IGNORED

Quality Up Front & At The Back

Bristol Boy

Looking forward to our first few games commencing with QPR on Sat, I have two major concerns.

One, the defence looks disorganised and leaky without McCombe.That will be worked on tirelessly I'm sure, but the only two clean sheets we've kept have been with Keogh & Fontaine at the back and they look set to miss out Saturday.On what I've seen, I hope McCombe will be back soon.

The other concern is that we effectively have only three strikers, none of whom has real expereince at CCC level.

Let's face it, if Trundle gets a knock we're down to the bare bones (As per last season Jevo/ES) and, given Brooker fitness/lack of fit, I'm very disappointed that we haven't strengthened this area.

TP's doesn't seem close to a start & JMW's out on loan.

Over to you.

Looking forward to our first few games commencing with QPR on Sat, I have two major concerns.

One, the defence looks disorganised and leaky without McCombe.That will be worked on tirelessly I'm sure, but the only two clean sheets we've kept have been with Keogh & Fontaine at the back and they look set to miss out Saturday.On what I've seen, I hope McCombe will be back soon.

The other concern is that we effectively have only three strikers, none of whom has real expereince at CCC level.

Let's face it, if Trundle gets a knock we're down to the bare bones (As per last season Jevo/ES) and, given Brooker fitness/lack of fit, I'm very disappointed that we haven't strengthened this area.

TP's doesn't seem close to a start & JMW's out on loan.

Over to you.

Totally agree with the McCombe sentiments. Really hope the guy can get back playing sooner rather than later as we miss him badly.

I think on the striker front as a few have said, we may well use Sproule there if needed (once his ban is over) and of course the transfer window doesnt close till the end of August. I know what you mean though, another pacy striker would have been ideal.

don't forget in the away games we may well want to go 4-5-1 to pack out midfield a bit more and we have a more plentiful supply of midfielders.

I would hope Sproule stays on the wing, he will cause more chaos there.

But he misses the first four games and playing as a forward againt WSM isn't really an indicator

We still do not have a sufficient front line. I will be surprised if any of the exisiting players prove me wrong, but they need too many bites of the cherry to score. It was a problem last year, and will be worse this year against better defences.

Agreed

Trundle probably has better skill to create space and I hope goals. A fit Brooker could probably cope too.

Yup but fit & Brooker don't sit well in the same sentence

I think he will try Murray up front on occasions (he started as a striker). Murray has a calm head in front of goal and still has enough pace.

God I hope not

I am sure we would still like to sign another striker, but we do not have the money or ability to attract who we want.

Nonsense-We have both or, more accurately SL does

More likely to be an overseas player, or reserve plucked from the Prem.

Still won't be cheap

Pospisil was on the bench for Hearts on sunday - got the last 20 minutes on the pitch.

It'll only take a couple more games like that and he'll be ready to move, and there'll be a few like him.

It may prove easier to get a striker in after the season has started.

Trouble with that is the transfer window but "loan with a view to," could be the answer.

Defensively City have looked dodgy in pre-season without McCombe but Johnson has acknowledged that saying that the squad would be working on it this week.Hopefully it will be sorted by the time QPR come to town.

I feel that he has to go with players that know each others game so I hope that Carey and Keogh/Fontaine would start as center backs.Vasko won't have had time yet to settle in.He'd be usefull at Brentford next week especally as he needs games to get accustomed to English football.Maybe if all is going well he could get 20mins or so as sub on Saturday.

I'm not too worried about where the goals will come from.Trundle will create and score a few and if Jevons can find some confidence they could form a good partnership.Enoch can also find the net and after his 15 odd goals last season he'll also be keen to impress.

Its fair to say that without Brooker the cupboard up front is pretty bare should the club be hit by injuries/suspensions but with luck he'll be fit again by the time those factors come around.Sproule can also play as a striker but not for the first 4 games so fingers crossed the other strikers don't pick up an injury or get sent off.

Defensively City have looked dodgy in pre-season without McCombe but Johnson has acknowledged that saying that the squad would be working on it this week.Hopefully it will be sorted by the time QPR come to town.

I feel that he has to go with players that know each others game so I hope that Carey and Keogh/Fontaine would start as center backs.Vasko won't have had time yet to settle in.He'd be usefull at Brentford next week especally as he needs games to get accustomed to English football.Maybe if all is going well he could get 20mins or so as sub on Saturday.

I'm not too worried about where the goals will come from.Trundle will create and score a few and if Jevons can find some confidence they could form a good partnership.Enoch can also find the net and after his 15 odd goals last season he'll also be keen to impress.

Its fair to say that without Brooker the cupboard up front is pretty bare should the club be hit by injuries/suspensions but with luck he'll be fit again by the time those factors come around.Sproule can also play as a striker but not for the first 4 games so fingers crossed the other strikers don't pick up an injury or get sent off.

Lot of wishfull thinking there :fingerscrossed:

What you're effectively calling for BB is signing 4 strikers, 7 midfielders and 8 defenders and 3 keepers because they'd be proven and we wouldn't have to rely on the "bare bones" players who hadn't done it in the championship before.

What you're effectively calling for BB is signing 4 strikers, 7 midfielders and 8 defenders and 3 keepers because they'd be proven and we wouldn't have to rely on the "bare bones" players who hadn't done it in the championship before.

If that's your take on it, I'd suggest a University Education's wasted on you.

I think we should have signed a quality striker to play next to Trundle if we're going to play 4-4-2.4-5-1 and it's not as much of an issue.

I think it's also fair to say that if we were on the case with Vasko early doors then we could have done with him here sooner than last Saturday!

Guest ashtonyate
I don't know why everyone is worrying. I think were going to p1$$ this league. Sewn up before we've finished eating one of Ashtonyates christmas turkeys.

Merry Christmas to you all, what do you think sage & onion or thyme & parsley. Looking at the fixture my prediction is 4 point out of the first 4 games.

No new striker on the way the though of Trundle & jevons up front fills me of fear where are the goals coming from one or the other but not both for god sake.

Time for the rose glass mob, Rover supporter or a very concerned City fan what am I you decide

We need our back four to settle, definitely, and that might take a game or two. I don't think we lack quality there, we just need to get into a groove and McCombe's injury hasn't helped but it won't be forever. Carey, Fontaine and Keogh are plenty good enough and Vaskas is the giant if we need one.

Up front we lack pace IMO but we have three fit senior professionals in Trundle, Enoch and Jevons and a better player trying (endlessly) to get fit. Plus scope to sign one more.

We've signed pace on both flanks and finally got that elusive left footed left winger which will allow us to attack down either side instead of just the right. We've added a combative player to the centre of the park. We've retained all the players we wanted to.

I'd like to see one more striker but I don't think we have any cause for major concern. We have a large squad, a much bigger wage bill now and we can't sign everyone under the sun. I'm quite pleased with what GJ has done this summer.

One thing we certainly don't need is panic if it takes us a few games to find our feet.

We need our back four to settle, definitely, and that might take a game or two. I don't think we lack quality there, we just need to get into a groove and McCombe's injury hasn't helped but it won't be forever. Carey, Fontaine and Keogh are plenty good enough and Vaskas is the giant if we need one.

Up front we lack pace IMO but we have three fit senior professionals in Trundle, Enoch and Jevons and a better player trying (endlessly) to get fit. Plus scope to sign one more.

We've signed pace on both flanks and finally got that elusive left footed left winger which will allow us to attack down either side instead of just the right. We've added a combative player to the centre of the park. We've retained all the players we wanted to.

I'd like to see one more striker but I don't think we have any cause for major concern. We have a large squad, a much bigger wage bill now and we can't sign everyone under the sun. I'm quite pleased with what GJ has done this summer.

One thing we certainly don't need is panic if it takes us a few games to find our feet.

Couldn't agree more Nibor.. Especially about the panicing part!

I'd like to see another striker come in to compliment LT and in case of injury to any of those already here. Even if Brooker was fit tomorrow he takes a few games to get sharp and I wouldn't want to rely on Enoch & Jevo to get us the goals we need without LT. We'll get goals from elsewhere if Scotty can continue his pre-season form but with Noble out and Ivan suspended we'll need the forwards to score for the first month or two.

I do think that we're covered at the back though and not worried about that in the slightest. I also think Basso is a CCC level keeper and with the exception of McCombe being out we've got a very settled defence.

Marvin Elliot seems to be a great signing as well so hopefully GJ can get some consistency out of him.

Looking forward to mid-table mediocrity!! No excitement this year please GJ!!

If that's your take on it, I'd suggest a University Education's wasted on you.

You're so smart Bristol Boy, what an intelligent comment! Damn if only my Uni education allowed me to be that clever. Every time you use a pathetic age jibe you look more and more foolish BB. Every time you attack the poster and not the post you just embarrass yourself further. I could say you're slipping in your old age, your posts are certainly deteriorating in quality if not quantity, but frankly, i don't need to stoop to insults to get my points across. C'mon BB try to raise your level.

I think we should have signed a quality striker to play next to Trundle if we're going to play 4-4-2.4-5-1 and it's not as much of an issue.

If two got knocks you'd be complaining about only signing two players up front. What about decent backup? You really haven't thought you point through. If you write off our strikers as "bare bones" that means you'd obviously like them to be replaced! You I expect will be the first to say, "Steve's got the money, why hasn't he signed quality backup?" even if you already haven't.

I think it's also fair to say that if we were on the case with Vasko early doors then we could have done with him here sooner than last Saturday!

I assume GJ was happy with the defence when we went up, McCombe being injured made us re-evaluate the situation. It's good to know that we are sensible enough to look at replacements for our players if there's a problem with them.

Why don't your comments about players lack of experience apply to the rest of the team BB? If you're worried about the defence and strikers why not the midfield and keepers? If you want players with experience, none of them have it (cept McIndoe and Showunmi) so that advocates a drastic overhaul.

The "Bare bones" got us up, they'll keep us up too with the quality we've added.

We're all assuming they're good enough (me included) and I hope so.The same applies to McCombe.It's all well and good people talking about our performances against Cov & Boro but please remember that we conceeded 7 goals in three of thew four games, as well as scoring seven. My concern about the the giant is that he didn't seem dominant in the air, although he seemed to be more of athreat from our corners.He didn't seem a "physical" player either which is odd again given his size.

We definetly need a quality pacey striker

Agreed

Without doubt, our squad is stronger, but I want to wait & see if those signings are up to it week in, week out.Only McIndoe & Elliott have played regular CCC football and Elliott (who looked the pick of our signings against Bmth) has been in League one for two seasons.I'm pleased that we've strengthened the areas that we have and GJ's talked about Sproule down the middle which is OK if we play to his strengths and he links well with Trundle-not if we do what we did with Jevo and smash the ball over his head and into the channels instead of getting him on the ball and facing goal.

I'll agree with that however, without sounding sour, one thing that we've acheived with a price increase is heightened expectations and we've lost about 800 fans who may well have been more long standing, appreciative & patient.

I assume GJ was happy with the defence when we went up, McCombe being injured made us re-evaluate the situation. It's good to know that we are sensible enough to look at replacements for our players if there's a problem with them.

If we were happy with our defence and McCombes injury is minor what wrong with playing Keogh (Still not signed the new contract) or Fontaine?Bringing a centre half in this late will always be an issue and the other two lads deserved their chance particularly on the basis of Keoghs performances against Boro.

Why don't your comments about players lack of experience apply to the rest of the team BB? If you're worried about the defence and strikers why not the midfield and keepers? If you want players with experience, none of them have it (cept McIndoe and Showunmi) so that advocates a drastic overhaul.

I've made the "experience" comments in other posts about the squad-My view, is that we'll have to wait and see because there is a significant lack of CCC experience.

The "Bare bones" got us up, they'll keep us up too with the quality we've added.

Let's hope so

You're so smart Bristol Boy, what an intelligent comment! Damn if only my Uni education allowed me to be that clever. Every time you use a pathetic age jibe you look more and more foolish BB. Every time you attack the poster and not the post you just embarrass yourself further. I could say you're slipping in your old age, your posts are certainly deteriorating in quality if not quantity, but frankly, i don't need to stoop to insults to get my points across. C'mon BB try to raise your level.

If you're going to make stupid remarks like the one you made above (Red) then what do you expect? I'm not effectively calling for a new squad, I'm calling for ONE additional new striker because the ones we have, excluding LT, didn't score many outfield League goals in League One.If you don't think that's a concern, super, I do and if you look at the players that are being signed by other clubs in the CCC, it appears they do to!

You mean insults like the one above concerning "quality & quantity?"

If two got knocks you'd be complaining about only signing two players up front. What about decent backup? You really haven't thought you point through. If you write off our strikers as "bare bones" that means you'd obviously like them to be replaced! You I expect will be the first to say, "Steve's got the money, why hasn't he signed quality backup?" even if you already haven't.

I've thought it through very well thanks :disapointed2se:

IF we signed a pacey, quality striker, he would partner LT if we go with two up top (I think we shouldn't, at least until that signing arrives, others may differ, fine) that would leave SB, PJ & ES as back up PLUS JMW & TP-that would be enough for now-HOWEVER, if any of our strikers (or any other player) struggles badly at this level then they should obviously be replaced.

SB's injured and if LT got a knock we are down to the bare bones, unless you believe that PJ & ES are a Championship strikeforce and if you do, look around at some of the competition!

It is unlikely from what GJ's said that we'll see JMW & TP in much first team action this season and JMW's already on loan which I fully support

On the subject of SL, yes he could buy any two strikers in this division and pay their wages-That's a financial fact-If he chooses not to, that's his prerogative

I think you're reading far too much into pre-season friendlies.

The season Tinnion almost took us down, we'd had a really good set of pre-season friendlies (i think we hammered Exeter 7-1 !) and yet we struggled when the season started properly.

Although the effort is sometimes there, pre-season games never really match up to the real thing and i'd expect there to be a few mistakes - you must have noticed that these games don't always go to form ?

Its a pity McCombe is out, but we've got people who can stand-in and Vasko (or whatever his name is) looked pretty good at winning headers (which is McCombes primary job). Its just a pity he hasnt had more time to get used to playing alongside Carey and the others.

Yes, we could have got another striker, but I think we've done incredibly well to get Lee Trundle, and after spending a million pounds on him, we were never going to splash out on a second striker - it would have to be a loan. LT plus one of the other three should be good enough.

And don't start getting scared just because sides like Sheffield United and Charlton have good players - there are other teams in this division with worse squads than ours. I'd rather have our players than QPRs, S****horpes or Blackpools. And are teams like Burnley, Plymouth or Stoke really that good ?

But, of course we'll find out on Saturday...

I think you're reading far too much into pre-season friendlies.

The season Tinnion almost took us down, we'd had a really good set of pre-season friendlies (i think we hammered Exeter 7-1 !) and yet we struggled when the season started properly.

The quality of our opposition has concerned me.We've played no one above League One level

Its a pity McCombe is out, but we've got people who can stand-in and Vasko (or whatever his name is) looked pretty good at winning headers (which is McCombes primary job). Its just a pity he hasnt had more time to get used to playing alongside Carey and the others.

I agree that the timing isn't great and I wasn't impressed by Vaskos aerial ability

Yes, we could have got another striker, but I think we've done incredibly well to get Lee Trundle, and after spending a million pounds on him, we were never going to splash out on a second striker - it would have to be a loan. LT plus one of the other three should be good enough.

Why can't we spend another million or so? Our Chairman can afford it so we shouldn't dismiss the likelihood. It's currently LT plus two, one of whom is injury prone.That's to thin

And don't start getting scared just because sides like Sheffield United and Charlton have good players - there are other teams in this division with worse squads than ours. I'd rather have our players than QPRs, S****horpes or Blackpools. And are teams like Burnley, Plymouth or Stoke really that good ?

Difficult to say until we've played ten or so games and things can change with injuries & suspensions

But, of course we'll find out on Saturday...

Decent indicator, no more or less

The quality of our opposition has concerned me.We've played no one above League One level

So how is that different from any other pre-season campaign we've had recently ? Even premiership teams underperform in pre-season friendlies. This really is nothing new and nothing to be alarmed about.

I agree that the timing isn't great and I wasn't impressed by Vaskos aerial ability

He won just about every header he went for... in both boxes ! what more were you expecting from him ?

Why can't we spend another million or so? Our Chairman can afford it so we shouldn't dismiss the likelihood. It's currently LT plus two, one of whom is injury prone.That's to thin

Well, I'd be delighted if he did splash out again, but spending £1m on a striker was more than i'd expected, so i still think we've done well. And don't write off PJ and ES too soon...

Difficult to say until we've played ten or so games and things can change with injuries & suspensions

i guess thats true of any team... lets wait and see.

Decent indicator, no more or less

a better indicator than a handful of meaningless friendlies ?

So how is that different from any other pre-season campaign we've had recently ? Even premiership teams underperform in pre-season friendlies. This really is nothing new and nothing to be alarmed about.

It isn't and perhaps that's why we're not great starters normally? Similarly our reserve games are poor and that may be why it takes a few games for players to get aclimatised to first team football

He won just about every header he went for... in both boxes ! what more were you expecting from him?

I don't remember him winning every header and I thought, overall, Joe Kuffour gave him quite a hard time-mind you, Kuffour gave McCombe a tough time at Brentford last season and he could have been a player that we should have trialled? As I said he looked more of a threat in their box but for aguy of his size I wasn't impressed last week with his toughness or dominance in the air

Well, I'd be delighted if he did splash out again, but spending £1m on a striker was more than i'd expected, so i still think we've done well. And don't write off PJ and ES too soon...

I'm not writing either player off but I am being realsitic based on their performances over a 60 game season last time out.

a better indicator than a handful of meaningless friendlies ?

Absolutely, but it depends on things like availability and let's hope they've got some missing, as we have, on Sat!

Archived