IGNORED

Is There Such A Thing As A "johnson Player"?

Big Red Rich

Whenever I look at a potential signing I always ask myself "Is this player a Johnson Player"? Johnson seems to get the best of our players that nobody else can? Johnson seems to like the 'once had potential' player and try to get that potential out of him. This was a little blown apart by the Trundle signing but every rule has an exception. And what players in years gone by would have been a supposed Johnson Player do you think? Would the likes of Danny Coles, Aaron Brown, Tommy Doherty, Robin Hulbert, Joe Burnell, Simon Clist etc fitted in with Johnson's criteria that his players must have?

Whenever I look at a potential signing I always ask myself "Is this player a Johnson Player"? Johnson seems to get the best of our players that nobody else can? Johnson seems to like the 'once had potential' player and try to get that potential out of him. This was a little blown apart by the Trundle signing but every rule has an exception. And what players in years gone by would have been a supposed Johnson Player do you think? Would the likes of Danny Coles, Aaron Brown, Tommy Doherty, Robin Hulbert, Joe Burnell, Simon Clist etc fitted in with Johnson's criteria that his players must have?

Danny Coles - would have lasted five minutes.

Aaron Brown - Johnson may possibly have done a number on him.

Tommy Doherty - Would have been given a chance but I'm not sure he would have had enough "upstairs" to take it? Where is he now by the way?

Robin Hulbert - May have done alright under Johnson.

Joe Burnell - not good enough for Johnson in my opinion.

Simon Clist - may have benefitted under Johnson in a similar manner to David Noble.

Danny Coles - would have lasted five minutes.

Aaron Brown - Johnson may possibly have done a number on him.

Tommy Doherty - Would have been given a chance but I'm not sure he would have had enough "upstairs" to take it? Where is he now by the way?

Robin Hulbert - May have done alright under Johnson.

Joe Burnell - not good enough for Johnson in my opinion.

Simon Clist - may have benefitted under Johnson in a similar manner to David Noble.

I always take "Johnson player" to mean attitude more than anything. That means willingness to put in 100% all the time, to be part of the team mentality he's created and be fully professional.

With that in mind, I think Burnell and Clist would have been Johnson players because they'd have given 100% at all times.

Coles, Brown and Doherty would have been out of Ashton Gate faster than a Dolman Early Leaver. He might have regretted letting Doherty go but despite being willing to give 100% on the pitch he wasn't willing to be a fully committed professional off it to make that 100% last longer than 60 minutes.

Hulbert I don't remember enough about but with his terrible injury record I don't think he would have had anything other than a p45 waiting for him from any manager.

I don't really think Trundle breaks the profile. His age was unusual for a typical GJ signing but although I disagreed with signing him on value for money at the time I can still see why GJ did - very few players give you that sort of flair. Trundle's fee was also high but that's probably the first time GJ has had the opportunity to pay out that much.

GJ player: Hard working player with some ability who "affects" the game. His career has to be on the up. I actually think Trundle fits all that.^

Doherty - Attitude, gone.

Coles - Attitude, gone.

Clist = Lee Johnson. He'd have definitely got a chance until Gary brought his son in to replace him :P

Burnell - Had the work rate but i think GJ wants more from his central midfielders. Joe didn't possess great ability and frankly i didn't think he was that great defensively either.

Hulbert looked great every time he played... If he'd stayed fit he'd have been fine under GJ or Wilson or anyone! He didn't though.

Brown - "Doesn't affect the game enough" Bench written all over him.

I always take "Johnson player" to mean attitude more than anything. That means willingness to put in 100% all the time, to be part of the team mentality he's created and be fully professional.

With that in mind, I think Burnell and Clist would have been Johnson players because they'd have given 100% at all times.

Coles, Brown and Doherty would have been out of Ashton Gate faster than a Dolman Early Leaver. He might have regretted letting Doherty go but despite being willing to give 100% on the pitch he wasn't willing to be a fully committed professional off it to make that 100% last longer than 60 minutes.

Thats how I see a Johnson player as well - attitude has to be right.

totally agree with that, it's what any decent manager wants from his players, unfortunately we have had some managers in recent years who care more about players ability and don't do the research their players personality's prior to signing them. Wilson especially.

Archived