IGNORED

Worst Ground

giles_23_bcfc

Nobody metioned Swanseas old ground. That was a bit of a hovel and coupled in with having to go there quite a few times and having to pee into a hole in the ground in the loos. Then looking up the other end to see their unique half stand.

That was one of the worst for me.

Ill agree with you on that one, i only went once...i was about 7 and the toilets were so bad my dad wouldn't let me use them, legend has it he got a lady to take me in the womens...wonder who she was...i don't remeber this part of the tale but i remeber siting on one of those metal bars clutching onto a concrete pillar and everyone started singing siit down if you hate the gas... everyone sat down except me a small seven year old pinned to a shabby concrete block.

I love the old standing grounds, oxford, brentford, chesterfield(i used to find it hilarious when their half a dozen fans ran down the side at half time when chesterfield swapped ends), brightons was naf, only ever got to the minimal, have to say the away end was adequate... for camping in. Cambridge, i don't like the look of lotus road its too square in eveything, and matt hill did NOT handle the ball in their area! Colchester, Plymouth (before it was developed) York city, torquay all fairly poor grounds or in qprs case a ground i despised, but it has to be said Vetchfield beats em all hands down...in modern times...cant pass judgement on wigan though or bolton but that was ok by all accounts.

Just been looking through the fixture list on the OS and, looking at all the teams who have either been in the premiership or who have recently redeveloped their grounds or got new stadiums completely, it got me thinking about the WORST ground ive seen city play at.

For me its got to be S****horpe's ground. The away and home fans are only seperated by a7-8 foot high metal fence that has gaps between it, the toilets are basically port-a-loos and the refreshments bit is basically a burger van!

What ground would you say is the worst you've seen City play at?

Our 3-1 win over chesterfield last season was the first time i had been to saltergate. don't get me wrong great game and we city fans created a nice little atmosphere but god that groung suks! However I have only been to layer road once before but that is my wost- absoloutly terrible! don't mean to drag on but just like to make the point i actually quite like visiting these kind of tiny/old stadiums. Something about them.

I'd like to nominate Newcastle-under-Lyme Town ground. Not because it's particularly bad but this surely gives me some street cred for being one of only 3 City fans to see us there (back in the Dennis Smith days). :D

Another ground that hasn't been mentioned is Stockport County. I always recall biblical type downpourings during our games with them. The rain was the best bit generally.

Springfield Park was awful, Newport County was grim but we always took plenty and Eastville especially after the stand on the left (looking from the away end) had been burned down. Grim, empty and smelly but we always packed the away end.

But how come no-one has mentioned Blackpool? The away end pre-development was basically a concrete hill (remember seeing Junior Bent score for them against us, the little get). Still that is an improvement on facilities for away fans now.

Port Vale gets a vote for being so bleak ... really bleak.

York's not good but at least you have the choice of sitting under some covering or standing out on the terracing for old times sake.

OK most of these grounds are god damn awful, But I for one prefer them over these modern stadiums that lack any character.

Going to places like Saltergate is just part of the football experience, And I for one love it.

Barnets ground ,Underhill has to be one of the worst ,went there when we lost to them in the LDV ,think it was called that at the time .No roof at either end ,sloping pitch & floodlights that seemed like they were candle powered.How they got accepted into the football league with that ground I don,t know .

Cambridge

Swansea

Blackpool

Exeter

I can`t believe nobody has mentioned The Shay. Went there in `84....what a heap! Made Saltergate look like the San Siro.

Grass terracing around a speedway track, with two corrugated iron sheds either side.

I understand it has been largely redeveloped since.

The best thing was the 2-1 win, propelling us towards promotion, in my favourite season of supporting the City. I think Glyn Riley and Howard Pritchard scored?

Also Sealand Road, Chester was another fleapit, but getting promotion there was amazing!

Also Sealand Road, Chester was another fleapit, but getting promotion there was amazing!

No talk of "Please keep off the pitch" at Chester that day. ;)

Two thousand of us on the pitch at the end, and another thousand City fans conducting the promotion sing-song from the stand. :chant6ez:

Fantastic day after the gloom of successive relegations, made all the better for me by taking my chances hitch-hiking and being picked up by a "cider wagon" from Southmead. :clapping:

But that's another story, Chester that day was one of the best ever days following City. :city:

53 posts in, and nobody has mentioned Luton yet. To call it a shithole would be being unfair to shitholes everywhere.

Yeah, Luton it is for me as well. Most of the 'lowly' clubs quoted have some excuse for only affording a shithole, such as shelling out scarce wonga on basic survival. Luton can't claim that one. They're noty a poor club, just one who can't be arsed to give visiting supporters any basic comfort whatsoever.

For anyone in the away end with dodgy knees, JUST AVOID THE PLACE. After a dozen knee ops over the years, I can't sit down for long spells @ Luton because there's absolutely no leg room between me & the other fat blokes in front of me! So what's the choice? Stand up. Oh....hang on, tried that last time I was there & ended up in a tad of a falling out with a bunch of stewards. Still, they apparantly did me a favour by hoofing me out (####). I'll be back when the old war wounds are healed!

Yeah, Luton it is for me as well. Most of the 'lowly' clubs quoted have some excuse for only affording a shithole, such as shelling out scarce wonga on basic survival. Luton can't claim that one. They're noty a poor club, just one who can't be arsed to give visiting supporters any basic comfort whatsoever.

For anyone in the away end with dodgy knees, JUST AVOID THE PLACE. After a dozen knee ops over the years, I can't sit down for long spells @ Luton because there's absolutely no leg room between me & the other fat blokes in front of me! So what's the choice? Stand up. Oh....hang on, tried that last time I was there & ended up in a tad of a falling out with a bunch of stewards. Still, they apparantly did me a favour by hoofing me out (####). I'll be back when the old war wounds are healed!

Don`t get me wrong, I was not taking the piss out of Halifax and Chester; I love going to old-style grounds. They sure as hell beat these sterile McStadia that all look the same.

I have not been to the Liberty stadium, but it looks lika Cold War nuclear bunker. At least The Vetch had a quirky charm.

I agree about Kenilworth Road...what a toilet.

Plough lane ,the tube driver stopped to ask us the score,then went into thse supporters club and the dressing rooms and had the corner flag for a trophy.Dulwich we sat behind the BBC video tape feed (they were waiting for a shock) it looked a better game on the small screen.

In no particular order:

Wimbledon (Plough lane)

Newport

Heybridge

Harrogate Railway

Wigan ( Springfield Park)

Derby ( Baseball Ground)

Chesterfield

Colchester

Shrewsbury ( Gay Meadow)

Blackpool

Hereford

Walsall (BOTH of their grounds, old and new!!)

Brighton

I'll stop there !

what? no mention of Chester?

or Eastville, Twerton, or the Memorial ground?

Also a very silly ground. When you enter the away supporters end you could be forgiven in thinking you were walking into someones back yard! and why have they built holiday chalets along one side instead of a stand? Did someone misread the outline plan and go away on holiday?

Barnets ground ,Underhill has to be one of the worst ,went there when we lost to them in the LDV ,think it was called that at the time .No roof at either end ,sloping pitch & floodlights that seemed like they were candle powered.How they got accepted into the football league with that ground I don,t know .

I remeber that game, yes very open, i think i suffered meck damage looking up the other end, we didn't perform and there was a group of lads being the only people making noise tryin to sing one man went to burn after a fair few pints, all game, i think they got to 12 and their toungues got dizzy, Underhill was a shocking stadium tbh i liked doncaster old ground though, talking of open, exposed crap grounds. It was so cold there the one night game the watered powdery chocolate mush in the bottom of my hot cocolate, by half time had gone back to powder.

Archived