IGNORED

A Good Start Is Going To Be Oh So Important

pdgifford64

Now that the wheeling and dealing , i assume, is over for now i reckons its time to attend to the really important stuff.

It seems like an eternity since we were last here at this level and it would be a tragedy IF we were to repeat our last campaign and find ourselves back in L1 next season.

I think we all pretty much know that every match this season is going to be important but a glance at the fixture list highlights just how vital the start of our season is going to be. 3 Matches in Aug that include Blackpool and Scunny, an oppurtunity to see how much we have improved, if at all, over our promotion rivals.

For me, and i know many will disagree, the LGCup holds no great importance. Yes a couple of rounds maybe with a nice juicy tie against a Prem club maybe but personally i`d be looking to use the Brentford match as a chance to put out some of the players on the fringe of the first team. We go into the FA Cup at the 3rd round and i think thats where we look to go as far as we can. It`ll have given the team a chance to settle by then.

The worrying thing about the fixture list is the run in. It`s bloody horrible. When i first saw it i didn`t really pay much attention, hey, i was still partying ! Looking at those final 12 games now though, well, its about as tough as it gets. The thing that makes it worse for me though is that we start that run in with 5 games in 2 weeks starting with Hull at home on 1st March.

Its nice to get off to a good start in any season. This one, i think, it`s a must. The opportunity is there, i firmly believe we can take the 9 points on offer in August and go to SWFC on Sept 1st in good spirits and confidence high.

From then on its a going to be a long hard season.

PDG

This is City mind, I cannot remember the last season we got off to a flyer....

Agree about the Carling Cup we could field our reserves/youth which would still be strong enough to give Brentford a good game.

Weale

Wilson

Keogh

Ribeiro

Fontaine

Betsy

Elliot

Artus

J-M-W

Jevons

Plummer

Plus maybe, dare I say it Brooker and Noble IF fit.

Every season someone post a thread about how important it is to 'get off to a good start". Its an extreme case of stating the obvious.

However City have not 'got off to a good start' for quite a few seasons and although it would be nice to start well I'm not going to lose any sleep if we don't.Last season City won the first game and then lost the next 3 league matches.The season before that City had won only three games at the end of September with a similar story the season before that.

The home games City have in August are both winnable and theres a good chance of a good result away at B'pool but recent history suggests that it won't go as expected.

Every season someone post a thread about how important it is to 'get off to a good start". Its an extreme case of stating the obvious.

However City have not 'got off to a good start' for quite a few seasons and although it would be nice to start well I'm not going to lose any sleep if we don't.Last season City won the first game and then lost the next 3 league matches.The season before that City had won only three games at the end of September with a similar story the season before that.

The home games City have in August are both winnable and theres a good chance of a good result away at B'pool but recent history suggests that it won't go as expected.

Well not wanting to state the obvious again Robbo, but a poor start this season won`t see us recovering up an extremely average LG1 table.

PDG

I think only playing the 3 League games in August instead of the usual 5 will be of advantage to the Redmen considering our traditional notoriously diabolical starts. In previous season's, (apart from the last - and one under Wilson when we won the first 4?) our poor starts have cost us badly come what May (*argubly), relegation, instead of a failure to win promotion would be an equally bitter pill to swollow.

What with mainly inexperianced Championship players not too much damage to confidence or indeed point tally can be done in 3 games, the Footballing Gods have looked upon us favorably for our induction. I'd certainly be confortable enough going to Hillsborough on the 1st on 4 points.

Come September last time around we were always fighting an up hill battle.

07/08 is going to be a learning -meandering- curve for all at BCFC.

IN JOHNSON I TRUST.

Well not wanting to state the obvious again Robbo, but a poor start this season won`t see us recovering up an extremely average LG1 table.

PDG

How do you know we won't recover? If -in fact -we start badly.

I'm with Robbo on this one actually - your whole post states the obvious

you told us:

1) - It's a long time since we were in the championship

2) - It would be very bad if we were relegated

3) - Every match is important

4) - B'pool & Scunny are among the early fixtures

5) - The league is more important than the league cup

and

6) - We end with some tougher fixtures

Thanks for keeping us informed!!

How do you know we won't recover? If -in fact -we start badly.

I'm with Robbo on this one actually - your whole post states the obvious

you told us:

1) - It's a long time since we were in the championship

2) - It would be very bad if we were relegated

3) - Every match is important

4) - B'pool & Scunny are among the early fixtures

5) - The league is more important than the league cup

and

6) - We end with some tougher fixtures

Thanks for keeping us informed!!

Its an opinion. Its what the forum is for. Thankyou for your response.

PDG

The worrying thing about the fixture list is the run in. It`s bloody horrible. When i first saw it i didn`t really pay much attention, hey, i was still partying ! Looking at those final 12 games now though, well, its about as tough as it gets. The thing that makes it worse for me though is that we start that run in with 5 games in 2 weeks starting with Hull at home on 1st March.

Its nice to get off to a good start in any season. This one, i think, it`s a must. The opportunity is there, i firmly believe we can take the 9 points on offer in August and go to SWFC on Sept 1st in good spirits and confidence high.

From then on its a going to be a long hard season.

PDG

I agree with the need to get off to a good start. I'm particularly worried about the run of fixtures we have in the autumn, beginning with Sheffield United at home:

Sheffield Utd h

Norwich City a

Southampton h

Stoke City h

Wolves a

Charlton h

Ipswich Town a

Leicester City h

Hull City a

Watford a

Not many winnable games there, but then I suppose there are no easy games at this level. The last seven fixtures are also particularly nasty, I agree.

Without wishing to sound like GJ, a lot of this is about mentality.

If you start of by thinking that you're doomed that's a self fulfilling prophecy.

Do what clubs like Wimbledon did back during their meteoric rise-develop that win at all costs, no fear mentaility-Go to places like Hillsborough, laugh at them and go at them.Not in a gung ho-five up front type of way, but in a measured way with a set game plan that makes you difficult to beat and frustrates teams into making errors that we then pounce on.

If we can get/keep everyone fit, we've got lots more goals in us than last season and a ton more pace-Defence needs to be right on it's game and our work rate second to none.

CCCCHHHHHHHAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGEEEEEE :chant6ez:

When the going gets tough the tough get going; as the song goes; still cant believe Wigan are in the prem for gawds sake and Reading they aint nothing special, we can take them :Believe:

Archived