked a few goals in and will continue to do so and does put effort in most of the time, problem being we aint got much in reserve, thus Trundle etc threads.

Murray and the other 2 wide boys should get a few goals as will Noble and even our defenders, Jevons hmmmm an enigma can do it as well but disappears for to long.

Which ever way you cut it we remain to light up front at the moment, but no doubt that is being addressed as I type :fingerscrossed:

I don't get some of our fans, our top scorer last season is getting slaughtered yet out 2nd top scorer who would not play if he took the slightest knock will be our saviour next year???

I think he did ok in his first season at home but apart from a goal away at crewe contributed next to nothing away from home as to me he did not seem up for it.

I would love nothing more than Enoch to put away 15+ goals next season but i don't think he will play that much.

The best performance I saw from Enoch was the game where he ended up going off with his head bandaged. He went off for treatment and when he came back he was so fired up he frightened me let alone the opposition defenders.

I suggested at the time that maybe someone should smack him around the head before the start of each game, a bit extreme maybe but something seems to be needed to motivate him to get stuck in.

Maybe GJ took a leaf out of the Brian Clough training manual and told him he was Pele after banging his head?!!!

I think he got either frustrated or confused and disillusioned last season by playing out wide at times and up front at others. Like others have said he needs to be allowed to concentrate on his prefered position. However he was needed to be adaptable at the time, due to our ongoing striker problems, and he did a better job than many other players asked to play out of position would have.

He always seems genuine and the fans like him, not the finished artical by far but a rough diamond who his having the edges knocked off.

There was an interview with Sky Andrews on tv last night, he said although talent would get you far it was more grit, determination and 'stickability' that sorts out the men from the boys. If Enoch can 'up' some of this and toughen up mentally and physically, like a few others have done, we will have a very useful player.

Obviously I don't watch a lot of City, but last season the player who stood out in my mind was Enoch, I thought he played well for you against Rovers and the odd times I heard some of the commentry he seemed to play very well, I could be wrong but my thoughts are that you have a great player in him.

Look, its not just "miserable fans" who are unsure about our current strikeforce. GJ and SL wouldnt be in the market for Trundle if they thought we could make do with what we have.

Enoch could turn out to be a good player in the championship. But, if we can get a proven performer, why take the gamble ? We've worked very hard to get promotion, lets not risk it for the sake of sentimentality.

Guest chingfordred
Look, its not just "miserable fans" who are unsure about our current strikeforce. GJ and SL wouldnt be in the market for Trundle if they thought we could make do with what we have.

Enoch could turn out to be a good player in the championship. But, if we can get a proven performer, why take the gamble ? We've worked very hard to get promotion, lets not risk it for the sake of sentimentality.

We should have signed Easter when we had the chance. forget attitude, GJ could have stamped that out of him.

If Showumni could keep fit and take the knocks we would have a decent attacking three, bit of a cheap mans Chelski e.g. Drogba as the battering ram with two skillfull wingers.

. . . . . . . . . . . .Basso

Wilson... Carey.... McCombe... McCallister

..........Johnson... Skuse... Noble

Sproule. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . McIndoe

. . . . . . . . . . . Showumni

If Showumni could keep fit and take the knocks we would have a decent attacking three, bit of a cheap mans Chelski e.g. Drogba as the battering ram with two skillfull wingers.

. . . . . . . . . . . .Basso

Wilson... Carey.... McCombe... McCallister

..........Johnson... Skuse... Noble

Sproule. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . McIndoe

. . . . . . . . . . . Showumni

Tell you what DR, thats a bloody good line up.

E mail it to Mr Johnson please

I like the look of that - but with Orr at right back maybe.

No keep Wilson at right back. Although I rate Orr alot, I feel Wilsons pace will help us no end this season if he replaces Orr there. Wilson started showing glimpses towards the end of season what he was capable of.

I've posted a couple of times in the closed season that I think Enoch will do very well in this division. Some of his best performances came against the better sides, including Coventry. Opponents don't seem to know what to do when they have a big bloke who is not scared of running at them with the ball at his feet.

As you say, he's a latecomer and I think he's already proved that those Luton fans who insisted he's the worst player they've ever seen pull on their shirt don't have a clue.

The big concern for me was that he went off form for a while last season before comin gback a bit towards the end. That may be down to his lack of seasons under the belt, and hopefully we'll get the full deal throughout the season from him. If that's the case, then he could make himself undropable.

Enoch could be such a hero at the Gate, he is awesome in full flight for a big guy, his finishing aint bad, and he has bags of potential, imo.Last season you could sense the fans willing him on even when he was 'disappearing' during matches.

However, he needs to toughen up in terms of 'knocks', work on his heading, which is his achilles heel for a guy who is 6'5" and be less prone to being outmuscled by aggressive opponents.For a huge fella, he is a bit of a lightweight in terms of the physical aspects at times,amazingly.

If he improves on these areas, he will be a great asset this season. If not he could be regarded, sadly, as a 'nearly' man.

I would love him to step up and ensure that he is the top gun up front.He did well last season for us overall, let's hope he can surpass that this season.3 in 3 pre-season games is a great start, and hopefully his confidence will be sky high by August 11th, when it really matters.

We should have signed Easter when we had the chance. forget attitude, GJ could have stamped that out of him.

I'm fed up with all this "should have signed Easter" b0ll0ck$. What the **** has Jermaine Easter done at Championship or even LEAGUE 1 level in his career?

As for Enoch, I think he will do a decent job for us this season, regardless of who we sign and 10-15 goals are on the cards. Like it or not, he is our main man at present due to the lack of other viable options. If we can buy another 15 goals to go alongside him and the rest of the forwards in their more limited appearances can score near to a dozen between them then we won't do so bad given that we now have a goal threat in other areas of the team!!

• Admin
I'm fed up with all this "should have signed Easter" b0ll0ck$. What the f*** has Jermaine Easter done at Championship or even LEAGUE 1 level in his career?

As for Enoch, I think he will do a decent job for us this season, regardless of who we sign and 10-15 goals are on the cards. Like it or not, he is our main man at present due to the lack of other viable options. If we can buy another 15 goals to go alongside him and the rest of the forwards in their more limited appearances can score near to a dozen between them then we won't do so bad given that we now have a goal threat in other areas of the team!!

He scored 24 goals in all competitions whilst playing at League 2 level which is less than Jevons did and hadn't we all decided Jevons was shit?

I think not only Showunmi upped his game but other players as well...

In any walk of life it's human nature to respond positively to a threat to your position. I think Showunmi and, probably, Jevo did just that in Latvia this week even if the one new striker recruit ultimately did not earn a contract [finbog]. the threat was there and that is sometimes all that is required.

However, with a permanent signing of 1 or 2 new strikers the ones we have will surely up their game.

Archived