IGNORED

Well Done G.j.

Rowley Birkin

We will be playing a lot better class of oppositiion this season than Yeovil and they will eat our forward line up a spit it out in bits without a strong player up front.

Remind me how we did in the four games last season against better class opposition (Coventry & Middlesbro').

Did they eat our forward line up and spit them up in bits?

How many goals did we as a team score in those four games?

Guest ashtonyate
So which games have you been to this pre season, AY?

Tell me I'm intrested to know how you've come to this assessment of LT when in all the games I've seen him so far he's been excellent at holding up the ball.

The point being we aren't living in the 80's anymore and the ball is played TO HIS FEET and not to his head.

None I think the best thing to be said for them its a run out as we have only played teams lower than the league we are playing in its all a bit pointless

its Saturday 11th of August that will tell us a lot more about City.

Not a kick around against Swindon and the like, We are lucky to have 3 teams to play who are finding there feet. The real test will come when September Is here then if we have not got it right the you know what will hit the fan.

I still don't know why we have not got a player in yet that can play as a target man or call it what you want but some one who let the opposition know he is there to me the front is still light weight. The ball played to his feet yea all right great so we will not have any variation great.

None I think the best thing to be said for them its a run out as we have only played teams lower than the league we are playing in its all a bit pointless

its Saturday 11th of August that will tell us a lot more about City.

Not a kick around against Swindon and the like, We are lucky to have 3 teams to play who are finding there feet. The real test will come when September Is here then if we have not got it right the you know what will hit the fan.

I still don't know why we have not got a player in yet that can play as a target man or call it what you want but some one who let the opposition know he is there to me the front is still light weight. The ball played to his feet yea all right great so we will not have any variation great.

I stopped reading there.

Have you seen Showumni! he runs about the whole game trying to scare the oppo, against Swindon he and the centre back were at loggerheads all game, and if you ask Terry Skiverton i'm pretty sure that he knew that Showumni was there in the Yeovil game as he was smashing it up the pitch just because SHowumni was running at him

The ball played to his feet yea all right great so we will not have any variation great.

Are you kidding? if you want variation Trundle has got to be first choice, the tricks he has in his locker, and have you seen him control it on his neck! or where he catches it between his knee and his leg! and I know you may say that he won't be able to do that in a match, but he obviously has because the videos are all of him doing these things during the game! or are you going to say that you want these attributes in one player, in which case we should put a bid in for Eto

I don't want to rub your nose in anything it will be to late by then with the transfer window shut, the crap on this thread how we played against Yeovil I don't care about frigging yeovil.

We will be playing a lot better class of oppositiion this season than Yeovil and they will eat our forward line up a spit it out in bits without a strong player up front.

You may be rose tinted glass wears but for god sake take them off with out a player like i have described we are in the crap

I'm not wearing rose tinted specs at all. I just think that the time has come to let GJ manage the side, see what happens and then pass comment. Are you saying that every other team in the division, bar us, has this magical target man that we lack? A few weeks ago there was incessant 5 year old style whining from many posters about the lack of signings. We now have some signings and somebody on another thread is now bellyaching that the youngsters won't get a chance - priceless. Plus the annual "pick on an individual player" posts are increasing in activity as the season approaches - Phil Jevons and Kevin Betsy being the current fall guys. Some Bristol football "supporters" just make you despair.

I think we are at the stage now where the real transfer activity has stopped (except perhaps one or two going out of the club) and the speculation about whether our forward line will get chewed up and spat out is pointless. We simply have to wait and see now.

Guest ashtonyate
Have you seen Showumni! he runs about the whole game trying to scare the oppo, against Swindon he and the centre back were at loggerheads all game, and if you ask Terry Skiverton i'm pretty sure that he knew that Showumni was there in the Yeovil game as he was smashing it up the pitch just because SHowumni was running at him

Are you kidding? if you want variation Trundle has got to be first choice, the tricks he has in his locker, and have you seen him control it on his neck! or where he catches it between his knee and his leg! and I know you may say that he won't be able to do that in a match, but he obviously has because the videos are all of him doing these things during the game! or are you going to say that you want these attributes in one player, in which case we should put a bid in for Eto

Showunmi could do the job but on last season showing he was to keen to go out to the wings and play balls where he should have been if they can sort that out he may be able to do the job but his heading lets him down all the time.

If we get this new Center half perhaps Johnson will play Mccome up front that's about the best option at the moment

Showunmi could do the job but on last season showing he was to keen to go out to the wings and play balls where he should have been if they can sort that out he may be able to do the job but his heading lets him down all the time.

If we get this new Center half perhaps Johnson will play Mccome up front that's about the best option at the moment

Ashtonyate,from a massive die hard Bristol City fan, thats the worst last comment ive ever read from you.

Me thinks that you are Awol from your hospital

This was mainly because of our complete lack of a naturaly wide left sided players last season. Other players wil automatically drift out to try and create width or to fill the gap left out there. This should not be a problem this season with out and out wide players like Sproule and McIndoe in the team.

As for your soap box regarding a target man. Have you thought that GJ might have decided on a playing style he wants to use and has then brought in the players that fit his chosen style of play? Is it just possible that his chosen style might not feature a target man? Perhaps this season GJ has decided that we are going to be a real footballing side and play the ball to feet, because Lee Trundle might just be a bit more of a threat with the ball at his feet rather than it flying 20 feet over his head?

If we need to change style during a game, or for specific games, and need to have "target" man then I think that Enoch has all the makings of the target man you crave ( he scared Coventry 5h1tless up there last season), without us shelling out yet more millions on a new player.

mcCombe up front it is then. :noexpression:

new he'd find his best position one day.

player of the year at centre half last season, top goal scorer the next. Captain of england the season after. EASY EASY

Guest ashtonyate
Ashtonyate,from a massive die hard Bristol City fan, thats the worst last comment ive ever read from you.

well that's how important I think we need that type of player or the ball will be hit right down our defences throat putting them under pressure big time it happened a lot last year and the problem is still there.

well that's how important I think we need that type of player or the ball will be hit right down our defences throat putting them under pressure big time it happened a lot last year and the problem is still there.

Do you think that all City fans, who are wishing nothing more than seeing their hero,s, kicking off next sat in the CHAMPIONSHIP, really need to keep listening to your negitive views?

Come on, suprise us all, wish the current squad all the best for the new season!

what great football wisdom you have! Mccombe up front ,would never have thought of it myself.

Now having had 8 pints of stella i think i'm on your wavelength - i would also suggest trying murray in goal as he's not as quick as he used to be but the fans still love him , what do you think?

Perhaps as another suggestion, if we played 4:1:5 , we could have 5 target men up front making it easier for the back 4 to find a target when hoofing the ball out of defense , then , whichever targetman gets the ball,they could then simply pass back to drogba ( who we should try signing ) who would score and everyone would be happy.

ps.don't get disheartened about the negative replies on here from some posters, people post alot more carp than you!! ie.see above post.

I'd much rather we played attacking, passing football at a good tempo than go long to this mythical big, target man.

Quite simply AY, they don't exist in vast quantities anymore. Most teams these days, from the top down, play with their best partnerships. Henry and Bergkamp weren't targetmen but formed a strikeforce to deadly effect in the Premiership.

I agree that Trundle isn't this target man but who's to say that he won't/can't form a good partnership with someone like Jevons just because neither of them are big?

Share with us one target man that is better than anything we have and is attainable to BCFC?

I can't think of anyone asides from Didier Drogba and Steve Howard but we've got more chance of seeing Elvis ride into Ashton Gate on Shergar than see a player of that sort of calibre coming here!

Yea right Crouch, real pacy target man, and Toshack and Keegan really up to date partnership.

City's goalscoring comes from all over, who cares who scores.

Trundle also has the ability to hold the ball up and wait for suoort.

20 plus strickers are very thin on the ground arent they, isnt Lampard Chelseas leading scorer, great target man he is.

Make no mistake we paid to much for Trundle but I would have paid three times as much for a lot younger quality player, it been nearly a year now with out signing the right type of player.

we got just over a week now to find out the truth on the team we have a easy start but wait until we start playing the better teams then we will see I hope I am wrong we will wait and see

Just reading up on things and I am very happy good work GJ

But is there anyway we can get rid of Ashtonyate from this forum...

One doom and gloom dull git if there ever was one

UP THE CITY

We will be playing a lot better class of opposition this season than Yeovil and they will eat our forward line up a spit out in bits without a strong player up front.

Ashtonyate, you haven't answered my question.

As always, you ignore anything that disproves your arguement, or for which you have no answer.

So, I ask you again:

"Remind me how we did in the four games last season against better class opposition (Coventry & Middlesbro').

Did they eat our forward line and spit them up in bits?

How many goals did we as a team score in those four games?"

Guest ashtonyate
Ashtonyate, you haven't answered my question.

As always, you ignore anything that disproves your arguement, or for which you have no answer.

So, I ask you again:

"Remind me how we did in the four games last season against better class opposition (Coventry & Middlesbro').

Did they eat our forward line and spit them up in bits?

How many goals did we as a team score in those four games?"

Sorry I will do that now Its OK do well against 2 higher teams Coventry were going through a bad time when we played them. Boro well they beat us in the end and should have killed us of at home they were 2 up and i thought we were in for a good hiding but to be fair to City we came back.

The thing is most teams can raise there game on a one off basis but its do in it week after week for 46 games that's the real problem.

That why the Man U and Arsenal of the world are on top and the fulhams are near the bottom they can't match the class of the top teams week in and week out on a one off match they may win but over all they lack the class and the staying power. If a new team has any weakness it will be found out and exploited very quickly

To go along with the theory that we do need this player for a minute the next thing to do is put together the profile and see what is available. Looking at your various contributions on this subject the profile seems to be:

1. Quick

Big and Strong

Young

Proven Championship Goalscorer

£2-3m

I think if such a player was available the board would stump up the money as it would be the best bit of business the club had ever done. Looking at some of the transfers this summer:

1. Sharp ticks 1, 3, and 5 at £2m

Nugent ticks 1, 3, and 4 at £6m

Chopra ticks 1, 3, and arguably 4 at £5m

Beattie ticks 2, possibly 4 at £4m

DJ Campbell ticks 1, 3, and 5 at £2m

It becomes clear that a player with all of these attributes would be worth £5m-£10m. Unfortunately the rest of the football world also knows this and we would be bottom of the list of clubs interested in the player.

So, unless you can actually come up with a suggestion of a player all of the football world has missed, it might be time to be more realistic in your expectations. Hey that way you might even find yourself being pleased with the signings we have made!

Guest ashtonyate
To go along with the theory that we do need this player for a minute the next thing to do is put together the profile and see what is available. Looking at your various contributions on this subject the profile seems to be:
  1. Quick

Big and Strong

Young

£2-3m

I think if such a player was available the board would stump up the money as it would be the best bit of business the club had ever done. Looking at some of the transfers this summer:

It becomes clear that a player with all of these attributes would be worth £5m-£10m. Unfortunately the rest of the football world also knows this and we would be bottom of the list of clubs interested in the player.

So, unless you can actually come up with a suggestion of a player all of the football world has missed, it might be time to be more realistic in your expectations. Hey that way you might even find yourself being pleased with the signings we have made!

well Johnson has been looking for nearly a year now you can't tell me there has not been player who fit the bill that has not been sold.

well Johnson has been looking for nearly a year now you can't tell me there has not been player who fit the bill that has not been sold.

That is exactly what I'm telling you yes. It is up to you to identify someone who fits the bill and is within our (your) price range.

Go on, you know you want to...

Yes I can. There hasn't been a single one. Hmm, although Alan Smith was sold yesterday so you may be right. I'm sure we could have afforded £6m, and I know for a fact (my dog's cat has insider knowledge) that he would definately have chosen to come to City ahead of Newcastle.

Guest ashtonyate
That is exactly what I'm telling you yes. It is up to you to identify someone who fits the bill and is within our (your) price range.

Go on, you know you want to...

If i do that will you get Johnson to promise he will buy him

1. Quick

Big and Strong

Young

£2-3m

Well the best I can come up with is our old friend Ade Akinbiyi, and IMHO he would make a very good foil for Trundle, he could be the battering ram leaving time and space for LT to work his magic.

He would be fast, big and strong, have an established championship goalscoring record, cost about 700k, but obviously aint as young as we would like. If we could find a younger version of him that would be perfect - he missed the odd howler last time out, but his attitude and goal scoring were about the only good thing that happened to us last time out. The only one who could fill that role now I think is/ was Izale Macleod - has he signed for leicester yet?

Si.

Guest ashtonyate
If you can identify someone who meets every one of the listed criteria I will do my best. So the player is.......

Ade akinbyou sp yes but in the last 10/11 months there have been player who would have fit the bill but Johnson sooner bring loan signings like Smith in. are you saying there has been no player that would have done the job.

The excuse was money but Trundle has blown that right out of the water

Ade akinbyou

Fails miserably to meet (3) Young. He is two years older than Trundle who you have spent the last week writing off as too old. His pace is also not what it was, but on the up side he is definitely bigger than he was when we first had him :innocent06: . Next...

In the last 10/11 months there have been player who would have fit the bill but Johnson sooner

bring loan signings like Smith in. are you saying there has been no player that would have done the job.

Up until a couple of months ago we were a League One club which would have made convincing this superstar striker to sign even more difficult. So yes I am saying no player that fits your profile has been available to us in the last year.

The excuse was money but Trundle has blown that right out of the water

The excuse has never been money. The only time I can remember a deal failing over money was with Hayter, but that was a question of value for money which is very different.

Sorry I will do that now Its OK do well against 2 higher teams Coventry were going through a bad time when we played them.

But a win and a draw would have given us four points.

Boro well they beat us in the end

Only on penalties (which we don't have in league games), so another two points.

and should have killed us of at home they were 2 up and i thought we were in for a good hiding but to be fair to City we came back.

Which shows that we will not be beaten that easily.

The thing is most teams can raise there game on a one off basis

But it wasn't a one off, we did it four times.

but its do in it week after week for 46 games that's the real problem.

That why the Man U and Arsenal of the world are on top and the fulhams are near the bottom they can't match the class of the top teams week in and week out on a one off match they may win but over all they lack the class and the staying power. If a new team has any weakness it will be found out and exploited very quickly

The fact is that we were unbeaten in each of those four games, and scored nine goals, which doesn't give much credence to the point that you were making.

Guest ashtonyate

Well OK if you look at it that way Rovers took 5 points off of us It proves nothing one of games do not tell you anything except that if your team can win them perhaps they are not putting in the effort in all there matches

Guest ashtonyate
Fails miserably to meet (3) Young. He is two years older than Trundle who you have spent the last week writing off as too old. His pace is also not what it was, but on the up side he is definitely bigger than he was when we first had him :innocent06: . Next...

Up until a couple of months ago we were a League One club which would have made convincing this superstar striker to sign even more difficult. So yes I am saying no player that fits your profile has been available to us in the last year.

The excuse has never been money. The only time I can remember a deal failing over money was with Hayter, but that was a question of value for money which is very different.

How do you know what the excuse is are you party to what goes on and what money we have offered for players. Are you are telling me no player has moved clubs in the last 10 months is not good enough for us astonishing we just as well give up know.

Archived