IGNORED

Danny Wilson

Guest qprjack

Guest Rikku

Personally, I don't want him out before the end of the season - it'd be too disruptive and I can't see how we would gain anything from giving him the boot any earlier. However, if we don't achieve promotion this year then I think he should go because he's had almost four years and the kind of players and resources that other second division clubs can only dream about to achieve this goal plus he's spent way more cash than others that have managed to get out of this div. We did well last year and we needed to build on last season's achievements to ensure promotion this year. I don't think that's what has happened. Rather than improving our form from last season, we have changed our style of play, bought players that just sit on the bench and have far from ensured division one status next year. He seems like a decent bloke, but if we don't go up then I think it's time to give someone else a go. :laugh:

Why do you want him out.  He got you to the playoffs last year, and you are in a good position this year.  Why is everyone against him?
He's had:

-4 seasons

-FAR FAR more (£1,500,000+) money to spend than any other Division 2 club

-Probably the strongest squad (possibly apart from QPR) in division 2 with at least 1, usually 2 decent players for every position (possibly except the right wing till Murray returned)

-11,000+ fans attending week in week out

Also don't forget division 2 is pathetically weak this season

Need I go on? :laugh:

Guest Bristol_Babe
Why do you want him out.  He got you to the playoffs last year, and you are in a good position this year.  Why is everyone against him?

I must be the only City fan on here who doesn't want him out. I'm quite happy with what he has done... Maybe a few results haven't gone our way and we've had some awful luck... But nothing major...

Great, I'm going to get slated now... :@ *laughs out loud*

I don't want him out YET. I maintained even during the long run, that if we didn't go up this year he should go. I know there's such a thin line between success and failure, but its not as if he's not got us up on purpose, he tries his hardest, but if we're still in 2nd div next year his hardest isnt good enough.

Sacking him now would silly and give us almost no chance of promotion, but our posistion in May should decide his future in my opinion.

Idon,t think that getting rid of DW befre the end of the season will make mutch difference.

We need to see what happens!!!!!!!!!

If DW gets us promoted by whatever means ,he will be the dogs b####,if not, he probably will resign anyway.

we,ve got 7 more games to support DW & the team ,starting with QUEER PARK.

lets get behind them all the way to PROMOTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

COME ON YOU REDSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

:Wave: :Wave: :Wave: :Wave: :Wave:

Up to the start of this season I've been a staunch supporter of Danny but this season I've become increasingly baffled and fed up with his performance. Constant silly substitutions and tactical gaffes, putting players in out of position places, his after match cow manure comments and avoiding an honest assessment, negative formations, stubborn refusal to change a bad thing when its obvious everyone else can see it's wrong; I could go on but my fingers are aching.

This season he's demonstrated he's a complete clot. Shame really, I thought he was on a good thing too.

I must be the only City fan on here who doesn't want him out. I'm quite happy with what he has done... Maybe a few results haven't gone our way and we've had some awful luck... But nothing major...

Great, I'm going to get slated now... :@ *laughs out loud*

nah not the only one, happy for him to stay, think he is a good quality manager and our best option at the moment. So Bristol_Babe there are a few of us :laugh:

Up to the start of this season I've been a staunch supporter of Danny
Me too, and I'll stay fully behind the manager and the players as long as we're up there with a chance of promotion.

If the unthinkable happens and we don't go up, then it's time for a reassessment.

And here's another question for those who have already given up on Danny Wilson and think he should go now. If he's still here next season, then that probably means we'll be in Division 1. If he's gone, then that probably means we'll still be in division 2. Which would you rather have?

And here's another question for those who have already given up on Danny Wilson and think he should go now. If he's still here next season, then that probably means we'll be in Division 1. If he's gone, then that probably means we'll still be in division 2. Which would you rather have?
Nice one Dave.

Promotion this season is the natural step forward - far better for it to be achieved as part of a continuous progress than to have to stop, take stock and effectively start all over again under someone else.

I think I 've made it clear in the past that I'm happy for DW to be at the helm for this season.

All the personal abuse he's been receiving on this forum is scandalous. By all means disagree with his team selection and query his tactics, but to question his intelligence, integrity, personal life and to resort to name-calling is pathetic and juvenile.

I think he is fully aware that nothing but promotion will satisfy the board this season. If we fail, his position must be up for re-assessment during the summer.

In the meantime, we're 3rd and still in with a shout for auto-promotion, let's stop the bickering, get behind the club for the run-in and try to help them get out of this division.

Why do so many of us want him out???

Well that is easy!! He is just not a very good manager, simple fact. If anyone actually looks at what he has achieved at all his clubs in the number of years he has been a manager then it would actually be quite alarming to the majority of city fans. I can not comprehend why so many are blinkered towards him, especially as he comes across as such a stubborn and arrogant man with his constant digs aimed at the fans which are intended to cover his own failings and shortcomings. In terms of tangible success he has had one promotion year and one LDV tropy in his 10 odd years odd as a manager, hardly setting the world alight. Now look at the state of two of his past two clubs now, I am not saying all down to him but makes you wonder!!!

As for us, well I can not remember a manager being given so much time at Ashton Gate to achive so little. Has to be the biggest under achieving manager in the lower 3 divisions, this is is backed up by the facilities/resources/transfer funds/support/time available to him compared to other managers at this level.

I have never resorted to name calling and personal digs at the man but IMHO he should not be manager of our club as he has shown in the 4 years that he has been here that he has not got the ability to take us forward and out of this division. It has been said before that if we do the unthinkable and win 6/7 of our remaining games and go up it will be in spite of Wilson and definately not because of him!

It's not a very hard question is it? I'm a staunch anti-DW person. But I'd far rather we were in Div 1 with DW than Div 2 without. Unfortunately, this would put us in a bad position as the better players and managers in Div 1 will soon exploit DW's tactical ineptitude. Whether we like it or not, a season at the top of Div 2 is better than a season scrabbling around the basement of Div 1, nervously looking over our shoulders.

The best result is a promotion this season (maybe DW will shut up long enough for us to achieve this), and then this Aprilovich fellow snatches Wilson from us for the Gas.

Guest LeicesterRed
I must be the only City fan on here who doesn't want him out. I'm quite happy with what he has done... Maybe a few results haven't gone our way and we've had some awful luck..

You`re not the only City fan behind Danny. I certainly am.

He`s solid, and although not in the top flight of managers, he ain`t far off.

i`ve rated DW for many years and still do.

I love the Tinnion for manager mob. A good player doesn`t automatically make a great manager. You only have to look at Bryan Robson and Hoddle to realise that.

Good managers are few and far between in the lower Divs, the good ones get snapped up, as is the case with Sturrock.

Having said that, if Gordon Strachan were to be offered the City post i`d be more than happy, but `til then , i`m behind Danny.

Two consecutive seasons of topping the league only to fail with the winning line in sight has been painful and there's real fear that we might make it a third. Those who are against him are frustrated soles who believe that revolution rather than evolution is the answer.

In the heat of frustration its often easy to ignore the alternate view:

- that Danny's 4 year tenure has mostly been on a shoestring,

- that at the start of last season the strength in depth of the squad was such that none of us gave us of any hope of success (but Danny delivered 3rd place - ahead of millionnaires Cardiff and your goodselves - and a cup)

- that other than Peacock at the start of his reign, his two major signings (Wilkshire and Miller) were funded by the sale of our top player

- that Danny has been in charge of a team that he has developed from the acedemy,

- that he was the manager responsible for motivating a team to scoring 106 goals in a season

- that when other managers played Murray as a striker (at Aston Villa) or a full back he was responsible for playing him "out of position" as a winger who netted 27 goals in a season

I think he should stay and so do many others. Should we mess up this season (and I don't think we will), I'd still want him to stay. I've seen enough evidence of progress under him to suggest that he's the best man for the job. Man U gave Ferguson a long time too.

A good player doesn`t automatically make a great manager. You only have to look at Bryan Robson and Hoddle to realise that.
I know the guy is a sandwich short of a picnic, with his freak sidekick Eileen but I would be amazed if Hoddle could not have delivered promotion within 4 years.

If you are comparing spending with Chelsea, yes

but for this division he has had more than enough money made available to be more than purely treading water. So no, utter garb

Wilson spent £600K on Peacock when he arrived and due to payroll problems was not allowed to buy again. That £600k is in old money (same as era as Tony Thorpe worth £1m) and there was insufficient strength in the squad for that one signing to be good enough.

We raised £650K for Murray which was re-invested in Miller and Wilkshire but in spending terms they cancel each other out.

The remaining signings of Matthews, Butler, Roberts and very recently Goodfellow have been paid for in shrapnel.

In terms of net spending over the past three seasons, I'd be surprised if our net outflows were greater than QPR or Sheff Weds and we've certainly been nowhere near the likes of Wigan or Cardiff.

And third place is hardly 'treading water'.

Wilson spent £600K on Peacock when he arrived and due to payroll problems was not allowed to buy again. That £600k is in old money (same as era as Tony Thorpe worth £1m) and there was insufficient strength in the squad for that one signing to be good enough.

We raised £650K for Murray which was re-invested in Miller and Wilkshire but in spending terms they cancel each other out.

The remaining signings of Matthews, Butler, Roberts and very recently Goodfellow have been paid for in shrapnel.

In terms of net spending over the past three seasons, I'd be surprised if our net outflows were greater than QPR or Sheff Weds and we've certainly been nowhere near the likes of Wigan or Cardiff.

And third place is hardly 'treading water'.

he has spent over 1.5 million quid in the last 4 years, there are few if any second division clubs without a hammam that have spent that. Hell QPR were in division 1 three years ago and i doubt that they have spent that much.

He has had money and spent it on the whole poorly, his 1 good buy has been Butler. Miller and Wilks are good players, and will be very good players, but they were not what we needed, we had fallen for 2 seasons mostly because of lack of expirence, when it really matteres, we needed expirenced heads to act as such, we only have Tinnion who does this. Butler barates coles for his mistakes, and bell blames anyone bar himself for his woeful defending at times, had he botheres to move his fat arse in the game against Cardiff at NP then mabye we would not be here now.

He plays players continually despite form or obvious tiredness, he played Clisty for god knows how long when he was obviously knackered and performing badly, and destroyed his confidence completely and we never saw the same player again really, and even when he did play and did well, we knew just as he knew he would be straight out of the side again. He will destroy robbo, who is a player with real potential, score goals and make them as well apparently he doesn't have a footballing brain, but any player who can set up as many as he did last season can't not have a football brain.

Willsons tactics are woeful, e.g plays tinman on the left against Oldham, it fails and afer half an hour he pulls off our best player at the time Wilks, and stick on a bloody left back at left wing. Fair enough you may try it once because you might think for some odd reason bell is going to offer more than the vastly quicker Goodfellow. But then to do almost EXACTLY the same the next week, put tins on the left, oddly enough it doesn't work, so you take off Wilks again and stick another LEFT BACK on the wing while goodfellow is on the bench and Rougier is naturally gravitating to the left and getting joy there. It strikes me as if Willson has the same mentality as the generals in the somme, just one more try lads. it didn't work last time but it will this time. his tactics and substitutions are woeful.

I had a lot of patients with Willson, i could for a long time see what he was trying to do, when he took over he played the 3-5-2, but it was obvious he wanted a side that could play 4-4-2, and he did it, he got us far better at the back over time, and when he implemented the 4-4-2 properly last season it worked and i thought here we go. When we didn't go up i though he would build on it and push us further forward, the loss of Murray shouldn't have mattered, but because he is in his own mind infallable, he played what 17 games with a side that just wasn't working.

We all noticed it wasn't working after 4 games really, Burnell and Doc were not going to be attackng enough for us without Murray, and Wilks was obviously not a right winger, but he took a further 13 GAMES and god knows how many points his stubbornnes cost us, when a less egotistical manager would have realised his mistakes and done womething about it, but Willson didn't, Until much later.

Then something clicked, we started getting results although performances only improved a tiny bit, we embarked on a great run, now it was obvious that something was going to go wrong the last minuite goals were going to stop and we were going to loose at some point, 1 signing mabye even a loan to stop the complacency that eventually creeped in happening. but Willson does nothing, we loose. if we had been playing very well, then it probably would have been ok as we would have bounced right back, but the fact is we were not, the players knew that and the confidence went through the floor.

So what does danny do to rectify this, he begins making the same rediculous mistakes that he was at thestart of the season, we knew Wilks wasn't a right winger after 4 games at most, but willson sticks him there anyway.

Peacock is playing some of the worst football i have seen him play, it's just not happening for him, but willson perseveers despite having options, playing Peacock every game with different partners and never accepting that peacock is not a target man, and can't play with robbo or lita, but he does it anyway, when a Miller robbo partnership that worked so well against Brighton was staring him in the face, yet he would still not drop peacock.

If we do go up willson has to imporve if we are to survive as the players we have are mostly capable division 1 players, but can't afford to have a manager pissarsing about like Willson is now.

Although i have doubts over Danny, i still have a sneaking suspicion that when we get into division 1 Willson will be a completely different manager. He knows that division like the back of his hand, much like ward did with division 2, stick ward in the lower leagues and he is great, stick him in division 1 and he's lost as we know. Mabye Willson just can't get this division, and as soon as we are up in his territory he could well be the man to stabalise us in division 1 and mabye even beyond.

Willsons tactics are woeful, e.g plays tinman on the left against Oldham, it fails and afer half an hour he pulls off our best player at the time Wilks, and stick on a bloody left back at left wing. Fair enough you may try it once because you might think for some odd reason bell is going to offer more than the vastly quicker Goodfellow.

On purchasing Goodfellow, Wilson was the first to point out his limitations defensively. At Stoke, he was played as a forward or attacking midfielder. When Goodfellow is playing, it's effectively like having a third striker and leaves the team vulnerable defensively. Wilson is trying to make the right compromise between attack and defense early in a match.

Then something clicked, we started getting results although performances only improved a tiny bit, we embarked on a great run, now it was obvious that something was going to go wrong the last minuite goals were going to stop and we were going to loose at some point, 1 signing mabye even a loan to stop the complacency that eventually creeped in happening. but Willson does nothing, we loose.

I thought he signed Goodfellow at this point, who's arrival coincided with a continuation of this run.

if we had been playing very well, then it probably would have been ok as we would have bounced right back, but the fact is we were not, the players knew that and the confidence went through the floor.

Lots of things can knock players' confidence, including postings on this forum.

At the risk of intervening in a debate between Spud and Milo!

Just thought I'd add my thoughts on a couple of points not yet answered (Milo sorry if you were getting round to responding on these)

He has had money and spent it on the whole poorly, his 1 good buy has been Butler. Miller and Wilks are good players, and will be very good players, but they were not what we needed

Not sure how you can argue that, both Miller and Wilks have added quality to the side and scored and created goals....... I'd prefer we brought in good young players who can be part of the development of the team and who will be with us for some time. The beginning of the season was the right time to do just that and both have played well for us so far and will get better.

Willsons tactics are woeful

Well ok, some curious decisions, but we are not prviy to everything that goes on at training and I'd dispute that either Tinnion or Wilks were asked to play on the wing, left or right midfield maybe, but not as wingers!

Subsitutions woeful

Maybe sometimes we fail to understand them but that doesn't make them woeful. Equally what about the ones that have worked, when players brought on have scored or contributed to creating chances.. Roberts, Lita, Goodfellow, Miller etc.

Peacock is playing some of the worst football i have seen him play, it's just not happening for him, but willson perseveers despite having options, playing Peacock every game with different partners and never accepting that peacock is not a target man, and can't play with robbo or lita, but he does it anyway, when a Miller robbo partnership that worked so well against Brighton was staring him in the face, yet he would still not drop peacock

He is still our leading scorer and contributes more than just goals to the side. Other partnerships have been tried and delivered no better - not necessarily the strikers fault, service has been poor.

Mabye Willson just can't get this division, and as soon as we are up in his territory he could well be the man to stabalise us in division 1 and mabye even beyond.

Well for someone who doesn't get this division he seems to be doing a lot better than many other Div 2 managers????

And let's hope you are right on that last point :ph34r:

Not sure how you can argue that, both Miller and Wilks have added quality to the side and scored and created goals....... I'd prefer we brought in good young players who can be part of the development of the team and who will be with us for some time. The beginning of the season was the right time to do just that and both have played well for us so far and will get better.

I highly rate both of those players, but i just don't think they were what we needed, we needed a proven goalscorer, we got Miller, who will be a goalscorer, but he isn't yet. Mooney would have us top with our players and his finishing. We needed a proven creative midfielder and yet again we got an experimental buy, who for the first 1/3 of the seaosn got stuck out on the right wing.

He is still our leading scorer and contributes more than just goals to the side. Other partnerships have been tried and delivered no better - not necessarily the strikers fault, service has been poor.

I would agree, but he doesn't when playing badly, his runs are often aimless and do not drag the defence around like they should and do when he's on form. He doesn't make his own chances that often when not playing particulalrly well, unlike Robbo no matter how badly he is playing he can still make and take a chance all on his own.

As for other partnerships, there has been very, very few games where Peacock hasn't started, Birghton away, robbo and Miller play we stuff one of the better sides in this division, and how many times since have we seen that partnership, ummm none ? the common denominator is peacock, and our strike force as a whole has been poor all season, yet stick a target man and a pace man in from the start and we stuff brighton.

The other partnerships without peacock haven't been given a chance at all, Peacock is simply not our best striker, he's had such a run, can you honestly say if the Miller Robbo partnership had been given as much time as Peacock Miller, i highly doubt we'd have the goalscoring problem to the same extent we have now.

Archived