IGNORED

It's All About Timing......isn't It?

Bristol Boy

Leaving aside the "will he, won't he" aspects of the you know who deal/no deal. Why have we waited so long to make an offer? We've been talking for about two weeks according to information eminating from Swansea's end-None from ours, as usual and none from LT's.Swansea seem the only party willing to comment.

We knew that we needed two strikers in May........actually well before that, but we'll not go there.

So why start talking about you know who two weeks ago-Why not start talking in May, because if he says no at that point we have time and more alternatives?

Come Saturday we are 14 days away from our first CCC game-Two weeks and we might need to sign TWO quality strikers in that time.

Other clubs have been signing strikers for weeks and I can't see clubs desperately trying to offload strikers.If anything the prices seem to be going up.

Leaving aside the "will he, won't he" aspects of the you know who deal/no deal. Why have we waited so long to make an offer? We've been talking for about two weeks according to information eminating from Swansea's end-None from ours, as usual and none from LT's.Swansea seem the only party willing to comment.

We knew that we needed two strikers in May........actually well before that, but we'll not go there.

So why start talking about you know who two weeks ago-Why not start talking in May, because if he says no at that point we have time and more alternatives?

Come Saturday we are 14 days away from our first CCC game-Two weeks and we might need to sign TWO quality strikers in that time.

Other clubs have been signing strikers for weeks and I can't see clubs desperately trying to offload strikers.If anything the prices seem to be going up.

cant believe gary doesnt realise how simple this is :10_1_108:

How do you know when they started talking?

Its been left very late if City are to sign anyone before 11th August. If for whatever reason Trundle doesnt arrive at City the it seems that City will going into the new season with the same strikers as last season.As there is doubt bout Brookers fitness City could be forced to play one up front - Showumni.

Some doubt to about Nobles fitness as well and if he is out then City could be in dire straights.

I just cant fathom why the Trundle deal is taking so long to sort out. From Trundles perpective a move to the Championship must be attractive especially as his age is against him. Not only would there be the financial benefits but the pull and kudos of being a Championship player must be great for a player whose spent his career in the lower leagues. No other club ( as far as we know) are after him so its not as if there is a bidding war going on.

It must about be about the transfer fee and its all the haggling is taking up so much time.Problem is I hope that Trundle isnt the only "egg in the basket" as if it all falls through and no-one else comes in there will be a lot of disenchanted fans at AG on August 11th - especially after the ST increase.

:redcard:

BB - perhaps we left it until now and not May due to him not being first second third fourth fifth sixth tenth choice - perhaps we didnt get the No I don't want to come to BCFC by the higher priority targets until a couple of weeks ago - you know agents keeping their players options open until they know there are no more offers coming in.

If they don't make a striker signing before August - do you question the efforts made by GJ and SL in this matter or accept that with the extra cash coming into the game that players/agents can pick and choose where they want to go.

Dear oh dear - strikes me this is more about the fact that a few people who have had 'inside info' in the past are feeling a bit sour about not knowing that is going on behind the scenes this time around and are drawing their own negative conclusions as a result.

BB - Leaving aside the "will he, won't he" aspects of the you know who deal/no deal. Why have we waited so long to make an offer? We've been talking for about two weeks according to information eminating from Swansea's end-None from ours, as usual and none from LT's.Swansea seem the only party willing to comment.

Before I pull this apart, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you are making an observation rather than passing a critical judgement. Put me straight though, just in case - are you suggesting that the discretion that BCFC and LT have exercised is in any way anegative thing?

BB - We knew that we needed two strikers in May........actually well before that, but we'll not go there.

Erm, you just have...

BB - So why start talking about you know who two weeks ago-Why not start talking in May, because if he says no at that point we have time and more alternatives?

Do you know for a fact that we haven't been speaking to other clubs/strikers in the meanwhile and that we haven't reached the end of those roads casuig us to turn our attentions to LT 2 weeks ago? (No need to answer, the question is rhetorical). There may be any number of reasons what getting this far with LT has taken until now. Maybe GJ wanted to run the rule over some trilaists and opposition players in Latvia first, maybe he's had his advances for 6 different other players spurned at the 11th hour, maybe LT wasn't available before but has recently had a falling out with somebody at Swansea that is being kept quiet. The point is, nobody knows - and that includes you.

Do you think that GJ and SL sat round a table in April and said "Right, LT is the top of our list but we'll wait til mid-July before doing anything about it."? Essentially you are passing judgement and condemning actions despite not being in possession of all the facts and you are still expecting people to take you seriously. The mind boggles.

BB - Come Saturday we are 14 days away from our first CCC game-Two weeks and we might need to sign TWO quality strikers in that time.

Tell me what the club should have done, that you know for a fact that they haven't done, to avoid being in this position.

BB - Other clubs have been signing strikers for weeks and I can't see clubs desperately trying to offload strikers.

Well, good for them. Other clubs haven't signed any strikers at all. We will sign players when everything falls into place. Once again, do you know for a fact that we haven't been actively pursuing players behind the scenes for a couple of months?

As for your comment about clubs depserately trying to offload strikers, I'm sure you and a few others might have something to say if we signed someone who another club was desperately trying to unload them. Either way, as ever, the club can't win.

BB - If anything the prices seem to be going up.

Would you care to show me a single jot of evidence on which you are basing that utterly proposterous claim? Or is it just another bit of sour propoganda borne out of AG not being as 'leaky' as it used to be?

RR - Its been left very late if City are to sign anyone before 11th August. If for whatever reason Trundle doesnt arrive at City the it seems that City will going into the new season with the same strikers as last season.

Does it? Or is it just that you, too, don't know what negotiations are taking place with prospective signings? It is complete speculation on your part - speculation with a negative slant because the fact that you know nothing leads you to draw conclusions that nothing is going on.

RR - As there is doubt bout Brookers fitness City could be forced to play one up front - Showumni.

Murray has played up front in pre-season - maybe GJ is going to move him there permanently. Sproule can play as a striker. Plus we have Jevons, JMW and even Plummer who, for all you or I know, could be the next LL.

RR - Some doubt to about Nobles fitness as well and if he is out then City could be in dire straights.

Then again, we might not be - why let that get in the way of a bit of negativity, though?

RR - I just cant fathom why the Trundle deal is taking so long to sort out.

Of course you can't fathom why - that's because you don't know why. Do you not think that the club are trying to make things happen as quickly as possible? Maybe you think ther are sitting in the boardroom and saying "Right, we've faxed that bid off - let's hit the golf course for a week and see what has happend when we get back. That ought to get everyone suitably agitated - just the way we like it."

RR - From Trundles perpective a move to the Championship must be attractive especially as his age is against him. Not only would there be the financial benefits but the pull and kudos of being a Championship player must be great for a player whose spent his career in the lower leagues. No other club ( as far as we know) are after him so its not as if there is a bidding war going on.

Again - something else that you aren't in possession of the facts about. I happen to have been made aware of another CCC club who expressed an interest in him around the same time as us. I've no idea if they pursued that interest but you have no idea if there has been a bidding war. The simple truth is that you have no idea why it has taken this long so all of this speculation is, quite frankly, a load of old twaddle.

RR - It must about be about the transfer fee and its all the haggling is taking up so much time.

Must it? Do you know that or are you just speculating again? I'm starting to detect a theme here.

And besides, if we are haggling, are you suggesting that that is such a bad thing? If haggling delays the transfer by, say, a week but saves £150k (the equivalent of the revenue generated by the sales of ~400 STs), are you really going to try to argue that that is a bad thing?

RR - Problem is I hope that Trundle isnt the only "egg in the basket" as if it all falls through and no-one else comes in there will be a lot of disenchanted fans at AG on August 11th - especially after the ST increase.

At the risk of repeating myself again, you simply don't know. AG isn't the sieve it once was and some people are going to have to learn to come to terms with that. Personally, I say well do to those who walk the corridors of power as it makes it all rather amusing for the likes of me to see the previously well-connected getting all uppity.

cant believe gary doesnt realise how simple this is :10_1_108:

I can't believe we haven't signed a striker yet

How do you know when they started talking?

I don't.That's why I said, according to Swansea

How on earth do you know when the first contact was made re LT?

See above.

How do you know we weren't knocked back on other strikers before the offer was made for LT?

According to GJ about two/three weeks ago-We hadn't lost any of our targets

BB - perhaps we left it until now and not May due to him not being first second third fourth fifth sixth tenth choice

Not according to GJ.See above

you know agents keeping their players options open until they know there are no more offers coming in.

Don't just believe the spin.Presumably Best, Sharp etc all had agents and their players have all signed for new clubs.Why didn't they hold on until the last minute

If they don't make a striker signing before August - do you question the efforts made by GJ and SL in this matter or accept that with the extra cash coming into the game that players/agents can pick and choose where they want to go.

We have had news of a windfall this very week and welcome it is, as well.We have increased prices by 30/40% all on the basis that we need to do that to compete.If we don't make at least one, if not two signings, before Aug 11th we'll be lining up against QPR without Brooker & Noble and, very likely, ES & PJ up front and at that point, no, I won't be happy.

Dear oh dear - strikes me this is more about the fact that a few people who have had 'inside info' in the past are feeling a bit sour about not knowing that is going on behind the scenes this time around and are drawing their own negative conclusions as a result.

Actually I have lots of "inside info" that I have chosen not to share.So have others on this Forum.Much information is shared privately amongst members who have built up confidentiality & trust over the years.

Before I pull this apart,

Like you could

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt

Gee thanks

and assume that you are making an observation rather than passing a critical judgement. Put me straight though, just in case - are you suggesting that the discretion that BCFC and LT have exercised is in any way anegative thing?

Oh I'm scared now.Look, that is an observation and, these days, it's unusual for three parties to be talking and all the announcements/comments coming from only one side.If the club policy is to make no comment until we've signed someone, fine, but Swansea's utterances have placed the matter in the public domain.

Erm, you just have...

Erm, don't you think we did then and the comment meant that I haven't expanded on it, here

Do you know for a fact that we haven't been speaking to other clubs/strikers in the meanwhile and that we haven't reached the end of those roads casuig us to turn our attentions to LT 2 weeks ago?

Well, according to GJ,up to around 2/3 weeks ago we "hadn't lost any of our targets"-So, if we've been talking to Swansea/made bids (according to the Media and Swansea, if that's OK with you) for around 2 weeks we must have had a lot of bids knocked back quick.

(No need to answer, the question is rhetorical).

Thought I'd clarify the point for you out of sheer kindness

There may be any number of reasons what getting this far with LT has taken until now. Maybe GJ wanted to run the rule over some trilaists and opposition players in Latvia first, maybe he's had his advances for 6 different other players spurned at the 11th hour, maybe LT wasn't available before but has recently had a falling out with somebody at Swansea that is being kept quiet. The point is, nobody knows - and that includes you.

OK-Let's examine what you say on the basis of probablity.After having all last season and knowing which Div we have been in since May-Having heard about "lists as long as your arm" we took TWO, players to Latvia on trial-Two refused (I know that).The ones we took, by every account I've heard, official or otherwise, were crap.To be kind, they were no better than we've already got-That's not inspiring me.

I doubt if GJ had six, four or even two advances spurned in such a short timeframe on the basis that you'd be a bit stuffed if all 4/6 said yes and you can't approach target 4 until 1-3 decline! There is also the consideration that if he had that many targets lined up who said no that quick, were they unrealistic in the first place or was the targetting not researched properly??

If one looks at what's happened surrounding LT and the silence from his camp, he hasn't dismissed the move (Why meet GJ at all if he had not wanted to leave Swansea for BCFC in any event) it would appear that he is now being reported (By Welsh & English Media) to be handing in a transfer request.It would appear to me that Swansea didn't think we'd meet their asking price and when we did it may have triggered a clause in his contract wherby permission had to be granted-Like you say, who knows, but we can all speculate and we can all monitor the result.If that's not the case, why was permission granted for City to talk to an under contract player, unless a bid had been accepted?

Do you think that GJ and SL sat round a table in April and said "Right, LT is the top of our list but we'll wait til mid-July before doing anything about it."?

GJ said at the start of pre-season that "not much would happen until July when pre-season training started and players reported back.That is also when players contracts have officialy expired,so you may be right.

I think that they were both surprised by Price, Wages & Transfer Activity.I think that they thought they'd get Luke Varney for £750k, for example.It has become clear that strikers are in high demand and proven or even promising ones were snapped up.If all this stuff about players and agents holding out is 100% correct why were Varney, Cureton, Iwelumo & Best all off the market weeks or even months ago?? Even players like Clive Platt who couldn't tie Trundles shoes as a footballer??/b]

Essentially you are passing judgement and condemning actions despite not being in possession of all the facts and you are still expecting people to take you seriously. The mind boggles.

Your mind boggles, maybe.It's a posting on a Forum, not the front page of The Telegraph

Tell me what the club should have done, that you know for a fact that they haven't done, to avoid being in this position.

I would have liked us to emulate clubs such as Leicester & Wolves and signed two strikers.Colchester have also signed two ex Premeiership players.No parachute payments there.Rather than ponse around with clauses that were laughed at-Why not do what Reading & Wigan did to concentrate our minds and offer a good cash amount, Now.Before you tow the party line and start mithering about not affording it, SL could buy any two strikers in this Division by simply writing a cheque-I'm not saying he should, I'm saying he could

Well, good for them.

Or bad for us, perhaps

Other clubs haven't signed any strikers at all. We will sign players when everything falls into place. Once again, do you know for a fact that we haven't been actively pursuing players behind the scenes for a couple of months?

The point is, we haven't signed anyone-You can pursue the purchase of a car all you like, you can't drive one until you have it. And if you're desperate then watch the price go up

As for your comment about clubs depserately trying to offload strikers, I'm sure you and a few others might have something to say if we signed someone who another club was desperately trying to unload them. Either way, as ever, the club can't win.

You miss the point-Clubs aren't lining up to flog their strikers at a pittance.The ones that were available even at a price some have considered unrealsitic (GJ on Varney) are gone

Would you care to show me a single jot of evidence on which you are basing that utterly proposterous claim?

Yes.There's this bloke at Swansea called Trundle, who's names been mentioned on and off.We bid what the manager advised and, no doubt what the Chairman agreed he was worth and it was knocked back-Then we repeated that three times before giving them about 3 to 4 times as much as our initial offer.Satisfied?

Or is it just another bit of sour propoganda borne out of AG not being as 'leaky' as it used to be?

I can't help it if you've got an inferiority complex or don't consider yourself part of some imaginary inner circle of people in the know.AG will always be leaky as will all deals in football because they don't begin and end at one club.There are two clubs, a player, an agent or two, sometimes three and various interested parties.I assure you that there has been plenty I and others have heard that we have chosen to keep to ourselves.Believe it or believe it not, I don't care but 99% of what I hear comes from nowhere near AG and never has.

RR - Its been left very late if City are to sign anyone before 11th August. If for whatever reason Trundle doesnt arrive at City the it seems that City will going into the new season with the same strikers as last season.

Does it? Or is it just that you, too, don't know what negotiations are taking place with prospective signings? It is complete speculation on your part - speculation with a negative slant because the fact that you know nothing leads you to draw conclusions that nothing is going on.

I know this isn't addressed to me but I may as well pass some comment as you're so irritable.The above is a factually correct observation.It has been left very late, it still isn't done and if Trundle doesn't sign, then we've got two weeks to sign two quality strikers when we haven't been able to sign one in about three months.Now,as a paid up member of the BFP that won't worry you.It worries me & RR.

RR - As there is doubt bout Brookers fitness City could be forced to play one up front - Showumni.

Murray has played up front in pre-season - maybe GJ is going to move him there permanently.

BB Christ, I hope not-That does smack of desperation.I've seen that tried about thirty times and it worked once.

Sproule can play as a striker.

BB Of course he can-So can Murray & McIndoe-but they're wingers really.

Plus we have Jevons, JMW and even Plummer who, for all you or I know, could be the next LL.

BB Or the next Marvin Brown-Like you say, we don't know about TP but JMW hasn't sparkled and Jevons will be off if two strikers come in.That's just my opinion nobodys told me anything or leaked it, OK?

RR - Some doubt to about Nobles fitness as well and if he is out then City could be in dire straights.

Then again, we might not be - why let that get in the way of a bit of negativity, though?

BB Noble, playing in the position just off the striker or in the hole as some call it, is a player for whom we currently have no natural replacement.That's critical because it prevents us playing a formation that suited us well towards the end of last season.Let's hope both players are fit because we need them fit & firing.According to comments attributed to GJ in the EP, they're unlikely to face QPR, so that's your best formation based on last season and your best striker (currently, when fit) out before a ball's kicked.

RR - I just cant fathom why the Trundle deal is taking so long to sort out.

Of course you can't fathom why - that's because you don't know why. Do you not think that the club are trying to make things happen as quickly as possible? Maybe you think ther are sitting in the boardroom and saying "Right, we've faxed that bid off - let's hit the golf course for a week and see what has happend when we get back. That ought to get everyone suitably agitated - just the way we like it."

BB From initial offer (according to Swansea) we're at week 3 or 4. :disapointed2se:

RR - From Trundles perpective a move to the Championship must be attractive especially as his age is against him. Not only would there be the financial benefits but the pull and kudos of being a Championship player must be great for a player whose spent his career in the lower leagues. No other club ( as far as we know) are after him so its not as if there is a bidding war going on.

Again - something else that you aren't in possession of the facts about. I happen to have been made aware of another CCC club who expressed an interest in him around the same time as us.

BB That's outrageous how dare you? Who's leaked that.Source, damn it sir, Source :D Look, if everyone waited until we were all in full possesion of unequivocal evidence, this forum.......and most newspapers, would be empty

I've no idea if they pursued that interest but you have no idea if there has been a bidding war. The simple truth is that you have no idea why it has taken this long so all of this speculation is, quite frankly, a load of old twaddle.

Got you all excited though mate, hasn't it and didn't you say you'd been told another club was in so there could well be a bidding war, maybe RR's right?

RR - It must about be about the transfer fee and its all the haggling is taking up so much time.

Must it? Do you know that or are you just speculating again? I'm starting to detect a theme here.

**** me, so am I.Right, that's it, speculation's banned-That's Fleet St *****ed for a start

And besides, if we are haggling, are you suggesting that that is such a bad thing? If haggling delays the transfer by, say, a week but saves £150k (the equivalent of the revenue generated by the sales of ~400 STs), are you really going to try to argue that that is a bad thing?

BB Ah, but how many extra ST's would we have sold if we gone in like Whelan & Majdeski did for LL & DC and got our targets weeks ago?If we lose out to another club who've been alerted by our delay in closing this deal then wht price your imaginary £150k then??

RR - Problem is I hope that Trundle isnt the only "egg in the basket" as if it all falls through and no-one else comes in there will be a lot of disenchanted fans at AG on August 11th - especially after the ST increase.

At the risk of repeating myself again,

BB Never bothered you before :whistle2:

you simply don't know.

BB And neither do you.I do know we haven't signed a striker since Aug 2006 and we reallly need 1/2

AG isn't the sieve it once was

BB You've really got a bee in your bonnet about that haven't you?

and some people are going to have to learn to come to terms with that.

BB Not you, clearly :innocent06:

Personally, I say well do to those who walk the corridors of power

BB It's Ashton Gate not the Kremlin :disapointed2se:

as it makes it all rather amusing for the likes of me to see the previously well-connected getting all uppity.

BB I quite agree, as long as you're not getting uppity about it :rolleyes:

Actually I have lots of "inside info" that I have chosen not to share.So have others on this Forum.Much information is shared privately amongst members who have built up confidentiality & trust over the years.

So, you have lots of inside info that you have chosen not to share but you share inside info with members of the forum. Hmmm, curious.

The reality is that you don't have inside info at all. You are part of a cliquey group of wannabes who share gossip which is sometimes right and sometimes wrong.

And, of course, it is all in the strictest confidence. Well, except that it actually works something like this:

Person B hears a rumour from person A and is told to keep it to himself. Person B can't help but let his loose lips get the better of him and tells persons C, D and E your private members club his inside info on the strict proviso that they keep it to themselves. Person C keeps his new found nugget to himself for a couple of hours but can't help but give in to the egotrip and the kudos he'd gain from telling a few of his friends in the inner sanctum - persons F and G. Of course, he makes absolutely sure beforehand that they swear not to tell anyone else as he himself was sworn to secrecy. And so on...

Before I pull this apart,

Like you could

Well, I suppose neither you nor I are truly partial enough to be a judge of that so I'm happy to allow people to make their own minds up.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt

Gee thanks

No need to thank me - as I said I was just giving you the benefit of the doubt until you clarified your position.

and assume that you are making an observation rather than passing a critical judgement. Put me straight though, just in case - are you suggesting that the discretion that BCFC and LT have exercised is in any way anegative thing?

Oh I'm scared now.Look, that is an observation and, these days, it's unusual for three parties to be talking and all the announcements/comments coming from only one side.If the club policy is to make no comment until we've signed someone, fine, but Swansea's utterances have placed the matter in the public domain.

No need to be scared - I'm simply trying to have a discussion and bring a bit of balance to the some of the opinions being expressed.

So, Swansea placed the matter in the public domain - a potentially clever tactic in their position once they are resigned to losing the player as it alerts other potential suitors. Meanwhile, we are keeping a very low profile - a sensible tactic as it doesn't raise the expectation of our fans and place undue pressure on the club to deliver the player whom they are pursuing. It probably doesn't make a lot of difference to LT what he does either way but he'll want to keep his current employers and potential future employers sweet so the best thing to do is keep well and truly schtum.

All sounds perfectly sensible to me - although it does have the effect of putting out of joint the noses of a few people who are part of some private gossip club and who enjoy knowing stuff a little bit before the average bloke on the street. It is all really very, very funny.

Erm, you just have...

Erm, don't you think we did then and the comment meant that I haven't expanded on it, here

Erm, nope. The comment meant you went there, which you did because you, umm, made the comment. Nobody else brought it up - you did, followed by you saying that you weren't going to go there, which you had, because you brought it up. Etc.

Do you know for a fact that we haven't been speaking to other clubs/strikers in the meanwhile and that we haven't reached the end of those roads casuig us to turn our attentions to LT 2 weeks ago?

Well, according to GJ,up to around 2/3 weeks ago we "hadn't lost any of our targets"-So, if we've been talking to Swansea/made bids (according to the Media and Swansea, if that's OK with you) for around 2 weeks we must have had a lot of bids knocked back quick.

Can you tell me for a fact that that didn't happen? Nope, thought not. Moving swiftly on...

(No need to answer, the question is rhetorical).

Thought I'd clarify the point for you out of sheer kindness

Cheers. I'm glad you did - it simply affirmed my postulation.

There may be any number of reasons what getting this far with LT has taken until now. Maybe GJ wanted to run the rule over some trilaists and opposition players in Latvia first, maybe he's had his advances for 6 different other players spurned at the 11th hour, maybe LT wasn't available before but has recently had a falling out with somebody at Swansea that is being kept quiet. The point is, nobody knows - and that includes you.

OK-Let's examine what you say on the basis of probablity.After having all last season and knowing which Div we have been in since May-Having heard about "lists as long as your arm" we took TWO, players to Latvia on trial-Two refused (I know that).The ones we took, by every account I've heard, official or otherwise, were crap.To be kind, they were no better than we've already got-That's not inspiring me.

Forgive me for having to spell this out for you as it feels a bit disrespectful to say this to someone who holds his own opinion in such high esteem bit that is actually the point of a trial - to allow GJ and his staff to determine if players in whom he is interested are good enough. I'd have thought that might have been obvious but perhaps not.

I doubt if GJ had six, four or even two advances spurned in such a short timeframe on the basis that you'd be a bit stuffed if all 4/6 said yes and you can't approach target 4 until 1-3 decline! There is also the consideration that if he had that many targets lined up who said no that quick, were they unrealistic in the first place or was the targetting not researched properly??

Goodness me, this is getting more far-fetched by the word. You have no idea whether GJ's targets were realistic. You have no idea whether GJ's targets were researched properly. You have no idea how many, when and if any advances were spurned. I can't spell this out any more clearly - you simply do not know. And yet you see fit to spin all manner of negative theories and scenarios which cast people in a bad light. It's a good thing people don't actually take you seriously on this forum otherwise your conspiracies might actually be damaging.

If one looks at what's happened surrounding LT and the silence from his camp, he hasn't dismissed the move (Why meet GJ at all if he had not wanted to leave Swansea for BCFC in any event) it would appear that he is now being reported (By Welsh & English Media) to be handing in a transfer request.It would appear to me that Swansea didn't think we'd meet their asking price and when we did it may have triggered a clause in his contract wherby permission had to be granted-Like you say, who knows, but we can all speculate and we can all monitor the result.If that's not the case, why was permission granted for City to talk to an under contract player, unless a bid had been accepted?

I've absolutely no idea - much the same as you. Although I'm not sure how you consider that adds weight to your argument.

Do you think that GJ and SL sat round a table in April and said "Right, LT is the top of our list but we'll wait til mid-July before doing anything about it."?

GJ said at the start of pre-season that "not much would happen until July when pre-season training started and players reported back.That is also when players contracts have officialy expired,so you may be right.

Ah, clever - pretend not to realise that I was being sarcastic. Fair enough - I'll keep this bit simple for you. The reason that GJ said "not much would happen until July when pre-season training started and players reported back.That is also when players contracts have officialy expired" is because "not much would happen until July when pre-season training started and players reported back. That is also when players contracts have officialy expired". That doesn't necessarily mean that they aren't paddling furiously beneath the water - just that to those not 'on the inside' won't see much of substance because the club intend being very discrete in their dealing and the actual transactions when these things become public generally can't happen until certain time-bound formalities have been completed.

I think that they were both surprised by Price, Wages & Transfer Activity.I think that they thought they'd get Luke Varney for £750k, for example.It has become clear that strikers are in high demand and proven or even promising ones were snapped up.If all this stuff about players and agents holding out is 100% correct why were Varney, Cureton, Iwelumo & Best all off the market weeks or even months ago?? Even players like Clive Platt who couldn't tie Trundles shoes as a footballer??

Did GJ want Varney? Did he and SL think that 750k would be enough to get him? I've no idea - and, once again, neither do you. These are becoming compund, nested theories within theories. It's astonishing. And what do Varney, Cureton, Iwelumo, Best and Platt have to do with anything anyway? Either GJ didn't want them, they didn't want to come to us, or we weren't willing to pay more than our cost/benefit analysis determined we should stretch to.

Essentially you are passing judgement and condemning actions despite not being in possession of all the facts and you are still expecting people to take you seriously. The mind boggles.

Your mind boggles, maybe.It's a posting on a Forum, not the front page of The Telegraph

You're quite right - your posts are not the front page of the Telegraph.

I would have liked us to emulate clubs such as Leicester & Wolves and signed two strikers.Colchester have also signed two ex Premeiership players.No parachute payments there.

Ok - we should have copied Colchester and signed a player reaching the end of his decline and a thug who's had one half-decent season in the 4th grade of English football. Oh, but hang on, haven't they just lost Iwelumo and Cureton - a pair who bagged 40 goals at CCC level between them last season? I'm sure you'd have been overjoyed if we let 2 proven strikers at this level go... Hmmm, part of me says that Colchester aren't, perhaps, the best example for you to be citing when pursuing your sour campaign.

Rather than ponse around with clauses that were laughed at-Why not do what Reading & Wigan did to concentrate our minds and offer a good cash amount, Now.Before you tow the party line and start mithering about not affording it, SL could buy any two strikers in this Division by simply writing a cheque-I'm not saying he should, I'm saying he could

Well, JK Rowling could start supporting us tomorrow and bankroll us to being the next Chelsea but that isn't relevant either. It is a revealing insight into your true motives and beliefs, however. If you aren't saying that SL should buy 2 strikers in this division by simply signing a cheque then why table the idea? (Just so you know, this is another rhetorical question).

Well, good for them.

Or bad for us, perhaps

I suppose you could be right there. If we have been outbid for a few players because we attach a lower value to the player or our transfer policy/budget determines that we don' thave the spending power to compete then that obviously isn't an ideal situation to be in. It is, however, a real situation to be in and a situation that pretty much any club in the world bar Chelsea is in.

Sometimes we simply cannot compete and if your expectation is that that ought not to be the case then my suggestion to you is to prepare yourself for many more years of heartache ahead.

Other clubs haven't signed any strikers at all. We will sign players when everything falls into place. Once again, do you know for a fact that we haven't been actively pursuing players behind the scenes for a couple of months?

The point is, we haven't signed anyone-You can pursue the purchase of a car all you like, you can't drive one until you have it. And if you're desperate then watch the price go up

Once again you are branching off onto odd tangents. This has nothing to do with buying a car. You have no idea whether or not we have been actively pursuing players behind the scenes for a couple of months but rather than be patient and leave the club to go about their business with a bit of respect, you instead get all uppity and deduce that because you know nothing, nothing must be going on.

You miss the point-Clubs aren't lining up to flog their strikers at a pittance.

Really? Clubs aren't lining up to sign their strikers at a pittance? Especially those with a proven track record at CCC level? If only it were like the good ol' days when clubs used to line up to get shot of their decent players just so that we couold snap them up for a pittance and keep the baying fans happy. Oh, how I miss those days.

The ones that were available even at a price some have considered unrealsitic (GJ on Varney) are gone

Which means we either didn't want them, they didn't want to come to us or we weren't willing to match what others were willing to pay. Once again, I'm struggling to see your point.

Would you care to show me a single jot of evidence on which you are basing that utterly proposterous claim?

Yes.There's this bloke at Swansea called Trundle, who's names been mentioned on and off.We bid what the manager advised and, no doubt what the Chairman agreed he was worth and it was knocked back-Then we repeated that three times before giving them about 3 to 4 times as much as our initial offer.Satisfied?

Have a guess. Go on.

You said "If anything the prices seem to be going up"

I asked you to show me some evidence to back that up. Any evidence. Just a single jot of evidence.

You then took me through your interpretation of the negotiations that have taken place between us and SCFC in recent weeks and you somehow seem to think that that is evidence for prices going up. It is nothing of the sort. It is us trying to pay as little as we can while having a figure in the back of our minds that we are willing to stretch to while SCFC are trying to get us to pay as much they possibly can while having a figure in the back of their minds that they are willing to sell for. That is how negotiation works - sorry to have to spell something out so crudely for you again.

So, I'll ask you once again - Would you care to show me a single jot of evidence on which you are basing that utterly proposterous claim?

Or is it just another bit of sour propoganda borne out of AG not being as 'leaky' as it used to be?

I can't help it if you've got an inferiority complex or don't consider yourself part of some imaginary inner circle of people in the know.

Read back through my post and tell me if you really think I have an inferiority complex. Really. Do you think I consider myself inferior to you?

As for the 'inner circle' which you are now calling imaginary, you yourself have said in this very same post "Much information is shared privately amongst members who have built up confidentiality & trust over the years." The only things that are imaginary are the imagined belief that this loose group of people is able to retain any degree of confidentiality and the imagined belief that you are privy to lots of genuine inside info.

AG will always be leaky as will all deals in football because they don't begin and end at one club.There are two clubs, a player, an agent or two, sometimes three and various interested parties.I assure you that there has been plenty I and others have heard that we have chosen to keep to ourselves.

Like the McIndoe signing, you mean? Yeah, that was a very leaky deal. Oh, don't tell me, you knew all about it but your private members club just discretely sat on it until it was officially announced.

Believe it or believe it not, I don't care but 99% of what I hear comes from nowhere near AG and never has.

No - I believe it. It doesn't come from AG because some of the loose lips have been weeded out and you don't get the information that you and many others used to. The comical bit about it is that most people just accept it and wait to find out what has been going on but there are a few who feel somehow shunned or deprived and allow it to cloud their judgement.

Its been left very late if City are to sign anyone before 11th August. If for whatever reason Trundle doesnt arrive at City the it seems that City will going into the new season with the same strikers as last season.

I know this isn't addressed to me but I may as well pass some comment as you're so irritable.

Yes that's right, BB, I'm irritable.

The above is a factually correct observation.It has been left very late, it still isn't done and if Trundle doesn't sign, then we've got two weeks to sign two quality strikers when we haven't been able to sign one in about three months.Now,as a paid up member of the BFP that won't worry you.

I'm not a 'paid up member of the BFP'. I'm someone who is trying to bring a bit of balance to your ramblings and theories and oppose them with alternative points of view. Using peurile arguments such as that only serves to undermine your position and expose your inability to maintain a considered position when your hackles are up.

It worries me & RR.

Nobody is denying your right to be worried about something - I am just countering some of the nonsense that your worry has led you to post. I'm sorry if that bothers you.

As there is doubt bout Brookers fitness City could be forced to play one up front - Showumni.

Murray has played up front in pre-season - maybe GJ is going to move him there permanently.

Christ, I hope not-That does smack of desperation.I've seen that tried about thirty times and it worked once.

Ah well, I suppose the law of averages says it is due to happen again soon, then.

Sproule can play as a striker.

Of course he can-So can Murray & McIndoe-but they're wingers really.

Doesn't mean they aren't concievably the answer we were looking for. Thierry Henry was a winger when Arsenal signed him.

Plus we have Jevons, JMW and even Plummer who, for all you or I know, could be the next LL.

Or the next Marvin Brown-Like you say, we don't know about TP but JMW hasn't sparkled and Jevons will be off if two strikers come in.That's just my opinion nobodys told me anything or leaked it, OK?

No need to tell me that - I'd already guessed that nobody had told you anything or leaked anything.

Some doubt to about Nobles fitness as well and if he is out then City could be in dire straights.

Noble, playing in the position just off the striker or in the hole as some call it, is a player for whom we currently have no natural replacement.That's critical because it prevents us playing a formation that suited us well towards the end of last season.Let's hope both players are fit because we need them fit & firing.According to comments attributed to GJ in the EP, they're unlikely to face QPR, so that's your best formation based on last season and your best striker (currently, when fit) out before a ball's kicked.

There is no reason to think that the best formation at the end of last season is necessarily the best formation now. In case you hadn't noticed, we've signed a couple of wingers who may cause GJ to shuffle things around a bit. And, presuming we sign him, wouldn't LT be able to play in the hole?

I just cant fathom why the Trundle deal is taking so long to sort out.

From initial offer (according to Swansea) we're at week 3 or 4.

Erm, you said it was 2 weeks a minute ago. And you still haven't actually answered the question.

From Trundles perpective a move to the Championship must be attractive especially as his age is against him. Not only would there be the financial benefits but the pull and kudos of being a Championship player must be great for a player whose spent his career in the lower leagues. No other club ( as far as we know) are after him so its not as if there is a bidding war going on.

Again - something else that you aren't in possession of the facts about. I happen to have been made aware of another CCC club who expressed an interest in him around the same time as us.

That's outrageous how dare you?

How dare I what? I have no interest in trying to impress people on here by making them think that I know stuff and have contacts. I never post fawing replies or knowing emoticons in reply to yessir in order to imply association and to try to get info out of him. I was maikng the point that a bidding war may have happened, of which RR and others are unaware. Do you know for certain that that didn't happen? No? thought not.

Who's leaked that.Source, damn it sir, Source

Are you suggesting that I chase around here asking people to reveal their sources? I have no interest in knowing who people's sources are because for one, it is patently obvious that most of the sources on here are, well, not sources and two, I'll find out anything important in good time anyway.

Look, if everyone waited until we were all in full possesion of unequivocal evidence, this forum.......and most newspapers, would be empty

No they wouldn't - and what do newspapers have to do with this? Yet another tangent.

I've no idea if they pursued that interest but you have no idea if there has been a bidding war. The simple truth is that you have no idea why it has taken this long so all of this speculation is, quite frankly, a load of old twaddle.

Got you all excited though mate, hasn't it and didn't you say you'd been told another club was in so there could well be a bidding war, maybe RR's right?

Maybe he is, maybe he isn't. Point is, I don't know, you don't know, he doesn't know. Doesn't stop the pair of you getting all sourpuss about it though.

It must about be about the transfer fee and its all the haggling is taking up so much time.

**** me, so am I.Right, that's it, speculation's banned-That's Fleet St *****ed for a start

Eh? You what? Fleet Street? You really do have delusions of grandeur.

Speculation is one thing but the kind of theorising and drawing of conclusions that you and a few others do is a few steps beyind that. Fortunately, as I said, most people seem to know to take you with a pinch of salt so no real harm is done but it is a shame that is has to happen nonetheless.

Ah, but how many extra ST's would we have sold if we gone in like Whelan & Majdeski did for LL & DC and got our targets weeks ago?If we lose out to another club who've been alerted by our delay in closing this deal then wht price your imaginary £150k then??

Ah, the magic formula. Only we don't have a Whelan or a Madejski who is prepared to gift millions - something of a missing ingredient in the plan.

Problem is I hope that Trundle isnt the only "egg in the basket" as if it all falls through and no-one else comes in there will be a lot of disenchanted fans at AG on August 11th - especially after the ST increase.

At the risk of repeating myself again,

Never bothered you before

Fair shout.

you simply don't know.

And neither do you.

Nope, and I don't claim to know.

I do know we haven't signed a striker since Aug 2006 and we reallly need 1/2

Well, we managed to get promoted last season without one so clearly it can't have been that much of a problem that season. And I dare say we are pursuing a striker or 2 at the moment. On that basis, I'd argue that all the bases are covered. Perhaps you have a different opinion?

AG isn't the sieve it once was

You've really got a bee in your bonnet about that haven't you?

Not really. I don't come on here pretending to know stuff and trying to butter up those who appear to know stuff - like I said, I find it all really quite amusing

and some people are going to have to learn to come to terms with that.

Not you, clearly

I'm quite comfortable with it. I'll happily wait until things are announced to find out what has been going on behind closed doors.

Personally, I say well do to those who walk the corridors of power

It's Ashton Gate not the Kremlin

Thank goodness for that, otherwise they loose-lipped individuals of yesteryear might have found themselves in considerable danger.

as it makes it all rather amusing for the likes of me to see the previously well-connected getting all uppity.

I quite agree, as long as you're not getting uppity about it

Amen to that.

Gibberish, self-contradiction, unintentional comedy, delusion etc.

Please. Somebody. Anybody. Just take his shovel away from him. I'm actually feeling quite embarrased for him now and for me to feel that way it must be bad. Really bad.

Enlisting help/seeking approval again-Quite revealing.

I'm actually laughing out loud now. BB, I was using a metaphor to try to suggest that you should quit while you are behind and save yourself a shred of dignity - I wasn't actually suggesting that someone from the forum should come round your house and take your shovel off you.

I'm actually laughing out loud now. BB, I was using a metaphor to try to suggest that you should quit while you are behind and save yourself a shred of dignity - I wasn't actually suggesting that someone from the forum should come round your house and take your shovel off you.

Not as much as I am having read that.

I thought that you'd get it, but you've made yourself look a complete clown.

A lot of your comments "seek approval" and the "help you enlist" isn't a literal phrase either-Oh dear Orj and no time for the edit button either.I've highlighted the words in Red below.

Please. Somebody. Anybody. Just take his shovel away from him. I'm actually feeling quite embarrased for him now and for me to feel that way it must be bad. Really bad.

To explain to someone who appears to have no knowledge of NLP, you get a bit plural "Most people," "we" and that kind of thing. "Can somebody, anybody"---Why seek help & approval from others when they probably couldn't give a toss, Orj? I'm sure you're not doing it conciously, but I bet you'll notice yourself doing it more and more.

Oh and for someone who wants answers, you're not that great at supplying them when asked. Who are the people you claim to speak for and who are the members of this mythical inner circle of wannabees you kept on about earlier?

I hope you now realise that I didn't take the comment literally.

This bullying approach, seeking only again to engratiate yourself with authority figures at AG is embarrassing.I couldn't understand it until I looked back at some of your posts ( more often replies as you appear to lack originality) after you decided to resssurect one of mine from eighteen months ago and attack me in yet another unrelated thread.Everybody, apart from you apparently, is a dumbo and doesn't know what's going on, has questionable motives or beliefs.These are all called into question during your irregular visits to this forum for the high moral ground that is clearly yours & yours alone to occupy.

You spoke earlier about showing respect-like you did when talking about our "Jailbirds" and questioning if they were getting paid? I didn't defend them at the time and won't now, but I can remember being a young man & doing daft things, fortunately at a time when CCTV was a thing of fiction.So I won't take the moral highground on that matter.One of those "jailbirds" in particlular, Bradley Orr, played a massive part in gaining CCC status.

If you want to maintain silence and let GJ/SL/CS get on with things, fine.If you have 100% faith in all they do and, from what I have read you never ever criticise any of them, super. I have no issue with that, but let other forum members express their views in their own way if they do not buy in to your values & beliefs. Some of their responses may lack panache, depth and great literary style-who cares-as long as it's basically readable-it's a forum.

In closing, I think this has gone far enough on an open forum, although I'm quite happy to continue any sensible debate by PM, perhaps others are as bored with it as I am?

Not as much as I am having read that.

I thought that you'd get it, but you've made yourself look a complete clown.

A lot of your comments "seek approval" and the "help you enlist" isn't a literal phrase either-Oh dear Orj and no time for the edit button either.I've highlighted the words in Red below.

To explain to someone who appears to have no knowledge of NLP, you get a bit plural "Most people," "we" and that kind of thing. "Can somebody, anybody"---Why seek help & approval from others when they probably couldn't give a toss, Orj? I'm sure you're not doing it conciously, but I bet you'll notice yourself doing it more and more.

Oh and for someone who wants answers, you're not that great at supplying them when asked. Who are the people you claim to speak for and who are the members of this mythical inner circle of wannabees you kept on about earlier?

I hope you now realise that I didn't take the comment literally.

This bullying approach, seeking only again to engratiate yourself with authority figures at AG is embarrassing.I couldn't understand it until I looked back at some of your posts ( more often replies as you appear to lack originality) after you decided to resssurect one of mine from eighteen months ago and attack me in yet another unrelated thread.Everybody, apart from you apparently, is a dumbo and doesn't know what's going on, has questionable motives or beliefs.These are all called into question during your irregular visits to this forum for the high moral ground that is clearly yours & yours alone to occupy.

You spoke earlier about showing respect-like you did when talking about our "Jailbirds" and questioning if they were getting paid? I didn't defend them at the time and won't now, but I can remember being a young man & doing daft things, fortunately at a time when CCTV was a thing of fiction.So I won't take the moral highground on that matter.One of those "jailbirds" in particlular, Bradley Orr, played a massive part in gaining CCC status.

If you want to maintain silence and let GJ/SL/CS get on with things, fine.If you have 100% faith in all they do and, from what I have read you never ever criticise any of them, super. I have no issue with that, but let other forum members express their views in their own way if they do not buy in to your values & beliefs. Some of their responses may lack panache, depth and great literary style-who cares-as long as it's basically readable-it's a forum.

In closing, I think this has gone far enough on an open forum, although I'm quite happy to continue any sensible debate by PM, perhaps others are as bored with it as I am?

Seriously, BB, it's like taking candy from a baby and I simply don't find you stimulating or challenging enough to waste the considerable amount of typing that it takes to keep the screw turned.

For your own benefit, just let this die and get back to writing sanctimonious ratings and reviews for a website that not many people read. Really, trust me, it's for the best.

Sorry BB but I think Lee Trundles comments in the interview goes against what you are saying.

Although It nearly came at a high cost for me because I almost lost the will to live half way down the page, Lee Trundle states in his interview GJ has been after him for a while, that kind of says it all for me, certainly more than a couple of weeks anyway.

Apologies to everyone for dragging this up again and those of you who have just come back from holidays and hadn't seen this post before, you are probably going to need elecric shock treatment to restart your heart after this one. :noexpression:

Seriously, BB, it's like taking candy from a baby and I simply don't find you stimulating or challenging enough to waste the considerable amount of typing that it takes to keep the screw turned.

Rob, (Orj) we're really concerned that because your arguments are so steeped in absolutes, you're beginning too sound like Adolf Hitler.

Rob, (Orj) we're really concerned that because your arguments are so steeped in absolutes, you're beginning too sound like Adolf Hitler.

Yes, greenun, that's right - I'm starting to sound like a drug-addled dictator responsbile for the murder of millions of innocent people. How very perceptive an insight.

Now, where were we? Oh yeah, that's right - arguments steeped in absolutes. Care to expand on that a little?

seems we got Trundle and all was well in hand - cue humble pie post from BB?

Well - even if BB is not prepared to eat any humble pie I'm willing to do so having posted a reply on this thread with a "negative slant" (quote - orj).

Having just got back from 46* heat in Monastir now is the first time I've had chance to catch up fully and reply appropriately from home on a keyboard that has no arabic letters and the 'A' 'Q' 'L' and 'M' are all in familiar places.

I like many fans am delighted with the signing of Trundle and am looking forward to seeing him start his first competetive game - whenever that is.

I've no doubt that he will quickly become a fans favourite.

I have to admit that is was a surprise to me that Johnson was intersted in Trundle and even more of a surprise that Swansea let him go.Obviously Johnson sees Trundle as more than a quick footed trickster.Most of us haven't seen enough of him to be able to say what else he brings to the game and it will be interesting to see what those other qualities are.

Well - even if BB is not prepared to eat any humble pie I'm willing to do so having posted a reply on this thread with a "negative slant" (quote - orj).

Having just got back from 46* heat in Monastir now is the first time I've had chance to catch up fully and reply appropriately from home on a keyboard that has no arabic letters and the 'A' 'Q' 'L' and 'M' are all in familiar places.

I like many fans am delighted with the signing of Trundle and am looking forward to seeing him start his first competetive game - whenever that is.

I've no doubt that he will quickly become a fans favourite.

I have to admit that is was a surprise to me that Johnson was intersted in Trundle and even more of a surprise that Swansea let him go.Obviously Johnson sees Trundle as more than a quick footed trickster.Most of us haven't seen enough of him to be able to say what else he brings to the game and it will be interesting to see what those other qualities are.

In your defence, if it was ever needed, retrospectively looking back at your earlier post, I agree fully with what you were saying, at that time.Certainly not negative imo, just reflecting on the growing sense of apprehension that Lee Trundle's signing has hugely relieved.

seems we got Trundle and all was well in hand - cue humble pie post from BB?

Well in hand?

In the sense that we were 100% confident of getting LT, up to about Thursday night, it doesn't look that way to me.Having heard Lee on World and listened to Robinson at Swansea, that doesn't seem to be the case at all.Having said that, it sounds like LT thinks he's made the right decision.Let's hope we all think so come next May!

What I said was:

"We've been talking for about two weeks according to information eminating from Swansea's end-None from ours, as usual and none from LT's.Swansea seem the only party willing to comment."

It would appear that discussions have been going on for longer than was indicated by the info coming out of Swansea, upon which I based my comments so apologies and a big well done to GJ/SL.In fairness to Swansea they were talking about bids they received so the two things could well have different starting points.

Couple of points though:

If, say, we've been talking since June 1st (to pick a date) have we made any other offers for different strikers in the meantime and what would have happened if those offers had met a positive response?

Let's say, for the purpose of debate, that LT was GJ's No 1 choice, but had declined the move last week after a fee was finally agreed.On Monday 30th we're 12 days away from the start of the season, Brooker's injured and our likely starting line up against QPR contains one new signing, McIndoe.

On the comment about prices going up-I think the fact that it took us four reported bids to get our man-plus a significant wage and signing on fee, no doubt, is a decent enough indicator of an inflated market.

For the record, I've no problem with £1m in instalments for Trundle.We're in The CCC and we need quality to even stay there, never mind progress

Yes, greenun, that's right - I'm starting to sound like a drug-addled dictator responsbile for the murder of millions of innocent people. How very perceptive an insight.

Now, where were we? Oh yeah, that's right - arguments steeped in absolutes. Care to expand on that a little?

Let me put it this way Rob, you believe that you're unequivocally, certainly, without question, despite having sufficient evidence, always right.

Archived