IGNORED

Lee Johnson

Alex_BCFC

LJ is a class act and he has one of the best if not the best deliveries of a football into the box at the club and one delivery can equal a goal as proved Tuesday,

yes but one bad midfield pass can also cause severe problems as we saw on Tuesday.

we got away with a lot of bad crossfield passes which were intercepted last season ....... this year we will get punished a lot more .........

anticipation and interception of passes is at a much higher level in this league, which is causing LJ his problems, and our defence bigger ones

GJ had a BIG decision to make over who's the no.1 in that postition soon

:englandsmile4wf:

He took a corner, Elliot headed the ball and the keepers save happened to fall to Orr. Not a lot of setting up. Not a criticism, but setting up a goal takes more than booting a corner into the penalty box with about 15 players fighting for the ball. Thats a lottery, even in the Premiership.

I think you've got the wrong game CGS.

The game Alex mentioned was Sheffield Wednesday away!

Hold on.

LJ was criticised last season by some for 'over-playing' when sometimes there were easier options on. This season in he is being criticised for not playing enough crossfield balls / penetrative passes - as usual, it's a no win situation for the lad!

I think he has been told to be a little more cautious this season by his old man and to try and retain possession when possible.

But with Elliott being the tough tackler in midfield that it seems we need at this level, LJ does have the license to play the 'Hollywood' ball when the right moment arises.

For me, Elliott's introduction is a positive thing for LJ and his style of play. As others have said - does Noble have the pace and engine to last at this level? That remains to be seen, personally I'm not sure if he does on a week in, week out basis.

This season LJ has already scored one and made a few key contributions to other goals. Even if he hasn't got an official assist to his name yet, 12 last term suggests that it's only a matter of time.

Since Lee Johnson has joined this club, we have been on the up and up, its rubbish that he is selected because of who he is, but i must admit he is selected because of the type of player he is, GJs teams always have a player that touches the ball 100 times a game, my view is that he is selected because of that reason and the manager trusts him, people forget that we have always needed a link man, and too have one that scores goals and produces the kind of passes that he can, we have a good un, but i can agree that he is inconsistant at the moment, everyone claiming Noble should be in should look at how many games he played last year, and how well he played with Lj, i would play all 3

One last thing, on WBAs goal, it was Lee Trundle that put LJ in trouble by a short ball.

You play Skuse in the midfield you say but then where does the creativity come from?

I'm afraid at the moment City do not seem to have the type of creative player, we all crave for, on the books. My opinion was based on the players available to play in the position/role LJ currently holds. This is mainly defensively and then secondary as an attacking creative midfielder. I did not cover tackling in my earlier post as I considered the role as closing down and shadowing. However, although LJ has a low centre of gravity which is recognised as an asset when tackling this area of his game is not what it should be. This also goes for DN. Both appear not to have the desire to "get stuck in" as per Elliott. CS although tall and lean is by far the best tackler when compared to LJ and DN.

Nobody seems to have mentioned that had LJ not tried to do a little drag back when he recieved the ball in the WBA half and had actually just knocked it infront of him (the simple option) he would not have been dispossesed which then led to the goal. If he had knocked it forward the tackler was already commited and would have been a certain foul and our free kick.

It wasn't just refering to Tuesday. I agree that we are unlikely to play many better so LJ's performance against WBA was acceptable. It is before that that worries me- especially Sheff Wed away.

It was Lee Johnsons initial pass which set up our goal against Sheffield Wednesday.

Thats what he is in the team for and as long as he continues to pass the ball around like that he's worth his place in the side.

It was Lee Johnsons initial pass which set up our goal against Sheffield Wednesday.

Thats what he is in the team for and as long as he continues to pass the ball around like that he's worth his place in the side.

He also gave the ball away numerous times along with free kicks in dangerous places which on other days (like West Brom) will cost us. For someone playing in the centre of midfield he needs to do a lot better- he isn't a striker who can be a passanger for long periods and then set-up a goal.

Every player that has played for us this season has played well.

That statement simply isnt true! Trundle looks lost at the moment, McCallister looks a little out of his depth and Johnson definately has struggled in the middle of the park.

Whenever he has a below-par performance, people will automatically question him and his ability!

Mini man dosen't look comfortable at the moment at this level, thats nothing to do with his relationship to the manager, it's a straight opinion on a players performances todate, hopefully he and others will come to grips with life in the Championship and improve.

It's early days.

If Noble can regain full fitness then LJ could find his place under threat.

But will GJ make that decision or will it be his achilles heel?

lee johnson is by far capable of doing a quality job in this league! he is class!

So why hasn't he in our six games?

I think your last sentence answers your question; if he makes one assist per match he will be first on the team sheet and rightly.

One good thing a game? I'd agree if you were talking about a goal a game, but an assist?? The assist against WBA goes down to Elliott and Weds, Trundle anyway.

Lee Johnson had 1 poor(ish!) game on wednesday and suddenly people are questioning whether hes good enough! Surprise sur-######g-prise!

Every player that has played for us this season has played well and that is reflected by our league position. But because of who he is, whenever he has a below-par performance, people will automatically question him and his ability!

Our midfield, particularly away hasn't been great although, our record is actually better away than at home.We've doe well off scraps.LJ didn't play at Blackpool and we were poor there as well-At home, we've deserved our five points, but we've lacked guile and ideas in all the games.

I think LJ's a decent player and have defended him on countless times when people have a pop at him for playing for his dad because that's not his doing-however, as a player, he needs to be doing a great deal more, based on his ability and he hasn't shone this season.

I think what we saw on Tuesday was a very very good WBA midfield - the difference between their midfield and our was the anticipation, positioning and knowing how to get out of tricky situations with the ball. Marv looked unphased by it all and LJ has got some learning to do. Against similar opposition then perhaps to battling midfielders make sense such as Skuse and Marv but then our distribution suffers. Think it's just horses for courses and lets face it we didnt have so much trouble with the midfield until McIndoe had to be taken off and the balance of the midfield was replaced by right footed players playing on the left hand side of midfield.

Agree about the substitution and GJ missed a trick there-It should have been Byfield on as a central striker, Sproule to the right and Wilosn to the left.I hope that's what we do if McIndoe's not fit for Sat.

LJ did fine until WBA injured McIndoe - we wont be facing as ggod as a midfield as WBA until we meet them again - LJ didn't look out of place vs Man City.

Is LJ good enough? is a good enough question but the premise from which you ask the question is dodgy as there were circumstances on Tuesday that we might not see again this season.

WBA's "midfield" lost at Burnley & Sheff Utd so, perhaps we'll come up against a better midfield in our next two home games?-We are where we are, based on excellent defending and brilliant goalkeeping from all three keepers, but Basso in particular.

GJ is a professional, if he feels Lee isn't playing as well as he should be, he will change it.

I hope that statement proves to be true

As long as the results keep going our way LJ should retain his place.

What, even if he plays poorly, yet we still win??

Lee Trundle is prasied for his assists when he doesn't score or do much else, if Lee has one assist a game that leads to a goal and we win, whats the difference? Will we start getting on Trundles back?

Actually, LT is starting to attract quite a few groans every now and then as he's to easily brushed aside-Don't worry, if he doesn't do it at £1m and massive wonga, he'll soon get some.

We cannot compare last season to this season. GJ is operating a completely different attack focus. This season we actually have a strike force from the wings.

And his signings told us that would be the case

Too much pressure was on the back 4 and midfield to win games, due to a strike force that could not strike often enough.

All of whom are still here, bar Smith!

Imo we have 2 players who need to lift their level to the rest of the team. They are McAllister and LJ. They are either taking longer to adapt to the higher standard, or unable to reach the higher standard. Thats a matter for GJ to judge and in these matters he usually does. Look at Jevo and Betsy in the cold, and its down to ability.

Agree with that and, as you say, both players need to do more based on their ability.

You mean the game that he was instrumental in setting up the only goal, do you?

It was a ten yard pass into feet mate-How about conceeding the free kick that nearly cost us the points or giving the ball away on numerous occassions if you're going to pick out one offs.

IMHO Lee Johnson has not fulfilled his potential. It appears his current role is to play in front of the back four and make himself available to defenders and move the ball on.

IMHO his role hasn't visibly changed since last season and in no way is he, or will be, a holding midfielder.Although, we do need the midfield to take responsibility more in taking the ball off Orr & Carey

Whilst he carries out this role quite effectively he has a tendency to play too many short balls in tight situations which often causes loss of possession. He rarely plays long balls that penetrate and take opponents out of the game. He seems to be involved in every set piece. His kicking does not have any excessive swerve / bend or power. Therefore his delivery of dead ball kicks should be achieveable by any professional footballer.

His free kicks are decent in delivery, on the whole-leaving aside the shooting on occassions.Agree about the rest

David Noble has been mentioned as a replacement. Whilst quite an accomplished midfielder his main drawbacks are lack of pace and his insistence on having five touches on the ball when one will suffice. In this league his pace would be found wanting and again lead to City's midfield being waltzed through once again. His ability to need time on the ball and seemingly not able to play quick, long or penetrative passes early would allow teams to close us down and negate attacking opportunities.

However, Noble played in a five man midfield in an advanced role, looked our most important player on the run in and, for me, our best football under GJ came in the final stages of his first season when Russell/Noble/Skuse occupied the central positions and we we almost made it after a dreadful start under BT and the hand grenade period under GJ.Noble/Johnson in a two-NEVER-ina three or four yes because they both have more time and both did well against Middlesborough last season.If we play a two, my first pick would be Noble/Elliott and fater that, if we play with out and out wingers, Skuse/Elliott.

I would like to see Cole Skuse given the chance to play in this role. He is by far the most defensive minded player of the three. He has been touted as a central defender so can read a game defensively. He is confident on the ball and has the ability to play with quick feet. Not so long back, I believe he was the quickest sprinter in the club. Paired with Elliott this should also give us more ball winning height in midfield which could also compliment the defence, which at the moment is lacking height unless McCombe or Vasko play. Lastly I feel Cole's football is more suited to this division than the one he has previously played in and a decent run in this position would benefit the team as a whole.

In the right formation, I wouldn't argue with that although his contribution in the final third needs to go up several notches if he's to become a complete midfielder and that's needed if we play a two and not a three.

Not on one pass, Andy

Lee Johnson played in most of the games last year - and we were promoted. he has played in most of the games this season and we are currently second in the table. Yep..there are probably better midfielders in the world but he is good enough at this level. If his form dips or someone else shows they can do a better job then I'm sure he'll be rested. He is at an age where he can still improve. Should we get into the Premier League in the next few years we will need a squad that is better than the current one - Narvin Elliott looks good enough for that level at the moment, Lee Johnson needs to improve. Let's take one step at a time and realise that Lee Johnson is doing a good job for us at the moment and enjoy being second in the Championship...above teams like Coventry, WBA, Southampton etc who all seem to think they are so much better than us.

He also gave the ball away numerous times along with free kicks in dangerous places which on other days (like West Brom) will cost us. For someone playing in the centre of midfield he needs to do a lot better- he isn't a striker who can be a passanger for long periods and then set-up a goal.

The bottom line is, Johnson has undoubted class on the ball but he hasn't got on the ball enough for me this season.

He has had little contributions here and there, most notably the goal vs QPR and his involvement in the goal at Sheff Weds & WBA which is why he remains in the side.

He's got the perfect foil alongside Marvin Elliott and his all action game should allow him to affect the games more often than he has so far but if he's already notched a goal and a few assists when playing poorly, then surely he's worth his place in the team at this moment in time. With Nobe's out I'd much rather have him in ahead of Skuse but in the longrun, I'd love to see Noble and Elliott together. The thought of that is awesome!

Here is my honest opinion - And before I get shot down, Let it be known that I am a big Lee Johnson fan and I thought he was terriffic last season.

This season is different, There is no doubt in my mind that LJ is a good player capable of holding down a place in a Championship side, However, When I look at the starting XI, I believe that if we want to continue progressing, then we need a better player that LJ in the centre of midfield along side elliott. I think he has struggled at times this season and given the ball away far too much. He lacks prescence in the middle of the park and when he loses the ball, He simply doesnt have the physical attributes to get back quickly and win it back.

I don't see it as a major problem and I think over the course of the season he will most certainly get his share of assists as he takes corners and free kicks etc. I just think that if we want to continue progressing and kick on in this league then he is possibly holding one of the positions that we are weaker at the moment.

If we could get somebody of real quality performing alongside elliott - And Noble could be the answer, Then we would have a classy looking midfield to match most in the division. Right now there is not many, if any at all that I would swap Mcindoe or Elliott for.

Here is my honest opinion - And before I get shot down, Let it be known that I am a big Lee Johnson fan and I thought he was terriffic last season.

This season is different, There is no doubt in my mind that LJ is a good player capable of holding down a place in a Championship side, However, When I look at the starting XI, I believe that if we want to continue progressing, then we need a better player that LJ in the centre of midfield along side elliott. I think he has struggled at times this season and given the ball away far too much. He lacks prescence in the middle of the park and when he loses the ball, He simply doesnt have the physical attributes to get back quickly and win it back.

I don't see it as a major problem and I think over the course of the season he will most certainly get his share of assists as he takes corners and free kicks etc. I just think that if we want to continue progressing and kick on in this league then he is possibly holding one of the positions that we are weaker at the moment.

If we could get somebody of real quality performing alongside elliott - And Noble could be the answer, Then we would have a classy looking midfield to match most in the division. Right now there is not many, if any at all that I would swap Mcindoe or Elliott for.

A very fair and reasoned analysis of the current situation, imo.Assists are vital, but losing possession so cheaply in a combative, pacy and skillful league can be soooo costly.I am not anti-LJ by any stretch of the imagination, but feel he has been, at times, the weak link this season.That seems churlish when we are challenging at the top, but it has been increasingly apparant imo.

back to the ongoing debate - noble or johnson?

noble everytime for me

But that isn't the debate! Surely you must see that??

Noble didn't play in centre midfield for us all last season and he definitely wont this season. He is a support striker, plays off the front man and picks passes out, his fitness has permanantly been under question. Crazy talk from people just wanting a scapegoat, and LJ is the easy pick.

It's like being back on the playground and picking on the little guy!

Noble didn't play in centre midfield for us all last season and he definitely wont this season. He is a support striker, plays off the front man and picks passes out, his fitness has permanantly been under question. Crazy talk from people just wanting a scapegoat, and LJ is the easy pick.

You are talking crazy fella. I'm willing to take a bet that he'l play in the centre of midfield at some point this season. He is not a support striker. He played their towards the end of last season for us and done a good job. Last season was the first time in his career that he had ever played in that role.

He has always been a central midfielder throughout his career. The reason he never played their last season was because johnson was performing so well and GJ he doesnt seem to like playing them together as their is then no protection for the back 4 - which I agree with.

You are talking crazy fella. I'm willing to take a bet that he'l play in the centre of midfield at some point this season. He is not a support striker. He played their towards the end of last season for us and done a good job. Last season was the first time in his career that he had ever played in that role.

He has always been a central midfielder throughout his career. The reason he never played their last season was because johnson was performing so well and GJ he doesnt seem to like playing them together as their is then no protection for the back 4 - which I agree with.

For reserve teams and for Boston. Oh and when we weren't getting results.

He wont be playing centre midfield for bristol city again, the last time he did was two seasons ago! We've surely got to trust johnson's judgment, he knows the player better than anyone and that's why he doesn't play there. Read the comments at the start of the season by GJ 'we have good central midfielders, russell, skuse johnson elliott'. GJ knows he's not a central midfielder, even in league one, so can we stop trying to pretend he is.

If you look at my 'all fit city team' on the other thread, you will see i'm a huge noble fan..in his correct position.

I don't think I've rated LJ over six this season and I've got nothing against him.I still say the best football we played under GJ was with Noble in the centre of midfield with either Russell or Skuse.For my money DN & LJ are both better in a three man central midfield with a holding player ala Skuse

Noble coming into centre midfield with Russell was pivotal in turning GJ's first season around.

He wont be playing centre midfield for bristol city again, the last time he did was two seasons ago! We've surely got to trust johnson's judgment, he knows the player better than anyone and that's why he doesn't play there. Read the comments at the start of the season by GJ 'we have good central midfielders, russell, skuse johnson elliott'. GJ knows he's not a central midfielder, even in league one, so can we stop trying to pretend he is.

That's not a fact it's your summing up of a situation and it'll be interesting in seeing the type of midfielder GJ brings in if AR joins Northampton permanently.Noble is the only player we have that can play in that withdrawn role and he's also the nearest thing we have to a play maker.

If you look at my 'all fit city team' on the other thread, you will see i'm a huge noble fan..in his correct position.

Me too and LJ & DN are both good players-However, there is always the question of form & fitness.

I'm glad we've got that straight, He wont ever play in the centre of midfield for Bristol City again because you say so.

The last time he played centre mid for us was last season, without even doing any digging I can remember him playing their at Tranmere early doors. The reason he doesnt play their is because Lee johnson has been doing a fine job and its too much of a luxury to play them both together.

If what you are saying is correct then I think Noble would be just aswell looking for another club because I cant see us going with that system too often with the strikers that we now have on the books.

Ask David Noble what he would call himself and I think its a safe bet he wouldnt say "I'm a support striker". As I said, He done a superb job for us in that position last season when we needed him to and I'm sure he could do it again. However, do you really see us being in a position where we only have a couple strikers available this season?

I'm glad we've got that straight, He wont ever play in the centre of midfield for Bristol City again because you say so.

The last time he played centre mid for us was last season, without even doing any digging I can remember him playing their at Tranmere early doors. The reason he doesnt play their is because Lee johnson has been doing a fine job and its too much of a luxury to play them both together.

If what you are saying is correct then I think Noble would be just aswell looking for another club because I cant see us going with that system too often with the strikers that we now have on the books.

Ask David Noble what he would call himself and I think its a safe bet he wouldnt say "I'm a support striker". As I said, He done a superb job for us in that position last season when we needed him to and I'm sure he could do it again. However, do you really see us being in a position where we only have a couple strikers available this season?

Lets keep it civil mate.

I am saying it is highly unlikely he will play centre midfield for us this season based on 1, Gary Johnson's team selections. 2, Gary Johnson's public comments 3, The physical demands of the championsip. All of which are fair assumtions based on the perceved facts.

All i'm saying, is that it isn't a straight swap between Noble and Johnson, and it is unlikely to be.

I take your point on what David Noble would call himself, but with respect, unless the boss thinks he's a centre midfielder it's irrelevant. I can definitely see us playing like last season, with noble 'in the hole', especially in away games. His ability to hold on to the ball can be the difference from being under the cosh for 90 and becoming an effective counter attacking unit.

Front six; Sproule, Johnson, Elliott, McIncoe; Noble; Trundle/Byfield.

Not that hard to imagine huh?

Noble coming into centre midfield with Russell was pivotal in turning GJ's first season around.

That's not a fact it's your summing up of a situation and it'll be interesting in seeing the type of midfielder GJ brings in if AR joins Northampton permanently.Noble is the only player we have that can play in that withdrawn role and he's also the nearest thing we have to a play maker.

Me too and LJ & DN are both good players-However, there is always the question of form & fitness.

Gaffer Bristol Boy

It's hard to quote you as you write in the quote so apologies for copying the above!

On your first point, GJ's first season was two seasons ago and yes Noble's introduction did make a difference, he's a class player.

Secondly, i didn't say it was a fact bud, just likely.

Thirdly, Nobes is a top player with fitness issues. Johnson is a top player with no fitness issues. As you well know, teams play better with a stable, consitant line up. Until Noble proves fitness, he can't be included as a starting centre midfielder. IMO!

Lets keep it civil mate.

I am saying it is highly unlikely he will play centre midfield for us this season based on 1, Gary Johnson's team selections. 2, Gary Johnson's public comments 3, The physical demands of the championsip. All of which are fair assumtions based on the perceved facts.

All i'm saying, is that it isn't a straight swap between Noble and Johnson, and it is unlikely to be.

I take your point on what David Noble would call himself, but with respect, unless the boss thinks he's a centre midfielder it's irrelevant. I can definitely see us playing like last season, with noble 'in the hole', especially in away games. His ability to hold on to the ball can be the difference from being under the cosh for 90 and becoming an effective counter attacking unit.

Front six; Sproule, Johnson, Elliott, McIncoe; Noble; Trundle/Byfield.

Not that hard to imagine huh?

I thought I was being Civil :englandsmile4wf:

I agree its certainly an option but I just cant see us going with it when you look at the shape of our current squad. GJ playing Noble with 1 striker lets say for arguments sake its Trundle leaving probably Byfield, Sproule(Who GJ see's as a striker at the moment),Jevons, Showumni and possibly even Brooker where exactly!!??

Its seems abit strange to me that he was prepared to loan out Alex Russell if he believed we have no other natural replacement for Johnson - other than Noble.

Its seems abit strange to me that he was prepared to loan out Alex Russell if he believed we have no other natural replacement for Johnson - other than Noble.

The loans are a double edged sword to be honest.

On the one hand, we need them to get and keep the fringe players match fit due to our lack or resev football and on the other hand we lose players at a time when we might need them.For example, had Skuse not recovred from his wack against FGR we would have had only two fit midfielders for Cov & WBA.

Elliott will be suspended by the time we've played a dozen games and that's another issue because I'll have a fit if we ever partner Noble & LJ again in a two, especially with wingers.

Secondly, i didn't say it was a fact bud, just likely.

Thirdly, Nobes is a top player with fitness issues. Johnson is a top player with no fitness issues. As you well know, teams play better with a stable, consitant line up. Until Noble proves fitness, he can't be included as a starting centre midfielder. IMO!

Two points.

Not being a pedant, but you did say "Noble (He) won't play for BCFC in central midfield again and that's pretty definitive.

Secondly, how does Noble prove his fitness apart from playing ninety minutes for the reserves and playing three? reserve games or part of, recently?

There's a long way to go and injuries, loss of form & suspensions will all take their toll.

Eventually, I can see us going 4-4-1-1 especially away from home where we're struggling to retain the ball.At that point, we'll need three central midfielders and with Russell & Artus out on loan, we've only got four!

I can see Russell leaving in the window and that'll give GJ a chance to assess where we are and bring in another quality central midfielder, if only on loan.I wouldn't mind Ireland from Man City if we're there or there abouts and that's position will attract that kind of player.

Lee Johnson is good enough for this division IMO though he can still improve as can nearly all of our players.

He needs to make better decisions with the ball at times and score more.

It does amuse me the number of people that say "He was crap apart from the goal" or "Until he set that goal up he was rubbish". That's what he's there for.

If he was able to dominate a midfield like Elliott and create and score goals his name would be Gerrard and he'd be playing for Liverpool.

I think we have a decent balance with him and Elliott, but I hope Noble pushes them both hard and gets some time on the pitch too.

QUOTE(havanatopia @ Sep 20 2007, 1:02 AM) *

I think your last sentence answers your question; if he makes one assist per match he will be first on the team sheet and rightly.

QUOTE (Bristol Boy @ Sep 20 2007, 1:26 PM) * One good thing a game? I'd agree if you were talking about a goal a game, but an assist?? The assist against WBA goes down to Elliott and Weds, Trundle anyway.

Bristol Boy... Firstly, I did not say 'one good THING per game' and as for the assist I stand corrected, however, I was quoting from Alex BCFC and assumed he had his facts straight.

If we had the chance to look at the ProZone Stats, i think you will find Lj, top of our club in passes completed, and in the top 10 in the Championship, he is the scapegoat make no doubt about that, he is the hub of the team on and off the pitch, and if he has proven to the top players at the club,carey,orr,ect that he isnt daddys spy then we should all back him when his form dips, i remember last season all this started but by the end he turned everyone around, and in all the big games he shone, and he will again.

Lj is the player that annoys the fans because he is lightweight, but watch his movement, now Elliot is along side him as was Darren Way at Yeovil, we will see the best of him, in mentioning that, you ask any Yeovil fan who the best player was and most would say Way, because he charges around and wins the ball for Johnson, and Elliot will do the same for him, its a new partnership, only 6 games old, but this is the one that will take us to the playoffs.

As for Noble, lets wait until he is fit, i think Gj will play him in front of the midfield, but he wont last the season and Johnson will, he has committed 3 more years to this club, and he will play a big part in those years, lets get behind all of them.

But will GJ make that decision or will it be his achilles heel?

So why hasn't he in our six games?

One good thing a game? I'd agree if you were talking about a goal a game, but an assist?? The assist against WBA goes down to Elliott and Weds, Trundle anyway.

Our midfield, particularly away hasn't been great although, our record is actually better away than at home.We've doe well off scraps.LJ didn't play at Blackpool and we were poor there as well-At home, we've deserved our five points, but we've lacked guile and ideas in all the games.

I think LJ's a decent player and have defended him on countless times when people have a pop at him for playing for his dad because that's not his doing-however, as a player, he needs to be doing a great deal more, based on his ability and he hasn't shone this season.

WBA's "midfield" lost at Burnley & Sheff Utd so, perhaps we'll come up against a better midfield in our next two home games?-We are where we are, based on excellent defending and brilliant goalkeeping from all three keepers, but Basso in particular.

Actually, LT is starting to attract quite a few groans every now and then as he's to easily brushed aside-Don't worry, if he doesn't do it at £1m and massive wonga, he'll soon get some.

Agree with that and, as you say, both players need to do more based on their ability.

It was a ten yard pass into feet mate-How about conceeding the free kick that nearly cost us the points or giving the ball away on numerous occassions if you're going to pick out one offs.

In the right formation, I wouldn't argue with that although his contribution in the final third needs to go up several notches if he's to become a complete midfielder and that's needed if we play a two and not a three.

Not on one pass, Andy

Bristol Boy, My original post referred to the opinion that LJ may not be performing to his potential and who could be a direct replacement. This assumed GJ had decided on his formation and tactics. So who would partner Elliott in midfield with the rest of the team remaining unchanged. My original choice was give CS the opportunity over DN for the reasons previously described.

Archived