IGNORED

Whatever Happened To?

Hope and pray

Now that things are buzzing again at the Gate I have started reflecting on good times from the past. Over the years I clearly remember seeing a number of real characters in the crowd, both at away games and at home. In many cases they were people to be admired for their passionate public support of the club although probably most people considered them friendly 'nutters'. I frequently spot familiar faces at away games but the one who stands out above all the others was a chap who I think was called Tony Harling. Fully decked out in City colours he would belt out songs and chants single handedly from his seat in the Williams stand. I think he also had a bugle if I remember correctly. His vocal support was also heard at away games. I believe that away from the Gate he was a quiet, unassuming bloke who lived near Reading, so he really was a genuine 'nutter'. I wonder what happened to him? Hopefully now we are on the up a few more characters will add to the flavour.

wHERES the man with all the badges on his hat from the Attyeo?

Is this the same chap who werars a red robin hood type of hat with a feather, living in Knowle I've often seen him about

locally.

I believe he went on the pre seson tour of Latvia ,obviously a City die hard and he seems to know all of the City players.

Just out of curiosity is he a local celeb.

Is this the same chap who werars a red robin hood type of hat with a feather, living in Knowle I've often seen him about

locally.

I believe he went on the pre seson tour of Latvia ,obviously a City die hard and he seems to know all of the City players.

:laugh:, no that guys called sonic or something like that l believe...

locally.

thats Stoney Garnett

locally.

Stoney Garnett and used to be Citys matchday host.

Now that things are buzzing again at the Gate I have started reflecting on good times from the past. Over the years I clearly remember seeing a number of real characters in the crowd, both at away games and at home. In many cases they were people to be admired for their passionate public support of the club although probably most people considered them friendly 'nutters'. I frequently spot familiar faces at away games but the one who stands out above all the others was a chap who I think was called Tony Harling. Fully decked out in City colours he would belt out songs and chants single handedly from his seat in the Williams stand. I think he also had a bugle if I remember correctly. His vocal support was also heard at away games. I believe that away from the Gate he was a quiet, unassuming bloke who lived near Reading, so he really was a genuine 'nutter'. I wonder what happened to him? Hopefully now we are on the up a few more characters will add to the flavour.

Tony Harling was there for the Man City game, bit older, bit quieter!

locally.

Sounds like Stoney Garnet

I remember Beanie from many years ago, I attended the Sensible Soccer club with him on a monday night downa t the Gate in the mid 90s.. Yes, the guy could remember every game, result, weather, referee and scorer.. He was also renound for his beanie shuffle..

The funniest monent I recall was at the last Sensible Soccer tournement I attended..Beanie made it in the semi finals and was on the make the final and win the pot money of about £50.00..Sadly towards the end of the semi final he was winning 2-0 but this little kid thought it would be funny to pull the plug out of the back of the amiga power box..The biggest mayhem ive ever seen occured which resulted in the screen going blank and Beanie getting up, kicking over all the chairs and then crying in the corner..He lost the replay 5-0..

Tony Harling=Absolute Legend!

When i was a youngster in the early to Mid 1980's The man made me laugh hearing him sing solo from his seat in the Williams!

Great to see he's been back to The Gate recently, Top Top City fan! (& Absolute F'ing Nutter)

Is that the guy who used to wear a red bobble hat in the Upper Williams, shouting come on you reds on his own?

Remember him well.

How about the guy who used to run in from Tickenham every home match... he still goes.

Beaner in the Aisle, Beaner in the Aisle, La la la la ooh!

Beaner....ahhh...those coach two days!!!

(a.k.a. nick baker) He actually stopped going after having an arguement with Danny Wilson and he vowed never to step foot inside the stadium while he was still in charge. Not sure if he ever came back, but he was like the fricking rain man or something when it came to City Stats....I don't think it was only back to the 70's either...i've a feeling he knew way before then. Think he must've read the BCFC book released in the mid 80's which detailed every city match.

I remember the old open end and a guy we called "Big Merv" - a big chap!! Who would give the coppers friendly stick and sometimes the opposition supporters some too - great laugh.

It was in the old 3 div days, Jordans first time in charge and if we lost he would say "right thats its I'm never coming down again!" but he would - after another defeat he said "We will never be promoted as long as I live and I'm never coming down again" - next game he didn't turn up and same again for the next game. We found out about 3/4 games later he died of a heart attack!! That same season we were promoted!! So he was right!

Great guy

Over the years I clearly remember seeing a number of real characters in the crowd, both at away games and at home. Hopefully now we are on the up a few more characters will add to the flavour.

Sorry pal, but sad to say "Characters" are not what the marketing people look for in this day & age of commercial sponsorship and premium seats etc. :disapointed2se:

I remember the old open end and a guy we called "Big Merv" - a big chap!! Who would give the coppers friendly stick and sometimes the opposition supporters some too - great laugh.

It was in the old 3 div days, Jordans first time in charge and if we lost he would say "right thats its I'm never coming down again!" but he would - after another defeat he said "We will never be promoted as long as I live and I'm never coming down again" - next game he didn't turn up and same again for the next game. We found out about 3/4 games later he died of a heart attack!! That same season we were promoted!! So he was right!

Great guy

Mervyn Coulter. I rememder him well, about 6 foot 6 and built like a brick sh1thouse.

Hell of a loud voice that the players and ref could hear quite clearly. Very often they would acknowledge his comments.

He was a bouncer at the Worrell Rooms in Clifton.

On evening matches he often turned up in his bouncers uniform (smart suit etc.) and rushed off to work at the final whistle.

I used to stand just to the right of him, because you knew there wouldn't be any trouble near him!

Sorry to hear that he died as I often wondered what happened to him.

Archived