IGNORED

The Premiership

rockin-robin

Why is it unrealistic to have aspirations of getting into the Premiership?

Although I think that the club are doing well at the moment, the mentality of players, coaches and fans seems to be "finish above the relegation zone". I personally don't think this is the right attitude to have.

We should have the mentallity of winning the league and going into everygame as if we are going to win it regardless of who we are playing. Surely this way it will stand us in better stead in the long run.

Who knows, if we can keep it tight at the back, win the majority of our home games, pick up a few points away, and get good support throughout the season, then stranger things have happened. Just take the Rovers, I didn't think that they had a hope in hell of getting promoted last season but they have taken their good run from last season and have continued to build on it this season - surely this is the mentallity to adopt?

Thoughts.

Although I think that the club are doing well at the moment, the mentality of players, coaches and fans seems to be "finish above the relegation zone". I personally don't think this is the right attitude to have.

We should have the mentallity of winning the league and going into everygame as if we are going to win it regardless of who we are playing. Surely this way it will stand us in better stead in the long run.

Who knows, if we can keep it tight at the back, win the majority of our home games, pick up a few points away, and get good support throughout the season, then stranger things have happened. Just take the Rovers, I didn't think that they had a hope in hell of getting promoted last season but they have taken their good run from last season and have continued to build on it this season - surely this is the mentallity to adopt?

Thoughts.

The main reason people would think its un-realistic at this stage is mainly due to money. We havent got the money to be able to by 1 player for £3million etc. Nor do we have th emoney to offer players £10,000 per week+.

This year is all about staying up and stabalising. We get extra money from TV games, the higher we finish, the more money we get for that, plus any other things like cup runs etc. The longer we are in this league, and the more we progress up this league, then hopefully we will be able to compete with the lieks of West Brom on the financial side aswell as on the pitch for a promotion battle.

I don't think its unrealistic to get us into the Premiership this season - it can be done. Its football after all - and anything is possible.

While I would love to see us do it, on the other hand - I Wouldnt! I don't think we would be at all prepared for it if we were to go straight up - we would most certaintly come straight back down again.

If we were to hold our own in the championship this season, maybe come 7th or 8th - that would be awsome, then maybe next season start thinking about targeting the premiership. One step at a time!

The main reason people would think its un-realistic at this stage is mainly due to money. We havent got the money to be able to by 1 player for £3million etc. Nor do we have th emoney to offer players £10,000 per week+.

This year is all about staying up and stabalising. We get extra money from TV games, the higher we finish, the more money we get for that, plus any other things like cup runs etc. The longer we are in this league, and the more we progress up this league, then hopefully we will be able to compete with the lieks of West Brom on the financial side aswell as on the pitch for a promotion battle.

I don't believe that just because a player is worth more or is on higher wages that makes the team he plays for more likely to get promoted. The best teams are the ones where every player plays as a team and not as individuals, for the whole season. City have got a team of players and not a team of individuals.

Results are not bought by money (usually) but by what team plays better on the day or the team that wants it more on the day. Players have bad days, but teams consist of 11 players and when that player has a bad day, there are 10 others to step in.

I don't think its unrealistic to get us into the Premiership this season - it can be done. Its football after all - and anything is possible.

While I would love to see us do it, on the other hand - I Wouldnt! I don't think we would be at all prepared for it if we were to go straight up - we would most certaintly come straight back down again.

If we were to hold our own in the championship this season, maybe come 7th or 8th - that would be awsome, then maybe next season start thinking about targeting the premiership. One step at a time!

The question is - when will we be fully prepared? -not for a long time IMO. We need Premiership status,albeit only for one season to really be prepared. It doesn't really matter when.

I don't believe that just because a player is worth more or is on higher wages that makes the team he plays for more likely to get promoted. The best teams are the ones where every player plays as a team and not as individuals, for the whole season. City have got a team of players and not a team of individuals.

Results are not bought by money (usually) but by what team plays better on the day or the team that wants it more on the day. Players have bad days, but teams consist of 11 players and when that player has a bad day, there are 10 others to step in.

Agreed to a certain extent but the players that play for the bigger clubs in our league are bound to be better players. IMO we pulled off a bit of a coup by signing McIndoe from Wolves.

Since the Premiership was formed 15 yrs ago, football has, in the majority, been about money. Teams like Reading, Wigan, Middlesboro, Blackburn and a few others just cant compete with the likes of Chelsea, Man United, Liverpool, Arsenal and to a bit of a lesser extent, Spurs. That's why they willb e the top 5 this season in the Prem.

It goes the same for the Chmpionship. Occasionally a team will surprise people, like Colchester for example last season in the CCC and Reading in the Prem.

Some fans will certainly have that mentality, but what makes you think the players and coaching staff do? I would think they are aiming to win every game.

It is possible, the league isnt as strong this year.

I would take a season in the prem in a heartbeat.

I would be happy to lose every single game and pocket the £25m, ta very much!

Although I think that the club are doing well at the moment, the mentality of players, coaches and fans seems to be "finish above the relegation zone".

What makes you think players and coaches think this?

Gary Johnsons aspirations are to finish as high up the league as possible, whether this means 5th or 15th, thats as high up the league as we could get, so be it.

MM

GJ might not have said it but I think he probably reckons 15th-20th is a reasonable placing this season. And from what I've seen from the first four games I'd be happy with that too.

Premiership is a way off IMO- it took long enough to get out of League 1 so let's enjoy what we have right now and look forward to building towards those playoffs.

The team is set up in manner packed with attacking options indicating the side is going to attempt to attack and wins games rather than defend away fropm home. Has a balnace to it that looks good but aspirations have to be simply to stay up this time, that is the goal.

Could reach for the stars again and find ourselves once again millions in debt[?] and taking eight years to bounce back.

Thoughts.

I've heard a few comments from players and they believe if they play to there best then we could possibly make it into the play offs. I think you will also find this team isn't scared of anyone and will go into every match hoping to win it. There is not one game this season that isn't winnable IMHO.

Lets not get ahead of ourselves here people...

We have had an easy start by Championship standards so talking about promotion at this stage is ludicrous.

We must/will go in to every game with the desire to win but realistically we are going to stumble sooner or later.

I think after the Coventry game we will have a better indication of what we can achieve this season as it is our biggest test so far.

Remember, we drew against Blackpool away which isn't excatly promotion standards.

I've heard a few comments from players and they believe if they play to there best then we could possibly make it into the play offs. I think you will also find this team isn't scared of anyone and will go into every match hoping to win it. There is not one game this season that isn't winnable IMHO.

Its good to see the players having such belief and positive attitude and if they maintain it over the season then it'll be worth 10-12 points but to be fair to the players - its great to be having a strong dose of PMA but only one or two of them have played at CCC level before and therefore they don't really know what to expect over a gruelling 46 games.

Like most fans I watch a lot of football on the TV and watch the Premiership every week that its on. Last season I also saw lots of CCC games and the standard is way below that of the Prem but significantly above that of the Div 1. I know its only four games but so far I've seen nothing from City that fills me with optimism that City will feature in the play-off/automatic race come April/May. That said maybe City will start turning teams over convinceingly and that will change.Teams just like players hit or lose form over the season.

We won't know untill December - when City have played most of the 'big boys' and suspensions,injuries and loss of form will have fully stretched the squad - just how City are likely to finish up.

My expectations this season are based facts - a step up standard, new additions to the squad which will take time to adapt. A mid-table finish for me would very acceptable.Anything beyond that would be a great bonus.

Premiership? Yep - but next season........

Lets not get ahead of ourselves here people...

We have had an easy start by Championship standards so talking about promotion at this stage is ludicrous.

We must/will go in to every game with the desire to win but realistically we are going to stumble sooner or later.

I think after the Coventry game we will have a better indication of what we can achieve this season as it is our biggest test so far.

Remember, we drew against Blackpool away which isn't excatly promotion standards.

Why not get ahead of ourselves?

OK, being overly optimistic could lead to crashing to Earth with a big bump, but why not just enjoy this ride we're on for as long as it lasts?

Don't really agree with your "easy start" theory. We have beaten S****horpe and drawn with Blackpool........look where they are in the table!

Granted it's a long season and there will be ups and downs along the way, but you can only make assessments based on how things stand today. At this point we are 3rd in the league.....without hitting form yet.

I for one will carry on believing until results and the table says otherwise!

And no..I am definitely NOT a happy clapper before anyone starts!!

Like most fans I watch a lot of football on the TV and watch the Premiership every week that its on. Last season I also saw lots of CCC games and the standard is way below that of the Prem but significantly above that of the Div 1. I know its only four games but so far I've seen nothing from City that fills me with optimism that City will feature in the play-off/automatic race come April/May. That said maybe City will start turning teams over convinceingly and that will change.Teams just like players hit or lose form over the season.

We won't know untill December - when City have played most of the 'big boys' and suspensions,injuries and loss of form will have fully stretched the squad - just how City are likely to finish up.

My expectations this season are based facts - a step up standard, new additions to the squad which will take time to adapt. A mid-table finish for me would very acceptable.Anything beyond that would be a great bonus.

Premiership? Yep - but next season........

YUP ........FACT ...... now if facts were set in stone ...... we could all do very well with the bookies ...... the facts are ..... predictions based on Facts are unreliable ......

facts would have told you Chelsea would beat Villa .....

facts could not predict the wonderful penalty decision given by the ref in the Liverpool Chelsea game.

NOW THEORY IS DIFFERENT, In theory we should struggle in this league, In theory the million pound spenders in the championship should win every week .......

but its because nothing is 'FACT. 'SET IN STONE' or 'CERTAIN', that we support our teams every week, waiting and hoping for them to break the certainty of results that the TV pundits predict (based on FACTS).

there's a definate possiblity that we can make the end of September without losing a game, if we do so, . that will be a FACT, Facts are history, the future is the unknown ........

roll on Saturday, when we step into the unknown again and beat Coventry, we did last time 2-0 (thats a FACT)

ONWARDS and UPWARDS

:winner_third_h4h:

:englandsmile4wf:

Why not get ahead of ourselves?

OK, being overly optimistic could lead to crashing to Earth with a big bump, but why not just enjoy this ride we're on for as long as it lasts?

I am enjoying the ride but I'm going to take each game as it comes rather then being too optimistic!

Don't really agree with your "easy start" theory. We have beaten S****horpe and drawn with Blackpool........look where they are in the table!

By the end of the season though I expect at least one of those teams to be relegated.

Granted it's a long season and there will be ups and downs along the way, but you can only make assessments based on how things stand today. At this point we are 3rd in the league.....without hitting form yet.

Good point about not hitting form yet, but that could be the case with other teams in the division.

I for one will carry on believing until results and the table says otherwise!

And no..I am definitely NOT a happy clapper before anyone starts!!

Don't get me wrong I would love to see us promoted, just think of the bragging rights.. (doing it with an English manager, mainly British squad, not spending much money)

stranger things have happened but it would be something quite remarkable.

I do though, find it amusing how people are seriously talking promotion. We are just 4 games in to the season and have played probably the worst 4 sides (the 3 lowest placed from last season and a team that had lost every game so far this season).

Of course you can only beat what is put in front of you but anything less than 2 wins against the worst 4 sides would have been a little disappointing.

I just hope that the good start will boost confidence and help up build a solid platform this season. The next two games are very tough.

OK, City have started well and it's a possibility (no more than that) we could be in the Premiership next season.

How would we fare? Three results from recent season's in the cups have seen us lose (but only on pens) to Everton and Middlesborough and go close to drawing with Man C. No wins therefore IF City were promoted we would need immediate and large investment so that we could discard some of our existing favourites and purchase (& pay) even better players.

We fans would have to dig deeper in our pockets to watch City. No half price admission for children at most Prem grounds.

We'd also have to get used to playing on assorted days and kicking off at all sorts of times as dictated by the sponsors & TV stations.

Yes I'd love to watch again as City win at Highbury & Old Trafford, but next time round it would be at a greater cost.

The one thing I would not want is for City to reach the Prem and then perform like Swindon did in their one season there.

OK, City have started well and it's a possibility (no more than that) we could be in the Premiership next season.

How would we fare? Three results from recent season's in the cups have seen us lose (but only on pens) to Everton and Middlesborough and go close to drawing with Man C. No wins therefore IF City were promoted we would need immediate and large investment so that we could discard some of our existing favourites and purchase (& pay) even better players.

We fans would have to dig deeper in our pockets to watch City. No half price admission for children at most Prem grounds.

We'd also have to get used to playing on assorted days and kicking off at all sorts of times as dictated by the sponsors & TV stations.

Yes I'd love to watch again as City win at Highbury & Old Trafford, but next time round it would be at a greater cost.

The one thing I would not want is for City to reach the Prem and then perform like Swindon did in their one season there.

Not even if we got £25m for the priveledge?

stranger things have happened but it would be something quite remarkable.

I do though, find it amusing how people are seriously talking promotion. We are just 4 games in to the season and have played probably the worst 4 sides (the 3 lowest placed from last season and a team that had lost every game so far this season).

Of course you can only beat what is put in front of you but anything less than 2 wins against the worst 4 sides would have been a little disappointing.

I just hope that the good start will boost confidence and help up build a solid platform this season. The next two games are very tough.

Why do you think those are the four worst sides? I don't think City will be anywhere near the top but I think it's unfair to say those four sides will be the worst. S****horpe have drawn with Charlton and beaten Sheff Utd (going on your theory those are two of the highest placed sides last season and surely should be thrashing S****horpe?). Blackpool looked a reasonable side and I also don't think Sheff Wed will be that bad this season. QPR may well struggle though.

Personally I would have put Barnsley and Hull amongst the worst.

But again I'm guessing (like everyone really)- four games in is nothing. I'm sure in their hearts the people don't seriously think we will be there. Teams like Wolves, Sheff Utd, Ipswich, Watford, Coventry, West Brom etc all have better first teams and better squads IMO.

well for a start these top teams in the premiership are way way over rated,you know that and so do we,whats missing is passion from the top flight...too many foriegners ...too much money bla bla....when they come up against lower league teams they always struggle...why ?....look at reading wow...so as a gashead being the realistic fellow that i am anyone can reach the top,its about time we showed those premiership and "bigger clubs" that proper football rules...all this showey lets dive 4 a freekick stuff is not our football as we know it..i cant ever remember diving when i played years ago..if i was fouled then it was a bloomin foul...what I'm saying is that its about time they got found out by us lower league clubs...and you guys are ahead of us at the moment so go for it...we,ll try not to be too far behind ....

Thoughts.

I think posts like this are insane.We have made a great start but it is so early to start talking in terms of this.We have all the big boys to play.Survival is still the key objective.

I think posts like this are insane.We have made a great start but it is so early to start talking in terms of this.We have all the big boys to play.Survival is still the key objective.
And we all know how City play against the big boys.

Archived