IGNORED

What We Need Is A Rousing New Chant

greenun

Everyone knows, "We will rock you!" by Queen, but what makes this anthem so special are the hand movements that illustrate the opening.

You know, clap, clap arms raised, back down again and repeated throughout this classic.

WHAT IF WE HAD A CHANT TO ACCOMPANY THOSE SIMPLE GESTURES?

CI-TY ROCK!

CI-TY ROCK!

CI-TY ROCK!

CI-TY ROCK!

CI-TY ROCK!

CI-TY ROCK!

CI-TY ROCK!

So simple, short and unashamedly easy to remember, EVERYONE CAN JOIN IN!

Shoot me down in flames or come up with a better idea. I challenge you all.

What about :-

God save our gracious team,

long live our football team,

God save our team.

Send us victorious,

Score a great goal for us,

Long to win games for us,

God save our team.

Problem is, we need a tune to sing it to?! :laugh::dunno::dunno:

Alternatively, there is a simply ditty below which can be resurrected; only a couple of minor changes made from the original. Most fans above 25 would know this surely?

Guest Champagne Football
What about :-

God save our gracious team,

long live our football team,

God save our team.

Send us victorious,

Score a great goal for us,

Long to win games for us,

God save our team.

That is amazing! Only problem is people won't know the words, maybe we could hand out a hymn sheet. :laugh:

One chant, if you can call it that, that I always think is amazing is when the oposition make a substitution at St. Andrews, Birmingham City. The home fans chant "WHO..." when the player is announced leaving and "...ARE YOU WHO ARE YOU" when the player is announced coming on. The whole ground join in.

If any of you guys have heard it you will know what I'm talking about.

MM

The most impressive expressions of support in British sport come about as particular crowds sing their song in unison - Fields of Athenry (Celtic), You'll Never Walk Again (Liverpool), Flower of Scotland, Swing Low, Cwm Rhondda, Delilah, Men of Harlech, etc. They make the hairs on the back of your neck stand on end so think what it can do to opposition players!

Lordy even the gas sound better than we do when they sing that Irene thing. Why? - because their fans have taken the trouble to learn the proper flippin' words to their song.

So, here you are, no excuse not join in on Saturday ...

Drink up thy zider George, pass us round the mug

Drink up thy zider George, the garden's ver'nigh dug

Thy cheeks bin gettin' redder

From Charter'ouse to Cheddar

An' there's still more zider in the jug

(Chorus)

Drink up thy zider, Drink up thy zider,

For tonight we'll merry be

We'll knock the milk churns over

And roll 'em in the clover

For the corn's 'alf-cut and so be we!

Drink up thy zider George, thee bissn't goin' far

Drink up thy zider George, thee's gettin' quite a star

There's dung o'er all thy tat'ers

An' 'alfway up thy gaiters

An' there's still more zider in the jar!

(Repeat chorus)

Drink up thy zider George, get up off thick mat

Drink up thy zider George, put on thy girt big 'at

We'm off to Barrow Gurney

For to see my brother Ernie

An' there's still more zider in the vat!

(Repeat chorus)

Drink up thy zider George, 'tis time we 'ad a rest

Drink up thy zider George, the finest ever pressed

There's nothing like good cider

To make your smile grow wider

An' there's still more zider in the West!

(Repeat chorus)

(Repeat chorus)

Yep Goodnight Irene is a classic.

The thing about you lot is you need a decent song of your own, too much manufactured cheesiness at Ashton Gate.

Ditch the bloke going 'C'mon you reds.....' for a start......

....Sounds like you need help starting up your chants!

Oh you do? ok....... :laugh:

I may be stirring up a hornets nest here but I think that when we first went back to the EE everyone sung in unison (together) the last few times in the EE,there are way too many people singing songs that were sung in the 70's in the EE. But I am afraid only a handful of people know these. Why not just sing all the current songs even if it's just for the Queer's game!!!!

:laugh::dunno: :Cheeky3: :Cheeky3: :dunno::laugh:

Lordy even the gas sound better than we do when they sing that Irene thing. Why? - because their fans have taken the trouble to learn the proper flippin' words to their song.

You've hit the nail on the head there RU!

That's why I came up with something short and sweet, but I'd rather sing DUTC any day.

How about this for an idea.

Remember Red & White Night Part 1, the 3-2 win against Rovers. We were all given Red A4 sheets to hold up and form a wall of colour.

What if we did it again, with the DUTC lyrics printed on the reverse and a sponsors name above and below.

Not only will the club get a fantastic, intimidating atmosphere, but they'll also have an excellent money making opportunity to sell a potential advertiser/sponsor. With full concentration on the product or service guaranteed!

Guest SuttonRed

[lyrics: BREATHE! SPIT! WALK! WHADDYA SAY? BREATHE! SPIT! WALK! ARE YOU TALKING TO ME?

(not city-related, but a great riff)]

If only Pantera would do our themes!

We would kick a lot of A**

Remember Red & White Night Part 1, the 3-2 win against Rovers. We were all given Red A4 sheets to hold up and form a wall of colour.

What if we did it again, with the DUTC lyrics printed on the reverse and a sponsors name above and below.

Not only will the club get a fantastic, intimidating atmosphere, but they'll also have an excellent money making opportunity to sell a potential advertiser/sponsor. With full concentration on the product or service guaranteed!

Sounds good to me!

Think you will find its by PIGBAG and is titled "Papas got a brand new pigbag". The ironic thing is, i think the group were from Bristol. The record was out in about 1980 ?i got it on 12 inch vinyl  :laugh: !!!

'Papa's....' came out in about 1981 I think.

City 'casuals' used to sing it at grounds up and down the country during the great slide to Div 4. The band Pigbag were from Bristol and included ex-Pop Group Simon Underwood on bass and I think the later-to-become-famous-producer Nellee Hooper was involved early on.

A great example of Bristol's musical originality and it's become a bit of a classic football tune over the years.

As Stoke Gifford Road posted; "Anything as long as it is simple. Personally I think the atmosphere will be great on Saturady anyway with existing songs and a long RED ARMY chant. Trying out new songs will just confuse people as they won't know the words, particluarly the people who are going to their first game this season".

Six weeks ago at Grimsby, that prolonged Red Army chant felt intimidating to me and I was one of those singing it!

You've hit the nail on the head there RU!

That's why I came up with something short and sweet, but I'd rather sing DUTC any day.

I spoke to Richard Gould today, regarding printing red A4 sheets, with the Drink Up The Zider lyrics on the reverse. He promised to look into finding a sponsor to cover the cost.

So folks, we MAY have a RED WALL OF SOUND on Saturday!!

Yep Goodnight Irene is a classic.

The thing about you lot is you need a decent song of your own, too much manufactured cheesiness at Ashton Gate.

Ditch the bloke going 'C'mon you reds.....' for a start......

....Sounds like you need help starting up your chants!

Oh you do? ok....... :dunno:

Goodgnight Irene is a foul dirge, a heinous cacophany which is certainly the most obnoxious and despised club song in the league. You should be ashamed of it.

How you have the audacity to compare it to City classics like "Drink up thee Cider" would be laughable, if your own song wasn't so sick.

Disgraceful. :laugh:

Archived