IGNORED

Most Memerable.....for The Wrong Reasons!

ooRya

OK, we've had peoples most memorable games for all the right reasons.....and some very good memories in there which I have enjoyed. (even if it has made me feel old!)

But what about the WORST memories?

A few spring to mind (too many if I'm honest!) such as losing to Brighton in the play off final a couple of years ago. But the worst memory of all for me was the season that both ourselves and R*vers got promoted to Div1, but they beat us to the title by stuffing us 3-0 at Trumpton. I have the lasting memory of walking back to the car and hearing Goodnight Irene coming from the ground every step of the way. I have NEVER felt so low!

PHILGAS - please don't feel you need to comment on this!

PS....please excuse spelling mistake in the title!

OK, we've had peoples most memorable games for all the right reasons.....and some very good memories in there which I have enjoyed. (even if it has made me feel old!)

A few spring to mind (too many if I'm honest!) such as losing to Brighton in the play off final a couple of years ago. But the worst memory of all for me was the season that both ourselves and R*vers got promoted to Div1, but they beat us to the title by stuffing us 3-0 at Trumpton. I have the lasting memory of walking back to the car and hearing Goodnight Irene coming from the ground every step of the way. I have NEVER felt so low!

If I think of bad times, this is it!

Div Four / now three. Northampton Town 7 Bristol City 1 That score on a sunday put us bottom of the football league.

Last time we were at this level. Wet Tuesday night toward the end of the season at home versus Bury. We'd had made up a few points over easter and looked like we just might make it out of the drop zone before May. Then Bury scored early, we played rubbish, it poured with rain and even though Soren Anderson grabbed a late equaliszer we looked doomed to relegation. Awful times.

For total deflation in a one-off, the play-off final is up there. As for others, the 0-4 at Twerton left me pretty flat on the drive back up the M5/M6, and though it didn't piss me off as much, the start of the Benny brave new world away at Bradford was memorable for our total cr@pness.

City 1 Wolves 5 ( or was it 6?)

Worst result by far in all the years I've been following City. I have never felt so humiliated and ashamed to be a City supporter after that shambles. It was awfull. Thank god the forum wasn't around or I'd have been banned for life!. I was so angry at the time.

The highlight of the day was scrap between the mascots.

losing to cambridge in FA Cup think it was the 3rd time of asking we.

cant remember how old i was but i was only a nipper went with my dad.

i was up on the railings giving it rock all when we equalised.

then we went and lost i was so gutted spend hours getting there both times.

Worst result by far in all the years I've been following City. I have never felt so humiliated and ashamed to be a City supporter after that shambles. It was awfull. Thank god the forum wasn't around or I'd have been banned for life!. I was so angry at the time.

That's it for me too (it was definately 1-6 BTW). I just remember being sat there numb with shock as Wolves just ran through the midfield & defensive line time and time again. For the full masochistic experience, I stayed right to the end as well (most people were sensible and left after the 3rd or 4th goal). I may be wrong, but I'm sure we even took the lead, and were either winning or level at half time.

That's it for me too (it was definately 1-6 BTW). I just remember being sat there numb with shock as Wolves just ran through the midfield & defensive line time and time again. For the full masochistic experience, I stayed right to the end as well (most people were sensible and left after the 3rd or 4th goal). I may be wrong, but I'm sure we even took the lead, and were either winning or level at half time.

The infamous Carl Hutchings scored our goal first. Thats all he was remember for. Apart from that has to be one of the worst signings weve ever made!

There are so many, even in the relatively short time I've been following City! (10 years or so)

In no particular order, the ones that spring to mind...

1) The Play-off final

2) The 7-1 loss at Swansea. It was just one of those days where everything that could possibly go wrong did wrong.

3) The 3-0 loss at Wycombe, when we had Coles and Doherty sent off. We were absolutely abysmal. Most will remember the game for 'Broomhead'!

4) The 3-0 loss at Chesterfield on a Wednesday night at the start of Johnson's time in charge. I've always absolutely hated Chesterfield and Saltergate with a passion, so that game was a complete nightmare.

5) The 5-1 defeat at Blackpool when we absolutely crumbled under the pressure and expectation. Typical of the teams we had under Wilson; complete bottlers.

:innocent06:

I remember this one well it was definately 6-1 and I remember leaving the ground in tears. Still gets to me now after all these years.

If I think of bad times, this is it!

Div Four / now three. Northampton Town 7 Bristol City 1 That score on a sunday put us bottom of the football league.

That was THE NIGHTMARE still brings tears to my eyes....

However I have so many others...

Reading away for a 3oc KO which KO'd at 1

Several match postponed on arrival..

Several 5&6-1's Sunderland at home WHU away among the worst

Gerry Gow's last game

Tom Richies last Game (first/second time)

But how about....NF away FA Cup 83ish we were all over them for most of the game winning 1-0 and lost 2-1 in the last five minutes(I was bloody inconsolable at the end)...Kevin Mabbutt was sold within a few weeks and we got relegated to the old divvy three...Anyway always remember some half witt Forest fans in our end and most of Nottingham Constab having to drag them out when Wallace got there second...

However to appreciate the highs you gota know the lows....Live it up people :rolleyes:

Play off final was bad, but worst game for me was losing 1.0 away to Spurs. Pocket picked by some scabby cockney going to the ground, Dave Rodgers own goal and a puncture on the motorway going home and couldn't undo the wheel nuts.

i went to the same game,i was only about 12,got punched by some older spurs fans who all seemed to be in the away end,had my prized city scarf nicked as well!!hated spurs ever since.....also i remember the northampton 7-1 drubbing,i went to crewe away the following week and we got stuffed again,only 4-1 at gresty road,but they were desperate times...how dark it was before the dawn!!

4) The 3-0 loss at Chesterfield on a Wednesday night at the start of Johnson's time in charge. I've always absolutely hated Chesterfield and Saltergate with a passion, so that game was a complete nightmare.

That one was bad. A team full of crap loan signings, totally devoid of heart or confidence. Like you, I hate that toilet of a ground, never seen us win there, and after that night I was convinced we were doomed.

I agree with everyone else about the play off final. Clearly that was the biggest collective City downer probably ever, because of our expectations etc. A few bad ones in the Tinman era. Anyone remember Luton away under Tinnion? 0-5 wasn't it? I left early to go home at 4-0 and could here the cheers echoing down that strange terraced street outside Kennilworth road as they scored their 5th. That was a totally inept performance, although perhaps topped for incompetence by the subsequent Swansea game (which I didn't attend).

Can't remember any bad games from the 70s and 80s which is odd really as we got relegated 3 times on the trot. Rose tinted glasses on my older memories I suppose.

Archived