IGNORED

Midfield Targets

Bristol Boy

Luton midfielder David Bell is being watched by Portsmouth and West Brom - the Hatters have already turned down a £500,000 offer from QPR. (Sun)

Worth a look as his Howard from Barnsley.

I think we were looking at Bell pre-season and I saw quite enough of Howard at Barnsley :noexpression:

This is the type of player we need if we're to cash in on our good start and they're the type of players needed to take us up a level in terms of consistency and performance.

Bristol Boy, you just go on and on about the midfield don't you!!, the problem is up front, someone with your managerial background!!, must have seen that already, you keep quoting how we havnt scored any goals yet keep blaming the men in the middle,well one of them anyway!, if you listen to Gj he said we had 3 to 4 chances on Tuesday night and didnt convert one of them, you cant tell me that your pleased with how the front 2 have been playing, if LT hadnt cost 1m he would have been left out weeks ago.

GJ, wont change the centre midfield, but as i have already said, noble will play on saturday, behind the front 2 of LT andDB, IMHO i think that is a system that will bring out the best in the players that are struggling,LJ and LT, the C Mid will have someone to pass to DN and will get it back and have more shooting chances, i really hope that we get this system right soon, but in Jan i think we will be looking for another forward.

Not getting at you, just like you stating my honest oppinion.

Guest Eddie_Mulcahy
Bristol Boy, you just go on and on about the midfield don't you!!, the problem is up front, someone with your managerial background!!, must have seen that already, you keep quoting how we havnt scored any goals yet keep blaming the men in the middle,well one of them anyway!, if you listen to Gj he said we had 3 to 4 chances on Tuesday night and didnt convert one of them, you cant tell me that your pleased with how the front 2 have been playing, if LT hadnt cost 1m he would have been left out weeks ago.

GJ, wont change the centre midfield, but as i have already said, noble will play on saturday, behind the front 2 of LT andDB, IMHO i think that is a system that will bring out the best in the players that are struggling,LJ and LT, the C Mid will have someone to pass to DN and will get it back and have more shooting chances, i really hope that we get this system right soon, but in Jan i think we will be looking for another forward.

Not getting at you, just like you stating my honest oppinion.

So you reckon its up to the strikers to score. Trundle is a great player so its definately not his fault.

So you reckon its up to the strikers to score. Trundle is a great player so its definately not his fault.

Not just the strikers, but we have to take our chances and most of them fall to the 2 up front, i agree Trundle is a great player, and i don't think we are very far off being a very good side in this league, but we have to convert these draws into wins, and just one or two changes could make all the difference and the team just click into gear.

Its not as simple as that. If strikers are to score regularly they need the support of the rest of the team.Who do think wins the ball and gets it into the danger area's?

Thats part of my point about Trundle. He isn't even getting chances - now you could say thats down his poor form and lack of mobility but its also about his team mates not getting the ball into the right area's.

Imo and in the opinion of many other City fans Noble instead of Lee Johnson might just make the difference.Noble has that little more about him and I like BB's suggestion on another thread of a 3-5-2 formation to accomodate him.

I think we should look to utilise the loan market ASAP, maybe try again to bring in Frazier Campbell from Man U, I know GJ inquired before but wasn't possible as they had injuries to Saha and Rooney, plus do whatever it takes to bring in Graham Kavanagh after his loan finishes at Shef Wed, goals, creativity and a season pro in the Championship, just the type of player we need this season.

Its not as simple as that. If strikers are to score regularly they need the support of the rest of the team.Who do think wins the ball and gets it into the danger area's?

Thats part of my point about Trundle. He isn't even getting chances - now you could say thats down his poor form and lack of mobility but its also about his team mates not getting the ball into the right area's.

Imo and in the opinion of many other City fans Noble instead of Lee Johnson might just make the difference.Noble has that little more about him and I like BB's suggestion on another thread of a 3-5-2 formation to accomodate him.

Last season there were plenty of weeks went by when the forum screamed for Noble to replace LJ, this season its the same thing. Both have their good points, but GJ sees them every day in training and must think that LJ offers more.

When I see Robbored and BB pushing the same barrow, I take note. I have posted very little this season, but I must say this point is hugely importent to the team. Its either 3-5-2 with LJ and Noble, or Noble in and LJ out. To date, LJ has not earned selection, its strictly on promise of perhaps something might happen, nothing has. Likewise Trundle and McAllister need to either lift their game or play in a better formation and thats down to GJ. If the formation and tactics are out of whack then GJ needs to lift his game.

Before a ball was kicked this season I did forcast 15 points after our first block of 10. We have 14 from 9, so I feel that judgement is on track. I further added that the second block of 10 would be much tougher and I said at the time that 10 points would be tough from the second set of 10. I don't care for this unbeaten and draws are fine mentality. Its good press, but draws are 2 points lost. Our division is tightly packed, with little between the top and the bottom, we need a formation to give us the all round capabilities of last seasons best form and this seasons best signings.

We can improve with our best 3-5-2 formation. Fairly obvious and there for the taking, its up to GJ to take the plunge and I'me sure he has it as a major consideration, just as he did last season. Each game is different but the 3-5-2 is now a serious option.

If we play 352 tomorrow against Tonge and Quinn down the wings then expect our wingbacks (whoever they may be) to be defending for most of the game.

We would be murdered imo, an unknown formation against a very attacking side is not what the doctor ordered, this is not the time to be experimenting, if in 3 games time we haven't picked up any points then try something different, but 352 is not plan a b or c and never has been, try 451 4411 433

We don't have a squad to suit it, and if you leave our wings exposed to players like Tonge to have a run at then, expect to see a half empty Ashton gate 20 minutes before the end.

Bristol Boy, you just go on and on about the midfield don't you!!,

I don't think I've actually started a thread about it for a while so you're wrong again.

the problem is up front, someone with your managerial background!!, must have seen that already,

I've noticed that:

a:We're not performing in the final third.

b:Our front five aren't doing it, consistently enough

c:Our commitment can't be faulted, our quality & cleverness certainly can and another manager....bloke called Johnson agrees!

you keep quoting how we havnt scored any goals yet keep blaming the men in the middle,well one of them anyway!,

The odd thing is if I'm replying to a thread about Lee Johnson I may make mention of Lee Johnson.Please note this comment and others about the front five-He's one of them so don't get fixated about t.

if you listen to Gj he said we had 3 to 4 chances on Tuesday night and didnt convert one of them, you cant tell me that your pleased with how the front 2 have been playing, if LT hadnt cost 1m he would have been left out weeks ago.

If you read what I've written, you'll see the comments I've made about our forwards.I was there Tuesday,unlike you and if we had three of four chances I must have been at the wrong game and they don't appear on the highlights either, so the camera man must have missed them as well.

GJ, wont change the centre midfield,

Then I hope they improve

but as i have already said, noble will play on saturday, behind the front 2 of LT andDB,

That would be interesting and I suggested that in pre-season-The question is how you configure the rest of the midfield

IMHO i think that is a system that will bring out the best in the players that are struggling,LJ and LT, the C Mid will have someone to pass to DN and will get it back and have more shooting chances, i really hope that we get this system right soon, but in Jan i think we will be looking for another forward.

Given our injuries to ES & SB and the loan of KB & JMW, I hope we're looking for one now.

Not getting at you,

Of course not :whistle2:

just like you stating my honest oppinion.

Just not as well :innocent06:

I think we should look to utilise the loan market ASAP, maybe try again to bring in Frazier Campbell from Man U, I know GJ inquired before but wasn't possible as they had injuries to Saha and Rooney, plus do whatever it takes to bring in Graham Kavanagh after his loan finishes at Shef Wed, goals, creativity and a season pro in the Championship, just the type of player we need this season.

Correct on both counts and if Howard had been on our side last Tuesday, we'd have won.

Last season there were plenty of weeks went by when the forum screamed for Noble to replace LJ, this season its the same thing. Both have their good points, but GJ sees them every day in training and must think that LJ offers more.

Clearly, however, the evidence on the pitch would appear to contradict that

When I see Robbored and BB pushing the same barrow, I take note. I have posted very little this season, but I must say this point is hugely importent to the team. Its either 3-5-2 with LJ and Noble, or Noble in and LJ out. To date, LJ has not earned selection, its strictly on promise of perhaps something might happen, nothing has. Likewise Trundle and McAllister need to either lift their game or play in a better formation and thats down to GJ. If the formation and tactics are out of whack then GJ needs to lift his game.

Correct

Before a ball was kicked this season I did forcast 15 points after our first block of 10. We have 14 from 9, so I feel that judgement is on track. I further added that the second block of 10 would be much tougher and I said at the time that 10 points would be tough from the second set of 10. I don't care for this unbeaten and draws are fine mentality. Its good press, but draws are 2 points lost. Our division is tightly packed, with little between the top and the bottom, we need a formation to give us the all round capabilities of last seasons best form and this seasons best signings.

I'm the first to say that whatever the formation, players have to perform-we have to many that aren't.

We can improve with our best 3-5-2 formation. Fairly obvious and there for the taking, its up to GJ to take the plunge and I'me sure he has it as a major consideration, just as he did last season. Each game is different but the 3-5-2 is now a serious option.

GJ needs to demonstrate the same bravery he showed when he dropped Vasko so soon.We need our best players on the field almost.....almost, irrespective of formation.Noble & McCombe are in that XI, so, I hope is Brooker and fitness is obviously an issue that overrides that in Brookers case at present.

If we play 352 tomorrow against Tonge and Quinn down the wings then expect our wingbacks (whoever they may be) to be defending for most of the game.

Some not most and that's why I suggested Orr & McAllister as opposed to Wilson & McIndoe.

We would be murdered imo, an unknown formation against a very attacking side is not what the doctor ordered, this is not the time to be experimenting, if in 3 games time we haven't picked up any points then try something different, but 352 is not plan a b or c and never has been, try 451 4411 433.

We played 3-5-2 at Blackpool last season and it worked well.Kevin Betsy started at LWB and the players didn't kno they were playing that system until 1.30pm that day.

We don't have a squad to suit it, and if you leave our wings exposed to players like Tonge to have a run at then, expect to see a half empty Ashton gate 20 minutes before the end.

We do and I don't like your idea of seeing how it goes, possibly losing another 3/4 then trying it when confidence is low.

Really? Did we try and get Frazier Campbell from Manchester United, because that would be a great loan signing IMO.

We certainly did, As DynamiteRed says the loan move was scuppered at the last minute when United had a spate of injuries to front players.

They're mostly available again now, apart from Solskjaer of course, so you never know.

Not sure the manager has any thoughts of bringing anyone in though, but he has sent out players who I think will be gone in jan (bar JMW)

If GJ's really thinking of shedding all our loaned out players bar JMW ( and I'm sure Artus as well), there must be several on the way or City will have about the smallest squad in the Championship.

Agree about the quality of your choices, but zero chance. Neil Danns was available for loan, good attacking player, although I admit I have only seen him live once. Kavannah, even in his later years is till a quality player. Not sure the manager has any thoughts of bringing anyone in though, but he has sent out players who I think will be gone in jan (bar JMW)

If GJ's really thinking of shedding all our loaned out players bar JMW ( and I'm sure Artus as well), there must be several on the way or City will have about the smallest squad in the Championship.

GJ clearing the decks for a major loan or two?

Archived