IGNORED

Ashton Gate

Dolman Block B

Suppose this thread will annoy a few, and suppose a few will agree.

Took up my new seat in the Dolman today, and although the sun shone on our hallowed stadium, my thoughts changed to just how tired she looks!!!

New seats, new pa system, new players, but poor poor facilities.

Sadly, not a championship stadium,and probably only a decent 1st division ground.

Seen some magnificent, tremendous occasions at the gate,but my gut feeling is that all the money in the world wouldnt bring this place, that has been close to my heart for the best part of 40 years, up to scratch.

Modern stadiums are set a few miles away from the cities, and a few years back i would,nt of thought it was the way forward.

Well, ive no doubt in my mind, after travelling to many in the last 2/3 years, it is!!

Bristol City really do need a new, top notch , modern stadium, well away from Ashton Gate, and i don't honestly belive that modernising Ashton Gate is the way forward.

Saying that, i,l be there for as long as my club decides to play there.

You cant chuck away that many years of happiness....bit like being married i suppose?...... :worship2:

Took up my new seat in the Dolman today, and although the sun shone on our hallowed stadium, my thoughts changed to just how tired she looks!!!

Sadly, not a championship stadium,and probably only a decent 1st division ground.

Seen some magnificent, tremendous occasions at the gate,but my gut feeling is that all the money in the world wouldnt bring this place, that has been close to my heart for the best part of 40 years, up to scratch.

Modern stadiums are set a few miles away from the cities, and a few years back i would,nt of thought it was the way forward.

Well, ive no doubt in my mind, after travelling to many in the last 2/3 years, it is!!

Bristol City really do need a new, top notch , modern stadium, well away from Ashton Gate, and i don't honestly belive that modernising Ashton Gate is the way forward.

You cant chuck away that many years of happiness....bit like being married suppose?...... :worship2:

I disagree. You can improve Ashton Gate to the standard we would all like but it would involve knocking down three stands and starting again. The biggest problem with Ashton Gate in terms of staging top class football is parking facilities and affordable, reliable public transport. How we achieve that would be the biggest problem.

Another thing Arny - I have seen a few of your posts saying that a number of your mates will be watching less due to the prices. You move Bristols City's football stadium away from South Bristol and the number of people you know who are attending less will be a drop in the ocean. Sextone really should ignore that at his peril.

I disagree. You can improve Ashton Gate to the standard we would all like but it would involve knocking down three stands and starting again. The biggest problem with Ashton Gate in terms of staging top class football is parking facilities and affordable, reliable public transport. How we achieve that would be the biggest problem.

Another thing Arny - I have seen a few of your posts saying that a number of your mates will be watching less due to the prices. You move Bristols City's football stadium away from South Bristol and the number of people you know who are attending less will be a drop in the ocean. Sextone really should ignore that at his peril.

Yep yer right.

MOST of the lads i have been going to City havent renewed their season tic,s because of the increase.

What makes you think that a new stadium, where ever it may be, wont draw new fans in?

As for my mates.....cant be as passionate as me and you possibly mucker?

as ever with new staduim talk.........Where?

it's great in theory, but there is just no where to put it,

Personally I'd never leave the gate! it's home

last thing I want is one of the silly grounds that looks the same as everyone elses in the middle of no where on a retail estate, no pubs, no local businesses thriving on a match day just dullness!

last thing I want is one of the silly grounds that looks the same as everyone elses in the middle of no where on a retail estate, no pubs, no local businesses thriving on a match day just dullness!

Hengrove Park would be the obvious choice....although next to the P+R off the A370 would be better...if it wasn't "greenbelt".

Just talking to a few die hards down today, most actually love Ashton Gate like its part of their family.

Me to, my argument is, i cannot see how he Gate can be developed into a staduim say like Hull City,s, Coventry,s MK Dons, etc etc without the space.

Look at Liverpool.

I think Anfield is fab, but their moving, possibly Everton to.

Perhaps I'm wrong.

If the future is at Ashton Gate , then so be it.

Well happy with that....but honestly doubt it

I hate new stadiums they all look the same with there fancy Restaurants and bars, AG is fine for me. I went for a tour round arsenals ground and loads of the season tickets are 4 grand +, some are 50k (but you do get your pre match 3 course meal and a little nibble at half time)

All new stadiums have to be paid for and who usually ends up paying for it????? I'm quite happy paying £375 having a few pints in the local pubs and watching the match + i think Aston gate is an unusal name for a football ground and i don't want it to change.

I hate new stadiums they all look the same with there fancy Restaurants and bars, AG is fine for me. I went for a tour round arsenals ground and loads of the season tickets are 4 grand +, some are 50k (but you do get your pre match 3 course meal and a little nibble at half time)

All new stadiums have to be paid for and who usually ends up paying for it????? I'm quite happy paying £375 having a few pints in the local pubs and watching the match + i think Aston gate is an unusal name for a football ground and i don't want it to change.

S.Bcity, no dig at what we got.

Its the future i feel for.

Developing Ashton Gate will be a MASSIVE construction job.

Plus, pulling down a stand a time, loses the club massive revenue.

Imagine, City, still a championship club, developing the E End, and 18 months to do it.

Crowds much lower, loss of revenue!

Pulling down the Williams even worse.

The hospitality, premier suite revenue, all goes out the window.

You can go on and on and on.

Saying that, if Ashton Gate stays as it is, ald Arn will be there.....simple as

There is sufficient room for a 40,000 seater at the Gate. We have room for a massive Williams Stand, and Wedlock. That is more than enough for us for the future.

100% agree Rob.

But the time to pull down the existing, build the new?

This club is a BUSINESS.

It needs its revenue to survive.

Would love to keep the name and the venue......but i honestly belive it wont happen.

If I'm wrong "spank" me.............

You cant chuck away that many years of happiness....bit like being married i suppose?...... :worship2:

I tend to agree Arnie. I sat in the Dolman today for the first time in about 8 years and the Grandstand and EE certainly do look dated. The one thing that updating individual stands does, is to show up everything else, and the spanking new seats in the Dolman, show how faded the red seats are in the other stands. I do think though that when the ground is full it still is an impressive sight, and the negative things only show up in crowds of around 5000.

I tend to agree Arnie. I sat in the Dolman today for the first time in about 8 years and the Grandstand and EE certainly do look dated. The one thing that updating individual stands does, is to show up everything else, and the spanking new seats in the Dolman, show how faded the red seats are in the other stands. I do think though that when the ground is full it still is an impressive sight, and the negative things only show up in crowds of around 5000.

Now that was the reply i wanted!!!!

Sat in the Dolman, looking at a next to nothing crowd, elsewhere faded seats, low level roofing, advertising boarding almost falling from its hoardings, and i can go on, it saddened me somewhat!!!

But hey hoh, its Ashton Gate, a place logged in my heart and will never go away.

Lots of away travel this season, and tbh probable jealous frowns from me......

Yeah, I agree. A prime site would've been on the old Super Bowl site that's being regenerated for accomodation. With a train track running behind the back you could even had a special station killing any transport issues.

Other than that, the only other places I would like us to move to is on Ashton Park or on the land near David Lloyd. Both are highly unlikely but Ashton Park would be ideal for us. :yawn:

Totaly agree with you Arny - Living in Lincoln and going to a lot of away games and other games in the area does show Ashton Gate does look a bit aged. I love the memories at Ashton Gate but would love a nice new stadium.

Mark, i didnt start the thread to put anything about Ashton Gate down....love it, my second home, and lived my life there.

Sad though, it do look pants compared to most other stadiums......

Lets keeep BCFC up there there with the best mate

and where do you suggest we put all the parking spaces also if our capacity increases..arn is right we need a modern stadium with parking etc ashton gate is just not idea if we do ever get to the promised land

and where do you suggest we put all the parking spaces also if our capacity increases..arn is right we need a modern stadium with parking etc ashton gate is just not idea if we do ever get to the promised land

I think I'm right Wayne, but loads will disagree.

I cant see any point in spending millions on the Gate, when a new stadium could be an option at the end of the day.........

SL will have the final word...

I think I'm right Wayne, but loads will disagree.

I cant see any point in spending millions on the Gate, when a new stadium could be an option at the end of the day.........

SL will have the final word...

The Dolman has been updated, the East End "IS" being rbuilt again end of the season costing millions. It all points to City staying put at the Gate for decades. Lovely!

Thank Christ we are not going to move to one of those awful average stadiums in the middle of nowhere which looks like everywhere else.

I hope Sexton is up to the task and can really do a good job on the new East End.

The Dolman has been updated, the East End "IS" being rbuilt again end of the season costing millions. It all points to City staying put at the Gate for decades. Lovely!

Thank Christ we are not going to move to one of those awful average stadiums in the middle of nowhere which looks like everywhere else.

I hope Sexton is up to the task and can really do a good job on the new East End.

thats my main problem with moving.all these new stadia look the same.

not a great deal of atmosphere in them ethier.

take the middlesborough game as an example ashton gate rocks when its full.I'm not sure you can recreate that anywhere else

Agreed. If you expand the Williams and Wedlock into big two-tiered stands, we would have a 30,000+ seater ground, which is all we need at the moment. It would also transform the look of the ground, and hopefully give us better facilities for sponsors, etc. When we are in (or challenging for promotion to) the Premiership with big away crowds coming every week, that's when I think we need to think about a new ground.

I love the place but it's tired.

Why keep bolting bits on? The club can really move forward if we get a new stadium. I would suggest 2 options could be available..

1 Tear down the gate and build new stadium on the existing site

2 Sell the existing site to Tesco and build a new ground at either Superbowl or Dave LLoyds - and call it Ashton Gate

simple

There is the question of cost

MK Dons new stadium currently holds 22,000 and will go up to 30,000.It cost £42m

Our improvements:

New EE £8-10m and it must be two tier surely?

New Williams/Grandstand £8-10m

Capacity 29,000.

That's £20m v £42m.

Unless we can find a benefactor or a serious investor/sponsor, forget about it, mate.

New EE £8-10m and it must be two tier surely?

as stated in endless other postings on here, it's going to be SINGLE TIER STAND it's all planning permission will allow, their isn't the space there to build a 2 two stand without serious costing issues and the extra costs needed to develop 2 tier stand aren't worth the money for the amount of extra seats it will bring

Archived