IGNORED

Which Player Did We Make The Biggest Mistake Of Letting Go?

helenlovescity78

I think there are more examples of players making the mistake of leaving us and are now playing at a lower level, off the top of my head I can think of

Ph*illips and Coles - Rovers

Brown and Brown - Gilligham and Salisbruy (?)

Anyinsah - was on loan at Bury from Preston last I heard, that was a while ago...

Golbourne - was on loan at Wycombe?

Coterill - Not getting a look in at Wigan, nor in the Wales side

Although how many of them dyou think would get in our side now?

I think Anyinsah is at Carlisle now? maybe on loan, not to sure. Cotterill is the only one on the list that might be anywhere near our first team but i personally don't think we'd need him!

Here's one for the teenagers; Alan Skirton.

Rejected by City as a teenage amateur, the flying winger enjoyed seven seasons at Arsenal, from 1960/61, to 1966/67, scoring 53 goals in 144 appearances.

However, there was a happy reunion when Alan signed for City, from Blackpool, in November 1968, just 2 months short of his 30th birthday. He went on to score 18 goals in 90 City starts before leaving for Torquay in 1971.

Looking at the above suggestions, seems in general we've been pretty astute with selling/releasing players.

I think I remember reading that Spurs once turned down a young Bordeaux player who was willing to join them...called Zinedine Zidane. Sheffield Utd also could've signed Maradona in about 1978, but the deal fell through.

Although I understand the affection Heffernone is held in at this club (nice guy) but 27 appearances 5 goals is hardly a goal return that was missed, Perhaps another myth like the Jacki myth.

Biggest recent mistake Bob Taylor without doubt, We should have built a quality team around this natural goal scorer.

Although I understand the affection Heffernone is held in at this club (nice guy) but 27 appearances 5 goals is hardly a goal return that was missed, Perhaps another myth like the Jacki myth.

Biggest recent mistake Bob Taylor without doubt, We should have built a quality team around this natural goal scorer.

Heff's got no affection in my heart he wasn't here long enough for me to care either way. He was on the bench basically the entire season Lita was here after he'd scored 20 goals in a relegated side the year before thanks to Lita's form.

34 starts 9 sub apps 21 goals the year before, 11 starts 18 subs, 6 goals for us. which is still rather good IMO

Had he not been sold, he would've been on for 15-20 again (he went on to hit one in two the next season) and that goal return might have kept Tinnion's job. The loss was felt because we sold Lita too. Teams tend to struggle after selling two 20 goal if not more a season strikers.

Bob Taylor was the player we should never have let go. £300k for a player who went on to play at a level above us for most of the next decade was completely crap, Lumsden was a total clown.

If we'd held onto God for another year or two and played him next to Andy Cole for a season we might just have reached the top flight.

Instead the following year we paid out the same money for Ian... ######... Baird.

Agreed bad move selling Taylor but a bit harsh calling Lumsden a clown. Thought he bought in the likes of Welch and Scott.

Wasn't Lumsden who bought in Baird, think it was Osman, agreed though a shocking buy.

What about the ones the Gas let go for nothing?

Zamora

Hayles

Cureton

Ellington

Stewart

Martyn....

Talk about bad transfer dealing - we have nothing on them.

In fairness to them, whilst Zamora and Cureton both went cheap, Rovers made a lot of money from Martyn, stewart, Ellington and Hayles, and Gareth Taylor. I think Cureton was obliged to leave following alleged concerns about his private life, so they had to take any bid to get him off the books! They also lost Scott Sinclair to chelsea for nothing when he was 15, which is quite funny!

for us, Ago leaving on a free was bad news.

Si

Archived