Midge

Guest Garfunkle
When everyone is fit

Basso

Carey - McCombe - Fontaine

Sproule - Elliot - Johnson - McIndoe

Trundle

Byfield Jevons

i think there is a reason why the top teams in the prem play 4 at the back....

When everyone is fit

Basso

Trundle

Byfield Jevons

Not much - defensively very weak with only three defenders and wide men that aren't well known for tracking back......Looks good going forward but that ain't likely without the ball.

Have another guess........ :noexpression:

Guest Garfunkle
What about:

Basso

Orr - Carey - McCombe - MCallister

Murray - Elliot - McIndoe

Trundle

Byfield Sproule

what about the boring dull 4 4 2 thats kept us unbeaten up to this point (and also got us promoted) ???

Listen pal,there was a thread saying that people aren't putting much on the forum at the moment so all i did was post something for people to talk about.

I'm very happy with the 442 that we use but as an alternative I just wanted to see what other options we could use,if you can't come up with something why post a reply

When everyone is fit

Basso

Trundle

Byfield Jevons

On current form I'd have Noble in for Johnson and Wilson in for Sproule and then it might be interesting at home against weaker sides or if we are chasing a game. McIndoe and Wilson do have defensive sides to their game and both work hard so it might work well.

GJ will be playing 442 though :)

you are joking right?

surely you don't think that is a way of judging anything in real football do you? :dunno:

If GJ relied on that and not his own knowledge we would be screwed........thankfully he has a football brain.

Yes mate I was joking

You should take a long look at yourself if you actually thought it wasn't

On current form I'd have Noble in for Johnson and Wilson in for Sproule and then it might be interesting at home against weaker sides or if we are chasing a game. McIndoe and Wilson do have defensive sides to their game and both work hard so it might work well.

How can you say that when Noble hasnt played a proper game since May 5th?

Because I don't think Johnson's played well enough so far this season so if Noble's fit I'd give him a change to do better.

But Noble's current form runs out at May 5th last season. Johnson's playing regularly so its unfair to say "on current form" On current form LJ gets in the team over Nobes every time. On ABILITY (which i think you mean) then yes, i would pick Nobes ahead of LJ.

But Noble's current form runs out at May 5th last season. Johnson's playing regularly so its unfair to say "on current form" On current form LJ gets in the team over Nobes every time.

I meant LJ's current form not Noble's. Since he doesn't have any current form I didn't see the need to elaborate. I don't see how you can ever judge the form of a player who's not playing so why the confusion?

IMO Johnson's playing badly right now. It's reasonable to work on the assumption that if he's fit and training well (and the fact that he gets through reserve games indicates he is) then Noble will play at least average and for me that would be enough to displace LJ right now.

And no, I don't mean ability. LJ is playing nowhere near his ability and if he was I'd have him in ahead of Noble because he creates far more goals.

I would have thought GJ will put Noble on the bech before starting him, especially for an away game. Skuse might make way for David on the bench, but I can't see LJ getting dropped from the starting line up for a player ith no games under his belt this season.

I would have thought GJ will put Noble on the bech before starting him, especially for an away game. Skuse might make way for David on the bench, but I can't see LJ getting dropped from the starting line up for a player ith no games under his belt this season.

Agree with that. I don't see Skuse as in any way able to take the more creative role in midfield and Elliott looks far less likely that LJ to need replacing.

If he did move onto a 352, which he tried a few times last season then the first post wouldnt be too far wrong....

............Carey, McCombe, Fontaine

Wilson, Marvelous Marv, Johnson, McIndoe/McCalister

.........Trundle

...Sproule, Byfield

That has the defensive side, the attacking flair and a nice compact midfield, but a possible lack of width if the wingbacks are made to defend too much

But Noble's current form runs out at May 5th last season. Johnson's playing regularly so its unfair to say "on current form" On current form LJ gets in the team over Nobes every time. On ABILITY (which i think you mean) then yes, i would pick Nobes ahead of LJ.

on LJ's current form I would rather play with 10 men then pick him and I am only half joking.....

even a semi fit Noble must be worth a shout.

My ideal team away from home at the moment would be:-

Basso

Orr Carey Fontaine McCallister

Wilson Elliott Noble McIndoe

Byfield Trundle

Subs - Weale, Vasko (can do two jobs), Johnson, Skuse, Sproule

At home I would swap Sproule for Wilson and have Murray replacing Skuse on the bench (I know two players will not interchange like that in Gary Johnson's real world before I get some pathetic $martar$e reply). I would also like to see some serious competition for McCallister who has yet to hit his straps.

On current form you'd surely have to have Fontaine in place of McCombe.

what about the boring dull 4 4 2 thats kept us unbeaten up to this point (and also got us promoted) ???

It's also given us one home win from four so I think we need to address that fact, albeit not with that initial selection

and above all you cant change a winning side.

Why not? Benitez, Mourihno, Wenger & Fergie do it all the time-Plus the fact that we've drawn the last two games, at home

however, the only change i would make for saturday is bring sproule over to the right wing and put byfied up front. to be fair wilson has played well on the right hand side, but sproule seems to be more of a threat on the wing and byfield is looking very lively up front. 3 in 3 isnt bad!

Sproule went right wing second half against Burnley and was annonymous.I've seen every game he's played and I can't see what the fuss is about with Sproule who's been largely played out of position and unimpressive.Wilson has had some good games, got the winner at Wednesday and the gets dropped. :noexpression:

and i didnt think i'd be saying this at the start of the season, but i certainly wouldnt let mccombe walk back into the side as i expected him to. fontaine is suddenly awesome, and is more than holding his own at the back next to louis.

But we're still conceeding late goals from crosses so that, once again, needs looking at

team for saturday:

My ideal team away from home at the moment would be:-

Basso

Orr Carey Fontaine McCallister

Wilson Elliott Noble McIndoe

Byfield Trundle

Subs - Weale, Vasko (can do two jobs), Johnson, Skuse, Sproule

Swap Sproule for Murray and that's not bad in a 4-4-2

At home I would swap Sproule for Wilson and have Murray replacing Skuse on the bench (I know two players will not interchange like that in Gary Johnson's real world before I get some pathetic $martar$e reply). I would also like to see some serious competition for McCallister who has yet to hit his straps.

McAllister may be replaced by Fontaine if GJ wants to get McCombe back for his first ball winning capability.Why swap Sproule for Wilson at home? I thought Wilson was far better against Burnley on Saturday and is generally in better form than Sproule who, quite frankly, has disappointed me overall, although I do realise he's been played out of position mainly.

Murray's an effective sub and knows where the net is and you always need a good balance on the bench.

Archived