IGNORED

Whatever Happened To?

Hope and pray

Beaner....ahhh...those coach two days!!!

(a.k.a. nick baker) He actually stopped going after having an arguement with Danny Wilson and he vowed never to step foot inside the stadium while he was still in charge. Not sure if he ever came back, but he was like the fricking rain man or something when it came to City Stats....I don't think it was only back to the 70's either...i've a feeling he knew way before then. Think he must've read the BCFC book released in the mid 80's which detailed every city match.

I used to work with this guy and he was an absolute madman. Rain Man is indeed an accurate description. I remember he followed City everywhere - getting days off in order to get to some godforsaken early-round LDV away fixture. He was obsessed with City stats and Scrabble and consequently did not enjoy much luck with the ladies.....

I remember the old open end and a guy we called "Big Merv" - a big chap!! Who would give the coppers friendly stick and sometimes the opposition supporters some too - great laugh.

It was in the old 3 div days, Jordans first time in charge and if we lost he would say "right thats its I'm never coming down again!" but he would - after another defeat he said "We will never be promoted as long as I live and I'm never coming down again" - next game he didn't turn up and same again for the next game. We found out about 3/4 games later he died of a heart attack!! That same season we were promoted!! So he was right!

Great guy

Blimey - I haven't thought of big Mervyn for years. Thanks for jogging my memory. A larger than life character in ever respect. He certainly provided a lot of entertainment to those lucky enough to stand around him.

Another character from the 70's I remember was "Jack" who held court in the enclosure - he stood by the wall of the Grandstand (now the Williams) towards the Open End. Black moustache, sounded as though he had no teeth and was always on about "... that bloody Feary, waste of space". "Come on the 'leven men" was one of his regular shouts. He was quite irreverent but very entertaining. Any one else remember him?

I remember the old open end and a guy we called "Big Merv" - a big chap!! Who would give the coppers friendly stick and sometimes the opposition supporters some too - great laugh.

It was in the old 3 div days, Jordans first time in charge and if we lost he would say "right thats its I'm never coming down again!" but he would - after another defeat he said "We will never be promoted as long as I live and I'm never coming down again" - next game he didn't turn up and same again for the next game. We found out about 3/4 games later he died of a heart attack!! That same season we were promoted!! So he was right!

Great guy

I remember him, I was a young lad at the time, transfixed by his gut and his little Citizen Smith hat. Would take the mick out of everybody and his group of cronies would hang on his every word, p1ssing themselves.

Mervyn Coulter. I rememder him well, about 6 foot 6 and built like a brick sh1thouse.

Hell of a loud voice that the players and ref could hear quite clearly. Very often they would acknowledge his comments.

He was a bouncer at the Worrell Rooms in Clifton.

On evening matches he often turned up in his bouncers uniform (smart suit etc.) and rushed off to work at the final whistle.

I used to stand just to the right of him, because you knew there wouldn't be any trouble near him!

Sorry to hear that he died as I often wondered what happened to him.

Yeah - I remember him in the suit! I stood behind him - funny must have seen u all those years - There should be a Open end reunion!!

I remember getting some right soakings!! But just great - real footie fans

Used to be a little core of "nutters" in the East End on the corner where the oppo fans now sit.Course we used to stand in those days swaying with crowd as crackers corner would come out with more hysterical comments.It was almost worth the entrance money in itself.What I'd give for those days again.

Surely crackers corner was in the open end, roughly where the band sits now.

Tony Harling=Absolute Legend!

When i was a youngster in the early to Mid 1980's The man made me laugh hearing him sing solo from his seat in the Williams!

Great to see he's been back to The Gate recently, Top Top City fan! (& Absolute F'ing Nutter)

So is this the Guy that would always start the Give me a C, an I, a T and Y on his own from the Grandstand then the Eastend would respond.

Archived