IGNORED

Hen & Chicken

CiderMeUp

What have they done to the place!!!

I saw it was open for the West Brom game (after the refurb) so popped in for a ganders.

I was well dissapointed! It's been turned into some ponsey bar/food place for students types!!! I didnt even see a TV in there whereas the old set up was great for pre match drinks with TV's, Pool Tables etc situated throughout!!

The whole North Street Area seems to be going this way & I know this is not a bad thing but what were left with is Pubs or Bars with very little pre-match atmosphere.

Not sure what they got planned for the Rising Sun, anyone know?

I saw it was open for the West Brom game (after the refurb) so popped in for a ganders.

I was well dissapointed! It's been turned into some ponsey bar/food place for students types!!! I didnt even see a TV in there whereas the old set up was great for pre match drinks with TV's, Pool Tables etc situated throughout!!

The whole North Street Area seems to be going this way & I know this is not a bad thing but what were left with is Pubs or Bars with very little pre-match atmosphere.

Probably another ponsey bar/food place for students types!!! :whistle2:

I know. I was born on Coronation Road (well in a house there not actually in the road ;) ) and spent much of my youth in the Hen and Chicken. That end of North Street is becoming gentrified (an olive shop for pete's sake). Have you seen the Lower Clifton poster? Only the Lion Stores and good old Clark's Pies seem to be left. No doubt this is progress but not the place for football supporters unless you like a skinny latte and a prawn sandwich before the match. Will Ashton Gate be next? :(

The luckwell pub has a good atmos, Avon Packet is a place I been known to visit pre match

Hi,

I'm opening bar BS3, should be ready 15th Oct.

I know what you mean about the Hen & Chicken, i thought exactly the same when i popped in to check it out last week.

The old Rising sun is being totally refubished from top to bottom and re-opening as Bar BS3, but don't worry we arent going for the "poncey wine bar" type of feel!

The front bar will be modern and stylish but will have 2 giant screens, and 4 large plasmas with cinema quality surround sound and we will be showing all live T.V sports including setanta, in HD for the games that are available in HD.

There will still be a quieter lounge bar out the back for those that prefer the more traditional surroundings.

Food will be available everyday, luchtimes and evenings, but only evenings on Matchdays as obviously it is too busy to get food out in the hours before kick off.

A full entertainment programme will be on during the week with live bands on saturdays nights plus, disco, Quiz & race nights throuought the week.

If anyone would like more information or to kept informed about the opening, please feel free to PM me and ill keep you posted.

Cheers

Rob

Bar BS3

It does seem that North Street is becoming a land of caffe's and more 'civilised' bars/pubs, over the past couple of years. It was better when my mate owned the Hen & Chicken :innocent06:

Though it will take a while to get the crack heads outta' the flats opposite!

I go Shp & Castle or the Robins before drinks. Footie on the TV and good atmosphere.

Hi,

I know what you mean about the Hen & Chicken, i thought exactly the same when i popped in to check it out last week.

The old Rising sun is being totally refubished from top to bottom and re-opening as Bar BS3, but don't worry we arent going for the "poncey wine bar" type of feel!

The front bar will be modern and stylish but will have 2 giant screens, and 4 large plasmas with cinema quality surround sound and we will be showing all live T.V sports including setanta, in HD for the games that are available in HD.

There will still be a quieter lounge bar out the back for those that prefer the more traditional surroundings.

Food will be available everyday, luchtimes and evenings, but only evenings on Matchdays as obviously it is too busy to get food out in the hours before kick off.

A full entertainment programme will be on during the week with live bands on saturdays nights plus, disco, Quiz & race nights throuought the week.

If anyone would like more information or to kept informed about the opening, please feel free to PM me and ill keep you posted.

Cheers

Rob

Bar BS3

Rob what proper beer (real ale) will you will be doing in there - the only time i went in the Rising Sun the choice was John Smiths Smooth, Courage Best or a range of gassy lagers, so i walked straight back out again.

If you have say Bass, Hobgoblin, Butcombe, etc I will be in there every week.

Cheers.

Rob what proper beer (real ale) will you will be doing in there - the only time i went in the Rising Sun the choice was John Smiths Smooth, Courage Best or a range of gassy lagers, so i walked straight back out again.

If you have say Bass, Hobgoblin, Butcombe, etc I will be in there every week.

Cheers.

[/quote

Hi

We will be having two real ales on. One being Courage Best form cask not keg, so the proper stuff, the other will rotate depending on demand, so ill bare in mind your suggestions and look forward to seeing you soon!

Cheers Rob

The rising sun is being took over by the people that used to own the ship and castle and they are turning it into a proper city pub and the ship and castle is going to be more like a restaurant/bar i think

Good luck with the bar mate, but I would strongly recommend you do some bar snacks on a saturday (if not chips etc then maybe filled rolls?)

Am sure quite a few fans would rather pay for that than £2.80 for a hotdog outside the ground.

all the best

Good luck with the bar mate, but I would strongly recommend you do some bar snacks on a saturday (if not chips etc then maybe filled rolls?)

Am sure quite a few fans would rather pay for that than £2.80 for a hotdog outside the ground.

all the best

Yeah we will be doing filled rolls, as i used to do at the Ship, which were very popular. Just wont be practicle to do usual food menu.

Cheers

Rob

:englandsmile4wf:

I dunno why everyones surprised - once the smoking ban came it it was pretty much curtains for the traditional pub and I would expect many more to close over the next couple of years. I've lived in southville/ashton on and off for 10 years and the place (North Street) has changed massively in that time. Personally I think there is room for ponsey wine bars and proper pubs, but I'm more worried that at night North St is turning into a mini version of Whiteladies Road, there was even a plan to turn the old carpet shop opposite the Tobacco Factory into a Henry Africas cocktail bar, which as a resident I objected to. There's no need for 5 pubs in the space of 200 yards (already have Tobacco factory, Lounge, cafe sazz, quba ice and H&C).

plenty of pubs up on Gloucester rd you could use prematch. :ph34r: pool tables the lot..shall i leave now?..better had or not going to get a good parking place.. :englandflag:

There's no need for 5 pubs in the space of 200 yards (already have Tobacco factory, Lounge, cafe sazz, quba ice and H&C).

I once read that to be financially viable, there should be just one pub for every 900 of the population. Children and not every adult drinks, others have a swift half once a week etc.

plenty of pubs up on Gloucester rd you could use prematch. :ph34r: pool tables the lot..shall i leave now?..better had or not going to get a good parking place.. :englandflag:

You need plenty of of pubs up Glos Rd. to drown your sorrows, fewer and fewer though as your gates plummet. :w00t:

Hope you weren't you one of the fickle gasheads throwing their shirts off in disgust? :clap:

Hi,

Cheers

Rob

Bar BS3

Hope the outside stall's staying. :icecream:

Hi,

Rob is that 2007? :D

Only joking mate, the quicker the better though. The Wedlocks has gone, H&C is turn't into a student tart bar, The Coopers is okay but you can tell it's a real effort for them to be dealing with football supporters, So there's a serious lack of decent boozers in and around the gate at the moment, I'm really quite looking forward to having a pub within staggering distance from the ground with the football fan in mind.

Rob is that 2007? :D

Only joking mate, the quicker the better though. The Wedlocks has gone, H&C is turn't into a student tart bar, The Coopers is okay but you can tell it's a real effort for them to be dealing with football supporters, So there's a serious lack of decent boozers in and around the gate at the moment, I'm really quite looking forward to having a pub within staggering distance from the ground with the football fan in mind.

:laugh:, Yeah

Only 3 weeks to wait now!

all the best

good value rolls at Sumners at PNE yesterday, full of filling. @ £1.70 ........ i gave the pie, peas and tato's a miss though ..... and talking to a few that tried it, just as well

only gaymers / woodpecker cider though :(

:englandsmile4wf:

Archived