westonred

http://www.citystats.org.uk/search.asp?txt...amp;selAbandon=

during the famous 1975-76 promotion season we had 9 home games

with a lower attendance than this season's average,

in fact crowds didn't start to grow until the promotion run-in

in the spring of '76

If we stay in the top 6 this season, crowds will go up,

and by the end of the season the ground won't be big enough :englandsmile4wf:

Yep but gates everywhere then were in decline and had been for twenty years.

If we stay in the top 6 this season, crowds will go up, of course but City have big games now and should be getting higher gates but all we have is around a 15-20% rise on the back of promotion, years of underachievement and a team excelling. Blackpool and Scunny gates have rise by a similar amount or more.

Leeds is not bigger than Bristol. The size of Leeds is based on a conurbation band linked with Bradford. Bear in mind that the size of Bristol is based on the City limits that are at least 1 - 3 miles inside of what most of us class as Bristol. So the realism of 500k living in Bristol to 1.8m living in greater Bristol, why shouldnt we get the crowds we are looking for.

Just to add to the point, things won't change 38.5k against Liverpool in the same season and 16k against Norwich.

not sure where your getting that info from?

the Leeds and surrounding area conurbation is around 1.5m, where as even the Bristol area including the surround areas are only around 550k, Bristol and the surrounding area, is nothing like the size of some of the area's up north,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_conur..._United_Kingdom

A fanbase is something that is developed over a long period of time, not a few months. The fact is, that Bristol City FC have underachieved for a long long time and potential fans have been alienated from watching us - Essentially we've missed a whole generation of fans, that probably would have supported the club had we remained in the old first division throughout the 80s.

The clubs people have mentioned, Southampton, Wolves, Norwichetc are clubs with bigger fanbases than us simply because their history and success has seen them develop huge fanbases...and they can rely on 20,000+ a week whereas we are now looking at 12,000+ regular supporters.

Bristol is a big city, but when youve got most of the population supporting Liverpool or Man-Yoo from their armchairs, youre going to have problems...the only thing thats going to make our crowds consistantly bigger is success...and maybe cheaper ticket prices wouldnt hurt either??

Yep but gates everywhere then were in decline and had been for twenty years.

If we stay in the top 6 this season, crowds will go up, of course but City have big games now and should be getting higher gates but all we have is around a 15-20% rise on the back of promotion, years of underachievement and a team excelling. Blackpool and Scunny gates have rise by a similar amount or more.

Can see your thinking. But if you look at the link you have posted, Huddersfield etc is quote a way from Leeds but included and also have their own team, go beyong the boundaries to our own areas eg Patchway, Yate and even Weston which comes under the Bs post code you agree what I am saying.

Can see your thinking. But if you look at the link you have posted, Huddersfield etc is quote a way from Leeds but included and also have their own team, go beyong the boundaries to our own areas eg Patchway, Yate and even Weston which comes under the Bs post code you agree what I am saying.

wrong reply again, know my facts but 10 pints deep

I'm sorry, I've no clue, what your saying or the point you are trying to make?

either way, in the Bristol and surrounding area, there is nothing like the 1.8m that your quoting? unless counting bristol as everything out as far as Newport, Cheltenham, Swindon and Exeter?

wrong reply again, know my facts but 10 pints deep

Norwich fan here, well done on your win yesterday which was thoroughly deserved. Have been reading this post with interest and just thought I'd fill you in on a few facts as to why we get good support. Norwich has a population of around 200000 if you include the suburban areas but the Norwich City council area has a population of only 129500, however we only have 1 team to support and you have 2. In addition Norfolk has a population of approximately 800k and there is only 1 team in the county so as a result we are no worse off for potential support than most of the larger cities such as youselves. The club also make it easy for fans to afford season tickets by offering interest free credit terms which enables fans to pay over 9 months. When we were in the prem we could have sold over 35000 tickets every game if we could fit them in and many more for the bigger teams. I'm sure your support will increase if you keep playing as well as you have been but if you reach the prem it is almost impossible to survive without spending serious cash, at least we managed to beat Manure while we were in the prem which made it all worthwhile. Anyway good luck for the rest of the season except when you play us at Ashton Gate of course.

Football is part of your lifestyle though.

You only require subtle changes, 1 less drink out each trip to the pub, save what, £3-£12 a week...

Just an idea isnt it.

Yes, but why change your lifestyle spending for a board thats squeezing your wallet for all its worth (and they will continue to do so). So the question is, when will it end as you can only change so much of your other lifestyles spending habits ?.

It seems that now some people have said enough is enough, taken a step back, and re-evaluated the situation after taking their BCFC blinkers off, and have come to the unfortunate financial concluesion that they wont be taken for a mug by the board anymore.

Norwich fan here, well done on your win yesterday which was thoroughly deserved. Have been reading this post with interest and just thought I'd fill you in on a few facts as to why we get good support. Norwich has a population of around 200000 if you include the suburban areas but the Norwich City council area has a population of only 129500, however we only have 1 team to support and you have 2. In addition Norfolk has a population of approximately 800k and there is only 1 team in the county so as a result we are no worse off for potential support than most of the larger cities such as youselves. The club also make it easy for fans to afford season tickets by offering interest free credit terms which enables fans to pay over 9 months. When we were in the prem we could have sold over 35000 tickets every game if we could fit them in and many more for the bigger teams. I'm sure your support will increase if you keep playing as well as you have been but if you reach the prem it is almost impossible to survive without spending serious cash, at least we managed to beat Manure while we were in the prem which made it all worthwhile. Anyway good luck for the rest of the season except when you play us at Ashton Gate of course.

Interest free credit sounds like a good idea. I'm a season ticket holder and reckon it is good value but can understand that some people can't pull that amount out all at once. I also think City make iyt hard for casual fans to come along. People have told me they have turned up at the stadium to try to get in and nobody is very helpful and the system of buying tickets is pretty incomprehensible if you have never done it. Why can't we just have a cash turnstile for the casual fans?

Yes, but why change your lifestyle spending for a board thats squeezing your wallet for all its worth (and they will continue to do so). So the question is, when will it end as you can only change so much of your other lifestyles spending habits ?.

It seems that now some people have said enough is enough, taken a step back, and re-evaluated the situation after taking their BCFC blinkers off, and have come to the unfortunate financial concluesion that they wont be taken for a mug by the board anymore.

Why waste your money on alcohol to just pi$$ it straight back out again when that money could go towards the club you "support"

Id rather still go out with mates on friday and saturday night but stay sober so that i can afford to watch City. A lot of poeple claim City IS a big part of their life so why not accomadte your lifestyle to be able to watch them?

Why waste your money on alcohol to just pi$$ it straight back out again when that money could go towards the club you "support"

I didnt say anything about alcohol ??? Not all of the missing 25,000 fans spend all their money on booze. Going to football used to be a good cheap way of entertainment for 90 mins, now its an expensive 90 mins that people are reluctant to fork out for as the money can be better used elsewhere. I am referring to the poor fans who cant afford to go now btw.

Archived