IGNORED

Most Memorable City Game

Jody Mortimer

don't know if it has been done before but wondering what everyones most memorable game is.....

mine has to be CITY v liverpool at anfield

what a night that was watching the tinman sink the ball into the left hand corner of the goal in front of the kop.

Hmmmm.....I've seen all these games and plenty more memorable ones too, such as the 1st Wembley appearance against Bolton.

But the most memorable just has to be THAT game away at Coventry. 15,000 City fans in the ground, 2-0 down and facing relagation, coming back to 2-2 and taunting the Cov fans that they would be going down, and then the farcical last 10 mins when both teams knew they were safe. Every possible emotion was experienced that day!

All rounded off with a brick through the coach window as we left Coventry!

(Oh yes, I was on the local news too as we waited for the coaches at AG.)

How about the 2-1 FA Cup win at Eastvile - We were in Div 4, they were over-confident, two late goals from Tom Ritchie and Martyn Hirst. Or the 1-0 at AG with the last minute goal from Donowa.

Personal favourites are the 1-0 at Anfield and the 1985 Wembley win against Bolton.

Away to Cardiff, 3-1 win, Xmas '01

Perfect.

Hell yeah, me too! That was unbelievable. We were copping so much stick from Cardiff at half time then Murray and Matthews scored three times in seven minutes so send the 2,000 of us there into sheer bedlam! I remember thinking I'd broken my ankle celebrating the first, was in mild pain celebrating the second and was fully cured when the third went in. Magic!

Oxford away 0-0, i think it was 99.

Worst game of football ever witnessed and haunts me to this day.

Indeed it was. Absolutely freezing, open end terracing and the worst two sides i've ever seen!

Now Mansfield away, that is definitely the greatest City game of all time. Two red cards, penalties, ridiculous goals and an absolute screamer from Roberts.

Singing 'can we play you every week' back to the mansfield fans, who had sang it to us 5 minutes earlier. Priceless.

:dancing2::dancing6:

The old Freight Rover semi final against Hereford to get us to Wembley for the first ever time, was the greatest buzz I can remember. 2-0 down from the first leg. Extra time, them hitting the bar.

Who'll ever forget Stevie Nev's winner ????????

Beating the unbeatable Leeds Utd 0-1, super Donnie Gillies !

The 2-2 at Coventry was one hell of a night, as was the Pompey promotion night, and so many others I've forgot about over the years.

Memories...the odd flirtation with glory.....broken hearts....a far cry from yesteryear....jumpers as goalposts....football isn't it...? Marvellous.

The old Freight Rover semi final against Hereford to get us to Wembley for the first ever time, was the greatest buzz I can remember. 2-0 down from the first leg. Extra time, them hitting the bar.

Who'll ever forget Stevie Nev's winner ????????

Beating the unbeatable Leeds Utd 0-1, super Donnie Gillies !

The 2-2 at Coventry was one hell of a night, as was the Pompey promotion night, and so many others I've forgot about over the years.

Memories...the odd flirtation with glory.....broken hearts....a far cry from yesteryear....jumpers as goalposts....football isn't it...? Marvellous.

Beating Leeds 1-0 remember it like it was yesterday played during the Miners strike if I remember rightly!

Liverpool 0 City 1 that night was magic for me as my son was the CIty mascot. Mansfield away and beating Hartlepool to get to the play off final. Happy days ooh and any victory over the Gas and there were so many.

How about the 2-1 FA Cup win at Eastvile - We were in Div 4, they were over-confident, two late goals from Tom Ritchie and Martyn Hirst.

Probably this club's greatest ever result considering the circumstances. We were Div 4 having just recovered from near oblivion and the Gas were a division above and c**k sure of victory. Then the miracle happened - we beat the Gas at Eastville to knock 'em out of the Cup. 'ello......

City Are Back

My personal favourite - City vs Forest circa I think 1978. Game finished 1-1 with a fantastic Jimmy Mann goal smacked into the top corner of the East End goal past Peter Shilton. This was when Forest were European Champions, and I recall that Shilton hadn't conceded a goal in some huge number of games.

I was a schoolboy standing behind the goal with all my mates. That moment was absolutely magic! Also remember taunting Shilton about Paul Cheesley, and throwing pork pies at him! Pork Pies were thrown into the crowd as a promotion. No health & safety in those days. Also.... the hotpanted cheerleader girls with the goosebumps doing the half time entertainment.

Aaaah those were the days! It just ain't the same any more!

Beating Leeds 1-0 remember it like it was yesterday played during the Miners strike if I remember rightly!

I'm with you on that one Kate.

Must have been about 1973.

We had drawn 1-1 at home and had an afternoon kick off for the replay as floodlights weren't allowed due to the miners strike and the 3 day week.

Leeds were top of division 1 (equivalent to todays Prem.) and hadn't lost for 28 or 29 games, we go up there and beat them 1-0 with a Donnie Gillies goal.

Hanging on after that and barely getting out of our own penalty area made it the longest game I can ever remember.

Unbelievable feeling at the final whistle.

Because I am a sad old git...I can say (with the exception of Cardif 3-1 away) I was at all of these games....Nightmare realization of age and how much money that has been spent by me and my family.

However I was always quite partial to last home game 77 season V Liverpool (Already Champions) being 1-0 down and coming back to win 2-1 thus setting up the coventry scenario....(30 years ago).... :noexpression:

By the way Superbob the 'League cup semi-final, should've won'. would that be Forest 89 or Spurs 71....

My personal top 3 are....

1) Derby away, early 90's. Won 4-3 it had everything, brilliant day out.

2) Liverpool away, what a night. The game wasnt great as i spent most of it watching a clock go very very slowly.

3) Chelsea home (fa cup). As someones already mentioned this was played on a boggy pitch which we got stuck into, and in all honesty don't think chelsea really fancied.

Probably the best game turner played for us.

To many to mention but one that will always live long in my memory is Carlisle away last season.

We were so far from home yet there was so many of us and the atmosphere was fantastic.

It was a superb fighting performance from the boys. Ruddy played like he had played for us all season, McCombes last ditch tackle and Orr's cross come shot goal. The final whistle was blown and it was the first time in 8 long years I had felt that this was finally going to be our year. Promotion was within touching distance.

For me promotion was won at Carlisle and I'm glad I was there.

Because I am a sad old git...I can say (with the exception of Cardif 3-1 away) I was at all of these games....Nightmare realization of age and how much money that has been spent by me and my family.

However I was always quite partial to last home game 77 season V Liverpool (Already Champions) being 1-0 down and coming back to win 2-1 thus setting up the coventry scenario....(30 years ago).... :noexpression:

By the way Superbob the 'League cup semi-final, should've won'. would that be Forest 89 or Spurs 71....

That would be Forest '89. not quite old enough for '71! Still should've won

Most memorable will be the Liverpool game. I was with Liverpool supporters in the grandstand behind the dug outs and remember losing myself when Tins scored and around a thousand Liverpool fans stood up and stared at me. A frightening moment mixed with joy.

At the end of the game I shook so many hands and many said that would be the final nail in Souness's coffin and they were absolutely right.

The most memorable worst performance was away to Derby in the early '90s. I think we lost 5-0 and were around 3-0 down at half time. I remember after half time they scored another and all us City fans started to do the conga and chanting "we want 5". When they got 5 we all jumped up and cheered as if we had just scored. A bizzare day but a good laugh.

MM

Ok I'm in for this one...ummmmmm.....BRFC....1

BCFC...0 At the mem...Yep our cup final which meant nothing to you but loads to us..which then set us up for our final push towards wemberleee...ok i,ll go away now..byeee

just proves how sad your lot are! In a season of promotion via the play offs at the new Wembley, A final at the Millenium Stadium and an unbeaten run of about 12 games, your highlight of the season was a 1-0 win over us in a worthless tin pot trophy game?! SAD BAR-STEWARDS!

just proves how sad your lot are! In a season of promotion via the play offs at the new Wembley, A final at the Millenium Stadium and an unbeaten run of about 12 games, your highlight of the season was a 1-0 win over us in a worthless tin pot trophy game?! SAD BAR-STEWARDS!

May want to turn the sarcasm detector on Giles.....

I have many favourites but the ones I remember most were:

1) the away play off fixture at Wallsall after we had lost 3-1 at the gate. We won 2-0! Was such a great feeling

Unfortunately we lost the toss, and lost the next game 4-0!!! (DAMN YOU DAVID KELLY!)

2) Going mad in the Forest away end when Paul Mardon scored in the League cup semi final.....it was a sea of inflatable bananas!!

3) Beating Hereford at home 3-0 in the FRT Semi when I was a young un in the east end with me dad is my third

Archived