IGNORED

New Stadium, Ashton Gate Revamp, Or Nothing?

Kingswood Village

Just reading some of the other threads on the board, and it has been mentioned that City are looking at the possibility of building a brand new stadium "not far from Ashton Gate". Does anyone actually know this, or are people merely speculating?

Personally, I would be in favour of moving to a brand new ground, provided that it was in South Bristol, and that some thought was given to the design, as opposed to building a boring identikit lego brick ground such as Reading, Swansea, Leicester, Saints etc.

What do you think?

As far as I know, we are rebuilding the EE at the end of this season and The Williams by 2010 thus taking the ground to 29,000.That was the last I heard officialy from CS.

There has been talk about going back to a two tier, EE but that's all it's been and I've seen nothing official.

In terms of a new stadium, MK Dons cost £42m and the proposed work at AG will cost £16-20m given the way BFCS's Supply Chain Management works, it'll probably be closer to £20m!

Give that differential, I would suggest that it is highly unlikely we'll move to another Site in South Bristol or anywhere else barring a benefactor or very significant long term sponsorship.

Just reading some of the other threads on the board, and it has been mentioned that City are looking at the possibility of building a brand new stadium "not far from Ashton Gate". Does anyone actually know this, or are people merely speculating?

Personally, I would be in favour of moving to a brand new ground, provided that it was in South Bristol, and that some thought was given to the design, as opposed to building a boring identikit lego brick ground such as Reading, Swansea, Leicester, Saints etc.

What do you think?

Filwood playing fields would be great, don't forget to lock your cars though

I would rather see Ashton gate developed personally. I agree that most of these new stadiums are completely soulless and if we did go down that route I hope we would do something a bit different. But for me the ideal way to go is to develop one stand at a time and spread the cost whilst continuing to spend and strengthen the team on the field.

I'd absolutely hate to leave Ashton Gate to move to a purpose built stadium on the outskirts of the city. In fact, I voted no to Hengrove Stadium when the council asked my opinion. The Gate is home, I just couldn't imagine going to see City every week at a different stadium.

It's redevelopment every time for me.

As far as I know, we are rebuilding the EE at the end of this season and The Williams by 2010 thus taking the ground to 29,000.That was the last I heard officialy from CS.

There has been talk about going back to a two tier, EE but that's all it's been and I've seen nothing official.

In terms of a new stadium, MK Dons cost £42m and the proposed work at AG will cost £16-20m given the way BFCS's Supply Chain Management works, it'll probably be closer to £20m!

Give that differential, I would suggest that it is highly unlikely we'll move to another Site in South Bristol or anywhere else barring a benefactor or very significant long term sponsorship.

What you may have overlooked in your argument is the sale of the land at AG and the cost of land elsewhere. Should the former be significantly higher than the latter then the board may consider it good business to move.

While in principal I would echo other posters in saying 'lets stay at AG at all costs' the other option surely has to be investigated; more land and lower cost, opportunity to build in to it other commercial activities, have better parking, easier access and, like most other clubs who have done the same, attract larger gates.

What do you think?

Prefer Ashton Gate to be re-developed, apparently the powers that be were looking at WBA's ground a while back to see what they've done on a site similar to the size of the land at our ground. I think their new capacity is around the 28,000 mark. Also land next to the park & ride by the Long Ashton by-pass has been mentioned by the rumour mill a while back.

Like all of you I too love The gate, but once the EE is developed there isn't really much more space after that. A move may be the only option.....but some day in the future!

yes 29k is a good cpacity at this level but should we get to the promised land (I BELIEVE HOPE ALL DAY) we would surley need to get even bigger.

I expect the BIG GAME only fans would surely come out every week then!

Allas Happy and Sad scnario...Happy we're in the premiership Sad we may need to say goodbye to The Gate for progress sake!

But for now I say stay as we are and stay at the Gate.

As for Thornbury an option and right on my doorstep I still say nah!!!!! I come all the way from Littlestoke

(Real Rovers Turf)

just next to thornbury and even on first day of the season and balloon fiesta day, I left at 12pm and still got down to Ashton in half an hour. Found my parking space i have used everytime for years (not telling you where) and still had time for a few tinnys and a kick about in the park!

I just hope the board don't get a little to excited at the present time and think we need to move straight away now we are promoted. I don't want us to look like the Coventry fans did at the Ricoh (FA CUP 3RRply) last year. A lovely new stadium with more capacity but the fans looking lost in a mass of empty seats!

I believe Wigan Athletic even have the problem now but thats another conversation starter!

Stay at The Gate which is home and lets have this new stadium argument once the Championship Cement is set in a few years!

What you may have overlooked in your argument is the sale of the land at AG and the cost of land elsewhere. Should the former be significantly higher than the latter then the board may consider it good business to move.

If the numbers stacked up fine but unless we move to some brownfield site near Severn Beach or Amth I can't see a £20m plus price differential on a like for like basis.

While in principal I would echo other posters in saying 'lets stay at AG at all costs' the other option surely has to be investigated; more land and lower cost, opportunity to build in to it other commercial activities, have better parking, easier access and, like most other clubs who have done the same, attract larger gates.

Totally agree it's a business as well as emotional decision.

I guess that for around 40m investment we'd get the sort of 30-40,000 seat indentikit stadium a la MK Dons, Derby, Leicester, Saints etc. To get something more "ïndividual" as people here seem to mentioning, I would imagine we'd have to cough up at least another 10mill.

Personally, I'm definately pro staying at the Gate, as seems to be the plan. Much more interestingly architecturally, within walking distance of the centre, loads of pubs around, plus of course the history and tradition.

Currently planning my trip to Cov next week. Notice the ground is 3 miles out of town, with no places to eat or drink around it (and like many, the idea of having pre-match drinks in a concrete concourse ain't too appealing). To me that isn't great progress.

Edit: Reading this again, the "concrete concourse" could also refer to Cov city centre! Not the prettiest city in England...

What do you think?

SL reported at the shareholders meeting that they were looking to obtain some land near AG, not for a new stadium, but for new training facilities.

What do you think?

IMO we need to stay at the gate and redevelop as needs be. We need to replace the EE however as soon as poss (sorry EE lovers) because quite frankly it is a scar on the face of AG if its not being used for home fans as it should be.

We must remember that we don't fill the stadium at present, so whats the point in moving to a shiny but half empty 30K+ stadium in the middle of the sticks?

If, and its a big if, we should manage to get into the PREM and stay there, we can then begin to think about new stadiums. For the next decade however, AG is more than sufficient enough, as we can always fill in any corners of the ground to increase capacity.

Its a gamble to stay at AG, Bristol City Council will not let us develop our ground to the extent we need to in order to host top flight football because they are all **** Sags in the planning department, plus you have all the to55ers living around the Gate who will oppose it, just for something to do.

To build a stadium with 35'000 seats will cost a fortune where ever you build it, £20m will be more like £50m.

So what will happen is absolutely nothing until we are in the Premiership, if we ever get there...

So I say leave it exactly how it is.....for now.

I would vote to redevelop AG after all it has been home for all but a couple of years.

I do not like the idea of a new stadium such as the prefab that is readings or saints from the outside they look to much like a state of the art tescos.

the players and us fans would need to settle into the new surroundings and may hinder our progress forward.

Lets be honest, were in no position to command a ground that would hold anything over 30k anyway. If the current site is able to accomodate that attendance then thats where were going to be for decades to come. The Williams and Dolman can be rebuilt to modern specs whilst maintaining the capacity. The only way i can see us leaving AG is we have had many years establishing ourselves in the Prem and can regularly fill the ground to that 30k capacity or above.

I would find it hard to leave AG, i still have fond memories of watching evening games from the EE seeing the Suspension Bridge all lit up in the sky over the uncovered end. What ground on Bristols outskirts could give you a view like that?

I guess that for around 40m investment we'd get the sort of 30-40,000 seat indentikit stadium a la MK Dons, Derby, Leicester, Saints etc. To get something more "ïndividual" as people here seem to mentioning, I would imagine we'd have to cough up at least another 10mill.

Personally, I'm definately pro staying at the Gate, as seems to be the plan. Much more interestingly architecturally, within walking distance of the centre, loads of pubs around, plus of course the history and tradition.

Currently planning my trip to Cov next week. Notice the ground is 3 miles out of town, with no places to eat or drink around it (and like many, the idea of having pre-match drinks in a concrete concourse ain't too appealing). To me that isn't great progress.

Edit: Reading this again, the "concrete concourse" could also refer to Cov city centre! Not the prettiest city in England...

NiceRed,

I was recently at the Micoh and there are pubs - make for the big Tesco's behind the ground. Just behind there (away from the ground) there is a main road with pubs on it! - easier to park there too in the cul-de-sacs.

IMO we need to stay at the gate and redevelop as needs be. We need to replace the EE however as soon as poss (sorry EE lovers) because quite frankly it is a scar on the face of AG if its not being used for home fans as it should be.

I actually think that the Williams stand is at least as much of a scar as the east end. It is fairly obvious that before long we must replace both the east end and the williams, which is what the club have mooted in the past. Personally I think it would be good to get something sorted sooner rather than later as although small, the new Rugby ground will be up to date and offer good facilities so we must continue to be superior to the gas off the pitch as well as on it.............

Lets be honest, were in no position to command a ground that would hold anything over 30k anyway. If the current site is able to accomodate that attendance then thats where were going to be for decades to come. The Williams and Dolman can be rebuilt to modern specs whilst maintaining the capacity. The only way i can see us leaving AG is we have had many years establishing ourselves in the Prem and can regularly fill the ground to that 30k capacity or above.

I would find it hard to leave AG, i still have fond memories of watching evening games from the EE seeing the Suspension Bridge all lit up in the sky over the uncovered end. What ground on Bristols outskirts could give you a view like that?

It has to be much more than our original capacity or why bother doing it? to spend 40m on an extra 10000 seats makes no sense at all and wouldn't be a financial worthwhile, even considering the better facility's that will come with it. the club would never raise the money. if were going to be ambitious, lets be very ambitious.

Redeveloping Ashton Gate is what I would prefur at the moment. Knock down the East End at the end of this season and rebuild it into a nice, modern stand with good sound able to be made. Then the Williams can be done, and by the time that is done we may be in a totally different position to what we are in now. To start with though I think work definatelly has to start on the EE as soon as possible, end of this season being mentioned I'm sure.

It has to be much more than our original capacity or why bother doing it? to spend 40m on an extra 10000 seats makes no sense at all and wouldn't be a financial worthwhile, even considering the better facility's that will come with it. the club would never raise the money. if were going to be ambitious, lets be very ambitious.

Well our capacity now is around 20k. The figures above say 20m for a 10k increase which would include 2 or 3 new stands i assume. That to me seems as much as we would need for the next decade for starters. Were currently just not a big enough or rich enough club to justify more than that.

Given that we can build up to 29,000 I find it (unfotuantly) unlikely a move will be in offing for many years to come. The talk over the last few years has been about making Ashton Gate profitable by having use 7 days a week. I can't imagine many places in a better posistion to do this at this momement that are available. Indeed the only realistic areas are Keynsham and north Bristol, the latter out of the question and the former a planning nightmare, although not as unrealistic as some may think, especially with a certain rugby club far from secure in that district.............

Looking at South Bristol, I think it is reasonable to think that the oppotunity for a new ground will become more feasable as the South Bristol Regeneration kicks in, namly the South Bristol ring road which is far far far away from even becomi9ng close to a reality. Given that south Bristol is going to change greatly in the next couple of decades maybe we'll see something happen because of that.

Personaly I think Ashton Gate looks tired, is a bugger to get to and from. A great many chairman have said it is more cost effective to build new stadiums rather than rebuild, and looking at Liverpools new ground it proves there is no need to go for the tired 90's model of plastic bowls.

What do you think?

To answer your first question - no it is not speculation there are discussions underway about a piece of land not far from AG, within the Bristol boundary where there is the potential for a new stadium, with initial capacity around 30K but expansiont o 40K easy to do. Cost would be greater than redeveloping AG but would avoid the disruption of redevelopment - when you redo the Williams you have to move a lot of fans around and reduce your existing capacity - is that really something we would want to do at the moment.

Whilst new grounds can be soulless, they provide excellent facilities for fans, better conference/corporate facilities so the club can make more revenue. If the location is accessible and the business plan stacks up then why not?

Given that we can build up to 29,000 I find it (unfotuantly) unlikely a move will be in offing for many years to come. The talk over the last few years has been about making Ashton Gate profitable by having use 7 days a week. I can't imagine many places in a better posistion to do this at this momement that are available. Indeed the only realistic areas are Keynsham and north Bristol, the latter out of the question and the former a planning nightmare, although not as unrealistic as some may think, especially with a certain rugby club far from secure in that district.............

Looking at South Bristol, I think it is reasonable to think that the oppotunity for a new ground will become more feasable as the South Bristol Regeneration kicks in, namly the South Bristol ring road which is far far far away from even becomi9ng close to a reality. Given that south Bristol is going to change greatly in the next couple of decades maybe we'll see something happen because of that.

Personaly I think Ashton Gate looks tired, is a bugger to get to and from. A great many chairman have said it is more cost effective to build new stadiums rather than rebuild, and looking at Liverpools new ground it proves there is no need to go for the tired 90's model of plastic bowls.

I take your points on board, but it's the last one that puts me off a new build.

The sh!te constructed in the 90's was awful and i've never seen a nice one (Mill Stad accepted). The problem is they're very cheap and to design something original and connstruct it out of something that looks nice (brick and stone, there's a nevelty!!!) would cost so much more. I sometimes look at Villa park with the steps leading up to the entrance and the main face built out of dark bricks and think god that's a beautiful ground.

A new ground has many plus points, but ultimately cost restraints would ensure it's a plastc, prefabricated mess.

Archived