IGNORED

I've Solved The Offside Problem

bad_shrek

as posted on our forum

In my opinion, the reason dubious offsides are missed or given is because the assistant referee has to keep his eye on the ball, and the line of attack and the last defender.

to solve this, I think there should be one man on the sideline i.e. the 4th official, who has a little remote in his hand. Each assistant referee has a little contraption strapped to their arm that vibrates like a mobile the moment the remote is pressed by the 4th official.

therefore he doesn't have to watch when the ball is played. the moment he feels the vibration, he can tell immediately if the player is offside as he will feel when the ball is kicked. This would take a large amount of pressure of the assistant referee and should make life for fans a lot easier.

do you think this could work?

as posted on our forum

In my opinion, the reason dubious offsides are missed or given is because the assistant referee has to keep his eye on the ball, and the line of attack and the last defender.

to solve this, I think there should be one man on the sideline i.e. the 4th official, who has a little remote in his hand. Each assistant referee has a little contraption strapped to their arm that vibrates like a mobile the moment the remote is pressed by the 4th official.

therefore he doesn't have to watch when the ball is played. the moment he feels the vibration, he can tell immediately if the player is offside as he will feel when the ball is kicked. This would take a large amount of pressure of the assistant referee and should make life for fans a lot easier.

So the fourth official presses his remote when the ball carrier passes forward thus alerting via vibration the linesman when the ball is played.The linesman has only to concentrate on the line....could work I suppose.

as posted on our forum

Possibly... didn't they use some sort of vibrator system at the recent womens world cup??

• Admin

As the 4th official would only be concentrating on the guy in possession and not any other players possible offside decisions, this remote would have to be pressed every time a pass is made. The linesman's arm would be numb after a while and unable to feel anymore vibrations.

Just get the goalkeeper to stand a yard behind his line and then everyone would be offside if there was only one defender?

:innocent06:

That would be a booking for leaving the field of play without the refs permission.

I don't mind using technology where it helps make better decisions as long as it doesn't interfere with the flow of the game. Maybe a sensor inside the ball could be used to determine when it's kicked instead of relying on a fourth official who might not have a good view.

The frustrating thing about offsides for me now is this policy of not flagging until the the player who was offside moves for the ball and becomes active. It's confusing and the new guidance to allow inactive players to not be given offside just makes a mockery of the whole concept to me.

The intent behind it as I understand it is to make for more attacking play. I think instead of the current confusing stance the FA should have stuck with the idea they mooted a few seasons back where a player wouldn't be given offside unless there was daylight between him and the last defender. That would have given more advantage to the attackers, including the benefit of the doubt with any decisions, without the confusion we see currently or debate over what exactly active and inactive are ie blocking the keeper's view.

Guest Tafkar
Just get the goalkeeper to stand a yard behind his line and then everyone would be offside if there was only one defender?

:innocent06:

Roy Carroll tried that one, and look what happened to Pedro Mendes - could work!

Archived