IGNORED

Memories

Harry

Far too much transfer speculation going on at the moment, but with the signings we have made so far (Sproule, McCindoe) and those we haven't (Trundle, Messi, Ronaldinho), gets me thinking of the sort of exciting players we've seen in the past.

As a relatively new poster on here, I don't know if this topic has been raised before, I'm sure it has, but who, for you, is your fave player you've actually witnessed playing for our beloved City.

I started going down the gate in 1987, and some of the 'heroes' since my time supporting are Robbie Newman, Bobby Taylor, Walshy, Super Scotty Murray......the list could go on.

But for me, my all time fave simply had to be Jacki Dzieckanowski. I don't think I'll be priviledge to seeing such a massive talent in a City shirt for a long long time. Yes he was moody, temperamental, bad for the dressing room, a total booze-hound and prone to the odd glassing incident in wine bars, but when that guy strutted his stuff, it was pure magic. I just loved watching him like no other that has gone before or since.

I've had this debate down the pub with mates and we all have a different answer to this (football is a game of opinions of course!).

So who's yours??

Pre - 1987 - Gerry Gow.

Post- 1987 - Shuan Taylor.

Similiar in many ways. Both 100%ers and tought tacklers.Both influencial and leaders on the pitch. Gow the better footballer by a mile but that said they played in very different positions.

'Jackie' never impressed me.Nothing more than a lazy trickster.Gave nothing to the team - not even many goals. A showboater of the highest quality but nothing more.

Pre - 1987 - Gerry Gow.

Post- 1987 - Shuan Taylor.

Similiar in many ways. Both 100%ers and tought tacklers.Both influencial and leaders on the pitch. Gow the better footballer by a mile but that said they played in very different positions.

'Jackie' never impressed me.Nothing more than a lazy trickster.Gave nothing to the team - not even many goals. A showboater of the highest quality but nothing more.

So between Gow and Taylor years, who? Maybe Rob Newman or Andy Llewelyn if 100%ers are your thing. Do you remember Forbes Phillipson-Masters wasn't he the poshest man in football at the time :farmer:

So between Gow and Taylor years, who? Maybe Rob Newman or Andy Llewelyn if 100%ers are your thing. Do you remember Forbes Phillipson-Masters wasn't he the poshest man in football at the time :farmer:

I liked Rob Newman but he didn't have the leadership qualities of Gow or Taylor despite being club captian. Whenever Taylor or Gow was missing from the teamsheet for whatever reason your heart sank.Not so with Newman.

In my 20+ years of joy and suffering at the Gate there are a few that spring to mind: David Smith, Glynn Riley, Mark Gavin, Carl Shutt, Glen Humphries (PSYCHO!), Gary Shelton, Tinman, Scotty Murray, Jacki, Andy Cole, the list could go on...... it makes you realise how many good players we see despite the overall mediocrity!

There's only one candidate for the top spot for me though - Super Bobby Taylor!!!! Played the game like a fan would and that season in 89/90 when he scored 34 goals in 47 games (two of my lottery numbers!) was the most amazing season by a City player I've ever seen. He was awesome and there's never been anyone who's reached that standard since.

To quote John Mc., you cannot be serious!

I'd go for Gerry Gow, Big Cheese or Super Bob.

I'm sure players like Gow, Taylor, Jackie etc were all quality players how ever they were before my time. Greg Goodridge was my sort of time and was my fav player at the time and apart from Murray and Ivan Testimantanu I haven't liked a player as much since.

Far too much transfer speculation going on at the moment, but with the signings we have made so far (Sproule, McCindoe) and those we haven't (Trundle, Messi, Ronaldinho), gets me thinking of the sort of exciting players we've seen in the past.

As a relatively new poster on here, I don't know if this topic has been raised before, I'm sure it has, but who, for you, is your fave player you've actually witnessed playing for our beloved City.

I started going down the gate in 1987, and some of the 'heroes' since my time supporting are Robbie Newman, Bobby Taylor, Walshy, Super Scotty Murray......the list could go on.

But for me, my all time fave simply had to be Jacki Dzieckanowski. I don't think I'll be priviledge to seeing such a massive talent in a City shirt for a long long time. Yes he was moody, temperamental, bad for the dressing room, a total booze-hound and prone to the odd glassing incident in wine bars, but when that guy strutted his stuff, it was pure magic. I just loved watching him like no other that has gone before or since.

I've had this debate down the pub with mates and we all have a different answer to this (football is a game of opinions of course!).

So who's yours??

Jacki. No doubt.

He wasn't from another country he was from another planet!

I'm sure players like Gow, Taylor, Jackie etc were all quality players how ever they were before my time. Greg Goodridge was my sort of time and was my fav player at the time and apart from Murray and Ivan Testimantanu I haven't liked a player as much since.

I remember old GG; beat three players cut inside and blaze it over the bar. Was exciting though, if he could've finished the sky was the limit

Goodridge had one quality game.....his home debut against Luton. Part from that...toilet.

Agostino, don't get me started, absolute rubbish. Was more interested in how his hair looked and getting a nice deal elsewhere.

I agree with all the Jacki chat, yes a lazy, feno, wino, but the best player we ever had (in our recent history). GIVE THAT MAN AN HONOURY VP for what he did for the club in his short time!!!!!!

John Atyeo in all, 645 appearances for 351 goals. Played for England 6 times. Thats a legend. I grew up watching him, a privalidge.

In defence, Mike Thresher with 415 first team appearances. Best left back I've ever seen. Very fast and if beaten had the speed to get up and chase down opposition players. A true 90 minute football machine.

Jack Boxley a left winger with 213 appearances and 35 goals. An enigma who could cause cheers or screams of anger, never knew what to expect. One day in the 50's, he recieved the ball in our own half, slipped the ball outside the opposition winger, ran inside and collected the ball. He then pulled the same trick on the right midfielder, ball down the touchline whilst he cut in and around and onto the ball. By now we were all on our toes as Jack came up to the fullback, and for a third time slipped the ball outside and ran inside and around to collect the ball. The crowd, Atyeo and company were at feverpitch to finish this spectacular run, Boxley one more touch to the goal line, crosses and yes, its 20 rows back into the crowd.

That summed him up, not my favorite player, just one that could cause strong emotions in the crowd.

Archived