IGNORED

Smoking

churchill ciderhead

Wrong assumptions my friend! and yea i made it up to sound clever but hey, Natch never did anyone harm but being a namby pamby do this do that parent is doing harm. For goodness sake, these sort of kids end up running our country and look at the mockery they have made of that, Inheritance Tax, Asylums Welcome signs on every port & Beach! and oh yea a smoking ban that will ruin the already dying pub trade. Bring on the organic fags, thats next!

It okay to be a cider drinking,cigerette loving bloke but still have the brains to think of others at the same time. This is not about politics or suits in London shouting the odds, it's about people giving a **** about others in society and thinking before they act.

It not unreasonable for this bloke to want to take his kids to football and not have grown men smoking all over them! You've attacked him on all levels for what? being conncerned about his kids welfare... Where's the love stillmorecider?

Your coming across as a bit of a neanderthal fella.

The problem is you are not reading what I am saying.

If you want to keep on paying my TAX! carry on smoking.

I just don't want to share your smoke.

Why can't you go away from the seats, have your cancer stick then come back.

By the way the tea is a little too hot and not too much fatty milk next time!!!!, (JOKING!)

Fair enough then, but may i just add I've never once been asked by anyone stop smoking at footy, if someone did actually ask me politely i might consider their request and try to go without until half time of something, but i don't really think it bothers most non smokers that much, they just accept it.

It okay to be a cider drinking,cigerette loving bloke but still have the brains to think of others at the same time. This is not about politics or suits in London shouting the odds, it's about people giving a **** about others in society and thinking before they act.

It not unreasonable for this bloke to want to take his kids to football and not have grown men smoking all over them! You've attacked him on all levels for what? being conncerned about his kids welfare... Where's the love stillmorecider?

Your coming across as a bit of a neanderthal fella.

So they sit on their laps do they? blow it right behind their ears? don't think so... it just grieves me that smokers can be condemned like they are thugs and scum. I don't voice my hatred at vegetarians or asians.

there were plenty of seats in the williams free..... it it really is bothering then ...Move!

thought you might wanna see my little one just to make you all smile on the angry heated debate!

I will show some love, but not when you get brandished a thug! for waving your cancer stick!

ajsmokinqh8.jpg

So they sit on their laps do they? blow it right behind their ears? don't think so... it just grieves me that smokers can be condemned like they are thugs and scum. I don't voice my hatred at vegetarians or asians.

When someone is tucking into a cucumber & cress cracker it will not make your eyes sting or your hair and cloths smell.

there were plenty of seats in the williams free..... it it really is bothering then ...Move!

Shouldn't have too but a option nonetheless.

ajsmokinqh8.jpg

Where did you ge tthat picture of Tommy Doherty from??

When someone is tucking into a cucumber & cress cracker it will not make your eyes sting or your hair and cloths smell.

No but their breath might stink if the cheese is from Mudgeley and if you are sat in front of them and by some unfortunate chance they sneezed or coughed you may get pebble dashed in soggy cracker... you decide??

YEa it does look like the doc a bit HAHA!

Churchill you have gone quiet..... gone for a sly fag??

No but their breath might stink if the cheese is from Mudgeley and if you are sat in front of them and by some unfortunate chance they sneezed or coughed you may get pebble dashed in soggy cracker... you decide??

YEa it does look like the doc a bit HAHA!

Churchill you have gone quiet..... gone for a sly fag??

Leave him alone!your just another sad man who doesnt have a life soo manipulates others! look at u,u sick twisted man having your display picture as a baby smoking? doesnt set a very good example does it!

Get a life!

Bcfc til the end !

P.s he did not go quiet he stated to you that he was not going to reply!Try reading next time!

Leave him alone!your just another sad man who doesnt have a life soo manipulates others! look at u,u sick twisted man having your display picture as a baby smoking? doesnt set a very good example does it!

Get a life!

Bcfc til the end !

P.s he did not go quiet he stated to you that he was not going to reply!Try reading next time!

I have delayed my response to this issue until I had checked my facts to make sure I was right. Thankfully I am, so here goes.

It clearly states in the programme on page 82 in bold print "please note that smoking is not permitted anywhere within Ashton Gate Stadium."

Surely that's straightforward enough for the people that persist in smoking when they are not allowed to.....

Maybe the massive NO SMOKING signs are also a bit of a hint..

Churchill has the right to sit in his seat without having to breathe unwanted smoke, which shouldn't be there anyway, and also to have the stewards take his complaint/request seriously...

There must be a way to get this sorted, perhaps the FCF can take this to the club next time to make sure the appropriate action is taken by people who can't follow a simple instruction/polite request call it what you will, that includes the stewarding issue..

the law states if a enclosed area is over 90% ( 2 sides and a roof) it is illegal to smoke + bristol city fc is a no smoking stadium.

i am a smoker my self but i can last 45 min with out a fag. Think of others if you wanna smoke during the game if you don't care about others **** off down the mem

the law states if a enclosed area is over 90% ( 2 sides and a roof) it is illegal to smoke + bristol city fc is a no smoking stadium.

The law doesn't apply to stadiums.

As for the "**** off down the mem" comment, maybe the new breed of "me me me" supporters could just **** off instead?

Smoking never used to be an issue, yet suddenly some people are so hystericle they make it sound like smoking now puts them off! Did it before? Obviously not.

I would make the bottom corners of each stand a smokers only, all other areas for others.

If smokers want to smoke they do so together and to discourage the filthy habit let them have the worst view too.

Let's be good examples to our children and youth.

Some grounds allow only at half time in a designated standing area

Why does the club not return to the policy of allowing smoking in only certain block as they did last year? Now I am a smoker by choice. I know the risks and the cost but actually most think I'm quite a decent person so why am I cast a a leper? Drug addicts can now shoot up thier illegal habit in the safety of "private booths" in Bristol but I can't smoke anywhere inside AG despite the fact my habit i legal. Yes I can go two hours without a ciggy but why should I? The non smokers feel their rights are being infringed upon but what about the rights of smokers or does our disgusting habit make us persona non grata with no rights what so ever. As for branding smokers as thugs I think that is laughable and a sign of overkill. I won't smoke at AG because the club says I can't hence I haven't been so far this season. That isn't because I can't go though a game with out a ciggy it because I won't be dictated to. My choice, my rights! Give me a smoking area and I'll stick to it don't and I won't be there.

Why does the club not return to the policy of allowing smoking in only certain block as they did last year? Now I am a smoker by choice. I know the risks and the cost but actually most think I'm quite a decent person so why am I cast a a leper? Drug addicts can now shoot up thier illegal habit in the safety of "private booths" in Bristol but I can't smoke anywhere inside AG despite the fact my habit i legal. Yes I can go two hours without a ciggy but why should I? The non smokers feel their rights are being infringed upon but what about the rights of smokers or does our disgusting habit make us persona non grata with no rights what so ever. As for branding smokers as thugs I think that is laughable and a sign of overkill. I won't smoke at AG because the club says I can't hence I haven't been so far this season. That isn't because I can't go though a game with out a ciggy it because I won't be dictated to. My choice, my rights! Give me a smoking area and I'll stick to it don't and I won't be there.

Sounds a bit like cutting you're nose to spite your face to me!!!!

I respect your right to smoke, and you are not a leper a social outcast or persona non gratis...IMO However if a club has a no smoking rule it must be respected, you've chosen to vote with your feet, others have chosen to flaunt the rule and need to be reminded of the rules.

two blokes were smoking in the atyeo stand but the people around didn't

report them.no steward saw them.

that carlise fan has been banned from his club because he kept on smoking when

they told him to stop

I was near enough to them. I didn't know what the stupid steward was looking at, but the smoke was obvious. Also, a couple of their group had glass bottles of Carling. Do we sell glass bottles of Carling?

I was near enough to them. I didn't know what the stupid steward was looking at, but the smoke was obvious. Also, a couple of their group had glass bottles of Carling. Do we sell glass bottles of Carling?

NO they are plastic.

someone behind us bought a bottle of Carling but the steward caught him.

Get a life!

Bcfc til the end !

So now I am a sad man who doesn't have a life and am sick and twisted! bla bla bla bla bla, I really don't care what you say!

I don't smoke in the ground, I enjoy the banter outside at H/T whilst I enjoy my "cancer stick" saves standing near some non smoking boring old guff of wind who wants to moan about how Trundle needs to prove he is worth 1 million pounds. I will get a life, maybe can get one like you which is obviously better than anyone elses but as long as I have a hole in my beautiful backside I am not going to sit and read your twoddle and not be able to give my opinion.

and as for setting an example,

ITS A BLOODY FORUM!

Yes My 17th month old boy is really getting me down because whatever I do I cannot get him to stop smoking, I have tried everything. Perhaps I should focus more on his well-being and upbringing instead of replying to you. But hey your name says it all Bcfc-Til-The-End.... says it all I forgot about you.. oh worshipful one.

And as for manipulating others, I wouldnt do that I just want to have a discussion but it seems as long as its a one sided discussion its perfectly ok! If it wasn't for me there would be nothing for you to get angry at in your one bed semi in slumville! Night Night :fastasleep:

I would make the bottom corners of each stand a smokers only, all other areas for others.

If smokers want to smoke they do so together and to discourage the filthy habit let them have the worst view too.

Let's be good examples to our children and youth.

Some grounds allow only at half time in a designated standing area

Yes and make all those people who come to the gate in 4x4's direct them to southmead and walk to the game to discourage the filthy pollution machines from coming near ashton gate!! oh no they are ok because they don't kill people do they?

Just aswell the non-smokers weren't at the Emirates stadium last week in the away end, as the bogs at half time smelt purely of smoke and a bit of piss, back to how a pub would almost of smelt is best to describe it really. They had signs up in the toilets that the Emirates is a no smoking ground, and the stewards didnt really care people were smoking in there as not once did i see a steward go in there. I have to say it was a really nice change to have the smell of smoke in a place again, as even though i don't smoke its still wierd going in pubs/football with out the smell.

Some of my first memories that i can remember of football have been when sitting somewhere on a cold saturday afternoon, and someone would light up somewhere in the ground and get a nice waft of smoke. How times are sadly changing for the worse (in my opinion, this will be the first major thing banned before the PC brigade start whinging about something else next)

as even though i don't smoke its still wierd going in pubs/football with out the smell.

Yea sure is, when we went to Torquay for the friendly the wetherspoons on the front was disgusting smelt of sweaty old men and cheese, its going to start smelling like that at the gate and if it does I am going to tell a steward. Maybe even write to the club and ask to move.... I don't want my child having to put up with that sort of smell.... pfffff :innocent06:

There seems to be a general misconception about what the law and whether it applies to football stadiums. Ignoring for a moment that BCFC have made their premises NON-SMOKING and thus the whole argument is a moot point, the wording bears some examination:

In plain english, the law states:

From July 1st 2007, it is illegal to smoke in virtually all 'enclosed' and 'substantially enclosed' public places and workplaces.

A football stand, without doubt, falls within the description of a 'substantially enclosed public place' - the definition of which is:

"Premises are considered 'substantially enclosed' if they have a ceiling or roof, but have an opening in the walls, which is less than half the total area of the walls. The area of the opening does not include doors, windows or any other fittings that can be opened or shut."

The key to all this is the word 'VIRTUALLY' in the law - there is no definition for the meaning of this and it is effectively a loophole. If that word had been left out then, undoubtedly, the law would apply to football stands and there would be no question that the law applied to them.

The bottom line is - regardless of the law - the club have made THEIR PREMISES non-smoking and any patron should abide by that fact or face the consequneces. Any steward who does not act on information brought to his attention is failing to perform his duty to enforce the club's rules and should be reported to the club.

There seems to be a general misconception about what the law and whether it applies to football stadiums. Ignoring for a moment that BCFC have made their premises NON-SMOKING and thus the whole argument is a moot point, the wording bears some examination:

In plain english, the law states:

From July 1st 2007, it is illegal to smoke in virtually all 'enclosed' and 'substantially enclosed' public places and workplaces.

A football stand, without doubt, falls within the description of a 'substantially enclosed public place' - the definition of which is:

"Premises are considered 'substantially enclosed' if they have a ceiling or roof, but have an opening in the walls, which is less than half the total area of the walls. The area of the opening does not include doors, windows or any other fittings that can be opened or shut."

The key to all this is the word 'VIRTUALLY' in the law - there is no definition for the meaning of this and it is effectively a loophole. If that word had been left out then, undoubtedly, the law would apply to football stands and there would be no question that the law applied to them.

The bit with "virtually" in is not law just a description.

The stands at AG are not substantially enclosed because their open areas vastly exceed their wall space.

The actual area you sit in is not rectangular because it's hugely sloped, the walled area at the back and sides is tiny compared to the massive open area from roof to pitch at the front.

The bottom line is - regardless of the law - the club have made THEIR PREMISES non-smoking and any patron should abide by that fact or face the consequneces. Any steward who does not act on information brought to his attention is failing to perform his duty to enforce the club's rules and should be reported to the club.

Agree totally, it's just a pity that the league chose to implement a blanket ban instead of allowing a little freedom of choice.

Archived