IGNORED

Best Start For 16 Years !

headhunter

Whilst we have started well on a few seasons in recent years at LGE.1 Level how far back do we have to go at what is now CHAMPIONSHIP to find a start like this?

August 91 to be precise. The opening 4 games : 2 wins 2 draws

Southend [A] 1-1

Brighton [H] 2-1

Blackburn [H] 1-0

Port Vale [A] 1-1

We beat the Gas 1-0 in game 5 before a winless streak of 6 games saw us slip back to 18th. We finished in 17th with 54 points which, I guess, most of us would accept this campaign.

City kept an unchanged line up on those opening 4 games :

Welch > Llewelyn, Bryant, Aizlewood, Scott > May, Rennie, Shleton> Allison, Taylor, Smith

If you are old enough to remember then how do you rate that side against what we have at present?

I'd go for Aizlewood ahead of Fontaine, Shelton for Johnson and alongside Trundle I would have Taylor as the fox in the box we lack at present. Do you agree?

Welch > Llewelyn, Bryant, Aizlewood, Scott > May, Rennie, Shleton> Allison, Taylor, Smith

If you are old enough to remember then how do you rate that side against what we have at present?

I'd go for Aizlewood ahead of Fontaine, Shelton for Johnson and alongside Trundle I would have Taylor as the fox in the box we lack at present. Do you agree?

Scotty (for McCalister/Orr), Shelton (for Johnson), Alison and Taylor (for Trundle and Sprole).

Headhunter, where do you get this information from? I am interested in stats like this and have a couple of the City books but this doesn't show this detail. It also says on the main site that we are in our highest position for 27 years, where do you get that detail from?

Any help you can give would be much appreciated.

Headhunter, where do you get this information from? I am interested in stats like this and have a couple of the City books but this doesn't show this detail. It also says on the main site that we are in our highest position for 27 years, where do you get that detail from?

This is always a good site for City stats hope that helps....

http://www.citystats.org.uk/default.asp

You can get this information from Soccerbase, but if you want a better view, trawl bookshops, ebay or amazon.com for: Bristol City The Modern Era - A Complete Record, by David Woods. It covers every season from 1967-68 through to December 1999 and contains teamsheets, goalscorers and times, plus a match summary, season review and match of the season.

Whilst we have started well on a few seasons in recent years at LGE.1 Level how far back do we have to go at what is now CHAMPIONSHIP to find a start like this?

Southend [A] 1-1

Brighton [H] 2-1

Blackburn [H] 1-0

Port Vale [A] 1-1

We beat the Gas 1-0 in game 5 before a winless streak of 6 games saw us slip back to 18th. We finished in 17th with 54 points which, I guess, most of us would accept this campaign.

That Blackburn game was the first I ever went to. Allison scored the winner. That season saw Lumsden sacked with us deep in trouble, and Denis Smith take over and see us to safety. It also saw Jacki, Cole & Rosenior arrive.

Whilst we have started well on a few seasons in recent years at LGE.1 Level how far back do we have to go at what is now

Of that starting 11 only Bob Taylor and possibly Martin Scott would make it into todays team.

Basso and Weale are both far better goalkeepers than Welch.

Bryant and Aizlewood were both very average.Not a patch on Carey and Fontaine.

May, Rennie and Shelton could't compete with Wilson,Elliot and Johnson.

Dave 'Smudger' Smith was a flyer but very inconsistant.

Wayne Allison - big target man.Very one-dimesional.

Of that starting 11 only Bob Taylor and possibly Martin Scott would make it into todays team.

Agree with all of that except Matt Bryant, I would have played him in front of fontaine yesterday, different types of players I know, but I think we are missing Mccombe winning first headers and Bryant used to do that well.

You Reds!

Gary Johnson will be the greatest achieving Englishman since His Excellency Oliver Cromwell if he gets us promotion. Just think of the position we were in 2 years ago when Gary took over - on our way down to join the Gas in the bottom flight !!!!!!! I'm well up for liberation from BCFC playing non top flight football. Gary Johnson is the man to liberate us.

Sorry, disagree regarding Shelton. He was a great little player and would give us something more than we currently have.

Southend [A] 1-1

Brighton [H] 2-1

Blackburn [H] 1-0

Port Vale [A] 1-1

Trundle/Taylor that would be a nice pair

Smith was as good (fast) as Murray/Sproule/McIndoe

Martin Scott is the best City full back (and we have had a few good ones) in my memory

Gary Shelton was class and would certainly complement our midfield squad options...

Otherwise I'd settle for our current squad

I'd have them both in my first XI

Agreed

I wouldn't say there's much difference although Carey is the best of the four at present

Whoa there-Way Off-We could really do with Shelton as an attacking midfielder and he'd compliment Elliott in the same way that he did Rennie.Rennie was a better header of the ball and long rannge passer than any of the current crop and May was creative and a goal scorer

I'd swap him for McIndoe tomorrow on what I've seen

Agreed Taylor & Trundle for me-Not the quickest or the tallest but 55-65 goals a season.

I reckon "Super" Bob was better than any of the strikers we have now. Didn't he score over 30 one season even though he missed something like the last eight games? Can't imagine any of the current squad achieving that. I also think Smith was unique in City players in that he seemed to be able to cross the ball very accurately while still travelling at speed and didn't have to check back. I don't think he was as fast as Scott Murray, Sproule or Wilson but he was certainly more precise with the crosses. Of course it may be that the balls were different then and didn't bend all over the place like those used today!

Archived