IGNORED

Four Four Two Magazine (merged)

PhatWill

19th? Sure, survival's great but that doesn't sound like a very entertaining season! Personally I reckon mid-table's both achievable and would certainly be exciting. Don't settle now :)

Well it would be if the majority of the games finished 4-3 with enough of them on our favour, sounds entetaining to me.

19th? Sure, survival's great but that doesn't sound like a very entertaining season! Personally I reckon mid-table's both achievable and would certainly be exciting. Don't settle now :)

I'd take 21st if they guaranteed it to us right now. I think the most important thing for a newly promoted team is just to stay up the first season, once you do that, you are a championship club, not just "one of those teams that just promoted" - and then you can attract an even higher calibre player to the squad :)

Four Four Two magazine predicts we'll finish in 19th position next season, three places above the relegation zone.

Obviously they went to print before the signings of Trundle and Elliott.

I'd take that now :fingerscrossed:

I wouldn't!

OK, before we had made any signings that may have been a realistic ambition, but not now surely?

I wouldn't!

OK, before we had made any signings that may have been a realistic ambition, but not now surely?

The higher you set your expectations, the more likely you are to be dissapointed and come back here complaining in 6 months that we aren't topping the table!

The first goal has to be avoiding relegation. If we get to a point in the season when we've achieved that and we can go for higher things, wonderful and we can all be excited about it instead of sitting here saying we should finish 6th and be mopey all season because we're sitting 11th :P

The higher you set your expectations, the more likely you are to be dissapointed and come back here complaining in 6 months that we aren't topping the table!

The first goal has to be avoiding relegation. If we get to a point in the season when we've achieved that and we can go for higher things, wonderful and we can all be excited about it instead of sitting here saying we should finish 6th and be mopey all season because we're sitting 11th :P

So, if Gary Johnson came out befpre a ball is even kicked, and publicly announced that we are aiming for 19th, and would be happy at a job well done if that's our final position, you would be happy?

I get the point that you're making, but if you want to get high you have to aim high.

So, if Gary Johnson came out befpre a ball is even kicked, and publicly announced that we are aiming for 19th, and would be happy at a job well done if that's our final position, you would be happy?

I get the point that you're making, but if you want to get high you have to aim high.

I think waht everyone bar yourself means is that we can aim for first, but falling short and finishing 19th will not be deemed as faliure.

I don't want Gary Johnson to come out and say we are aiming for anything, and I don't think he will because he's a smart man. All I expect from Gary Johnson is to come out before each match and field a team he believes is capable of winning that match, which is what he'll do. It's the supporters that do all the speculating and the supporters that we have to listen to on here, and I have to be honest I'm more active right now because the forum is happier right now. When we get into the season and everyone is bitching and moaning about everything it's a big turn off to want to be in here as I'd rather just support city through and through and not threaten to quit being a supporter after every goal we give up like some that regularly visit these forums seem to do at times.

I think waht everyone bar yourself means is that we can aim for first, but falling short and finishing 19th will not be deemed as faliure.

Right. I don't think theres anyone in here that doesn't want City to win the league this season and promote to the Premier League and win that too. But first and foremost, We don't want to be relegated back to League One, we want to at the very least establish ourselves as a Championship club, and if that means finishing 19th and surviving for another season, then so be it. Failure would be relegation, Finishing 19th would definately not be a failure, but of course we'd love to finish higher and be a real surprise package this season!

:innocent06:

Fred (the Town fan interviewed) is a legend.

That section in FourFourTwo is always about rival fans trying to get one over on his or her counterparts. Fred did a good job.

Actually, it isn't about that at all.

It was, in truth, a very pleasant and amicable discussion amongst four people which has been really badly edited to suit the agenda of the article. I have been misquoted in several of my replies and Andy Tuck (the Swindon fan) has even been credited with things I said.

We chatted for over two hours, so you can tell from how long it took to read the interview how much of it was never used. For example, I at no point said "I'd be happy if we finished 17th". I was very clear in steering away from talk of consolidation or just surviving. I spoke about our eleven players giving their all every week and seeing where it took us, but that wasn't used.

On the matter of the biggest club, I said that the only real way to judge was to place clubs in order if they were all punching at their true weight - i.e. playing at precisely the level their support, facilities, fanbase etc. placed them at. If that were the case, Leeds would be above us and we would be above Swindon, Rovers and Cheltenham. However, for the purposes of the article this was edited down to "We're in the Championship and you're in League One!", which is true, but not relly the point.

It appears I wasted my evening, as the editor had already decided how the article was going to fit together before we even spoke to him. I'm still in touch with one of the other contributors to the article, who sees it much the same way as I do.

Still, the magazine says "Bristol City" on the cover, so I guess that answers the question of which club is the biggest for everyone.

Four Four Two magazine predicts we'll finish in 19th position next season, three places above the relegation zone.

Obviously they went to print before the signings of Trundle and Elliott.

I'd take that now :fingerscrossed:

Yes would take 19th now!

Christ I wouldn't!

Massive price hike-£2m ish spent-five new players-why shouldn't we do as well as Colchester did last season? I'm not known as a happy clappy but there is a world of difference between a minimum requirement or a fall back position, than ambition and I think City doing as well as Colchester did-maybe better, is very realistic.

I'd take 21st if they guaranteed it to us right now. I think the most important thing for a newly promoted team is just to stay up the first season, once you do that, you are a championship club, not just "one of those teams that just promoted" - and then you can attract an even higher calibre player to the squad :)

I think the best chance of promotion is possibly in your first season in a division and the last time we were promoted, Watford did just that.It's all about confidence and manegerial nouse.We spent far more than Watford that season.......in fact almost double what we have so far this season, but it was squandered and we replaced a talented, yet inexperienced Championship manager with an untalented yet inexpereinced manager.Do it right and aim high-then if you fall just short, you're still in good shape!

High expecations tempered with realism-Otherwise you may as well aim for relegation

Avoiding relegation is our minimum fall back-not a goal.Our performances will create the mood, coupled of course, with results.GJ has almost signed a forward line, so it's clear he's looking to beef up his attacking options.All the forwards are exciting entertainers as well so, whereas we ground a lot of results out last season, this season he's obviously looking to play in an more open attractive style.

pre-elliot and trundle signing I would have said yes please,

however now, I'll take 12th

I'm concerened that people are heralding Elliotts arrival before any of us have seen much of him.Different kettle of fish with Trundle who has a far higher profile and the goal scoring record to be effective, if he reproduces it in the CCC.I'm quietly confident, barring injuries which seem to be mounting up.

Johnson will be, but we are in a much higher standard league. We may finish much higher, but realistically 19th is good, the Wendies finished thereabouts and Barnsley too. similar positions to ours.

So long as we aint relegated, or spend too much time in the dogfight there, I'll be happy. survival is the key. a trip like the last one again-no thanks.

Archived