IGNORED

Defending At Home

Bristol Boy

Our Home Record

P4 W1 D3 L0 F7 A6

Three away games, only one goal conceeded despite being under heavy pressure in al three games.

So:

Are we better suited to playing away?

I don't think we'd have conceeded the equalisers against QPR & Burnley if McCombe was playing-So do we need to change our back four who have defended brilliantly away from home to get Big Mac back in the team or would we lose out in open play? Should we move to three central defenders?

Seems an unusual question given recent MOM performances or close to from Carey & Fontaine, but the stats don't lie all that often.

Even playing at a higher level the team will be expected to attack more at home so playing the same style at home as they do away probably isn't going to go down well with the crowd - and criticism from the crowd will make it harder for the players to perform well at any tactic.

I don't think Jamie McCombe should come back until he's completely fit and performing well for the reserves. Gary Johnson will know when the time is right, and he has to earn his place back. Even then he should maybe only be an option to be used against the bigger, more direct sides. Fontaine is a better footballer.

Our Home Record

P4 W1 D3 L0 F7 A6

Three away games, only one goal conceeded despite being under heavy pressure in al three games.

So:

I don't think we'd have conceeded the equalisers against QPR & Burnley if McCombe was playing-So do we need to change our back four who have defended brilliantly away from home to get Big Mac back in the team or would we lose out in open play? Should we move to three central defenders?

Seems an unusual question given recent MOM performances or close to from Carey & Fontaine, but the stats don't lie all that often.

Both goals yesterday were caused by unforced errors and if you look past Johnson's contribution the back-four froze on both occasions. Where were the bodies preventing Andy Gray's tap-in and Clarke Carlisle's overhead kick? If you look at these photographs: http://www.burnleyfootballclub.premiumtv.c...3~37586,00.html, it appears that Elliott should have stayed on the post to prevent the equaliser.

Better leadership is required in those situations and Carey should be yelling at his cohorts.

Two points to be addressed here then.

Firstly, we are better suited to play away from home at the minute, we have an excellent character and work rate, and we soak up pressure well. We have pace and commitment from our wide players, and Trundle occupies players making counter attacking easier. At home, we're not quite creative enough, However we've scored 7 in 4 which is a great record, and really should have closed out both QPR and Burnley. Maybe a lack of experience and knowhow is costing us?

With regard to the defence, we definitely shouldn't go to three at the back. We're very solid at the back, and i believe to play this effectivley, your two wing backs need to be the most creative players. That said, i would bring JMC in for fontaine, which would be harsh despite his string of excellent performances. I agree with you, that we probably wouldn't have conceded those late goals with the extra height and prowess that JMC brings.

I don't think our defence is doing anything different at home than it does away. And if Sheffield Wednesday and Coventry had been less wasteful (or perhaps just a bit more lucky) in front of goal, the stats would have been very different.

I would like to see McCombe back in the side too, just to clear more of those aerial balls, but it would be very harsh to drop Carey or Fontaine at the moment.

With the pace of Sproule, McIndoe, Wilson and now Byfield City have the qualities no play 'on the break' away from home.Thats exactly what happened at H'boro and Coventry.

Not so at home. Teams go away expecting to be on the back foot and set up accordingly (WBA excepted) Its upto the home side to break them down.

Changing the formation/players is not necessary based on three home draws so far. Much as I rate McCombe I can't see that he would have made much difference in any of the home draws.

With the pace of Sproule, McIndoe, Wilson and now Byfield City have the qualities no play 'on the break' away from home.Thats exactly what happened at H'boro and Coventry.

Not so at home. Teams go away expecting to be on the back foot and set up accordingly (WBA excepted) Its upto the home side to break them down.

Changing the formation/players is not necessary based on three home draws so far. Much as I rate McCombe I can't see that he would have made much difference in any of the home draws.

Exactly, apart from the top top teams in this division, most teams play away and set out to be on the back foot, as our team looks to be like a counter attackign team, it'll probably harder to win at home rather than away.

Our Home Record

P4 W1 D3 L0 F7 A6

So:

at no time in our history has we been very well suited to playing away and at no time in our history have we won more games away from home than at home in a season, therefore, I'd be very surprised if we end up with a better away record than home record

and no, you are right stats don't lie that often, its the interpretation of statistics that matters.

Why do you think this?

Clear the first ball, don't worry about the second and third-Now look at the goals conceeded against QPR & Burnley

at no time in our history has we been very well suited to playing away

This team may be at the moment, possibly due to a lack of creativity in midfield.The Taylor/Turner won a pile away and we did well last season away.In BT's only full season I think our home and away records were indentical :dunno:

and at no time in our history have we won more games away from home than at home in a season, therefore, I'd be very surprised if we end up with a better away record than home record.

So the solution to our home defensive record is.......

and no, you are right stats don't lie that often, its the interpretation of statistics that matters.

Quite correct so what's your interpretation of the ones above that show 6 points from 12 at home when compared to 7 from 9 away with only one goal conceeded??

We have been a little luckier away from home I think (especially Sheff Wed) but we seem to get very nervous when defending set pieces at home which is the opposite of last season where we barely conceeded those types of goals. As someone said, we do miss McCombe but Fotaine is playing out of his skin right now so what can you do?!

We have been a little luckier away from home I think (especially Sheff Wed) but we seem to get very nervous when defending set pieces at home which is the opposite of last season where we barely conceeded those types of goals. As someone said, we do miss McCombe but Fotaine is playing out of his skin right now so what can you do?!

Two ideas:

1.Fontaine to LB and McCombe at centre half.

2.Play 3-5-2:

........BASSO................

.....CAREY.......MCCOMBE......FONTAINE................

WILSON......ELLIOTT......SKUSE...........NOBLE............MCALLLISTER..

.............BYFIELD..TRUNDLE.......

SUBS

WEALE

JOHNSON

MURRAY

VASKO

MCINDOE

Solves the conundrum of how to play McCombe when Fontaine's playing well.Plays the in form players, gives us creativity and defensive cover in midfield and brings in Byfield, Noble & McCombe, whilst resting LJ.

That still leaves Showunmi, Sproule, Jevons, Brooker & Betsy as injured or out and the five lads on loan.

I just think there is no pressure when we are away. We are playing teams that are established in the Championship like Sheff Wed, Coventry etc... and we go there relaxed knowing the pressure is on them to come and attack us.

Like othrs have said, we have the pace to counter them so we simply do so and score goals.

MM

Two ideas:

1.Fontaine to LB and McCombe at centre half.

2.Play 3-5-2:

........BASSO...

.....CAREY.......MCCOMBE......FONTAINE...

WILSON......ELLIOTT......SKUSE...........NOBLE............MCALLLISTER..

.............BYFIELD..TRUNDLE.......

SUBS

WEALE

JOHNSON

MURRAY

VASKO

MCINDOE

Solves the conundrum of how to play McCombe when Fontaine's playing well.Plays the in form players, gives us creativity and defensive cover in midfield and brings in Byfield, Noble & McCombe, whilst resting LJ.

That still leaves Showunmi, Sproule, Jevons, Brooker & Betsy as injured or out and the five lads on loan.

I think the whole 3 centre backs issue is an interesting one. In English football (including the England team against Croatia for instance) it seems to cause confusion. From what I have seen there is a tendency for any one of the centre backs to leave balls to the other two. I think there may have been an element of that against Burnley when GJ pulled Vasko back to protect our lead. At the corner none of our 3 centre backs attacked the first ball. At the same time I do believe playing Noble in the hole, with ME and CS behind him, would help bring the best of of LT, who tends to be isolated and surrounded by defenders. I'm still not sure how keen GJ is on Noble and I don't think he sees him as an orthodox midfield player. Conundrum indeed.

Archived