IGNORED

Most Memorable City Game

Jody Mortimer

Beating Leeds 1-0 remember it like it was yesterday played during the Miners strike if I remember rightly!

Liverpool 0 City 1 that night was magic for me as my son was the CIty mascot. Mansfield away and beating Hartlepool to get to the play off final. Happy days ooh and any victory over the Gas and there were so many.

Definitely the Leeds game for me, on a Tuesday afternoon due to Miners strike and power cuts, in front of 47k at Elland Road. Bunked off school as a 13 year old to be there........

Other than that the 2-2 Cov game was a great night.

It has to be the whole league cup run of 89 managed all games home and away walshies goal after 90 seconds at bradford then hitting the post in front of the east end in the second leg against forest, oh boy we should have beat them still argue with forest fans at work over that game. The mansfield game liverpool home and away wembely games ill never forget but that league cup run made me truly proud to be red and that feeling hasnt gone yet! :chant6ez:

City 4 - Blackburn 2. Guess it would have been 1991 or there abouts.

My first live professional football game, and I made the journey to the gate by bus from Frome, with some friends. Goals, comebacks, exciting wingers. I was hooked!

Can anyone give me the exact date and goalscorers?

Leeds United at AG in 1976 - because it was my first ever City game. Was actually called off at half time because of dense fog, but will always be my most memorable game.

my mate whose a leeds and city fan invited me along for that game..remember it well..couldnt see the leeds fans but could hear them..quite eerie..also the year i left school..

just proves how sad your lot are! In a season of promotion via the play offs at the new Wembley, A final at the Millenium Stadium and an unbeaten run of about 12 games, your highlight of the season was a 1-0 win over us in a worthless tin pot trophy game?! SAD BAR-STEWARDS!

hey shall i let you into a secret?...i wasnt even at the mem for the city game,i run my club on a tuesday so had to listen to it on the radio,just thought i,d get a few to bite..and they have(well not too many anyway).. :surrender:

Guess this all depends on how you interpret a "game" to be "memorable"

Is it the score?

whats riding on the outcome?

coming back from behind?

First game/s?

Apart from being at near enough every game mentioned on thread so far

I remember Newport away in 82 - wondering if we would get a second half

Coming back from 2 down at home to Warsaw with ten men - 80's not sure when -

Promotion at Chester

Relegation from Div 1 at home to Southampton 79

Relgation from the other Div 1 at CREWE circa 92

Riot at Reading (84 I think?)

1-0 at Barnsley on a Sunday under Wilson to keep in with a shout for auto promo

Opening day HT from Thorpe at Northampton

Debut 4 goals from Joe Royle v Boro (where IS he now?)

my first game in 71

What about Memorable moments in games

Seeing a young chap called Cole scoring his first goal for us at Cardiff

Watching Gow & Mcilroy get sent off for scrapping v Man Ure - I was right by the tunnel and they kept at it all the way

Peacocks penalty at Cambridge - ball is still bouncing down a road somewhere in cambridgeshire - larf i nearly s~@t

Soccer specials to Man city & Stoke in the 70's - Plymouth in later years

The list is endless - the memories like the games seem as if they were only last week

which is strange because I cant recall other things going on in my life aound the same time - but always remember the footy moments

Has to be forrest away in the littlewoods cup, can remember in the pub before kick off near the ground being raided by the police and their announcer telling the city fans to please calim down after we scored, and as soon as we did someone would start us all off again

OR Sheff utd at home in the old style play offs, full house,red hot weather great game

99% sure that that was my first match as well.....

My memorable games

1. City 3 Rotherham 1 - just remember the sick feeling I had disappearing when Nobes first goal went in

2. The play off semi final - it still sends shivers down my spine even now

3. City 4 Tranmere 0 - my first game as a season ticket holder and that goal from Luke Wilkshire!

For atmoshere alone i'd put Bradford City away in the Littlewoods Cup Quarter Final 1989.

Alan Walsh scored after 86 seconds and a splendid rearguard performance followed.

City fans were superb that night, i couldt talk for about 3 days after that.

All the usual ones stand out aswell, Forest, Liverpool, Chelsea etc.

Although another superb day out was when we lost 4-0 away at Bury surprisingly enough.

Beating the Gas 3-2 in front of the Sky cameras on a Friday just before Christmas a few years back. They scored after about 20 seconds, we hit 3 in the second half then they got one towards the end to make it nervy.

Other than that, Hartlepool in the playoffs, winning at Reading away on a Friday night (think Matthews scored) and the 1-0 win at Barnsley on a Bank Holiday Sunday which kept our auto promotion hopes alive.

Drawing one all at sunderland in what is now championship. Remember being battered for ninety minutes phillips missed pen and we all sag when we crossed halfway line and then suddenly in the last minute anderson pops up with a pearler. Remember two blokes falling down the aisles in celebration picking them up, and all they said to me was sod the headache we have scored give them mackems some stick.

Happy days must of been only 500 of us there and it was live on sky, interview was on the tv screen under stand after and all you could here was city fans cheering when they talked to Keith Welch. Stupid stewards turnt off tvs to get us out of ground.

In no particular order:

1 - winning 1-0 against Bradford in League Cup. Ralph Milne sat next to us in stand - mind you spent we spent most of game stood on seats after Walshy goal. Remember commentator saying summat like "he could have brought his grandmother on" when Jordan replaced himself with Carl Shutt

2 - play-off semi-final the previous season away v Sheff Utd when Shutt scored and we sent them down. Remember the bouncers outside the Crucible cheering coaches as we went by - methinks they may have been Sheff Wed fans!

3 - winning at Anfield in FA Cup. Taxi driver who took us to game wanted us to win even though a Liverpool fan - he'd sent his season ticket renewal form back with "not required until Souness ######s off" written across it!

4 - that Hartlepool win - the most the Dolman has every shook!

5 - Boro and Carlisle away last season - taking my nephew and niece (who live in North Yorkshire) to both games and celebrating like crazy with them each time City scored. Two new City exiles!

6 - Phillips penalty save to relegate the gas

7- Donowa's goal to beat them 1-0 - could almost taste the hatred between the the two teams that night

Mine has to be the famous 2-2 draw at Coventry City Thursday 19th May 1977 .. It was two days before my 15th Birthday i went to the game with my older brother and his mate Austin Sheppard the ex Bristol and England rugby player.. I had knocked off school that day like many others in my class. In the ground i actually bumped into the teacher who was supposed to be teaching me that afternoon and we both agreed to say no more about that fact we had both played truant that day...

There was a hugh crowd over 36,000 with an estimated 15,000 from Bristol. I spent nearly all game on Shep's shoulders so i could see the game clearly.. People behind me weren't too happy about me being in there way but who was going to argue with a bloke as big as Shep :laugh:

After the final whistle the 2-2 draw was enough to save both clubs from relegation that season and relegate Sunderland who had lost at Everton.

The atmosphere was electric that night the best i have ever witnessed and there were amazing scenes outside the ground with the Reds and the Sky Blues partying together in the streets for hours after the game GOOD TIMES ........

Mine has to be the famous 2-2 draw at Coventry City Thursday 19th May 1977 .. It was two days before my 15th Birthday i went to the game with my older brother and his mate Austin Sheppard the ex Bristol and England rugby player.. I had knocked off school that day like many others in my class. In the ground i actually bumped into the teacher who was supposed to be teaching me that afternoon and we both agreed to say no more about that fact we had both played truant that day...

There was a hugh crowd over 36,000 with an estimated 15,000 from Bristol. I spent nearly all game on Shep's shoulders so i could see the game clearly.. People behind me weren't too happy about me being in there way but who was going to argue with a bloke as big as Shep :laugh:

After the final whistle the 2-2 draw was enough to save both clubs from relegation that season and relegate Sunderland who had lost at Everton.

The atmosphere was electric that night the best i have ever witnessed and there were amazing scenes outside the ground with the Reds and the Sky Blues partying together in the streets for hours after the game GOOD TIMES ........

The amazing thing about that day, that some of the younger ones on here may not be aware of, is that the game kicked off late because of crowd congestion, which meant that the other relegation game that evening Everton v Sunderland had kicked off 15 minutes earlier than ours.

The City v Cov game was 2-2 when the other result Everton 1 Sunderland 0 ( I think) was flashed up on the scoreboard (thanks Jimmy Hill) which meant that Sunderland would be relegated if our game stayed at 2-2.

The players obviously knew this as well, so they basically stopped playing. City had the ball in our own half and were passing it amongst each other, with all of the Coventry players refusing to cross the half way line. The ref knew this wasn't going to change so he blew up five minutes early.

the rotherham game when we clinched promotion was just the biggest outpouring of relief and joy ive experienced as a city fan. having watched us since 1998ish this was really the first bit of tangible success id witnessed. it was worth the wait!

others which were great:

2-1 win at swindon (cant stand that mob) with peacock scoring a belter of a free kick

1-0 at doncaster last season

2-2 at m'boro - went completely nuts when mccombe equalised

3-1 at cardiff :D

3-1 at chesterfield last season - id always seen us lose up there and we were brilliant first half.

4-0 at home v reading a few years back - dani rodrigeus broke his leg but we were absolutely on fire!

3-1 at carlisle - the 2nd half summed up for me how much gary johnson has turned us around. a comeback of passion, desire, bottle and some cracking football, too.

unfortunately missed the 5-4 at mansfield but switched the radio on with us having just made it 4-3. i hadnt finished celebrating lita's equaliser in the 95th min, to hear roberts blast in the winner. the stuff of dreams.

don't know if it has been done before but wondering what everyones most memorable game is.....

mine has to be CITY v liverpool at anfield

what a night that was watching the tinman sink the ball into the left hand corner of the goal in front of the kop.

mine is the game years back when paul cheesley had that terrible injury against stoke city.that was such a cruel blow to his career.i cant remember what year that was?

the rotherham game when we clinched promotion was just the biggest outpouring of relief and joy ive experienced as a city fan. having watched us since 1998ish this was really the first bit of tangible success id witnessed. it was worth the wait!

others which were great:

2-1 win at swindon (cant stand that mob) with peacock scoring a belter of a free kick

1-0 at doncaster last season

2-2 at m'boro - went completely nuts when mccombe equalised

3-1 at cardiff :D

3-1 at chesterfield last season - id always seen us lose up there and we were brilliant first half.

4-0 at home v reading a few years back - dani rodrigeus broke his leg but we were absolutely on fire!

3-1 at carlisle - the 2nd half summed up for me how much gary johnson has turned us around. a comeback of passion, desire, bottle and some cracking football, too.

unfortunately missed the 5-4 at mansfield but switched the radio on with us having just made it 4-3. i hadnt finished celebrating lita's equaliser in the 95th min, to hear roberts blast in the winner. the stuff of dreams.

Archived