IGNORED

The Premiership

rockin-robin

well for a start these top teams in the premiership are way way over rated,you know that and so do we,whats missing is passion from the top flight...too many foriegners ...too much money bla bla....when they come up against lower league teams they always struggle...why ?....look at reading wow...so as a gashead being the realistic fellow that i am anyone can reach the top,its about time we showed those premiership and "bigger clubs" that proper football rules...all this showey lets dive 4 a freekick stuff is not our football as we know it..i cant ever remember diving when i played years ago..if i was fouled then it was a bloomin foul...what I'm saying is that its about time they got found out by us lower league clubs...and you guys are ahead of us at the moment so go for it...we,ll try not to be too far behind ....

You make some great points despite being a sag Phil. I always watch the Premiership live games when they are on as ive got interest in a prem team, but i agree, the vast vast majority of them arent as passionate as players in our leagues. there is only a few players in the history of the prem that i can think of off the top of my head that are and they are John Terry, Roy Keane, Tony Adams.

Reading and Wigan are great examples of lower league success stories. Just over 10 yrs ago, Reading and Wigan were both playing each other in the bottom tier of English football. Now they are playing each other in the Prem only 10 yrs later. With both of them holding their own.

But Passion alone wont keep you up their as Watford and Sheffield United found out. They had the most passionate players and fans in the whole of the Premiership last season and they got relegated, so it just proves that money is the fine line between success and "failure". People will argue that Sheffield Utd were cheated out of the Premiership and I agree with them, but its over now, they are in the CCC, they didnt get enough points, they didnt beat Wigan when they had to so they werent good enough over the 38 games to stay up.

I think posts like this are insane.We have made a great start but it is so early to start talking in terms of this.We have all the big boys to play.Survival is still the key objective.

This post is not insane. The point being made is that the aim of BCFC for the 2007/2008 season seems to be that of finishing above the relegation zone. This is all well and good, and I would take finishing 5th last at the end of the season right now. But surely the mentality of sportsman is to "win". If players, coaches and fans believe from the start of the season that they are going to struggle, that is exactly what is going to happen.

I am not stating that we are capable, ready or prepared for the Premiership, I am just saying, why not aim for the top of the CCC and believe that we can challenge for a position in the Premiership. That way we won't begin to adopt the mentality that "the bigger clubs" are better than us and therefore adopting a losing attitude - making us half way to being beaten before even a ball is kicked.

• Admin
Reading and Wigan are great examples of lower league success stories. Just over 10 yrs ago, Reading and Wigan were both playing each other in the bottom tier of English football. Now they are playing each other in the Prem only 10 yrs later. With both of them holding their own.

I'd question they were both "great" examples. Both only made it due to rich owners & you might as well lump Fulham in with them too.

This post is not insane. The point being made is that the aim of BCFC for the 2007/2008 season seems to be that of finishing above the relegation zone. This is all well and good, and I would take finishing 5th last at the end of the season right now. But surely the mentality of sportsman is to "win". If players, coaches and fans believe from the start of the season that they are going to struggle, that is exactly what is going to happen.

I am not stating that we are capable, ready or prepared for the Premiership, I am just saying, why not aim for the top of the CCC and believe that we can challenge for a position in the Premiership. That way we won't begin to adopt the mentality that "the bigger clubs" are better than us and therefore adopting a losing attitude - making us half way to being beaten before even a ball is kicked.

Wilson and McIndoe have both already stated in World interviews that it is the players' intention to go for promotion this season. Are you supposing the coaches and players feel this way or extrapolating from fan opinion?

Why do you think those are the four worst sides? I don't think City will be anywhere near the top but I think it's unfair to say those four sides will be the worst. S****horpe have drawn with Charlton and beaten Sheff Utd (going on your theory those are two of the highest placed sides last season and surely should be thrashing S****horpe?). Blackpool looked a reasonable side and I also don't think Sheff Wed will be that bad this season. QPR may well struggle though.

Personally I would have put Barnsley and Hull amongst the worst.

But again I'm guessing (like everyone really)- four games in is nothing. I'm sure in their hearts the people don't seriously think we will be there. Teams like Wolves, Sheff Utd, Ipswich, Watford, Coventry, West Brom etc all have better first teams and better squads IMO.

Of course we can't tell who the worst four sides are this season. That is true. But on last year's league positions QPR, Scunny and Blackpool were the lowest placed and Sheff Weds (to my surprise) have lost all 4 games and conceded 10 in their first 3 games. I don't think they will be bottom 4 at the end of the season but to play them at such a time was good for us.

Of course we can't tell who the worst four sides are this season. That is true. But on last year's league positions QPR, Scunny and Blackpool were the lowest placed and Sheff Weds (to my surprise) have lost all 4 games and conceded 10 in their first 3 games. I don't think they will be bottom 4 at the end of the season but to play them at such a time was good for us.

Do people realise its 3 that go down, not 4?

Steve Lansdown said at the end of the season he wanted to be top of the bottom 5, so obviously thought four go down!

But, using your theory, on last year positions Sheff Utd were the highest placed side and they lost to S****horpe-

Why is it unrealistic to have aspirations of getting into the Premiership?

It's not and if Watford can acheive it twice, so can we.

Although I think that the club are doing well at the moment, the mentality of players, coaches and fans seems to be "finish above the relegation zone". I personally don't think this is the right attitude to have.

Fans, some possibly but for me GJ's saying the right things and going into games trying to win them

Who knows, if we can keep it tight at the back, win the majority of our home games, pick up a few points away, and get good support throughout the season, then stranger things have happened. Just take the Rovers, I didn't think that they had a hope in hell of getting promoted last season but they have taken their good run from last season and have continued to build on it this season - surely this is the mentallity to adopt?

Which is exactly what we've done in a far more difficult division

The main reason people would think its un-realistic at this stage is mainly due to money. We havent got the money to be able to by 1 player for £3million etc. Nor do we have th emoney to offer players £10,000 per week+.

We may not have the money but our owner has.He chooses not to and that's his decision.We are paying one player almost that.

This year is all about staying up and stabalising. We get extra money from TV games, the higher we finish, the more money we get for that, plus any other things like cup runs etc. The longer we are in this league, and the more we progress up this league, then hopefully we will be able to compete with the lieks of West Brom on the financial side aswell as on the pitch for a promotion battle.

Only a benefactor and/or promotion to the Prem would acheive that financially.Bigger crowds and better sponsorship would also be necessary.Undoubtedly, we must at least stay in this Division.

I don't believe that just because a player is worth more or is on higher wages that makes the team he plays for more likely to get promoted. The best teams are the ones where every player plays as a team and not as individuals, for the whole season. City have got a team of players and not a team of individuals.

If you look at te players GJ's bought, they are primarily attacking, flair players of individual ability.I agree about team spirit and being a team as opposed to a collection of individuals, however, at this level, we need talent & quality as well as commitment, organisation and team ethic.

Results are not bought by money (usually) but by what team plays better on the day or the team that wants it more on the day. Players have bad days, but teams consist of 11 players and when that player has a bad day, there are 10 others to step in.

One word, Chelsea-It's not just money and that money has to be spent wisely and the players managed but look at what the top two-five spend and if they didn't spend AND get the other things right, they wouldn't be top for long

The one thing I would not want is for City to reach the Prem and then perform like Swindon did in their one season there.

One promotion, followed by immediate relegation is worth £50/60m.The thing to do is build a top class Championship winning side with that money and, initially become a Yo-Yo team-Of course if you can stay there, all the better and the only thing different from us and Bolton/Wigan/Blackburn/Fulham/Boro is investment.

Investment/Spending by Benefactors-Shrewd managerial appts-Spot the difference?-Add Fulham, Blackburn, Boro

But, using your theory, on last year positions Sheff Utd were the highest placed side and they lost to S****horpe-

I am not saying that there won't be strange results but I still think that Charlton will be better than S****horpe this season and that by the time we have played the likes of Coventry, Wolves, Charlton etc. we will find things tougher.

Of course I hope we can mix it with them boys too and the good start will help us. And I hope the players do have the ambition and belief. I am just saying it's amazing how quickly some people suddenly decide we are world beaters.

I am not saying that there won't be strange results but I still think that Charlton will be better than S****horpe this season and that by the time we have played the likes of Coventry, Wolves, Charlton etc. we will find things tougher.

Of course I hope we can mix it with them boys too and the good start will help us. And I hope the players do have the ambition and belief. I am just saying it's amazing how quickly some people suddenly decide we are world beaters.

Perc.. I for one am not changing my view.. i said 7th at the start and I'm sticking to it :wacko:

Yes we normally lose- in normal or on penalties. Your point?!

Alex, I think DanC is saying that over the normal 90 mins we have virtually held our own.. albeit been somewhat under the kosh at times but we have kept scores even.

We should all know, at least IMO, that we have been ready for this league for sometime; culminating in a good win at the Ricoh last season. That and the fact the team has been strengthened leads me to think we will be in the mix come May 2008.

Amen to that. As I said before 19th will do me just fine.

Alex, I think DanC is saying that over the normal 90 mins we have virtually held our own.. albeit been somewhat under the kosh at times but we have kept scores even.

We should all know, at least IMO, that we have been ready for this league for sometime; culminating in a good win at the Ricoh last season. That and the fact the team has been strengthened leads me to think we will be in the mix come May 2008.

I know what he is saying but I think it is a irrelevant point. You can't compare two off games against Premiership opposition, especially with them palying weakened teams as they did, with whole seasons in that league.

I know what he is saying but I think it is a irrelevant point. You can't compare two off games against Premiership opposition, especially with them palying weakened teams as they did, with whole seasons in that league.

neither team played weakened teams. Look at who we played against when we played Boro: Schwarzer, Woodgate, Yakubu, Viduka, Downing, Xavier, Arca among others. All very good, established permiership players and internationals. Plus the fact they were 2 divisions above us.

neither team played weakened teams. Look at who we played against when we played Boro: Schwarzer, Woodgate, Yakubu, Viduka, Downing, Xavier, Arca among others. All very good, established permiership players and internationals. Plus the fact they were 2 divisions above us.

Man City made 7 changes from their defeat at Arsenal. That is a weakened team is it not?

And Middlesborough had the luxury of starting without Viduka at the replay. Boro had a stronger side than Man City did but both definately had weakened teams for those games.

Man City made 7 changes from their defeat at Arsenal. That is a weakened team is it not?

And Middlesborough had the luxury of starting without Viduka at the replay. Boro had a stronger side than Man City did but both definately had weakened teams for those games.

M'boro was definately not weakened. Viduka was injured for the first game and was coming back form injury for the replay.

They played their best possible side for both games.

M'boro was definately not weakened. Viduka was injured for the first game and was coming back form injury for the replay.

They played their best possible side for both games.

I accept that. But Man City was certainly much weakened. I'm not syaing we didn't do as well as we could have done in those games but we are light years from the Premiership.

I accept that. But Man City was certainly much weakened. I'm not syaing we didn't do as well as we could have done in those games but we are light years from the Premiership.

Without doubt! No Kasper, Richards or Hamann - Which i was disappointed about, i would've liked to seen richards play.

I think some people are getting a little ahead of themselves....

Its very early days yet and we havnt really played any real tough opposition yet. Yes we have started well but we have two very hard games next which could bring us all back down to earth a bit.

Think we will finnish about mid table personally which I will be more than pleased with. We have to establish ourself in this league first. With GJ in charge though would be confident he could get us in the prem within 5 years, if he stays that is.

Archived