IGNORED

I Thought We Were Relegated

downendcity

Surely we've had time to get over our relegation at the end of last season by no. OK, there was no way we could hang on to our best players because they are capable of playing at a higher standard so we go into this season with a squad of failures, a crop of inexperienced youngsters and past it pro's at the end of their careers.

As for the Manager, we knew he was the wrong choice when he was appointed (the Chairmen should never have got rid of his predecessor)and we should never have given him as long as Christmas before getting rid. Anyway, when did he ever acheive anything? It was his management that got us into this mess so why should we believe that he will get us out of it?

Sorry? You say that we were PROMOTED at the end of last season? Surely not because a lot of City fans seem to think that this season is a failure and we haven't even kicked a ball in anger . (I am now certain that Ashtonyate is Private Fraser's son - "we're doomed I tell you, we're all dooooooooooomed!")

A dose of reality and sanity seems to be called for. We've made what seem to me 2 excellent additions to the squad ( Sproule and McIndoe) and in positions where we've been weak for some time. I don't think GJ needs any of us to tell him that we could do with a good striker, capable of getting goals in this division, but tell me another manager in the Championship who isn't thinking the same? Any good striker is going to be in demand, and I am sure there are players we would like, but that's a fat lot of good unless they want to come to us. Naismith would have been nice but to a Scottish lad a choice between City and rangers obviously needs a week or two to ponder over!

We could have gone for Billy Sharpe (a 1st division striker if you remember) but he would have cost £2m when he hasn't played championship football before, and anyway why would he want to come to us, when he can join a recently relegated prem club likely to figure strongly in this years promotion fight and with more financial muscle than we have? DJ Campbell has gone to Leicester for over £2m, which goes to show there is more money than sense in some clubs, so what hope do we have?

We've got were we are because the chairman and manager have managed shrewdly and sensibly. I'd rather we get the right players in for the club, even if it takes a bit of time, than rush into the market with a big buy just in order to keep the fans "happy".

Surely we've had time to get over our relegation at the end of last season by no. OK, there was no way we could hang on to our best players because they are capable of playing at a higher standard so we go into this season with a squad of failures, a crop of inexperienced youngsters and past it pro's at the end of their careers.

As for the Manager, we knew he was the wrong choice when he was appointed (the Chairmen should never have got rid of his predecessor)and we should never have given him as long as Christmas before getting rid. Anyway, when did he ever acheive anything? It was his management that got us into this mess so why should we believe that he will get us out of it?

Sorry? You say that we were PROMOTED at the end of last season? Surely not because a lot of City fans seem to think that this season is a failure and we haven't even kicked a ball in anger . (I am now certain that Ashtonyate is Private Fraser's son - "we're doomed I tell you, we're all dooooooooooomed!")

A dose of reality and sanity seems to be called for. We've made what seem to me 2 excellent additions to the squad ( Sproule and McIndoe) and in positions where we've been weak for some time. I don't think GJ needs any of us to tell him that we could do with a good striker, capable of getting goals in this division, but tell me another manager in the Championship who isn't thinking the same? Any good striker is going to be in demand, and I am sure there are players we would like, but that's a fat lot of good unless they want to come to us. Naismith would have been nice but to a Scottish lad a choice between City and rangers obviously needs a week or two to ponder over!

We could have gone for Billy Sharpe (a 1st division striker if you remember) but he would have cost £2m when he hasn't played championship football before, and anyway why would he want to come to us, when he can join a recently relegated prem club likely to figure strongly in this years promotion fight and with more financial muscle than we have? DJ Campbell has gone to Leicester for over £2m, which goes to show there is more money than sense in some clubs, so what hope do we have?

We've got were we are because the chairman and manager have managed shrewdly and sensibly. I'd rather we get the right players in for the club, even if it takes a bit of time, than rush into the market with a big buy just in order to keep the fans "happy".

Another do gooder. Its boring mate. Bet the cold winter evenings fly by in your house don't they ?

Good stuff Downend. I am in full support of GJ and always have been. He has proved it over and over with the likes of McCombe, Basso etc...

Yea sure we did have the apparent crap signing, such as Bas Savage (to some). But you could argue Savage salvaged (get it?!) our form and gave our team a kick up the arse when we needed it. You couldn't knock his spirit!

I think signings such as Bas Savage are a pivotal indication in the faith that I for one have in Gary Johnson!

Excited to see how we get on this year and what Johnsons next move will be in the transfer market.

You have to remember that the average City fan is accustomed to failure.The more recent ones have seen the club struggle for 8 years to get out of the 'lower leagues'.City had spent one season in the next division before coming straight back down. Before that we saw City tumble form the top flight to the basement in double quicktime.

Don't knock the faithfull for being 'negative'.History has taught them that Bristol City never quite make it and despite all the hype and 30% increase in ST prices this season nothing yet will have changed that.

Facts are that BCFC have had approx 15 successfull seasons in over a 100 years.Thats why many of us are a cynical lot,

You have to remember that the average City fan is accustomed to failure.The more recent ones have seen the club struggle for 8 years to get out of the 'lower leagues'.City had spent one season in the next division before coming straight back down. Before that we saw City tumble form the top flight to the basement in double quicktime.

Don't knock the faithfull for being 'negative'.History has taught them that Bristol City never quite make it and despite all the hype and 30% increase in ST prices this season nothing yet will have changed that.

Facts are that BCFC have had approx 15 successfull seasons in over a 100 years.Thats why many of us are a cynical lot,

I completely agree with the original post and I'm sure the long winter nights are just fine in his house (ref other post)

However, horribly, Robbo is right also.. our almost complete failure over all of our lifetimes makes us a cynical lot

Nevertheless I am positive about 07-08.............Lets just try it for an hour or two it might make a few of us happier people

I 100% agree with you and would like to play my part in keeping this post on page 1! I have a lot of faith in the decision making of Johnson and the board and think we're in a much better position than the last time we went up. Can't wait for my season ticket to come through!

If we can't be positive now before a ball is kicked and when everyone has no points,

we never will be. Keep the faith and belief in our players manager and board. It is going to

be a really exciting season, just enjoy the anticipation.

had to laugh at this. but i do agree, I'll give it before mid-night till this thread is on page 2,

it's to positive

Chris, hopefully Gj wil prove the doubters wrong the same as this thread as doen with your original prediction.

Another do gooder. Its boring mate. Bet the cold winter evenings fly by in your house don't they ?

Your right they do. A bit of embroidery, macrame, making model boats out of old matchsticks, weaving, knitting patchwork quilts for charidy - time lies by when your having fun!

Absolutely first class post Robbered. Simple, telling it as it is in plain English with no aggression. Well done sir.

:city: Up the CITY!

Keep it positive lads & ladies! at least until we actually lose a game (which may not even happen!)

Come on it's fantasy time of year, time to dream of the unthinkable and the promised land! not wallow in the mud of relegation anxiety!!!

Archived