IGNORED

Leave It To Us

redrebel

I am only expecting a load of abuse and it has all been said before but what other club would still be failing so abysmally to get the essential strikers we need to cement our place in the Championship.After 8 years in Div 1 , you would expect most clubs to moving heaven and earth to get someone in and surely if we had been doing that we would have had them by now.It surely can only be the fact that Lansdown is trying to get them on the cheap and failing as he always has.And the latest post by GJ seems to be virtually saying we haven't much hope of anything coming.What a sad day it is when the Chairman won't go the extra mile to get in the players we need.As in a previous post said you wonder how long GJ will put up with this lack of financial backing when we know with the right backing he could make us a real force in this division.

I am only expecting a load of abuse and it has all been said before but what other club would still be failing so abysmally to get the essential strikers we need to cement our place in the Championship.After 8 years in Div 1 , you would expect most clubs to moving heaven and earth to get someone in and surely if we had been doing that we would have had them by now.It surely can only be the fact that Lansdown is trying to get them on the cheap and failing as he always has.And the latest post by GJ seems to be virtually saying we haven't much hope of anything coming.What a sad day it is when the Chairman won't go the extra mile to get in the players we need.As in a previous post said you wonder how long GJ will put up with this lack of financial backing when we know with the right backing he could make us a real force in this division.

Totally agree, perhaps the club will now name the rest of the offers we have out there!

Well RR, i think most of us are wondering when something going to happen, and if nothing happens, most will be upset about it.

I'm gutted that Cardiff are about to take Fowler.

He,s just pasted a medical, and has stated how excited he is about firing Cardiff into the premiership!!!!!

Well, i want a bit of that too!!!!

A few will slate my comment , but have a look over on Cardiff fans forum,s sites. Bloody excited as they possibly be, wonderful capture of a proven striker.

And almost all championship clubs, are strenghtening bigtime.

Can knock GJ for Sproule and Mac, but i hope Gary aint back tracking, and going for it with the current strike force.

Will have to see over the next few days but I'm confident Christie is a NO NO!!!!

I would expect nothing less of SL trying to get players on the cheap, why pay more than you have to? that would be silly.

I have complete faith in SL & GJ to get the players we need in, and even if we don't **** it, i'll still have total faith in them, after all they have got us into the Championship as they promised.

I like being the underdog, and i like that SL has not gone out and thrown money at any old player just for the sake of keeping a few fans happy, he has an obligation to ensure the clubs finances are not put into jepordy. It would have been easy to sign a number of players on stupid wages, but still not a gaurentee of survival at all, so whats the point?

Have faith, be patient, and trust in GJ and SL, and ffs ENJOY our time in the Championship.

Failing abysmally? I don't think so! S****horpe are failing abysmally by selling their two good strikers and not replacing them. We are head and shoulders better than them now! At least we haven't lost anyone, at least the players have had a chance to regroup, reform and improve, and don't underestimate Showumni who will (cliche) be like a new player as he is so early in his career.

Moving heaven and earth? On all accounts how do you know they aren't? It's not quite as simple as you know, and frankly I'm glad Pete and Gary Johnson are at the helm rather than your pessimistic self! Would you rather we paniced now and bought a duff at twice the price? Or took our time, and weighed up the market to go in at the right time? Timing, in a transfer window, is of obvious importance and relevance right now.

I don't beleive our chairman want's us to fail - and we can do so in 2 ways, by being relegated or by going into administration. Paying over the odds will land us in a Leeds scenario, being relegated has it's obvious shortcomings - I have full trust in Lansdown not wanting either to happen! Funnily enough, they're looking for the best option. Not just, an option! Noone likes to get ripped off! Get meh!

I would expect nothing less of SL trying to get players on the cheap, why pay more than you have to? that would be silly.

I have complete faith in SL & GJ to get the players we need in, and even if we don't **** it, i'll still have total faith in them, after all they have got us into the Championship as they promised.

I like being the underdog, and i like that SL has not gone out and thrown money at any old player just for the sake of keeping a few fans happy, he has an obligation to ensure the clubs finances are not put into jepordy. It would have been easy to sign a number of players on stupid wages, but still not a gaurentee of survival at all, so whats the point?

Have faith, be patient, and trust in GJ and SL, and ffs ENJOY our time in the Championship.

I too would expect nothing less of SL trying to get players on the cheap - especially as it's a good job we're paying 30% more to fund that eh?

it's a good job Cotts went for 2 Million then, 'cos we can get loads of cheap/free players in then can't we....errr or not.

Sorry pal, I can't agree - SL and his sexmonkey have wriggled out of a solid commitment to BCFC, hiding behind vague promises of if's and maybe's and how we must be prudent etc etc etc, but where is the DESIRE, the PASSION & DEDICATION that fires the fans up? no just another tiny carrot on the end of a long long stick.

But you're right, best not take a chance, better not risk it all, just look at the other clubs around us (fade to black)

as for getting us into the championship 'they promised' - I'll give that to GJ. SL has made too many c**k ups that he has not been held to account over. he's got a lot more to do to convince me.

On a day when BCFC are likely to get an extra 900K from the Prem hand out, I wait to see what excuses the board will have for not having the money.

(and to clear up in advance - I support the lads week in week out, it's just I don't trust the board. That doesn't make me disloyal or a moaner or a gashead or any of that crap, with age comes greater frustration at the system - kick over the statues!)

I think most fans expect any large fee paid to be spent on a class forward. Lots of good players can be picked up on the cheap (ala McCombe, Fowler, etc).

The management arn't going to publicise every player we're after so as not to draw attention to other clubs. We're a division higher, and looking for players of a class higher, who will still look attractive to Wolves, WBA, Charlton et al.

However, I am also slightly worried with the lack of players we have signed, especially in the forward area, but trust GJ, PJ and SL to find the right players and spend the right amount of money. Apart from loan signings, how many poor players has GJ made? 1 or 2? How many have pulled off? 7 or 8.

I too would expect nothing less of SL trying to get players on the cheap - especially as it's a good job we're paying 30% more to fund that eh?

it's a good job Cotts went for 2 Million then, 'cos we can get loads of cheap/free players in then can't we....errr or not.

Sorry pal, I can't agree - SL and his sexmonkey have wriggled out of a solid commitment to BCFC, hiding behind vague promises of if's and maybe's and how we must be prudent etc etc etc, but where is the DESIRE, the PASSION & DEDICATION that fires the fans up? no just another tiny carrot on the end of a long long stick.

But you're right, best not take a chance, better not risk it all, just look at the other clubs around us (fade to black)

as for getting us into the championship 'they promised' - I'll give that to GJ. SL has made too many c**k ups that he has not been held to account over. he's got a lot more to do to convince me.

On a day when BCFC are likely to get an extra 900K from the Prem hand out, I wait to see what excuses the board will have for not having the money.

(and to clear up in advance - I support the lads week in week out, it's just I don't trust the board. That doesn't make me disloyal or a moaner or a gashead or any of that crap, with age comes greater frustration at the system - kick over the statues!)

Who would be a football chairman, eh?

SL must laugh hystericly when looking at the Clubs finances, hes a man used to dealing in profits, running a football club could not be further from that, unless your Real Madrid, Barca, Milan or ManU.

If you take a financial gamble in football, you'll probably get ****ed for it.

If you don't, the fans will **** you for it.

Your ****ed either way.

The fact is we are bound to sign at least one striker before the season starts because we had possibly the worst strikeforce in the top half of the 1st division so it sure aint good enough for the championship, it is absolutely inconceivable that someone wont be signed its just a matter of who and when

Who would be a football chairman, eh?

SL must laugh hystericly when looking at the Clubs finances, hes a man used to dealing in profits, running a football club could not be further from that, unless your Real Madrid, Barca, Milan or ManU.

If you take a financial gamble in football, you'll probably get ****ed for it.

If you don't, the fans will **** you for it.

Your ****ed either way.

I've said this many times before, but SL is the man in charge of running the club, he has been the financial director for many years before he was chairman, surely he can be held to account for a sustained period of what can only be described as indifferent to poor performances from BCFC Ltd (or whatever we are called now)

For a man with so much financial acumen and 'proven ability' in the investment field do you not think he could have taken more strides in getting inward investment to BCFC by now? My (limited) experience of investors is that they tend to focus on sectors of industry, churn deals at a high rate until there is no more money to be made and move on. The truth is that football is attracting investment right now, so why not City? Perhaps SL needs to come out and say 'I've coughed up for these shares I'm not prepared to let anyone else join in unless I can make a tasty profit' but sustaining the line that SL is doing us all a favour, and without him there would be no BCFC is nonsense. One thing is clear, the longer we accept the ongoing loss making scenario at City, and the more seasons that that debt is transferred into shares by SL through his loans, the more and more control SL has (if we are not there already)

now he certainly doesn't compare to the loonies who have and still do pop up with regular abandon (knightly springs to mind) but I am deeply uncomfortable with one man having so much control with what is in reality, relatively small levels of investment.

Where I a cynic, perhaps I would suggest that it's in the interest of a chairman to lose money in order to manipulate their share ownership in a benificial manner, ready for a potential takeover which might reward such a position handsomely. I stress that this is not the case at Bristol City, but that I am merely painting a hypothetical picture.

SL is a grown up, do you think he is somehow suprised to get flak from the fans? Hey! if he doesn't like it he can always sell up and go.

Failing abysmally? I don't think so! S****horpe are failing abysmally by selling their two good strikers and not replacing them. We are head and shoulders better than them now!

If you're setting your standard that high,then we can't fail-S****horpe :disapointed2se:

At least we haven't lost anyone, at least the players have had a chance to regroup, reform and improve, and don't underestimate Showumni who will (cliche) be like a new player as he is so early in his career.

Do you wonder why Sharp & Keogh were poached and our players haven't been.

Moving heaven and earth? On all accounts how do you know they aren't? It's not quite as simple as you know, and frankly I'm glad Pete and Gary Johnson are at the helm rather than your pessimistic self! Would you rather we paniced now and bought a duff at twice the price? Or took our time, and weighed up the market to go in at the right time? Timing, in a transfer window, is of obvious importance and relevance right now.

The problem is that it is far more likely we'll pay over the odds if we wait longer and the window is closer to shutting.The other point is that our start to the season includes winnable games and if we don't pick up points early doors, the pressure and what you describe as panic, will increase.I'm not sure other clubs are paying over the odds.They could well be paying market rate.

I don't beleive our chairman want's us to fail - and we can do so in 2 ways, by being relegated or by going into administration. Paying over the odds will land us in a Leeds scenario, being relegated has it's obvious shortcomings - I have full trust in Lansdown not wanting either to happen! Funnily enough, they're looking for the best option. Not just, an option! Noone likes to get ripped off! Get meh!

I don't think many people, if any, think that SL wants us to fail-but until we see the fruits of their labour in the form of quality striker signings, doubts will remain and be expressed.After massive price hikes that have raised fans expectations,it's not fair to expect any difference.It's not a lack of confidence.Perhaps it is a lack of blind faith.

I'm hoping that when we do sign a striker, the whole BCFC fanbase will join me in saying "Jeez, I didn't even know HE was available!!!!". Dunno who it might be, but I'm confident that if GJ decides he needs a striker, he'll get his man (eventaully). If he feels we can do a job with the crew we have, I'll back him 'til I drop. Keep those cards close to your chest GJ.......it helps keep the price sane!

I would like to know how we will end up in a leeds situation if we splash out on 1 high priced striker?? Were not talking 50-60 mil on players just maybe 1.5. Work out how our charman is happy to bite the hand off of wigan when paying over the odds for a player but is trying to get quality on the cheap. It isnt going to happen, no way is somebody going to give us a quality striker for cheap!!!

I'm not knocking anybody at the club and don't wish to get insulted by saying this but our charman wants it 1 way when players are leaving and wants it the other way when players are coming in. Everybody knows we are a club new to the championship and are on the look out for a decent striker so want a fair, if not more than fair price for their players. No other club in the country is going to feel sorry for us and give us a striker, nobody but BCFC and its affiliates will care if we get relegated. Only the chairman can make the funds available for us to be able to hold our own in the championship and if he doesnt and we go down then the buck will stop with him. He still has time to get himself out of jail but everyday that passes more and more prospective targets could be snapped up or offered deals by other clubs.

The clock is ticking Mr Lansdown and time is running out!!!

I would like to know how we will end up in a leeds situation if we splash out on 1 high priced striker?? Were not talking 50-60 mil on players just maybe 1.5. Work out how our charman is happy to bite the hand off of wigan when paying over the odds for a player but is trying to get quality on the cheap. It isnt going to happen, no way is somebody going to give us a quality striker for cheap!!!

I'm not knocking anybody at the club and don't wish to get insulted by saying this but our charman wants it 1 way when players are leaving and wants it the other way when players are coming in. Everybody knows we are a club new to the championship and are on the look out for a decent striker so want a fair, if not more than fair price for their players. No other club in the country is going to feel sorry for us and give us a striker, nobody but BCFC and its affiliates will care if we get relegated. Only the chairman can make the funds available for us to be able to hold our own in the championship and if he doesnt and we go down then the buck will stop with him. He still has time to get himself out of jail but everyday that passes more and more prospective targets could be snapped up or offered deals by other clubs.

I've tackled this one before but buying one striker or two for about £3/4m the pair does not equal "Armageddon at Elland Rd 2"

Financial Profligacy & Prudence are two extremes not the only two choices.

i read on bbc tele text that sheffield wednesday have or are about to take patrick klievert on trial, goes to show if your prepared to go that extra mile the impossible can be relised.

Do any of you really, seriously, want overpaid, over the hill saddos like Fowler or Kluivert? You must be mad. When did Robbie Fowler last do anything of value on a football field? Liverpol got shot of him & he's done nothing since. A waste of space.

Do any of you really, seriously, want overpaid, over the hill saddos like Fowler or Kluivert? You must be mad. When did Robbie Fowler last do anything of value on a football field? Liverpol got shot of him & he's done nothing since. A waste of space.

i'm sure he finished second only to crouch as their top scorer for goals/minutes on the pitch last year.

but i agree with your point, it would be better to get someone younger with cheaper wages.

Come on guys you only have to look at Colchester to see if you don't spend big your ######.

We saw posts like this last year why are people in a panic for?

In Gary I trust, has he let us down yet?

I don't think many are saying they don't trust in GJ's ability.What we are saying is Lansdown's failure to back the team strenghthening, will make GJ's job simply too hard to achieve.He performed miracles last year getting up with such a poor strikeforce.But even with the extra money from promotion,premier league handouts and money from the likes of Cotterill,Lita , he still wants to sell the Manager and club short.If this is the sum total of Lansdown's ambition then sell up and let someone in who wants to move the club forward.

The real kick in the teeth is that he's actually dumbed down his worth. He's worth a heck of a lot more than he lets on... believe you me! He could quite easily pump, say, £5m into the club to be made available for transfer fees and I genuinely don't know why he hasn't done that.

If I won £10m on the lottery, I'd give £5m to BCFC myself as I could easily live off the interest and the rest of the winnings for the remainder of mine and my family's life.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with the 'club has to stand on it's own two feet' spiel but you do have to speculate to accumulate to continue to build a football club. Then, and only then, would it be able to stand alone.

I don't think many are saying they don't trust in GJ's ability.What we are saying is Lansdown's failure to back the team strenghthening, will make GJ's job simply too hard to achieve.He performed miracles last year getting up with such a poor strikeforce.But even with the extra money from promotion,premier league handouts and money from the likes of Cotterill,Lita , he still wants to sell the Manager and club short.If this is the sum total of Lansdown's ambition then sell up and let someone in who wants to move the club forward.

Yeah I see what your saying but at the same time I am just letting the pre-season go see where we are in ten games time before I pass judgement.

Some on here already seem to have made up their minds.

Yeah I see what your saying but at the same time I am just letting the pre-season go see where we are in ten games time before I pass judgement.

Some on here already seem to have made up their minds.

We havnt made up our minds as Mr Landsdown might yet listen and decide to splash the cash!!

We are simply stating that if we want to compete in this league we have to bring in quality. GJ doesnt put up the money for the players so how are we not backing him. I want our chairman to back him as not spending the money now can only hurt 1 thing, and that is Bristol City Football Club.

I'm gutted that Cardiff are about to take Fowler.

He,s just pasted a medical, and has stated how excited he is about firing Cardiff into the premiership!!!!!

Well, i want a bit of that too!!!!

A few will slate my comment , but have a look over on Cardiff fans forum,s sites. Bloody excited as they possibly be, wonderful capture of a proven striker.

I am sorry Arn, don't mean to single you out here but this particularly comment caught my eye amongst a lot of others I don't agree with.

What I am wondering is,,, are the Cardiff fans as excited as the majority on here were, when we signed a "proven goalscorer" in Marcus Stewart?

If Fowler scores 20 goals for them this season then I will admit they spent their wages budget wisely, but Mr Risdale is involved so the chances of that are slim to say the least.

What the rest of the people, who moan about the lack of activity really mean is a lack of information. We have no idea how hard the City are trying to get someone and they don't want to tell us.

But I guarantee there will be a negative post about any signing within 10 minutes whether they are "proven" or not.

That is the most sensible thing I have ever heard you say mart. :D and TOTALLY agree with you....for once.

BCAGFC

I am not going to insult you, but I think it is a little naive to believe that one purchase and the subsequent wages paid can be done in isolation. The rest of the squad will know what kind of wages the new guy is on and it will probably be upsetting for them. Let's say that we haven't made an offer of £1m+ for player (no-one knows), and we go ahead and sign one, this then becomes the benchmark for future purchases. Agents, other clubs and our own fans will want us to show that kind of money again.

If you think the club should be held to ransom and pay over the odds for a player, with no guarantee of success then that's fine, personally I don't.

All this panicky "clock is ticking" bolox is just that and it comes back to the club being tight with it's information not it's lack of activity.

I am not going to insult you, but I think it is a little naive to believe that one purchase and the subsequent wages paid can be done in isolation. The rest of the squad will know what kind of wages the new guy is on and it will probably be upsetting for them. Let's say that we haven't made an offer of £1m+ for player (no-one knows), and we go ahead and sign one, this then becomes the benchmark for future purchases. Agents, other clubs and our own fans will want us to show that kind of money again.

If you think the club should be held to ransom and pay over the odds for a player, with no guarantee of success then that's fine, personally I don't.

All this panicky "clock is ticking" bolox is just that and it comes back to the club being tight with it's information not it's lack of activity.

Oh sorry we were not recently trying our hardest to pay a decent amount of money on a 31 year old striker who hasnt played at a higher level before then? I'm sure had he signed he would have been on a pittance then yes. Its more likely he is on a good wage at swansea and would be on a even better one were he to come to ashton gate. Every player at the club is on a different wage as they are not all robots who can perform to the same standard. Any higher profile player who moves to a club has his wages set at what his potential level of performance for the club is. Proffesional football players know this and if they were to complain everytime a player gets paid more money than them then they would be complaining full time.

You wouldnt pay the same price for say a mercedes car as you do for say a ford would you?? you would pay the price relating to quality of the name and product. People are living in a dream world if they think that we can move up a level and get players on cheap fees with cheap wages. Its not going to happen unless we get some unproven player from a lower level.

I would be interested to know who you would like to sign? where would he be coming from and how much wages would he want to step up or down a level?

How are we ever meant to progress as a club if we keep the players, staff, ground,management at the same level??

We tried to get a manager on the cheap in tinnion and look what happened!! in the end we had to splash the cash to get in the man we wanted and then look what happened. I don't hear you all moaning now about how much money we had to spend to get him from another club, why?? because he did what he came here to do. If we paid a good sum for a good striker and he did the business on the pitch then we wouldnt care. Nothing comes easily or cheaply in this world so if we are all happy to sit idly by and watch other clubs to continually pass us by while we always take the safe option then I'm afraid we are always going to be a medioce club who never gives itself the chance to progress onto the bigger stage.

Oh sorry we were not recently trying our hardest to pay a decent amount of money on a 31 year old striker who hasnt played at a higher level before then? I'm sure had he signed he would have been on a pittance then yes. Its more likely he is on a good wage at swansea and would be on a even better one were he to come to ashton gate. Every player at the club is on a different wage as they are not all robots who can perform to the same standard. Any higher profile player who moves to a club has his wages set at what his potential level of performance for the club is. Proffesional football players know this and if they were to complain everytime a player gets paid more money than them then they would be complaining full time.

You wouldnt pay the same price for say a mercedes car as you do for say a ford would you?? you would pay the price relating to quality of the name and product. People are living in a dream world if they think that we can move up a level and get players on cheap fees with cheap wages. Its not going to happen unless we get some unproven player from a lower level.

I would be interested to know who you would like to sign? where would he be coming from and how much wages would he want to step up or down a level?

How are we ever meant to progress as a club if we keep the players, staff, ground,management at the same level??

We tried to get a manager on the cheap in tinnion and look what happened!! in the end we had to splash the cash to get in the man we wanted and then look what happened. I don't hear you all moaning now about how much money we had to spend to get him from another club, why?? because he did what he came here to do. If we paid a good sum for a good striker and he did the business on the pitch then we wouldnt care. Nothing comes easily or cheaply in this world so if we are all happy to sit idly by and watch other clubs to continually pass us by while we always take the safe option then I'm afraid we are always going to be a medioce club who never gives itself the chance to progress onto the bigger stage.

Well you can't have it both ways, you complain about the lack of money being spent and then moan about the money we were prepared to pay for Trundle. IF we paid good money and IF he was successful of course we would all be happy. The biggest two letter word in the English language isn't it?

I have no idea who we sign, I don't suggest signings, I don't comment on players until I have seen them play, live, for us. I don't care about that sort of speculation, what I do care about is whether I trust the manager to sign players that can do the job without bankrupting the club. I lived through 1982 and I don't really want to see it repeated in 2012.

But once again, it's ALL speculation, who knows what we have offered for whom, and who we are waiting on replies from? Nobody knows (apart from maybe Yessir) so why make the negative assumption every time?

Archived