IGNORED

We'll Support You Evermore

Bristol Boy

I posted this as a reply originally

If SL's even considerng what happens if we don't at least stay in the CCC.

76/77 Home Stoke 25,316 1st Home Game in Prem

79/80 still in the Prem, we got relegated Apr 22nd Boro Home 10,837.........and we won 3-1!!

80/81 we got relegated Apr 25th we drew with Shrewsbury in front of........5,698!!

81/82 we got relegated (Is a pattern emerging here?? )May 15th we beat Chester........3,934 "packed" the gate that day.

82/83 and the conference beckoned-We arrested our fall from grace finsihed 14th in the 4th Div and on May 7th 4,700 saw us beat Crewe with two goals from Rob Newman.

When people talk about the fact we may fail, this really brings home the potential cost of that.Simply put failure isn't an option!!

79/80 still in the Prem, we got relegated Apr 22nd Boro Home 10,837.........and we won 3-1!!

80/81 we got relegated Apr 25th we drew with Shrewsbury in front of........5,698!!

81/82 we got relegated (Is a pattern emerging here?? )May 15th we beat Chester........3,934 "packed" the gate that day.

82/83 and the conference beckoned-We arrested our fall from grace finsihed 14th in the 4th Div and on May 7th 4,700 saw us beat Crewe with two goals from Rob Newman.

When people talk about the fact we may fail, this really brings home the potential cost of that.Simply put failure isn't an option!!

Your right, I was there thro' those years, and they were grim. We have a g8 opportunity now, let's not blow it, invest for the future!

Remember it like yesterday Ian....was a nightmare!

We must make sure that Championship football ismaintained at all costs

Guest ashtonyate

I will tell you what the club had a better fill to it when Scott Davidson was Chairman there was a buzz about the place not like now

I will tell you what the club had a better fill to it when Scott Davidson was Chairman there was a buzz about the place not like now

Agree, but that could change in a instance!

The right player signs, the fans will be full of it.

I'm 100% confident something is going to happen, and happen soon.

It simply has to!

yeah, look what happened with that! Most fans are still buzzing since promotion. And although many want a striker, we are prepared to wait and bide our time. The club have said they are working on things behind the scenes, lets just give them time to sort things out. If the season kicks off and we're still playing with the same squad of players with no additions, then that's the time to voice your concerns mate.

yeah, look what happened with that! Most fans are still buzzing since promotion. And although many want a striker, we are prepared to wait and bide our time. The club have said they are working on things behind the scenes, lets just give them time to sort things out. If the season kicks off and we're still playing with the same squad of players with no additions, then that's the time to voice your concerns mate.

Ok matey, that's exactly what GJ said, but it doesn't stop me feeling concerned.

Time will tell, and not too long for that.

Initially that was true and I like Scott however after the excitement of promotion came failure, poor manegerial appts and eight years in the wilderness.We can't do that again.

Oh behave, cherry picking figures from when football was on its needs. Yeah that'll convince.

The 80's were different times and you know it, both in the type of support and its afflunce. Don't come over all smug with meabout not getting it.

What IS your point in this topic by the way? Fans will suddenly dissapear over night if we go down? We'd lose what we gained, simple as. Thank god you were here to point out the bleeding obvious.

Oh behave, cherry picking figures from when football was on its needs. Yeah that'll convince.

I don't remember Man Utd & Liverpool on their knees, even when Man Utd were relegated!

The 80's were different times and you know it, both in the type of support and its afflunce. Don't come over all smug with meabout not getting it.

You said you didn't get it, not me

What IS your point in this topic by the way? Fans will suddenly dissapear over night if we go down? We'd lose what we gained, simple as. Thank god you were here to point out the bleeding obvious.

As I said, it was originally a reply about "loyalty" in another thread-The point is that this season could be judged as a make of break season in more ways than one.When people talk about Trundles value and better players being available etc, etc, they should also consider what happened last time we were here.And before someone talks about the strikers we bought, they were fine, it was the lack of a replacement for Sean Taylor that saw us fail-This season the priority is a striker, probably two and I dread to think how tough things will get if we make a monze of it this time with the amount of complaints about ticket prices etc that have been made pre-season.

We need to sieze the day and invest in the right players to enable us to have a real go NOW that we have the opportunity.I hope SL does the business and people don't walk away in droves again

me too arnie, real dark days.

like you say , championship football must be maintained at the gate at all costs.

if that means paying good money for trundle, go get him.....

And how anyone doesn't get the point is beyond me, sp perhaps we've got that in common?

Surely the point is that the board leading up to that time tried to live beyond their means, thats what caused the financial collapse. Food for thought maybe......?

Never thought I'd say it, but I'm agreeing with AY. Davidson wasn't wrong in getting his chequebook out. He realised we needed to strengthen and backed the club with money despite the fact he had a lot less than SL has at his disposal!

I think the wheels fell off because there were something like 8 board members at the time who all wanted to pull the club in different directions. Harldy a stable environment to continue the progress. If it was, who knows where we'd be know...

Anyone remember Pompey away that year :yawn:

Surely the point is that the board leading up to that time tried to live beyond their means, thats what caused the financial collapse. Food for thought maybe......?

We had an inexperienced Chairman & Manager which is a dodgy combination at any level.The problem wasn't as much the amount of money but how it was spent and the contract terms.

We didn't do ourselves any favours by wasting £400k on Steve Jones, then buying Mortimer, Holland, Dyche,Mercer under Pulis either........and the list goes on.

Guest ashtonyate
We had an inexperienced Chairman & Manager which is a dodgy combination at any level.The problem wasn't as much the amount of money but how it was spent and the contract terms.

We didn't do ourselves any favours by wasting £400k on Steve Jones, then buying Mortimer, Holland, Dyche,Mercer under Pulis either........and the list goes on.

The reason we went for them players was we we were looking for a bargain like now and bought trouble buy quality it pays in the end

Yep, but that latter stuff was post Scott D in the Laycock/Lansdown era, when the mistakes made were little better, appointing the evil Pulis (and Lindsay Parsons!!!) at all, for instance.

I can't be the only one to see the likely connection between the increase in money being doled out by the Prem this week (£900k more for us as opposed to £130k for the blue few) and a sudden increase in the Trundle bid, someone may have finally seen the connection here.........

Sorry I thought you were talking about the lead up to 1982, not the Davidson era. The board we had then weren't that inexperienced, just jealous of the money they saw lavished around other clubs boardrooms.

Yep, but that latter stuff was post Scott D in the Laycock/Lansdown era, when the mistakes made were little better, appointing the evil Pulis (and Lindsay Parsons!!!) at all, for instance.

I can't be the only one to see the likely connection between the increase in money being doled out by the Prem this week (£900k more for us as opposed to £130k for the blue few) and a sudden increase in the Trundle bid, someone may have finally seen the connection here.........

There is no doubt that football's gone mad and there is little or no alternative to paying the market rate.Nugent's never played above CCC scored 15 goals last year and moved for £5m-Kamara £6m to Fulham-Chopra £5m-Sharp £2m after two good seasons in League One?

£1m in light of those moves may seem a snip to some?

There is no doubt that football's gone mad and there is little or no alternative to paying the market rate.Nugent's never played above CCC scored 15 goals last year and moved for £5m-Kamara £6m to Fulham-Chopra £5m-Sharp £2m after two good seasons in League One?

£1m in light of those moves may seem a snip to some?

That sword cuts both ways.

If we were to push the boat out a bit more and buy a younger player like Riordan, Henderson, Naismith or the others mentioned - then the chances are reasonable that we would have a player worth £5m after a season.

We've been told that our playing staff budget is expected to double in the Championship - not all at once granted but I'd bet we're looking at well over £1m a year more in just the first season and we were already making 7 figure losses. There's some extra revenue from TV and this new gift from the franchise but it probably won't cover the increased expenditure. So... what if the worst happens?

That newly increased wage bill won't drop a division if the club are unfortunate enough to. Remember that last time we went up Akinbiyi scored 20+ goals but we still got relegated. If we hadn't sold him for £3.5m we could easily have ended up in administration. With a 30+ year old there's no potential safety net like that. It's a big gamble, eggs in one basket type situation to me.

Trundle is a good player, entertaining with flair and creativity and can score out of nothing. I'm sure if he signs I'll enjoy watching him. I'm just not convinced that the it's the best way to spend. I think if we spent a bit more on a younger player we would be looking at a less risky situation.

That sword cuts both ways.

If we were to push the boat out a bit more and buy a younger player like Riordan, Henderson, Naismith or the others mentioned - then the chances are reasonable that we would have a player worth £5m after a season.

We've been told that our playing staff budget is expected to double in the Championship - not all at once granted but I'd bet we're looking at well over £1m a year more in just the first season and we were already making 7 figure losses. There's some extra revenue from TV and this new gift from the franchise but it probably won't cover the increased expenditure. So... what if the worst happens?

That newly increased wage bill won't drop a division if the club are unfortunate enough to. Remember that last time we went up Akinbiyi scored 20+ goals but we still got relegated. If we hadn't sold him for £3.5m we could easily have ended up in administration. With a 30+ year old there's no potential safety net like that. It's a big gamble, eggs in one basket type situation to me.

Trundle is a good player, entertaining with flair and creativity and can score out of nothing. I'm sure if he signs I'll enjoy watching him. I'm just not convinced that the it's the best way to spend. I think if we spent a bit more on a younger player we would be looking at a less risky situation.

Completely agree Nibor, spending a bit more on a younger player makes more sense to me, even if we didn't get all our money back in 3 years time, at least there is a re-sale value.

Completely agree Nibor, spending a bit more on a younger player makes more sense to me, even if we didn't get all our money back in 3 years time, at least there is a re-sale value.

Yes, like Reading did - as a championship club - picking up Lita for £1M, we seemed happy enough with the £1M at the time but here we are looking to pay the same amount for a player who might give us 2 seasons and be on a free (League rules are over 33 years old = free transfer doesn't it?) at the end of it, or retiring.

Landsdown said that we had to get into the Championship and start doing to others what Reading did to us but clearly the market has moved on in the last 2 years. The parallel to the Lita deal would have been for us to pick up the best up and coming League 1 talent but clearly those type of players (Sharp, Varney,Eastwood, McLeod) are now beyond the amount we are willing to pay, and certainly way above the £1M we got for Lita. Steve Coppell must rate that deal as one of the best ever, the guys scoring in the Prem, his value must be now £10M & will only increase if he gets a full England cap.

£1M for Trundle is probably about right, any less and we've done well. Looking at the other CCC clubs dealings there are either low budget players at around £300K (Platt, Odejayii,Nardiello) - would we want them? Or gambles like Burnley paying £250K on Beirisha - 21 yr old Albanian unwanted by Hamburg, could be good - could be carp, or the big buys like Sharp etc where we couldn't compete. Preston did ok with Hawley on a free but he's untried at this level.

Clearly Naismith is the better deal - Killie have turned down £1.5M and want £2M, I think we would go close to that but he doesn't want to come and that's surely the end of it despite what the EP are saying. It does show there's better value in the SPL if you can find a player that is not wanted by the Old Firm.

The big mystery for me is Pospisil. He's younger, good scoring record, reportedly available at much less than Trundle, GJ rated him, and the player was ok with a move to the Championship. So what changed ??

CodeRed

Over 23 at the end of the season and out of contract = free transfer.

Killie are reported to want £1.5m for Naismith and turned down £1.3m from Rangers. Frankly he's almost certain to end up at Rangers, that's where he wants to go and when a player wants to move his club can rarely stop him. We're just seeing brinkmanship over the fee.

I'm slightly disappointed that the scouting doesn't seem to have picked up any good european strikers, that's the only place we're going to get value for money after players like Varney, Sharp and Eastwood have gone.

The only other young goalscorers in league one/two I can think of are Maynard and Mcleod. I'm sure our money would be a less risky investment spend on one of those.

not wishing to be pedantic but if i remember correctly the top flight of football was called the first division when we were there bristol boy if you wanna talk history do it in the right context i hate these post 1992 fans that only know the top flight as the "prem" we were a first division club we had bad management and bad decisions were made it has happend twice maybe just maybe we are 3rd time lucky with a level headed board and a good tactical manager that does not want to bust the club by other clubs holding us to ransom because we have been promoted have faith and trust whoi thought we were going to be here 2 yrs ago when the "magnificent seven" arrived from all over when tinman took charge we are in the second tier of football enjoy it don't over analyse it its not worth it find something to do with your summer or what we have of one anyway

Who ? Pospisil

is that why the reported fee they wanted (last time) was so low?

CodeRed

Any player under contract commands a fee regardless of age I think? Unless there's a rule where at a certain age they can move on for free even under contract?

Pospisil was under contract but out of favour which probably explains why they weren't asking a huge amount for him - Hearts have about 40 first team players!

What I meant with Trundle is that no club will pay a fee for him after us whether he's under contract or not due to his age so we're effectively writing that money off whereas with a younger player we'd have a decent change of getting some, all or more of it back.

Any player under contract commands a fee regardless of age I think? Unless there's a rule where at a certain age they can move on for free even under contract?

Pospisil was under contract but out of favour which probably explains why they weren't asking a huge amount for him - Hearts have about 40 first team players!

What I meant with Trundle is that no club will pay a fee for him after us whether he's under contract or not due to his age so we're effectively writing that money off whereas with a younger player we'd have a decent change of getting some, all or more of it back.

I see - you meant Trundle , yes I know - believe under league rules that when a player reaches 33 that entitles him to a free transfer when his contract ends. so even on a 2 year deal he will be 33 when it ends and thus a "free".

As I posted earlier

Trundle costs you money

Naismith (or similar) MAKES you money

Shows we are desparate to get someone (anyone?) in

CodeRed

1979-1983 also saw Bristol and Bristol City FC hit by a massive Margaret Thatcher Tory toff/snob idiot inspired recession.

Business failures and massive unemployment rates hit the BCFC supporting South Bristol heartlands very hard. There were quite a few City supporters that had to give up watching City regularly - not because of our lower league status but simply because they couldn't afford it. No job - no money - thank you Thatcher you Tory cow - Moooooooo.

Thatcher and her Tory cronies would live out the rest of their days in prison cells if I had my way. The industrial and economic sabotage inflicted on the people of Bristol by Thatcher and her Tory toff/snob cronies should not go unpunished.

Archived