IGNORED

Most Memerable.....for The Wrong Reasons!

ooRya

Oh yes, and I the play off semi final against Cardiff the previous year. The away leg at Ninian Park. I was in with the home fans on that cr@ppy open concrete terrace, getting p!ssed on by the rain. Cardiff fans were very hostile. So bad that I was intimidated into clapping when they scored their goal, in case I got outed for being a ciderhead and subsequently murdered. Pretty miserable.

Brighton obviously springs to mind, as does 6-1 and 5-1 defeats against wolves in recent years

one that i'll always remember that doesn't seem to have been mentioned is the Play-offs against Walsall in the late 80's, utterly gutting!!!

in general though, ANY game that David Kelly played against us was a BAD DAY for City

Oh yes, and I the play off semi final against Cardiff the previous year. The away leg at Ninian Park. I was in with the home fans on that cr@ppy open concrete terrace, getting p!ssed on by the rain. Cardiff fans were very hostile. So bad that I was intimidated into clapping when they scored their goal, in case I got outed for being a ciderhead and subsequently murdered. Pretty miserable.

now this is entertainment..love this ..know the feeling about being in an away end...not good eh?

I agree with everyone else about the play off final. Clearly that was the biggest collective City downer probably ever, because of our expectations etc. A few bad ones in the Tinman era. Anyone remember Luton away under Tinnion? 0-5 wasn't it? I left early to go home at 4-0 and could here the cheers echoing down that strange terraced street outside Kennilworth road as they scored their 5th. That was a totally inept performance, although perhaps topped for incompetence by the subsequent Swansea game (which I didn't attend).

Can't remember any bad games from the 70s and 80s which is odd really as we got relegated 3 times on the trot. Rose tinted glasses on my older memories I suppose.

I only get to a few games each season, and unfortunately that Luton away was one of them that season. Wretched day out in a ground that is a sh1thole in a town that is not much better.

Playoff final ,that day was one of the worst days of my life ,had a bad feeling about it as soon as I woke up .The journey there was ok & had a few beers on arrival in Cardiff but was too nervous to enjoy them.The game as we all know was a complete letdown but the journey home was hell.One bloke on our coach took ages to return so we left Cardiff along with the Brighton Coaches ,cars ,vans etc .we then spent the next 3 hours stuck on the Motorway along side the celebrating ,p1sstaking Brighton supporters.Basically crawling at a snails pace passing & being passed by the same coaches ,it was like a horrible nightmare .The Brighton fans were taking great delight in our predicament .I hate Brighton now but mostly I hate the guy who got back to the coach so late & put us in that position .

Brighton obviously springs to mind, as does 6-1 and 5-1 defeats against wolves in recent years

one that i'll always remember that doesn't seem to have been mentioned is the Play-offs against Walsall in the late 80's, utterly gutting!!!

in general though, ANY game that David Kelly played against us was a BAD DAY for City

Agree with that bit! Thought it was him that scored 4 of the goals in the 6-1 defeat but just checked Soccerbase and it was David Connolly - he was at loan at Wolves and only scored 6 goals for them so most of them were against us!

Any defeat against the dark side is hard to stomach (funnily enough the one last year was the least tough - probably cos in Mickey Mouse competition) - remember one home game when think it was Gary Smart who scored near the end in 1-0 defeat - really wanted to punch someone on way home afterwards!

OK, we've had peoples most memorable games for all the right reasons.....and some very good memories in there which I have enjoyed. (even if it has made me feel old!)

But what about the WORST memories?

A few spring to mind (too many if I'm honest!) such as losing to Brighton in the play off final a couple of years ago. But the worst memory of all for me was the season that both ourselves and R*vers got promoted to Div1, but they beat us to the title by stuffing us 3-0 at Trumpton. I have the lasting memory of walking back to the car and hearing Goodnight Irene coming from the ground every step of the way. I have NEVER felt so low!

PHILGAS - please don't feel you need to comment on this!

PS....please excuse spelling mistake in the title!

selling super bob cause we thought he wasnt good enough for the old 2nd division. His record for WBA was quality and he even scored premiership goals about 6-7- years later. WHAT A PLAYER

I remember my mate telling me the news, I was in double maths at school and had to fight back the tears. he was my hero

Is he still putting the boots on at any level now? Last I heard he was a t Tamworth

thankfully didnt attend the 7-1 at swansea, but remember my dad going and me havin to switch my phone off after he texted me after each goal went in. got home to see it was 7-1, felt totally pig-sick.

the play-off final is my single worst experience, followed by 3-0 at chesterfield - i really thought the club was going down the toilet and i just wanted to get on the pitch and strangle some of our players for their pathetic lack of fight.

others which stick out:

losing 1-0 at stoke in 2001/2-ish in the last minute. we never beat that lot!

3-0 at wycombe, a typical city performance under wilson where we went to the team bottom of the league and thought we could walk it

4-2 at home to chesterfield in the 9-game losing run was horrific, but turned out to galvanise the supporters (singing city til i die when 4-1 down...)

1-1 at home with cambridge under pulis - we had steve jones& beadle up front. will never forget him taking tinnion off in the 2nd half to a chorus of boos (tinnion was by far the best player on the pitch) - after that game i was convinced pulis was single-handedly trying to destroy city...

play-off semi defeat to cardiff. home and away.

Forget the play-off final. Yeah we had loads riding on that game, but for me it has to be the 3-0 win for the gas at Twerton, to make them champions.

I will never forget the stick Joe Jordan took that night from all us City fans (bad, I know), but the chants of 'you sold us down the river' will stay with me forever.

City 1 Wolves 5 ( or was it 6?)

Worst result by far in all the years I've been following City. I have never felt so humiliated and ashamed to be a City supporter after that shambles. It was awfull. Thank god the forum wasn't around or I'd have been banned for life!. I was so angry at the time.

The highlight of the day was scrap between the mascots.

I flew on a 7 hour Hercules flight (on top of a cargo pallet) from my home in Cyprus to the UK to watch that match, then flew 7 hours back. Overall not really a good day I hasten to add.

The play off final certainly is up there because it really was meant to be our day.

One from way back was I think on a boxing day with a defeat at Oxford 5-0. Seem to remember the harder we tried the worse the score got.

An embarassing one was a "friendly" played against a Cornish amateur 11 at St Blazey. This was right at the end of the season in which we had been relegated from the top flite. I was based at that time as a rep in Cornwall and naturally was always prattling on about the City to all my customers.

It was a horror show with again I think a 5-0 scoreline.Although our team was far from a first team line-up,but it was still a professional line-up yet was no match for an energetic,hungry,Cornish side bristling to put one over on a bunch of over-paid and rated prima donna's from over the boarder!

That one was bad. A team full of crap loan signings, totally devoid of heart or confidence. Like you, I hate that toilet of a ground, never seen us win there, and after that night I was convinced we were doomed.

Agree with you on the Chesterfield experience - compounded by me dragging 3 mates along who had no interest in City, and stated catagorically after that performance, they never would. Saltergate is a toilet, literally, considering the open air facilites in the away end.

My other low was Barnsley away new years day around '91 -

* Mother of all hang overs

* nightmare journey over the pennines

* nearly got battered pre-game by a load of mutants in The Yorkshireman for asking for cider

* Shelton sent off after 3 minutes

* losing the game by a margin, the exact nature of which escapes me

* A rubbish open air away terrace with a snack bar that ran out of hot food

* horizontal sleet and a biting cold wind you could see coming off the moors

* 2 weeks in my sick bed with seroius man flu.

For me it's got to be a 1-0 defeat to the G*s, I think on New Year's Day some time in the mid 1980s. We totally outplayed them for 89 minutes, created lots of chances and I still don't understand how we didn't score. Then a flukey long shot - must have been about their only shot of the match - flew into the top corner and we had lost :badmood: :badmood:

The play-off final in Cardiff was bad, but we deserved to lose that day.

Of games i have been to i think it would have to be the play off final. I sat in my seat for 10 minutes after the final whistle just staring straight forward with no expression on my face, totally and utterly dejected whilst hearing the Brighton fans celebrating and not knowing how to react. I had to be literally dragged out of my seat by my dad and his mate.

That i havent been to, probably the Swansea 7-1.

Although the Play Off defeat to Brighton will always stick out, there is one game that no one seems to have mentioned which sticks in my mind as the worst.

It was the 0-2 defeat to the Sags at the Gate. Beadle with both.

Firstly the atmosphere was just ugly due to the overcrowding at the turnstiles. We also managed to lose my mate's brother on the way and his Dad spent the evening tramping the streets of Ashton looking for him (the lad ended up at the back of the Dolman without even producing a ticket!!)

Then there was the fact we let them have the whole East End, the fact that Nugent should've put us 1 up earlier on. The fact that Beadle's 2nd goal was the one of the best he was ever likely to score.

Then I had to go into school the next day and take unbearable stick from the mingingest, chavviest girl in my class who was a S(l)ag.....plus the fact she left the school (no doubt to drop a sprog) and I never had the chance to dish it back when we won 4-2 at Trumpton!

Good...I feel better now. :)

Although the Play Off defeat to Brighton will always stick out, there is one game that no one seems to have mentioned which sticks in my mind as the worst.

It was the 0-2 defeat to the Sags at the Gate. Beadle with both.

Firstly the atmosphere was just ugly due to the overcrowding at the turnstiles. We also managed to lose my mate's brother on the way and his Dad spent the evening tramping the streets of Ashton looking for him (the lad ended up at the back of the Dolman without even producing a ticket!!)

Then there was the fact we let them have the whole East End, the fact that Nugent should've put us 1 up earlier on. The fact that Beadle's 2nd goal was the one of the best he was ever likely to score.

Then I had to go into school the next day and take unbearable stick from the mingingest, chavviest girl in my class who was a S(l)ag.....plus the fact she left the school (no doubt to drop a sprog) and I never had the chance to dish it back when we won 4-2 at Trumpton!

Good...I feel better now. :)

Was about to mention that one. Got into the ground really early as thought it would be crowded. Very nasty atmosphere all night. Some people in the terracing below the Dolman trying to get to the Rovers fans late on. We played absolute rubbish. I can still picture Beadle's shot screaming into the top corner from 30yds...

Also still vividly remember some late equalisers in our last relegation, notably at Loftus Rd and Hawthorns. Played well in both games but couldn't kill the game off, then QPR/WBA equalised with virtually the last kick.

For me it's got to be a 1-0 defeat to the G*s, I think on New Year's Day some time in the mid 1980s. We totally outplayed them for 89 minutes, created lots of chances and I still don't understand how we didn't score. Then a flukey long shot - must have been about their only shot of the match - flew into the top corner and we had lost :badmood: :badmood:

The play-off final in Cardiff was bad, but we deserved to lose that day.

yep i remember that one....but 4 me it was the right reasons. :innocent06:

For some strange reason losing 1-0 to Stoke at Wembley really did my head in. Those northern monkies singing that song! Play-off final was just one of the most boring games of football I've ever had the misfortune to attend, both side were an embarresment plus, Wilson completely bottled it

cant be that memorable then... we actually lost 2-1.

as for me, my most memorable moments... i'll whack some new ones in as well.

1. a tuesday night game against colchester in div1 (now championship)... we drew 1-1 and city were disgraceful. i distinctly remember city being booed off and lomano lua lua getting a standing ovation for colchester.

2. luton away, going 2-0 down, bringing it back to 2-2 in the last minute, then luton going straight up the over end to score the winner.

3. vilmos sebok scoring an own goal from the half way line away at wolves.

4. the swansea 7-1 thrashing.

5. losing 6-1 to wolves at home.

Can only be the 5-2 defeat away to Watford when the 3 A's got sent off....Atteveld,Aizelwood and Allison.

I there was me on the morning of the game explaining what a great crack it was going away to watch the City to my wife (then girlfriend)....! To make matters better I overtook a copper on the way home whilst doing 95....happy days...not...!!!

Archived