IGNORED

Very Revealing Comment

Bristol Boy

MH offers something very different and if he was to impress in the remaining friendlys/training and shore up our lightweight midfield I can see no reason why he couldnt get a place in the starting 11 against QPR.

Johnson will surely pick his best 11? performances in pre-season have hardly been inspiring.

It's about showing faith in players. You don't foster good competition or confidence by arbitrarily dropping someone - GJ's said before he considers a player to own the shirt until they lose it and he's made new signings wait for an opportunity before. Weale isn't going to start for example even though GJ probably rates him more than Basso. Wilson didn't walk into the side, nor did Betsy, or even Jamie McCombe.

Pre-season is really about fitness, I don't think it will have too much bearing on the first XI other than extreme cases. There haven't been any competitive games in which Lee Johnson, Alex Russell, Cole Skuse, or David Noble who all played against Rotherham could have lost the shirt since we got promotion, so I find it highly doubtful he will just chuck Elliott in in front of them.

It's about showing faith in players. You don't foster good competition or confidence by arbitrarily dropping someone - GJ's said before he considers a player to own the shirt until they lose it and he's made new signings wait for an opportunity before. Weale isn't going to start for example even though GJ probably rates him more than Basso. Wilson didn't walk into the side, nor did Betsy, or even Jamie McCombe.

Funny - I seem to remember Lee Johnson getting a place in the starting XI within about 24 hours of signing for us last season from Hearts - didn't he make his debut away to Bradford City on a Tuesday night having signed only a day or two before?

Trundle will obviously start V QPR despite having admitted he has not done a full pre-season, and I suspect Elliott will too if he impresses V Bournemouth.

Well_red

Funny - I seem to remember Lee Johnson getting a place in the starting XI within about 24 hours of signing for us last season from Hearts - didn't he make his debut away to Bradford City on a Tuesday night having signed only a day or two before?

Trundle will obviously start V QPR despite having admitted he has not done a full pre-season, and I suspect Elliott will too if he impresses V Bournemouth.

Well_red

Johnson wasn't in the starting XI against Huddersfield he was on the bench. He then started the next game when Gj did his infamous "can Skuse play on the wing?" experiment. Noone was dropped, McAllister was injured, Murray was injured, Brown was injured and Russell had only just returned from injury.

Archived