IGNORED

What Is Our Best Team?

cityfan

Basso

Orr Carey McCombe McCallister

Murray Elliott Mcindoe

Noble

Byfield Trundle

I would like to see us try this for a while. Noble makes a huge difference and is the most creative player we have. Elliott is solid in midfield and Noble could drop back to make the formation 4 4 2. He looked to make more of a contribution than Lee Johnson has recently and in any event I think these two can be interchangeable, therefore providing each other with rest given thtis much more physical league

With Noble playing through the forwards it offers much more link play which is undoubtedly good for Trundle. Byfield seemed to have plenty of movement, was difficult to mark and had good pace as well. With good movement from Byfield and Trundle and good footballing brains as well it should make for an intelligent and successful partnership.

Finally, I think Jevons must soon get on as a sub. To be fair, even though it's only the reserves, he has been knocking them in!

I've said previously that it's a as much about getting our best XI on the field as much as the formation and tactics and you shouldn't exclude Brooker from that if we can get him fit.

During pre-season, I suggested Noble in behind two as opposed to in behind one in our current 4-4-1-1 but any formation that does that and still utilises two wide players is effectively going to go 4-1-5 on ocassions and, whilst exciting, it's going to be a big win or a big whooping!!

Last season, our promotion was built on a foundation of a great defence or, back five as I like to call them and that's continued this season albeit with LF in for JMc.

You could play a 3-4-1-2

.....BASSO...

...........CAREY...........MCCOMBE.......FONTAINE.............

ORR..........JOHNSON....ELLIOTT............MCALLISTER..

.....NOBLE........

.............BROOKER.BYFIELD......

and then use the subs bench to change the formation to a more attacking one if needed with wingers & strikers on it plus Skuse.

Given our squad, we have an enormous range of options available and could play a flatter 4-5-1 or 3-5-2.

The key thing and I've seen nothing to change my mind is that we get Basso, McCombe, Carey, Noble, Elliott & Brooker in the starting line up as the spine of the team.

That's not to say that the other players aren't any good or will not be as valuable on any given day, it's just about the team that, on the vast majority of occassions that will bring home the bacon.

Don't disagree with any of these thoughts but wonder if Wilson might ultimately be better in place of Orr in any of these formations. Orr has been fantastic this season and "plays for the shirt week in week out" but Wilson is a better passer of the ball and better coming forward while still being solid in defence.

Whilst i agree with the sentiment being spoken during this thread, i think there are some wildly optimistic formations being branded about.

Lets face it, we can't accomodate Sproule, McIndoe, Noble, Byfield and Trundle in the same line up without leaving ourselves open and vunerable. I know the likes of Elliott, Carey and Basso have been magnificent so far, however we can't solely rely on MOM performances from those 3 as we just attack! Balance is the key to any side, so i would go for this line up.

Basso

Orr...Carey...McCombe...McAllister

.......Elliott..........Johnson.......

Sproule......Noble.......McIndoe

One from...Trundle/Byfield/Brooker/Showumni (depending on fitness and form, the liquidity we have here should be excellent.)

Idealistic, and will rarely happen i know!

Don't disagree with any of these thoughts but wonder if Wilson might ultimately be better in place of Orr in any of these formations. Orr has been fantastic this season and "plays for the shirt week in week out" but Wilson is a better passer of the ball and better coming forward while still being solid in defence.

I think it'a classic situation of one job, two players.Orr, for my money is the better, braver defender....and gets more goals! Whilst Wilson is the more versatile wide player and a better passer and crosser of the ball.If it was wing backs, I'd probably pick Wilson, right full back, Orr, but it's a close call.

Basso

Orr...Carey...McCombe...McAllister

.......Elliott..........Johnson.......

Sproule......Noble.......McIndoe

One from...Trundle/Byfield/Brooker/Showumni (depending on fitness and form, the liquidity we have here should be excellent.)

Idealistic, and will rarely happen i know!

Not idealistic and that's the formation we used in attack when we played Sheff Utd.When we defend, it becomes flatter with the same personnel

Orr....Carey....McCombe............McAllister..

Sproule..........Johnson.Elliott......McIndoe

.......Noble.

......Byfield...

Byfield tracks back and pressurises defenders in possesion and Noble fills in where required and is available to latch onto our clearances and passes from defence to launch counter attacks.

The key thing for me is that we train somone else to play there when Noble's out as otherwise we have to change formation.

basso
orr carey mcombe mccalister

sproule elliot mcindoe

noble

trundle
byfield

bench:
vasko
jevons
skuse
fontain
weale

vasko to put on at the end to get up for corners towards the end
jevons for a bit extra up front

or fontain vasko and skuse on to defend a lead

if we need to attack stick vasko up mcombe up trundle byfield and jevons ,nobe on the edge of the box

how can you stop that scoring??

I think we HAVE to have 2 up front whether Noble sits in behind or not. 1 up front means the front man working alone, only 1 potent striker and the ball coming back too often, ultimately putting us under too much pressure. Forwards need to play off each other and create great partnerships and this in turn returns the best opportunity of goals

one way of bringing McCombe back in the team without dropping fontaine is:

.......Basso.............

Carey..McCombe..Fontaine..McCallister

Sproule...Johnson...Elliot...McIndoe

.....Noble...

......Byfield............

Would add extra defence at rightback and also he likes getting forward.

I know we lose him from the centre but could be worth a shout if Orr is ruled out on sat?!

I think we HAVE to have 2 up front whether Noble sits in behind or not. 1 up front means the front man working alone, only 1 potent striker and the ball coming back too often, ultimately putting us under too much pressure. Forwards need to play off each other and create great partnerships and this in turn returns the best opportunity of goals

Sheff Utd, our best performance of the season was a direct contradiction of that.

We kept the ball better than in any other game because the man in possession had options all around him.Noble's movement was a prime factor in that.

Sheff Utd, our best performance of the season was a direct contradiction of that.

We kept the ball better than in any other game because the man in possession had options all around him.Noble's movement was a prime factor in that.

however......they were also without doubt the possibly the worst team we have played this season so far.

I'm almost 100% confident every week that the best team is the one picked to play by Gary Johnson.

As he says himself:

Only my teams ever get tested. Everyone else can pick their teams, play the Championship Manager games and all that, getting to the top of the Premiership within ten minutes.

however......they were also without doubt the possibly the worst team we have played this season so far.

I think they had the worst manager.Get a decent bloke in and they'll still be in the shake up.

On the night, we were good, that was the biggest difference.

Do you think PNE or Scunny were better than them?

Without doubt...possibly the worst team??? A contridiction is terms surely.

We were very good that night and deserved the win.

Also, i think QPR, Burnley Preston and Coventry were all worse than Sheff Utd, it's a game of opinions i suppose... :innocent06:

Archived