IGNORED

A Bit Of Fun..

redsontour

Ok, now that that England failed to get to grips with Oldhams cast off pitch I offer you a (potential) moral dilemma..

You get to choose just one of the following..in the next few months you can have..

6 wins on the bounce for city

Israel to beat Russia

To me there is no choice really, 6 on the bounce for City every time. I hardly ever enjoy watching England get done in a a quarter final by a group of players that probably include next years UK plumbers, whereas getting City in a strong league position would really float my red boat!

Over to you..

Ok, now that that England failed to get to grips with Oldhams cast off pitch I offer you a (potential) moral dilemma..

You get to choose just one of the following..in the next few months you can have..

6 wins on the bounce for city

Israel to beat Russia

To me there is no choice really, 6 on the bounce for City every time. I hardly ever enjoy watching England get done in a a quarter final by a group of players that probably include next years UK plumbers, whereas getting City in a strong league position would really float my red boat!

Over to you..

6 Wins easily.

For some reason, I've lost the buzz of supporting England. After 96 & the WC in 98.. it's just not the same feeling anymore.

City to win 6. Mclaren gets fired whilst Mourinho is out of work. Win-win.

I'd absolutely love him as England boss, never mind the football just watch the press conferences. I know a lot of people don't like him, I've read his biography and he a very intelligent and driven man.

Easy choice City. England bore me at the moment.

I found I have been watching games like N. Ireland and Hungary over the past few weeks just to watch City players and they've hardly been here that long!

It must be brilliant if you see one of your players playing for your country though.

City, to win 6 please

I hope we don't get to Austria/Switzerland, to prove the press wrong about Sven and to give the overpaid prima donnas the shock and shame of their lives. Although I am sure they will quickly get over it, aided by their house staff and luxury pampered lifestyles which continue unabated win or lose for england.

Plus during the major footy tournaments which include England I may as well close my business as it all goes so quiet!

With the exception of the 4;1 against holland in Euro 96, I have not enjoyed watching england going back to the the dreary days of Ron Greenwood and failure to qualify for Argentina 78 and realising even back then that when the pressure is really on, we can be relied on to buckle. Nothing has changed.

Even the 1;5 germany result was good but wasnt a pressure/must win game and like yesterday was early evening if I remember so couldnt even really watch it down the pub?

I don't enjoy watching england one bit, they don't intrest me, they don't have anything in connection with me.

If someone said, England Euro Cup Final or City Promotion Game, i would have to turn down england and go to the City Promotion game.

I blame the fa for it anyway

Limit the number of non-english players in the prem like they do in nearly every other country.

Then england players will progress better and become a better team.

Limit the number of non-english players in the prem like they do in nearly every other country.

Then england players will progress better and become a better team.

How does that work?

I fail to see how the number of foreign players can affect the quality of the home-grown players.

There would be fewer foreign players in the Premiership if English players were better but I fail to see how it can work the other way around. Arsene Wenger doesn't sign foreign players because he doesn't like English ones, it's because the foreign players are better at football.

If anything, our young players might learn a thing or two from the foreigners.

How does that work?

I think it does have an effect.

Purely because English players of the same standard are more expensive. England is one of the most expensive countries in Europe, we spend the most on football, wages are higher in general and they're higher in football, transfer fees demanded by English clubs are higher because their wage costs are higher. No different to most other industries, we're at a big disadvantage to some countries competitively because of this.

For a Premiership manager, if they can get a 22 yr old Bulgarian of the same standard as a 22yr old English kid but 1/4 the price they will go for the former. The English kid doesn't get the top flight football and doesn't progress. The Bulgarian gets better and gets a longer contract or at least goes home after 3 years with a pay packet that is worth several times in Bulgaria what it was here.

Since EU law allowed freedom to work the number of foreign players playing in the English top flight (and in our division) has increased several-fold - but has the number of English players playing abroad done the same ? No. For the same reason.

I'd be all in favour of capping the number of foreigners allowed were it legal, even to a relatively high number like 6, because it would mean more English players getting match time to improve and the foreigners they were playing against would be excellent ones like Henry and Zola rather than mediocre ones like Landzaart or Kuqi.

6 wins for the City Boys, and get McClaren his P45 while you're at it.

As my 'boro supporting mate said at the time of his appointment; why do the FA want a coach who had his own fans throwing their season tickets at him in disgust only three months before he got the job to lead England? Why? Case the FA are, and most likely always will be, a bunch of fools.

And anyone who has seen the Arsenal kids play and witnessed just how good those eligable for England in the future are wouldn't listen to that quota rubbish. Italy and France don't have quotas, and last time I looked they were the last european nations to win the World Cup. Don't think Greece do either.

As my 'boro supporting mate said at the time of his appointment; why do the FA want a coach who had his own fans throwing their season tickets at him in disgust only three months before he got the job to lead England? Why? Case the FA are, and most likely always will be, a bunch of fools.

Noone at the FA did want McClaren.

You had two factions:

David Dein's faction that wanted to appoint the best manager irrespective of nationality and cost as long as it wasn't Wenger.

Brian Barwick's faction that wanted someone cheaper than Sven, preferably English at least British irrespective of ability that kept the tabloids off their back.

Dein's lot wanted Scolari or Hiddink. Barwick leaked the Scolari offer early to force him to rule himself out by which time Hiddink was gainfully employed. Barwick's lot wanted O'Neill or Allardyce. Allardyce was known to have skeletons and O'Neill told them to sod off.

They ended up with Mr Mediocrity, a man whose achievements as a top flight manager are exactly the same as mine (that is to say none whatsoever), that neither group wanted.

The whole episode shows the three main problems with the FA:

- Overly influenced by the media

- Conflict of interests with clubs

- Piss poor leadership focusing on trivial politicking rather than football.

- Overly influenced by the media

- Conflict of interests with clubs

- Piss poor leadership focusing on trivial politicking rather than football.

As I said; bunch of fools. They might not of wanted him, but they still went ahead and gave him the job. That's a pretty foolish thing to do in my book.

As I said; bunch of fools. They might not of wanted him, but they still went ahead and gave him the job. That's a pretty foolish thing to do in my book.

Yes and no. I don't think Dein was a fool, far from it. If he had been a full time FA employee with no club loyalty he'd have been great, but he couldn't in good faith to Arsenal approach Wenger so there was a fundamental conflict of interests. He seems to know his football and be a good leader though one does wonder now what the hell he's doing with the Russian.

Barwick is a complete tool of the first order.

Yes and no. I don't think Dein was a fool, far from it. If he had been a full time FA employee with no club loyalty he'd have been great, but he couldn't in good faith to Arsenal approach Wenger so there was a fundamental conflict of interests. He seems to know his football and be a good leader though one does wonder now what the hell he's doing with the Russian.

Barwick is a complete tool of the first order.

I'd probably agree on the David Dein thing, though Wenger as a national manager doesn't work for me. Yes, he'll most likely make a top 'director of youth and national developement' or something for France when he finally (if ever) leaves the Gunners, but can't see him prospering in only having his hands on the players for a few weeks a year.

As for Brain Barwick, well, there isn't much you can say about him asides from the fact is increased involvement within the FA at the executive level has coincided with a significant lull in our national game at international level. Which makes you think maybe he should leave his nicely paid seat at the head of the table. Only thin good about him is he's not as bad as Adam Crozier was, which would have been very difficult to be honest.

6 wins for the City Boys, and get McClaren his P45 while you're at it.

And anyone who has seen the Arsenal kids play and witnessed just how good those eligable for England in the future are wouldn't listen to that quota rubbish. Italy and France don't have quotas, and last time I looked they were the last european nations to win the World Cup. Don't think Greece do either.

Bumbling Brian supports McClaren (of course he does, he had to appoint him when Big Phil dropped out, and he failed to notice that Allardyce is the best English manager around)

Surely if we had a decent FA, instead of the pallid, immoral, inefficient shower presently at Soho Square, who would stand up to the Premiership clubs and bring in a quota system, we would have those brilliant english youngsters coming through in real numbers. Then we might have a decent England team.

At the moment they are too busy shmouzing with the rich men. The Premiership people lie down for West Ham and put the boot into Sheffield United.

They don't really have the guts to change things.

Bumbling Brian supports McClaren (of course he does, he had to appoint him when Big Phil dropped out, and he failed to notice that Allardyce is the best English manager around)

Allardyce is another Graham Taylor, successful at a club outside the top few with zero experience of football outside the UK. He has too many skeletons in his closet and that is why he wasn't appointed. He was the favoured candidate by Barwick until word got out about the upcoming Panorama programme, thank christ. We'd be in far worse shape had he got the job. Of course we'd have lots of passion though so everything would be ok.

Surely if we had a decent FA, instead of the pallid, immoral, inefficient shower presently at Soho Square, who would stand up to the Premiership clubs and bring in a quota system, we would have those brilliant english youngsters coming through in real numbers. Then we might have a decent England team.

At the moment they are too busy shmouzing with the rich men. The Premiership people lie down for West Ham and put the boot into Sheffield United.

They don't really have the guts to change things.

I agree they're inefficient.

I'm glad they don't change too many things because they would **** them up.

They West Ham/Sheff Utd decision was entirely correct IMO, who says that a minor breach of a contractual rule should result in a points deduction? Sheff Utd were crap and deserved relegation, the only wrongdoing was them making such a song and dance about it and letting their fans down.

A quota system would actually be illegal so much as I'd like to you can't blame the FA for that.

Archived